/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get Nintendo games
OR
>Where do I get PS3 games
OR
>Where do I get 3DS games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hrydgard
twitter.com/helios748
mednafen.github.io/documentation/pce.html
github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/1549#issuecomment-333072492
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tried, but no luck. Pester shonumi for an updated windows build.

Does frotz count as emulation?

it alright

Reminder that Byuu is hoarding undumped games.

would you?

Would I what? Buy an N64 mini if it came with a bunch of half finished prototypes? No.

>buy

When can emulators start making Big Ass Screen sizes yet?

Years ago.

Does anyone know how to make it so the ports of Castlevania Rondo of Blood and SotN in Dracula X Chronicles don't have issues? They always have the music cut out at random times, have the screen freeze, or just fully crash PPSSPP. I made a thread about it on /v/ and they all told me to just emulate it on Mednafen, but I would really like to have the customizable controls of the PSP port. Oddly the remake runs fine, it's just the ports that have problems.

PPSSPP has numerous problems, despite what autistis will tell you. Development is also more or less dead, so I recommend finding some other way to play those games.

Well fug. Guess I'll have to do with the PC engine one then. Fuck press Up and Attack to use sub-weapons, it makes stairs a fucking pain in the ass.

Also, is there a slight filter on Mednafen? It doesn't look pixel perfect, and is there any way to change it?

>fucking with viewports to get rid of the SuperFX black bars
>turns out the final image is exactly 4:3 after the weird SNES scaling shit

neat

224x192 sucks though

Just use an older version of PPSSPP. 1.2.2 or 1.1.1. From what I've seen compatibility has really only gotten worse since then.

>turn up the resolution in Beetle PSX
>texture warping becomes very noticeable
>turn on texture perspective correction
>textures still wobble

Help.

How is Dreamcast emulation? Apparently the PC port of Soul Reaver is shit and the Dreamcast version is the most polished, but I've been reading mixed things. Should I go for the Dreamcast version or just mess with the settings to polish up the PS1 version?

I can't believe they're still making threads about rpcs3 on /v/.

Does anyone know how to change the filter on Mednafen? I've been looking in the .cfg and I can't find the option that it says it is in the general documentation for it.

Use PCSXR

The DC port just improved the character models and textures. If you can get Dreamcast emulation working well in HD, then that would be best, but from my experiences with DC emulation I feel like I would rather just play the PC port.

Btw the only problem with the PC version is that it doesn't use the Dreamcast models, there's no reason to choose the PS1 version over it if you're on PC.

I don't even care but thanks for the reminder, emugen would not be emugen without your autistic obsessed ass floating around... I guess

I've heard the PC ports don't even function correctly. Something about running into CPU issues and refusing to start.

Just making sure everyone knows and the ones that do know don't forget.

I haven't been around for a couple of months, is desmume still the only decent ds emulator without using a phone/vc?

MelondDS already works better than anything.

*melonDS

Runs like shit compared to desmume on my PC

Even at such an early version? Is it stable?

vita emulator when

Delete that picture of that disgusting fat elf.

>not using software renderer at native res with overclock and a nice crt shader as the only """enhancements"""
You disgust me. Go use a meme emulator like pcsxr or epsxe.

Not yet user, but is going in that direction, Soon ™
>It's called RPCS3
This joke is less funny each time you're doing it...

>filename
lmao.

By the way, odd question to ask but like some other user mentioned/whined on the last thread this is basically emugossip at the hair salon at this point, so I'll ask anyway. Does anyone have any pictures of any emudevs? It'd be nice to put a face on them.

Pic related, guy behind Bloodlust Software (ie nesticle and genecyst). Rare dev in the sense that wasn't autistic and didn't engage in retarded, pointless drama instead of actually working on his emulator.

Seems like a very ok guy, someone that would be WORKING IN A FUCKING PROJECT INSTEAD OF POSTING GAYS ASS PICS OF DEVS ON Veeky Forums, FUCK YOU user, WHERE IS YOUR EMULATOR?!

yes

I wonder who could be behind this post.

No seriously, I tried it.

What games did you try?

github.com/hrydgard
twitter.com/helios748
Byuu is a fat, gay, 33 year old white guy.
Endrift aka Vicki Pfau aka Jeffrey Pfau is a tranny dev, but is a good emudev and doesn't partake in drama.
Ryphecha is probably Fiora Aeterna aka Jason Garrett-Glaser, another tranny emudev but is a smarmy piece of shit.

>Byuu is a fat, gay, 33 year old white guy.
34 for you, my fellow user

Well I'll be honest, I only tried one, Etrian Odyssey.

Why do people think Recaptcha is Fiora? As if Fiora would ever do something and not take credit for it.

Now for some more Libretro boys!
-I have no idea what SP looks like. It wouldn't surprise me if he's actually attractive, but his shit personality is so off-putting that he's living a bitter, robot existence, creating a loop that feeds into said shit personality.
-Pretty sure muddy (brad) is fat.
-Themaister is pic related (good guy, no bully)
-Hunterk ???
-Radius ???
-r500 aka Andrés Suárez. Couldn't find a pic, but chances are he's just your average looking mestizo guy.

Fiora nicely fills in the missing gaps in mednafen dev's online presence. Until there is concrete proof, like an official face reveal (and no, not that one shitty picture that is only found on cuckchan and could be anyone's sister), there's a greater than zero chance that Jason = Ryphecha.

>imblyig byuu posts here

Less complaining about getting called a pedo, which is a joke, and nobody actually believes that, and more being entertaining and fighting capitalism on twatter, tovarish

>and nobody actually believes that
I legitimately believe he's a pedophile though. He plays the part too well for it to be a joke.

pce.scanlines, pce.shader, pce.special, pce.stretch.
mednafen.github.io/documentation/pce.html

Hyllian made a CRT shader that tries to identify the 2D elements in the image to process them specifically. I forgot its name but it's in the common shader repo.

Pic related is an old screenshot when we were working on it, I believe it looks better now. Notice that it's not flawless, for instance the shadow of the characters are not 2D so everything in them is still pixelated.

Like shota doesn't make you a pedo.

why

Oh yeah I'm sure employers would have been very impressed with his tarblob source releases, shitty website with broken links, complete lack of even the most basic documentation for anything, and pages long rants on his forum, and shota avatafagging.

Veeky Forums is ruining his image.

Whatever you say, fucko.

What should I use to emulate pokemon hg/ss? Wiki says desmume but /vp/ says desmume is shit

Desmume is shit, but right now it's kind of your only option beside real hardware.

desmume is your best option right now. it's shit but there's no competition.

Fatties are disgusting

Post healthy dark elf instead

I bet you think liking 2d traps is gay too.

Ok user shota is one thing but liking 2d traps is gay.

You better take that back.

Don't fool yourself, deep down you know you like the dick.

I wonder who could be behind THIS post

god damn, i want to feed that elf

It is a portable interpreter, virtual machine, or engine. If you count it as emulation then you may as well count the original versions as emulation as well.
And you might count a lot of other software as emulation instead. Like almost anything made in Java, like the majority of old phone software and much of Android.
Maybe even WINE.

It's really subjective.
I personally believe that yes, frotz counts, as does WINE(笑). Because they are for running software outside of all that software's original system/s.
But not VM based software, in the instance of their original systems. Because they are the original, and not simply emulation thereof.

>WINE(笑)
What did he mean by this.

(lol), because WINE Is Not an Emulator.

宗教は毒だと思う

Perspective correction is for warping, not wobble.
Wobble is from vertex locations being calculated strictly to fixed point locations at the native resolution.
PXGP operation mode (Used to be known as GTE accuracy in PCSX-R plugins) should reduce wobble. But may cause compatibility issues, holes between surfaces, and/or texture overlapping.

同意する

Bump

What game? Software or GL/Vulkan? Some games don't work well with PGXP

Excalibur 2555 AD. x4 resolution and vulkan.

So you've enabled "PGXP operation mode", "PGXP vertex cache" and "PGXP perspective correct texturing" and it doesn't help?

Did you try to set the operation mode to memory + CPU?

Otherwise maybe it's just one of these game that's PGXP-unfriendly.

Did all that. It fixed the texture wobbling, but fucked up the graphics in numerous other ways.

Her shoulders are clipping through each other, the pause menu text is garbled, health bar is going nuts.

That's the way the devs intended man, don't fight it.

The devs of the game or the devs of Retroarch?

I heard things were amiss with the PC port of FF9. Can someone explain? Should I emulate instead?

Yes

It's a matter of taste really, I think some of their "enhancements" are really out of place. In particular I don't like how they filtered the backgrounds and I don't like the new text font. I find that the 2D and 3D elements clash weirdly.

It's a matter of taste really.

Latest Retroarch build crashes instantly.

Well click the "Check online for a solution" button, duh.

Does that ever works?

You know I think once I used it and it did point me to a fix, but I don't remember what the problem was

>Hyllian made a CRT shader that tries to identify the 2D elements in the image to process them specifically. I forgot its name but it's in the common shader repo.

Why bother? 2D elements are textures. Just do texture filtering.

Easier said than done, the mapping of the backgrounds is often split in many small triangles and it can be tricky to correctly filter the edges. Furthermore texture filtering tends to introduce artifacts at the edge when you have several layers and/or transparent pixels.

I can't find the screenshot right now but if you try the naive texture filtering beetle uses in FFIX you'll see plenty of seams in the background. It could be done a lot better though, I think Pete's plugin does it correctly for instance. It still has issues with layers however.

Ideally I think the best way would be to render the 3D and 2D elements in separate framebuffers, shade them separately and then blend them. Maybe I'll give it a try some day, but handling everything correctly (especially transparency) will be tricky.

Seriously just use PCSXR, it's PGXP implementation has much better compatibility.

I know the first Metal Gear Solid got a graphics overhaul, even though it's still the blocky first game. In any news on the second getting any luck?

Are you talking about Twin Snakes? I'm not sure you know what you're wishing for.

Read again. He's talking about the second MGS game.

Read again what you told me to read again and then re-read my response with that in mind.

He means Metal Gear 2 on the MSX you dipshits

Don't be dense, he's obviously talking about Peace Walker, the second game in chronological order.

Friendly reminder that m64p is still bugged.

github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/1549#issuecomment-333072492

I installed an old version of the Rice plugin for PJ64 so I could rip level models, but it seems to have bugged the shit out of PJ64 as a result, causing it to take a long fucking time to open the program and then again while loading a game.
I deleted all PJ64 files, scoured my registry and deleted anything relating to emulators, PJ64, and the Rice plugin itself, and then re-installed PJ64. The problem still persists.
I searched around, but the only thing I could find was your typical "lol i'll pm you" solution.

What do?

Metal Gear got a graphics overhaul?

pm'd you the solution

The PS2 version of Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex seems to be the best one.
Anyone disagree?

>vulkan
Are you literally retarded? You do understand that both the OpenGL and Vulkan renderers are broken, right? Software is the only one that consistently works and doesn't shit the bed when various effects are displayed. OpenGL for example, completely lacks mask bit emulation, and Vulkan can't display certain effects that are widely used in most squareshit rpgs.

The simple answer is that either A) you didn't actually delete everything related to that old installation (appdata config folder or something maybe), or B) that's how it always ran on your system.

Those are your only two options.

The artifact he's getting in this particular case are due to PGXP messing up, not the GL renderer. You're right about the rest though.

Well I know damn well it isn't option B. If it were, not only would I be noticing it, I wouldn't have found any mention of it when I searched for a solution.

Neither PJ64 nor the plugin touch appdata. If they did, this would be 100x easier to fix. They save everything to config files in their own folders, and to the registry. I wouldn't have even thought to check the registry until I searched for a solution, and unfortunately, there was no mention of specific registry keys to get rid of, so I'd have to comb through it. That's obviously not something I want to do, so I figured someone here might have some insight.

Stop listening to all the ledditors spouting that. DeSmuME is very good. It just has some rendering issues in a few games due to bad design decisions from when little was known about the DS.