Careers in finance

Will someone here redpill me on careers in finance? I'm a finance student here and don't know what career path I should be looking into. Thanks.

You can wear that shirt to my office and kneepads and I'll teach you

Finance Manager for a large Chevrolet Dealership in the Midwest. Ask questions if you'd like.

Is a career in finance in general lucrative ? I don't really go to an elite school so I'm assuming investment banking just isn't a career option for me. Also, is every career in finance as soul sucking and boring as everyone says it is? What salary should I be looking to be making? I just need some direction. I abruptly went into finance after dropping computer science because I loathed everything about CS

>those fucking eyes
4/10
What are your responsibilities, how much do you make and how hard of a job is it to get. Ivyfag car guy looking for a plan B in case IB doesnt work out

They're all being replaced by robots

Director of Hospital finance here.
AMA

Also, finance and operational analysis are monayyyyy

same asResponsibilities, how do you get there, salary, any tips

That position is a glorified car salesman. Not really a finance job. You don't even need a degree to do it.

How into high paying finance jobs?

Responsibilities are vast.. long story short I make sure investments are good ideas (aka new cancer center). I over see financial PERFORMANCE not journal entries and accounting.

Finance and accounting are two completely separate things...

27 yr old
My Bach is accounting
Also have MBA
123k salary

Hints to success:
Get a good GPA - gets you in the door.

Get a Master's WHILE WORKING ( I've found employers eat that shit up if you can balance both)

Learn absolutely everything you can about the bottom level of operations when you start a job

So am I fucked if my gpa is a 3.2?

>eyes

who is this big titted demon?

boobs

3.5 or better greatly increases your chances

if you want to get into IB you pretty much have to go to a private east coast school. that's where they recruit. otherwise it's very difficult to break in unless you have the right network and connections.

cfa is useful for portfolio research and management but not much else. they wont tell you that. the banks/HF/PE dont give a shit about cfa, they prefer private east coast MBA.

most finance jobs are boring and have mediocre pay. if you're going to a state school in a flyover state, this is where you'll end up. this includes almost all back office jobs. however, it can be a comfy life just don't expect glory.

best finance jobs are in NYC and Boston. SF and Chicago are ok. other places, it really depends on the company and who's running it or what function/department is there.

insurance can be another route but don't know much about it.

i can keep going if you want.

you should

5 Yr corporate banking top 15 MBA student here. making 85k as an portfolio mgr.

youll top out at 120k or so as an analyst/portfolio manager.

after that it comes down to sales. lik everywhere else, the big bucks is on your ability to sell and have big relationships

the real money is in hedge funds. for that though you truly truly need to be skilled, even innovative.MBA and shit will get you a conversation, but can you talk investment strategy like a pro? lots of that field is going towards quants though, which requires programming/algo/statistics expertise.

watch Anton Kreil's presentation on investment banking.
making anything 250k and below is shit in the big picture and wont get you out of wagecucking your life away. its the harsh truth ive learned since doing my MBA.

so basically what youre saying is i chose a shitty career path... fuck i knew i should of just stayed with CS but i seriously fucking despised programming

honestly though every career path is shit.

at least you didnt drop 50k to go to law school to be making 45k working 12 hour work days being a human find and replace

you didn't drop 200k++ for 12 years of additional schooling and unbelievable stress/intensity for the chance of getting a lucrative specialty in med school, with high probability you end up in bumfuck, usa making 120k as a family doctor for people who don't listen to you and are ultimately worthless pieces of trash

my MBA program is filled with 120k+ engineers heavily disgruntled and dispirited with their careers and where the industry is going

and programming, well you said you hated it

How important is GPA for the field or getting a foot in the door? My GPA is pretty trash sitting at 3.0 but ive got about abother year to work on it. Should I stress about it or focus on other shit?

Stress on it.

It tremendously helps you getting a foot in the door (an interview). Reputation of university is probably even more helpful, but it's not like you can do anything about it after the fact.

Having spent a few months consulting a large insurer as our client, I wouldn't advise most people to get into insurance.
It's basically filled with accountants and ex-accountants who ended up in some management position... and no offense but accountants are just so incredibly risk averse and boring people that it makes for a pretty bad work environment.