/hg/ - Halo General

#355 - Backwards Compatibility Edition

Welcome to Halo General. Here we discuss the Halo games, expanded universe, and fan projects. Discussion of general Xbox developments, news, and games is also allowed unless stated otherwise.

>"Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare" is now available
- Can be purchased for $19.99 individually or included with the Halo Wars 2 Complete Edition
- Includes a new campaign where players take control of the Banished and return to High Charity to combat a flood outbreak on the Ark
- Also includes the new flood-themed survival mode Terminus Firefight, as well as new blitz cards and 37 new achievements

>Latest Halo Community Update
halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/happy-birthday-halo-3

>Important Halo Links and Notes
pastebin.com/TEdXes5c

>Halo 5 Spartan Company
halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halo general

>Xbox One clips and screenshots
xboxdvr.com/
xboxclips.com/

>>>Halo News

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/5CUQ6ESm
youtu.be/WChTqYlDjtI
halo.wikia.com/wiki/Example
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You are currently browsing /hg/ thread #355.
The featured map is "Crater (Night)"

That's it. That's all of them. I've gone through every single multiplayer map across the main series, as well as even Halo 2 Vista, Halo: Online, ODST, and Reach firefight maps. The only thing left that could technically constitute as multiplayer from one of those games is Spartan Ops, and I don't think I'm going to bother. Hope you enjoyed the ride. It's finished.

>Previous 50 threads
#354 - Complete #353 - Flood Returns #352 - Halo 3 Anniversary #351 - BC NOW #350 - BC when #349 - Alone, Unwanted, and Forgotten #348 - Feet First Into Hell #347 - Reach's 7th Birthday #346 - Hot Glue
#345 - NFL
#344 - Late Summer Glow
#343 - 343 Industries
#342 - Superintendent
#341 - YapYap the Destroyer
#340 - Flash Flood
#339 - Halo needs another anime desu
#338 - SPV3
#337 - Compromise
#336 - And now it begins
#335 - Action Figures
#334 - Veto
#333 - Updated Pastebin
#332 - The Big Chill
#331 pt. 2 - Press F for Serina
#331 pt. 1 - Serina
#330 - Operation Spearbreaker
#329 - The Longest Night
#328 - Final Four
#327 - Summer Celebration
#326 - And it was all going so well
#325 - Summer Content
#324 - Inane Arguments
#323 - Jesus falls for the third time
#322 - Fucking WHY?
#321 - Technical Difficulties
#320 - Awakening the Nightmare
#319 - Post Tournament Vacation
#318 - Icons of War
#317 - At least do it right
#316 - We are still here
#315 - Never Give Up
#314 - Final
#313 - Xbox One X
#312 - E3 2017
#311 - Imagine Being Chief in this Scene
#310 - SGT Johnson
#309 - 16-Bit
#308 - 8-Bit
#307 - Banished
#306 - Post GT

For even older /hg/ threads, check the archive here:
pastebin.com/5CUQ6ESm

Brah, it's been a good ride.
Give yourself a pat on the back

How long have you been doing the map thing for? How many maps total?

Honestly man, if I did that shit every thread, I'd want a vacation when It's done too, if that's what you're implying.

Cuckhead

much appreciated

It was an honor numberfag. I will continue the fight for numbers in the OP should a conflict arise

That's dedication. It's time for you to take a break.

This was the first post. So the number of maps would be... 170?
It'a been quite a journey to say the least.

Thanks guys. Glad to know for some people it was more than just a silly tradition.

>Jul 2016
Holy shit.

Damn...

Where's the larger Halo 3 playerbase? BC or MCC?

youtu.be/WChTqYlDjtI

BC

Shouldn't Halo 3 be on the left and Halo 4 be on the right?

No. It's going round clockwise.

Would anyone like to help me get 3 firefight acheevos for ODST? I need Chasm Ten, Security Zone, and Rally Point. I have been missing these for years and want to finally 100% ODST.

Ah, I see

I will help you
GT: THE ONE BIG RED

One sec let me add you.

Are you guys dead yet?

Next custom game session when?

Note from your amazing obviously future 343 map creator

/hg/ arena will have a + shape with the top floor being a little bigger. However do not worry all you people. I have some little tricks for that top floor. Hint: Hidden buttons.

Your first screen will come later tonight

>Also I am naming this map in pic related
"God Help Us"
(It has nothing to do with /hg/ arena

Also. First good response names it

>Name this 343 tier map

Mouse Trap

Depends on what kind of customs youre asking for

This

I kinda like that.

It reminded me of the board game so yeah.

How come no one here plays ElDewrito 5.1? Thinking about making a Google Drive Quickie that everyone could just download-and-play.

Then again, it might have files scattered all over the place.

Is there gonna be a party on tonight?

Because it's bad.
It's just Halo 4 modded to be like 3.

Reminder that if you liked Halo 4, you have autism.

Yes, and?

sorry

How would everyone be if Halo 4 alone got a PC port tomorrow? post images.

I'm sorry for your autism.

i'd be even more angry at 343 for choosing halo 4

ayyy Killsownz

Halo 4 had some good modding potential.

Are you saying this because of gameplay reasons? Or aesthetic reasons? You do know that there are no sprint playlists and it plays identical to Halo 3, right? You do know that you can just FMM all of the Halo 4 assets out of it, right?

It's Halo 4's code with halo 4's assets. As I said, you have to mod it to make it like 3. And it's never 100%, so only a small handful of people play it.

How can it be Halo 4's code if it can H3 maps?

Are you serious? It also has a Halo 2 map, so surely it's Halo 2's code, right?

>Are you serious? It also has a Halo 2 map, so sure it's Halo 2's code, right?
RETARD, it is the exact geometry from the H3 versions. The Turf Remake is just that: A remake. Also, Halo 3 forge. The only thing from 4 and online are the player models, vehicles, weapons, UI, and menu.

>one map file was exported to Halo 4, therefore it was Halo 3 all along
>please ignore things like sprint, the dmr, references to ordinance in the code, and that the textures used in the Diamondback are from Spartan Ops and not Halo 3

Halo Online came with Sandtrap FROM HALO 3, Diamondback was a reskinned Avalanche FROM HALO 3, Guardian FROM HALO 3, High Ground FROM HALO 3
>please pretend that things like sprint, new weapons, ordinance and textures can't be added to Halo 3's engine
>please also ignore that Halo 4 was built on Halo: Reach's engine and it would not have been possible to translate H3 maps into Reach

>it would not have been possible to translate H3 maps into Reach
Please prove it isn't. Your argument is that it's Halo 3 because of only map files, and that literally every other file is from either Reach or 4. And then there's still Turf, which since you're saying that it's impossible to import maps from one game to another, means that it's halo 2.

You're too basic. the Turf remake was a ground up remake made for Halo Online, just like the other Halo Online exclusive maps.
H3 maps can't be put into Halo Reach because particle effects are different, texture mapping indexes are different, liquids are done completely in different ways, Reach suffered from z-fighting, Reach had a less powerful lighting, reflection and shadow render, basically, the way the games rendered the scene was different with one another, not to mention that Reach was a bigger game and its engine were more accessible to the devs with more attributes to tweak. If you tried to port a map over, the most you would get if even that were a wireframe of coordinate points by which the geometry would have been on, and even then, you would have to apply boundaries, port over the texture set and CLUT and remap every single one, then you would have to replace all of the map assets, and redo all of the lighting and effects, and you may as well have a re-imagining of the same map instead.

>people who make a pc port and remake a map from 2 can't either port a map or remake a map from 3
If your only argument is the map files, but literally everything else is Reach and 4, then I'm going to say that you're wrong. Your own evidence works against you.

If it truly were Halo 4, then why aren't there any Reach or Halo 4 maps?

Because nobody liked them. You also still have to back up Turf if this is your argument.

http s ://eldewrito . com/
>Look under Exclusively on Windows
>Extends Saber Interactive's Halo 3 derived PC exclusive - Halo Online.
From the horses mouth.

>he doesn't know what that means
>he wasn't here for when the threads were on /v/
The only traces of 3 specifically are ODST/Mythic, which is why the ODST HUD is in there. But those were carryovers to Reach, which also showed up in 4. The code itself is 4, since it mentions Firefight and Spartan Ops, as well as has sprint as its own button that doesn't swap out for any other abilities, even with modifying it.
It's "derived" from 3 in the same way that 4 is "derived" from 3, because 4 is basically a mod of Reach which is a mod of 3. And Halo Online is just a mod of 4.

You're going to have to explain this in more detail. Just because Halo 4 was a highly modified version of Halo 3 doesn't mean ALL highly modded versions of Halo 3 are Halo 4. Halo: Reach isn't Halo 4. Halo 3: ODST isn't Halo 4. Halo 5: Guardians isn't Halo 4. So why is Halo Online equal to Halo 4 then?

>Why does a game that uses code from 4, textures from 4, models from 4, HUDs from 4, sounds from 4, gameplay from 4, and named references from 4 Halo 4? Surely because it has a few maps from 3 then therefore it's 3. Please ignore that I keep dodging the map from 2!

If it's Halo 3's engine and rendering engine, It's Halo 3. Simple as that. I could import all of Halo 3's assets into Halo 4's engine. Is it then not Halo 4? I am not dodging the Turf remake, I have repeatedly stated that it is a ground up remake with new geometry.

I have it, dude. Add Neirn#2016 on discord if you want to play sometime.

Autism autism autism autism autism

>I could import all of Halo 3's assets into Halo 4's engine. Is it then not Halo 4?
That's exactly what happened. Your terrible argument is that because a map from an older game showed up, therefore it's 3 and not the game it was ported into.
> I have repeatedly stated that it is a ground up remake with new geometry.
Please prove that Guardian was not done in this way. And then please somehow undo the code of Halo Online so that it's no longer Halo 4, because it always will be.

My argument is not that a map from an older game showed up in Halo Online, that is a gross representation of what I had said. Is your argument literally that because it is not a 1:1 remake, that it does not qualify as "highly derivative of Halo 3"?
>That's exactly what happened.
According to (You), Halo Online is derived from Halo 3 in the same way that Halo 4 is derived from Halo 3. There seems to be a contradiction in your thinking.

Autism

It's never been Halo 4. Assets like sounds and models from Halo 4 were slapped into the ODST engine which is a slightly modified Halo 3 engine. Microsoft and Saber have access to Halo 3's source code, so they can implement features like Sprint and Assassinations more easily than the ElDewrito devs, for example, could. Porting a bunch of Halo 3 maps (which had a much more sophisticated lighting engine than Halo 4 and Reach btw) would be retarded. It's easier to just reuse what already works and add a few original maps. That's why the majority of Halo Online maps are from Halo 3 and those that aren't are not in any other Halo games, Turf remake aside which is basically what Blackout is to Lockout.

>According to (You), Halo Online is derived from Halo 3 in the same way that Halo 4 is derived from Halo 3. There seems to be a contradiction in your thinking.
Nothing's contradicted. if it were, you would have made that point. You're now just going "n-no you" as an argument.

On September 29th, 2017, Friday, at 6:29 PM, said, and I quote,
>It's "derived" from 3 in the same way that 4 is "derived" from 3, because 4 is basically a mod of Reach which is a mod of 3. And Halo Online is just a mod of 4.
Please extrapolate the same arguments you had made earlier.

The argument is sound. The later versions include coding and assets the older versions do not have. Halo Online has the code and assets from 4, as well as the bits and pieces 4 got from earlier games. Please present a counterargument or just stay wrong.

At face value, both ElDewrito and Sabre have stated that it is derived from Halo 3. You're the one making the claim that it is running on the Halo 4 engine, the burden of proof is on you.

Perhaps explained it better.

>claimed it was obvious before solely based on map files
>misinterpreted what the website meant
>wasn't here for when the devs dissected the code on /v/ showing it all
>pulls a claim about saber from his ass
>now whines that someone else has to make his argument for him while demanding proof that he already has on his own computer, but refuses to look at
Deep down in your heart, you know I'm right and that's what kills you, isn't it? Go check for yourself on the files that you have, otherwise you'll just claim I wrote stuff in. No matter what I post, you'll deny it without evidence to back you up. So go take a peek at your own files.

What that user is saying is false, but it doesn't play "identical" to 3

Flippant pls stop calling for bait.
I kno you're new, but youre better than this.

>calling
Falling *

He's a namefag. He's not better than anything.

Somebody said some bullshit. I have to get to the bottom of this.

Hey everybody, look! It's Halo 4!

>had to heavily install mods to try and make a fake point
At least try.

>what is fmm

>tfw no Halo 5: Master Chief & Friends Superstars Adventures in Dreamland

>checking some boxes and pushing a button to apply some model swaps is now "heavy modding"
Boy, I wonder what you consider the mods on Halo Custom Edition to be.

Wait, do you think Eldewrito is the base version of the game? It doesn't even have the Halo 3 armors in without extensive modding. It took months to put those in.

No, I don't think ElDewrito is the base version of the game, not that that's relevant since ElDewrito uses the default armors anyway. The point is that Halo Online is and has always been based off of Halo 3: ODST's engine. Besides, the animations for assassinations and sprinting were taken from Reach, suggesting that an implementation closer to Reach and not Halo 4. That's pure speculation on my part, but you haven't provided a single piece of credible evidence that Halo Online is Halo 4 with maps from 3.

Don't lie. I have provided evidence. The files themselves pull references to things from 4. On top of that, the models, textures, and artstyle are from 4 as well, as with things like the map Diamondback being made from Spartan Ops/Requiem assets.
By your own logic, the only "evidence" that this is ODST is one misinterpreted quote from a website, yet the game somehow has assets and elements from 4 by pure magic.

Assets and features, user. Assets and features. Assets that can be modded out, and features that can be disabled if desired by the host. It's the Halo 3: ODST engine.

>have to remove the assets and disable the features that 4 added to pretend like it's ODST
This is just sad.
If I make a custom server for Left 4 Dead 2 that removes melee weapons, the bile bomb, the jockey, charger, spitter, and swaps the weapon models out for the old ones, is it L4D2 or L4D1?

What's sad? The fact that a grown ass man is so lazy that he wants to install the game, but won't spend another five minutes customizing it to his liking? So he goes on a chinese basket weaving forum pretending that 2 + 2 is 5?

I'll show you lazy

>now claiming that it's odst because somebody else doesn't play a dead game anymore
Geez, this really IS Halo 4, even in community!

Wait, so it Halo 3: ODST with Halo 4 assets, or is it Halo 4 with Halo 3 maps?

The latter. ODST didn't have Spartan Ops.

Even this one?

halo.wikia.com/wiki/Example

The former. The user arguing that it's Halo 4 is retarded.

>tfw no ringworld videogame

next map vote when

Not Halo.