/mcg/ - Minecraft General

Previous thread →

► 1. WELCOME

We discuss Minecraft, modpacks, projects, building ideas, etc...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

[ ! ] For 1.10+ Use foamfix and Optifine with terrain animated turned off

► 2. NEWS

>[24 sep 2017] Noodlor's World-o-Walls (redux version) is completed! Including a world-download (1.12).
imgur.com/a/dQmq1

Twilight Forest is out for 1.12

► 3. USEFUL LINKS

>/mcg/ General text (use it to contribute news and info for the next thread!)
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-op

>Modding Tools & documentation
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-modfaq
mcforge.readthedocs.io
github.com/TOLoneWolf/curseDownloader

>Server list (own a server? Please move to the new Serblist.com)
serblist.com
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0Nywo6sZcexcYb46hTOfAwElaeUlPoCC4DKRFcMWYQ (Old)

>Ideas & Inspiration
mcnoodlor.imgur.com/
elworrier.imgur.com/
imgur.com/a/JPif9

>Castlefag's map
mega.nz/#!h3hi0TQR!areDzeQYr6RACXyDX-HE49BEIePIHze3liNoXg6Dhqg

Shameless reposting because fuck it I need more ideas

After months of delaying it, I finally want to complete my railtracks, my bases were all too far from each other so I left it halfway done. The problem is that I don't need to transport things with trains since I'm too far in late game but I still want to do so.
So what are some industrial things that I could build to connect the whole thing? I mean things like an open quarry, an oil refinery and varied products industries. It doesn't need to have an actual porpuse I just want to build factories and make automatization for the sake of it.

I currently have:
>tree farm disguised as sawmill and lumberyard
>bottling water factory
>main base
>military base with port
>WMD safehouse/ spacial facility
>Abandoned research military hangar in the desert
I plan to do
>(proper) Oil refinery
>More random factories
>Airport
>Open quarry
>Deep Sea Base
Any idea of what else could I do?

dwarven bunker. like the one from the fellow ship of the ring

Which servers see the most play for /mcg/ and is there a discord that anyone frequents that is half decent for organizing and playing with other people? I Played Devoted MC a bit and the fact that there's an 800 block range for chat makes the game feel like I'm playing solo.

anyone recommend me a good weather mod or season mod

Can you make skylands in RFTools with void dimlets(or something else)?

Is there a 1.7.10 mod that fixes the skybox being shit in floating mod maps yet

oh fug

explain

Hey friend. I'm working on a weather themed modpack to play with. Maybe if others have interest we could join up on a serb. Weather2 is nice making weather local instead of everywhere with hurricanes and tornado. Tough as nails adds hypothermia heatstroke and seasons with items to help prevent those.

cute mob model wolves

Pretty much only Oceanserb is active. I'm hosting a TNFC server but I'm not sure if anyone still plays it. It never really picked up beyond 2-3 other anons so I kind of gravitated to other packs.

I'm doing industrial/modern/futurist things only so that doesn't fit but nice idea.

Specialty poses and possible animations features may come in the future.

Anyone understand castlefag's map?
I start in an insanely dark room with no exit and an npc with one set of lines and nothing else

check archives for where he explained the things

Nothing there mentions the beginning
Sorry mentally retarded

Im making headway into ESSENTIALCRAFT 3/4
(pseudo Thaumcraft+Techmod)

The pros:
Neato mechanics, items, blocks and stuff
The cons:
Microcrafty up the ass, ugly as fuck textures (32x/64x?), and loadsabugs.
The bugs range from crashing, to deleted inventories to getting a stack of items that constantly refills.

Oh, and the language and naming conventions.
"You need a MRUCU to get MRU to MRVO to MYCHEMICALROMANCE to-" etc etc and so on. Due to lore wankery, You actually have to read the book to find out how something works or what something does.

are you sure?
I mean he documented himself making the entire thing in /mcg/ because OC is nice and jej is ded, there should be something about the beginning somewhere in there
give a good root

I'm really starting to love Signpic.

>"If the game is too hard, remember it's meant to be played on EASY. EASY is normal. NORMAL IS HARD. HARD IS NIGHTMARE MODE and not recommended.

>Do not break any blocks.

>This game is meant to be completed with a shield. Use your shield to block your enemies' attacks. Though hard, the beta testers managed to beat it with an iron set.
We call this the "iron challenge". Feel free to try as well. By the end of the game, you should have a lot of overpowered items and strategies to beat the different bosses.

>Natural creatures are all considered arthropods. Demons and undead are all considered undead. Use bane weapons to your advantage, find out their immunities.

>Be careful with your answers to NPCS. IF you choose not to do some quest you may not have another chance later.

>Be careful with your choices. They may lead to one or another ending.

>The original idea was for you to find the 15 tomes to continue the quest. Just find the number 15 for the time being and it will auto-advance the main quest.

>If there are any bugs, report them.

"Be careful with your answers to NPCS. IF you choose not to do some quest you may not have another chance later."

I'll try going thru all the options

>copied oceanserb's oregen for a modpack
how TF am i supposed to get iron

how do people use there turbo autism to remember what mods do and how to use them

have good intuition

knowing how to tame or craft is one thing but remembering entire mods is another

Experience and time

which is why you're not supposed to remember them, but get a general feel for how they work and draw from that for both mods you've used before and mods you've never used before
there is nothing new under the sun and most minecraft mods draw from tekkit classic
you just figure it out

According to the OceanSerb Etherpad:
Ore distribution guide:
if the y level is "number +-number", that means that the distribution is centered on the first number, getting progressively rarer the farther away from the y level until the max range of the second number.

for example Infused Shards have a distribution of y32 +-27 OCEAN, which means that they are most common at y-level 32, and will occur less frequently the farther away from y32 you get until reaching the limits of y5 and y59. OCEAN means that they only occur in the ocean.

good rule of thumb is if you are trying to get a certain ore to mine at the first y-level mentioned unless it is a "number-number" range.

Some ores have 2 distributions, so they have 2 common y-levels. most of the time this is to create mountain ores. (try mining in the mountains)

if the y level is a range like "number-number", then the distribution can occur anywhere within the range.

LAND
Certus Quartz: y43 +-26, y193 +-78 LAND
Bauxite: y62.5 +-22.5, y251.5 +-67.5 LAND
Sulfur: y11 +-5 LAND VERTICAL VEINS
Saltpeter: y64 +-5 DESERT
Amber: y51.5 +-12.5 LAND
Cinnabar: y26 +-26 LAND
Copper: y40-96 LAND
Tin: y38 +-17, y178 +-51 LAND
Silver: y17.5 +-12.5, y116.5 +-37.5 LAND
Lead: y23 +-12, y133 +-36 LAND
Ferrous: y12.5 +-7.5, y101.5 +-22.5 LAND
Clay: y54-74 LAND EXCEPT DESERT & MOUNTAIN
Coal Clouds: y64 +-64 LAND
Coal Deposits: y64 +-64 LAND
Iron: y32 +-32, y160 +-96 LAND
Gold: y16 +-16, y112 +-48 LAND
Redstone: y8 +-8 LAND

OVERWORLD
Apatite: y56-184
DIamond: y8 +-8
Lapis: y16 +-4
Emerald: y16 +-12 MOUNTAIN
Shiny: y17.5 +-12.5 VERTICAL VEINS

OCEAN
Vinteum: y27.5 +-17.5 OCEAN
Chimerite: y47 +-35 OCEAN
Blue Topaz: y45 +-35 OCEAN
Infused Shards: y32 +-27 OCEAN
Grudge: y24 +-16 OCEAN
Polygravel: y40 +-16 OCEAN
Polymetal: y24 +-16 OCEAN
Rutile: y30 +-16 OCEAN

NETHER
Quartz: y59 +-49 NETHER
Firestone: y1-31 NETHER UNDER LAVA

Memory has nothing to do with autism though.

is this some only some one turbo autism can shine light one?

Can you speak english?

I've been up for 20 hours forgive me

I've been pulling 36 hour days for a while now, no excuse for letting yourself go like that.

I meant I've been sleeping few hours and being awake for 20+

Anyone know a good power mod which would fit dwarven or underground theme, nothing to modern

Better with mods? Doesn't it do mechanical power?

Some of Immersive Engineering could fit that. Waterwheels and such.

better with mods and ancient warfare do mechanical, not sure how better with mods handles stuff but I know ancient warfare basically uses RF as a compatibility layer so you can power actual machines with it

sorry for being a brainlet, but this means that for example iron would be most common at y=32 and decrease above and below that, right?

Pretty much... Same for the band at y 160 as well.

"...and will occur less frequently the farther away from y32 you get until reaching the limits of y5 and y59"

Embers?

>spend hours trying to make a comfy house with no exact layout in mind
>unsurprisingly, it's looking bad
>tear it down and go about it again
every single time

>he needs plans

>tfw just finished doing exactly that
make it stop

These fresh memes aren't too terrible, to be honest.

ded

can we talk about minetest

NEI

why would you want to talk about literally nothing
minetest is shit, even shittier than vanilla minecraft

>even shittier than vanilla minecraft
That's quite an achievement.

>finally find a nice tech modpack
>it has computercraft instead opencomputers
into the fucking trash it goes

>modpacks

If you want a Minecraft clone which respects your freedom, try Terasology instead - do note, however, that it needs a GPU stronger than the ones which would respect your freedom to run at a reliable framerate.

what makes minetest so bad? why couldn't they surpass vanilla minecraft?

>what if we took KAMI, cleaned up the code, and put it back in a separate mod

>doing this instead of "ThaumProject"/NX, because the sheer enormity of changes I'd have to make to API/core shit (and the flow on effect of doing so for addons) finally hit me

They're designing an engine first, a game second. That combined with a far more limited API than "not having an API in the first place" Minecraft and a far smaller userbase (because everyone else plays modded Minecraft).

>thinking about checking out FTB again after 3 years
>my old launcher version doesn't really work anymore with the new packs
>go to the FTB site and click download
>TwitchSetup_[plugin-Minecraft].exe
>some Twitch garbage installer
Excuse me, what the fuck is this?

Fuck it, back to MultiMC.

ftb was bought by curse was bought by twitch was bought by amazon

if you want to rip a twitch hosted modpack the beta branch of multimc
don't know why you would, but still

Went exploring on my island (in the process confirming that it is indeed an island). Among other things, found a cozy little hot springs halfway up the bare face of the mountain

I found pumpkins, which I'm not sure I can eat or actually use unless I can get vanilla eggs and sugar and a chisel. I could make jack-o-lanterns I guess

Upon further investigation I found that I gotta cook the pumpkins before eating them, which is fair enough.
I also found an exposed block of cassiterite (not pictured) and a whole bunch of exposed native gold (pictured), neither of which fucking help me because I still haven't found any copper that wasn't panned for.

Also this island has ridiculous amounts of lava pools on the surface, just all over the place. Upon further reflection, that probably explains all the hot springs

After circling the island and confirming that yes, it's a fucking island and no, I still haven't found any traces of useful metal, I built a boat and sailed straight west for an absurdly long time. Of interest is how this worked in VR. If I moved my head around, the boat would shift from side to side to keep it centered on me. Since I sat down while sailing, this didn't really come up except when I tested it on my own. The direction of the movement was determined wholly by the direction of my left controller, presumably since that's how I have my free-move set up. My right hand was free to do whatever, my head could look around as it pleased, and by just resting my left hand on the armrest/my lap and holding down 'go' it was a surprisingly comfy experience.

>don't know why you would, but still
Really just to load up some of my old maps.

After a rather long trip I found land. No ore was immediately apparent, but there were maple trees! My home island doesn't have any of the trees you can make tanin from and maple is one of them, so I nabbed some saplings and logs and went home

>>etc.
Your resolution is fucked up. Fix it.
Do you think anybody wants to look at that terrible VR-ish view?

Oh I also tamed two new dogs earlier.

Once I got home I realized that I still had my render distance set super short from when I was trying different performance tweaks at the start of the save, so I bumped it back up to 16 chunks without issue.

Not sure if you're joking around, and I can't change how screenshots are captured from VR as far as I know

Things look a lot closer when you can actually render them from your home. That's all for now, though. Sorry to whoever wanted me to test traincraft in vr, I just... haven't felt like it yet

>Not sure if you're joking around
Why would I?

Because it isn't a 'vr-like' resolution, it just straight up /is/ the vr resolution- and as before, not sure I can even change that or if it would be a good idea.

I won't deny these screenshots get mixed reactions, but that's life

>mixed reactions
Nobody likes them.
They look retarded.

You can document your journey, but those screenshots will just make most people not even care about it.

oh right,
>no flux stone, so still can't make leather anyway
I can live with that.

Neat.

I like them.

Please continue your vr adventures; I'm too poor to afford one myself.

It's the amazing /mcg/! What will he do next?

Shutup Dan

Embers and Monsters&Dungeons

Benis in the MineyCraftia :DDD

>50% chance that upon world creation the server shits itself on spawn area generation
oh boy cant wait to shuffle trough 300 mods to fix this

>tfw floating islands
>need clay to progress
>cant find any fucking clay because floating islands
the horrors

>flintlock gun mod adds worldgen for no reason
why does everyone need their own fucking ore? it's the only one I can find with a damage config, I just want my muskets as a ranged weapon above bows when I hit steel in tfc

Speak for yourself fuccboi
I love the content, you can go get hit by a bus

Which forge version should I use to begin playing modded minecraft?

Are you making a mod? What is it called? Cute hot monkey pussy btw

Balkon's Weapond Mod adds worldgen?

no, flintlock guns mod. balkon's doesn't have damage in the config as far as I can tell so it's worthless for tfc

so which is better - compootercraft, or open computers?

open computers

Which is better in 1.7.10 for performance Architecturecraft or Carpenter Blocks?
If you do know what you are doing then Open Computers is better but if you barely know something about LUA then Computercraft

I don't think anyone ever benchmarked them.

That's why I want to know, if the performance is better then I would remove the shitton of carpenter blocks I have used since I think they are becoming a problem.

have some nice pictures

I´m loving this. Texture pack? Mods?

Is that Conquest?

Damn!

Grimoire of Gaia.
Helping the main developer try and implement new features. He's been wanting mobs to do special animations for a while now.
That specific mob used to be in the older versions but right now it's just a dummy mob hidden in the code for testing stuff.

So making a server for peaceful shit, should I roll with towny or griefprevention? ik towny has more functionality but has a learning curve, but griefprevention is easier to use, but can get out of control with too much money in circulation

in all which is better?

I don't know why do people keep trying to mod RPG elements into minecraft when the main fun of minecraft is building large things. If you want RPG elements play a RPG game.