Passenger Pigeons once flew over America in flocks so large they could blot out the sun

>Passenger Pigeons once flew over America in flocks so large they could blot out the sun
>Now they're literately all dead.

Why was this sort of thing allowed? And why is it still allowed today?

Other urls found in this thread:

marinesciencetoday.com/2013/02/15/pre-whaling-how-many-humpbacks-existed/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20669043
twitter.com/AnonBabble

t.b.h if a flock of pigeons blot out my sun, I'd shoot those fuckers down myself.

>want hoards of flying rats swarming around in the skies and shitting everywhere

Good riddance.

>And why is it still allowed today?

It's not. Based Nixon created the EPA.

...As opposed to the buffalo that used to blot out the Earth...

Why is it that easy to kill pigeons yet you can't do the same with people?

But the whales, fuck there used to be a lot of those damn things before we discovered useful the oil was...

marinesciencetoday.com/2013/02/15/pre-whaling-how-many-humpbacks-existed/

pigeons don't have guns

Whales are gay. I would love to see those Japanese whalers sink those PETA faggots.

But it wasn't allowed. That's why they shot them.

Tragic
SKY RODENTS BTFO PRAISE AMERICA

Many, many people thought it was impossible that mere human activity could wipe out an entire species. Extinction then was like global warming now.

edgy.jpg
Careful they don't get your mom while they are out there whaling, homie.

WIDF pls go

"Send in the Pigeons"

Everything is allowed, ya dingus. There are no rules, only consequences.

If you think that's bad, wait until you're 57. A lot of animals you know off the top of your head are going to be extinct. And it's not going to be terribly good.

sheltered.txt

What. He was just saying whaling is harmful, how is that sheltered . It's just a fact. You can't cal facts sheltered.

>There are no rules, only consequences.
This is my new mantra. Thank you.

Those weren't common city pigeons, you fucking retard

Th historical accounts of passenger pigeons were obviously fabricated, the people must have been seeing locusts. When you think about it, such a mass extinction should have caused massive ecological disruptions.

>When you think about it, such a mass extinction should have caused massive ecological disruptions.

The Mississippi river valley didn't start out as the world's largest continuous piece of farmland.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20669043

You realize that whenever loggers cut down trees, they are legally obligated to plant two trees to replace it in the future?

We're not running out of trees.

>Why was this sort of thing allowed?

Because slaves needed something to eat, and apparently, Passenger pigeons tasted good.

Slaves were allowed to have guns and hunt pigeons?

He didn't even say whaling is harmful. He just said praising whaling is contrarian.

I'm excited to hear when this "law" came into effect

Not to mention that cutting down trees without replacing them is just bad business for loggers. Most loggers I know own the land they log on... if they depleted its trees they'd go out of business real quick.

new growth =/= old growth

ask literally anybody who works on a tree farm.

It's not just about forest, it's about the loss of old-growth forest.

Pardon my ignorance but what makes old-growth so much better than new growth?

fuckhuge trees, balanced ecosystems, no soil erosion.

bison have been repopulated such that they are available in supermarkets