How the fuck can cavalry be a real threat? Haha nigga just use your spear

How the fuck can cavalry be a real threat? Haha nigga just use your spear.

You tie up their spears with your disposable units and cav hits them in the back like a uranium bomb dropped on a thriving south-east asian city.

It's like stopping a car with only a handgun. Sure, you could maybe shoot the driver or the tyres, but you're probably getting run over.

Horses won't just run into anything

You're right OP, cavalry is a Jewish lie. It never existed.

War horses were trained to.

Well trained war horses would run into most things. Although there were exceptions.
Never heard of war horses running through a good shield wall.

But they've got Lebron

From what I understand, cavalry were best deployed as:

>fighting other cavalry to prevent them from attacking the flanks of the main body of your army
>wheeling into the space behind the main body of the enemy army and charging into them once both armies have engaged each other and holding each other in place
>running down the enemy when they're retreating from battle

There's probably more.

>Units

Videogame historians are the biggest cancer of this board

That is lighter cavalry
With the advent of the stirrup and heavier horse armor cavalry often timed charged straight into infantry

Ah I understand. I had learned most of that from reading/listening to battles from 200 and 50 BCE so I think cavalry wasn't as heavy back then?

The cataphracts at Carrhae

in the ancient world the only people who had developed the use of fully armored heavy cavalry were the persians. Nobody else developed that until first the byzantines and later western european knights

Interesting, thanks.

>the persians
did they and no one else have the stirrup or something? Were they the only ones with large enough horses? Logically other people should have copied them, but it took fucking centuries for the idea to migrate to the west.

That's because medieval people were stupid fucking apes user.

No dipshit.
It was a combination of factors such as the change in warfare to more limited combat brought by the fall of rome, invention of stirrup, and improvement of armor

>it took apes so long to invent a fucking stirrup

lmao

>apes
Fuck off xeno scum when we get to space we are coming after you

The Mongols used them better than anyone else and no one at the tme could stop them. Wouldn't have been able to do the same on foot.

People didn't even ride horses until 2000 years after they were domesticated

Yeah but they'll just get longer spears than you do and poke you first.

Once you stood on the receiving end of a cavalry charge you might think differently. Police still do that.

>Were they the only ones with large enough horses?

yes

European horses were tiny as fuck for the longest time

Seriously though I had a friend telling me the best defence against war elephants would be to tell your archers to aim for their eyes once.

Pretty sure they exist on my mind

How the fuck can spears be a real threat? Haha nigga just use your bow.

How the fuck can infantry be a real threat? Haha nigga just use your spear.

The best defense against war elephants is to move out of the way.

How the fuck can emus be a real threat? Haha nigga just don't be the australian army

or to get your own war elefuns.

This is why horse archers swept the world untill gun powder

GET OUT

I am not sure what thought I found more baffling, that someone would stand and look at a mounted knight charge at him or that someone would charge at the mass of men, in both cases thinking shit's gonna be fine.

Shock factor.
Make routing soldiers keep routing.

This kind of training was specific to certain ages, if I remember correctly.

Not exactly, in the Battle of Waterloo. The Brits made squares of riflemen armed with bayonets and spears. As the French cavalry charged them, they were forced to circle around because the horses absolutely refused to charge the sharp weapons. Horses aren't fucking suicidal.
>pic related

t. Scipio

These are the main uses for cavalry in medieval warfare:

1: To secure the flanks of your infantry, you are going to need a highly mobile unit here).
2: To counter the enemies cavalry.
3. To cycle charge the backs of exposed infantry (mainly to route the unit).
4.To charge down exposed archers and crossbowmen
5. To run down fleeing units.

Maybe in Civilization.

I once stood in a field next to a group of 50 charging horses and the noise and 'power' they generate is terrifying. I can easily see untrained farmers saying fuck that and trying to get out of their way.

Thats because the training was shit though.

And by the time of Waterloo the European horse stock was so depleted and degraded that it still suffers from that war to this day.

> I do this in Total War, therefore it must be true.

I hope you like being a human bowling ball.

good thing untrained farmers weren't participating in battles then

I stood next to some horses at full gallop, and shit is intimidating as fuck. The feeling is visceral, vibrating and intense.

But charging into a packed mass of armed people, mounted? My horse and I might be armoured as fuck but if the enemy doesn't break instantly I don't see how that works out for me.

What is this from? I want to learn more about training calvary horses.

>Horses won't just run into anything
k

Swordsmen of the British empire by D.A. Kinsly

This was just a remark by an officer seeing an untrained remount charge head on into a square while the trained ones didn't

Oh don't be so dramatic. It gets people interested in history and some of it is relatively accurate

Listen, cunt. People could and did charge horses DIRECTLY ONTO BAYONETS. Fuck off.

>some of it is relatively accurate
Depends on the game. I've seen way too many dumbasses here whose views on technological progression, cultural/political evolution, and environmental determinism, are way too aligned with Civ 5 to see them or their ideas as anything other than retarded.

I don't understand how the whole brace the lance and charge worked. I mean, if you pierce someone with the lance at the speed of a horse then that thing is not coming out or it breaks if the other guy is heavily armored.
Someone please explain it to me.

Is dat some eisenwald?

>mean, if you pierce someone with the lance at the speed of a horse then that thing is not coming out
That's fine
>or it breaks if the other guy is heavily armored.
Or it transfers the momentum of horse and rider to the target, hopefully piercing the armor, and possible throwing him from his horse if it doesn't.