/indie/ Indie and Misc. Games General

Last thread:
We're not dead yet, i swear Edition

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as RUINER, Cuphead, Heat Signature, Steamworld Dig 2, LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Darkwood, Card City Nights 2, Braid, Monolith, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

>Link to the winners of the GTP Indie Cup.
pastebin.com/u9TYjkj3

Other urls found in this thread:

s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=38710298409649091261
cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256696123/movie480.webm?t=1506066093
youtube.com/watch?v=LtKQyEtBdJc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplane_camera
youtube.com/watch?v=QIwUpvf2jXY
youtu.be/QIwUpvf2jXY?t=8m41s
darkwoodgame.com/faq/
youtube.com/watch?v=l9GJtM9lN-I
theindiebox.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm nearing the end of Hob.

Cuphead is not fun but I have to beat it to stay hip

We'll have to merge with some more generals if we keep this up.

I want to like Heat Signature so badly, because the base gameplay is great, but there's just fuck-all to do after a few hours because you've already experienced everything the game has to offer.
Really fucking hope they'll add more stuff at some point. Shit feels like an early access title, but it's got so much potential.

REPOSTING BASED ANONS BASED MOD
s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=38710298409649091261

Agreed.
>Literally just need either a self-charging Key Cloner and Shield or enough disposables and I can do any mission that doesn't have the patrol spawn in the only docking room

This, also the retiring/new character mechanics is pure waste of potential, they could have made you feel bad and angry about losing a character, like in XCOM, but you don't because they are the same and retire fast as fuck

Adding to my post.
>Very few types of ships
>Their modular layouts make everything look the same on all 4 ship types
>Instead of having unique layouts for the Fortresses, you just have to hijack a large ship and ram the station (and it survives and turns into another bar)
It's fucking fun, gear is great too, but the layouts suck after a little while. Only the Glitcher ships offer a passable variety. To the point that they make up all the Defector Missions.

How many piratefags are there that wanted some anime hairs?

All of them. :^)

frogs are easy though
phase 1 the only thing is remembering you can duck
phase 3 is a little annoying because tiger result but other than that one remember that you can land on the cans

You can also use a superbeam against the frog's second form just before (you'll know because the big frog crouches down to swallow the smaller frog) they transform to make the 3rd phase shorter. All the phases share one HP bar.

Anyone got some favorite Cuphead bosses? Mine's Sally Stageplay.

I liked the Rat, he was a pretty creative spin on the whole cat-and-mouse thing.

Genie and Clown were cool too.

cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256696123/movie480.webm?t=1506066093

youtube.com/watch?v=LtKQyEtBdJc

Wasnt the blind composer for RE a hack who didnt actually make the music but stole the work from his students and passed them off as his own until he was recently caught?

source?

So, lads- was Darkwood just a Polish take on 'Roadside Picnic' or is there something more nefarious going on?

What the fuck is the being?

Oh nvm he was just deaf and did a different RE game.

Why are Roadside Picnic-like settings so great?

Blimp

I don't have much a business. I think I'll take your weapons, I dunno.

I disagree.

You're right, he doesn't need to beat it to stay hip.

I am surprised how good Don't Open the Doors is. It has some rough edges like occassional fps drops or mouse not deactivating when using controller which fuck with ranged weapon aim but it is very fun to play.
It feels very wrpg in the dialogue options+consequences, questlines and only limited supply of drops and money.
The claymation graphics and slightly surreal music are also adding to the experience.

WE MUST CONSUME like this big bug that swalloed a key and now feels ill. I can either look for yellow grass as medicine or squash them all on the spot.
The bug will just explode when you give it the medicine so RIP either way.

perfect

wew

How's the combat? Perfunctory, or decent?

Rather simple typical for an arpg but not dull. You get a hammer as melee weapon, so far 2 guns that use ammo(popcorn and cactus thorns) which are capped at how much you can use them because of the stuff that drops ammo and ingredients will not regrow. The enemies are all very simple patterns of shoot at you or run at you and attack so far. It's still fun because you get rewarded for reading your surroundings and moving accordingly.
Oh yeah usage of ranged weapons and bombs or more melee attacks are locked behind doors which are one runthrough only and are mostly optional.

Best tabis to make with my Q140 super steel? I've got a Q94 Ancient Rathound leather, Q50 pig leather, and Q54 Siphoner leather. I have no dodge/evasion.

Ancient ratdoge will give some extra mechanical damage mitigation and also a bit more movement than others because it's higher quality.
Pig gives hit points and physical effect resistance.
Frog is popular for immobilization immunity and it gives 15 more dodge/evasion than others.

I'm glad Ol' Cuppy's already hit the "contrarian for the sake of it" stage, real mark of quality.

Frog is best for sure, but there's one question that's been on my mind for a loong time. What kind of leather will the crabhound drop?

You can tell it's a good game because of the beautiful visuals, no need to use anonymous posting to dowse for quality.

It's A E S T H E T I C as fuck and the gameplay's solid if not particularly groundbreaking with the only real complaint I can give it is what's the fucking point of 'simple' for boss fights and the hitboxes get a little clunky at times

the music isn't as catchy as I want it to be

>It's A E S T H E T I C as fuck and the gameplay's solid if not particularly groundbreaking
So it's the same old shit with a pretty coat of paint, but anyone who criticizes it is just a contrarian. Got it.

i like it well enough but i'm also a sucker for the styles involved

>literally point out personal flaws had with it in that same post
how blind are you lad
>same old shit
>solid gameplay
Yeah, all those competently built run-n-gun platformers in the last decade, such as:

You're got your head up your ass if you think there haven't been any "competently built" run and gun games released in the past decade, but even if that were the case, it would be a retarded argument because a game doesn't stop being an unoriginal retread just because the thing(s) it's retreading aren't within your arbitrary window of recency.

It's fine that purty and passably competent are enough to please you, but abandon your pretense of the game being anything more than that and don't bitch when not everyone is as easily impressed by recycled gameplay and pretty visuals.

It's just a game. Why do you heff to be so mad.

The 3d background in the djinn/genie boss in cuphead confuses me.

They have a similarly animated background in the dragon stage.

I mean I kinda just don't get the 3d, is it a reference to something?

Darth Sion but powered by being mad about video games given mild compliments

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplane_camera

>The technicians at Fleischer Studios created a distantly related device, called the Stereoptical Camera or Setback, in 1934.[2] Their apparatus used three-dimensional miniature sets built to the scale of the animation artwork.[2] The animation cels were placed within the setup so that various objects could pass in front of and behind them, and the entire scene was shot using a horizontal camera.[2] The Tabletop process was used to create distinctive results in Fleischer's Betty Boop, Popeye the Sailor, and Color Classics cartoons.

Here is Sinbad the Sailor as an example:
youtube.com/watch?v=QIwUpvf2jXY
youtu.be/QIwUpvf2jXY?t=8m41s

>was Darkwood just a Polish take on 'Roadside Picnic' or is there something more nefarious going on?
It was one of the inspirations.

darkwoodgame.com/faq/

>What were your inspirations?

>The works of David Lynch, Strugacki brothers, Stanisław Lem. Games like Fallout, Dark Souls, Project Zomboid, Teleglitch. Slavic folklore. And, well, life.

>An interesting variation is to have the background and foreground move in opposite directions. This creates an effect of rotation. An early example is the scene in Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs where the Evil Queen drinks her potion, and the surroundings appear to spin around her.

youtube.com/watch?v=l9GJtM9lN-I

Gotta love it when one side of an argument conveniently shifts from trying to argue to "lmao dude y do u care so much".
>equating "It's fine that purty and passably competent are enough to please you" with "nooooo stop enjoying things"
Major strawmanning.
God forbid anyone say anything negative about mechanically mediocre but visually appealing indie darling #2385.
>mild compliments
Extremely disingenuous to pretend that Cuphead's reception has been "mildly positive" and also extremely disingenuous to pretend that it was praise of the game that started this conversation and not some guy trying to pretend that Cuphead's superior quality is so inherently obvious that the only reason anyone might not recognize it would be for the sake of pure contrarianism.

>IT'S SHIT AND GENERIC AND YOU HAVE SHIT STANDARDS EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE FOR ANY OF THESE CLAIMS
>i-it's just saying something negative, geez!
wew

I've been watching footage of Cuphead but haven't played it. Could someone who knows more about it tell me /why/ you would parry? It doesn't seem to do anything other than increase your end of level score and occasionally destroy a projectile that you could have just shot anyway.

It also gives you a Super card.

>Veeky Forums ARGUMENT I WILL REPRESENT MY OPPONENT AS A SCREAMING RETARD AND STRAWMAN AS HARD AS I CAN
Talk about damage control. Nobody called the game shit before the insinuation was made that criticism of the game is pure contrarianism. Why would I provide "evidence" that the game is mechanically generic when the guy I was discussing the game with admitted as much himself in his own description of the game? Idiot.

It's for the score mostly. There's a lot of times where parrying will put in you harm's way. It's also kinda satisfying.

>There's a lot of times where parrying will put in you harm's way
Yeah that's what I'm seeing. I guess I'm just kinda bummed they didn't do more with it as a feature. Thanks user.

>fucking autism bird on expert

The ghost train boss forces you to parry a lot, that's one of the few places they really made extensive use of the parry mechanic. It's mostly for super meter in the other fights.

>autism bird
...snakebird?

the bird with the satellite eggs

Cuphead.

>super meter
Ohh okay I didn't see anyone explaining that it built the super meter. That makes it a lot better to me. Thanks user.

I find this page in one door and the next I enter I stumble upon a guy charging at me with his hammer while yelling DON'T OPEN THE DOORS DON'T OPEN THE DOORS
I really wonder how these slime addicted scientists fucked up the world with doors.

>I didn't see anyone explaining that it built the super meter.
Pretty sure the tutorial covers that.

Why do you heff to be so mad.

They don't sound anything alike, user.

i actually don't like the visuals, or specifically just the constant movement. the art style is fine but not something i'm huge on, although i won't say it didn't do a good job emulating what it was trying to emulate.

I finished Hob. Not particularly happy with the ending and the number of visual hiccups is staggering since they're still using their Ogre engine, but it was overall a fun game.

Better than birdboy and it didnt take 14 years to dissapoint like me

Was still worth it to demand the hat over just 43$ because this equip makes all enemies drop money.

>yet another indie platformer
>unique gimmick: old disney cartoon visuals
You fags talk like this Cuphead thing is worth arguing about. It isn't.

So sick and tired of ''''''''''games'''''''''' where the main focus is on audiovisual assets and gameplay is an afterthought. Another recent example would be that indie platformer with the slugcat, beautiful animations and backgrounds. Don't remember the name of that game anymore. Doubt anybody even cares at this point. That FOTM is dead.

Have you forgotten the pitfalls of AAA game industry?
Do you not understand what makes indie precious?

The gameplay seems pretty damn good to me. It's punishing enough that normies are struggling but still fair enough that it can be beaten entirely on skill.

Just a PSA, Cuphead is $11.77 on gog

>Cuphead
>platformer
Can you at least try to look like you know what you are talking about.

>platformer
>Disney cartoon visuals
The coveted double fail.

Oh I thought it would take longer for gog version. I heard linux and mac versions are also coming.

Just being classy in a labyrinth.

theindiebox.com/
RIP Indiebox subscription service.
Finally that shit is dead because that business model was meh.

>you can smooch birds in Hat in Time

Day 0 purchase

How banjo kazooie will this be?
I like plattforming and exploring but all the shit to collect that does barely anything puts me off b&k.

new record again

That is a lot of sandmen with big guns around you.

$30 is a bit much IMO.[/spoiler[
More like Mario from what I've seen.

>More like Mario
Oh that just reminds me how BAAAD the timing of this release is. Mario Odyssey right around the corner.

damn user

Rivals of Aether got another one

please continue to dripfeed me DOTD screenshots whenever you feel like it, I like looking at the game

>revolutionary bugs want me to bring them a bughammer
>find it eventually in a door
>2 points stronger than my hammer which is still normal and makes bugs explode when hit
>give it to bugs
>they give up on revolution
>kill them all
>tell that to bugsquasher guild
>get even stronger hammer that gets stronger the more enemies are on screen
The coward bugs deserved it but thankfully I still have access to their smuggler bug.

Hyper Lighter Drifter confirmed furry?

Woah, it was something like 19:45 when the Darkwood MC said that I have to light the oven of the Silent Forest hideout - my fortifications are in the generator room.
And because I was settling over to the Old Forest, I barely had any fortifications left.

Almost died that night. And that unlit oven after 20:00 is SPOOKY AS FUCK.

I'm anxious about spending my first Old Forest night now. I have a lot of stuff and it looks much more secure, but it also looks much scarier because of the missing fence and perimeter.. I also brought over half an inventory's full of stuff already. Too bad I don't have any nails left.

Yeah. It's quite poor timing, but I know I'll enjoy it and anyone who believes Nintendo consoles suck, but make good games will also prefer it simply because they aren't gonna fall for Wii part 3.

It's honestly easier to just leave everything open.
>Certain savages and dogs will just walk on by, cause they instinctively go for closed/barricaded stuff
And then you just run like a constipated wiener dog when shit hits the fan,.

>liking plattformers
>not liking nintendo
You are a tiny minority in a niche.

So I'm a level 16 psi, and I'm having a ton of trouble with the quest "Track down Rassophore Nevil". This sentry battle seems impossible and Nevil is weak as shit. Any advice?

playing underrail btw

Yeah, get the hell out of the Institute or very soon we'll have to guide your unprepared ass through a very unpleasant endgame.

If you can hack that console you can skip the entire fight. If you can't, better bring a good shield and tons of grenades/mines. Psi has some good weapons against small groups of bots, but large swarms like this are hard as balls if you have nothing else to fall back on, especially if you are this underleveled.

Woah, I've literally survived on the last second, despite having had it somewhat secured. Got cornered into a wardrobe and had two red chompers on me, after having killed 2 with a shotgun, and a hard dog. How you're supposed to run from all that is beyond me.

I wish I had more wardrobes.