/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Thai Cave Edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
youtube.com/watch?v=lMB8SwwKZsw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1st for loam

Well, they'll look cool together at least.

nth for doggos

Migrants have arrived!

The buckler's actually useful

God damn it, some dwarf decided to make an artifact and of course its fairly fucking useless... He didn't even put any effort into it, the fucking asshole. Wasted a whole adamantine wafer.

>fortress completely walled off and migrants left to starve
peasants BTFO

Update soon!

Make a well

Literally just made a well right before that asshole dwarf made that god damn chain.

I guess I can throw him in my pit...

This is why you keep adamantine in a locked room and only open it when blacksmiths have jobs to work with it. Lock it down hard during moods.

Lesson learned, will keep that in mind from here on out.

>spend all day whittling a comb and smoothing it out and whatnot
>fucking thread dies
The hell fools?

So damn cool. How long do you typically work on your big pieces like that?

Bucklers have a much lower block chance than shields

Use the chain to make a restraint and sacrifice things to cave beasts with it

It's still invulnerable

will my nobles get mad if i melt down their favorite objects? they say no exporting but if I melt the stuff is that okay? ive got like 10,000 shields made from these damn mandates.

Hello, I am new.

This might sound like a redundant question but - is it possible to ever have friendly non-dwarves in your fortress? Like I don't know, humans or some other species. Or is it strictly dwarf only always and anyone else is trying to kill you?

Yeah, there's always merchants - also, look up taverns.

Friendly non-dwarves are very much a thing, not all civilizations are inherently hostile. Additionally, non-dwarves can petition you for residence in your fort if they like it enough and they've visited for some other reason

Taverns and merchants

neat, thanks guys

ive got a couple humans. you can accept them as long term residents and eventually they petition for citizenship, at which point they are part of the fort and you can assign them labors and stuff.

oh yeah and "Ol Ikitista, lord" is a human too.

>Hush, sweet little doggy, stup buckin'.
Great, now I want rideable animals for my militia.
Post pics of your fort!

>Post pics of your fort!

I-I haven't even started user
I'm new as in "I've heard about this game since a long time and just now decided to check out the general" new
I'm a bit intimidated but also curious

no excuses user

The menus are hard to use but the game is (arguably) easy. Try it out for yourself.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
My advice for forts: once you have food and booze you can do literally whatever you want regardless of what other people say you should do.

whoever said cave mushrooms only give 1 log each did not know what they were talking about.

any idea why my dwarves are not hauling logs to these wood stockpiles? this is driving me crazy

Because they're lazy pieces of shit, throw them in the magma

Pic related is the usual culprit. The next most likely option is that the wood stockpile is either set to accept from links only or to use wheelbarrows.

discord

Yeah, they give logs equal to the number of trunk tiles they have. The tunnel tubes you've cut in that picture aren't mushrooms, though. They follow normal tree rules.

my nigga

interesting.

>is it possible to ever have friendly non-dwarves in your fortress
>there's always merchants
Not quite always. If you embarked on a location where other civilizations can't reach or if all the civilizations who can reach are at war with yours there won't be merchants. The latter is pretty rare though and the former isn't all that common unless you embarked on an obviously remote island or something.

kobold

I started a fort right next to a goblin site in the tundra

there's no fucking iron

fug

>he actually made the dwarf ride a giant mantis like I suggested

the absolute madman

Goblins will bring you all the iron you could ever need eventually. Just make a lot of cage traps.

>Strawberry maggot
youtube.com/watch?v=lMB8SwwKZsw

>Marty Robbins
based

bump

>killing other dorfs is le dorfy xDDDD

This guy will never be satisfied with his meals, will he?

Not if they don't have any themselves. My goblins only ever bring me copper.

What are some good tilesets that have good map tiles?

Trying to get a print out of my current map, and ASCII font looks kind of weird on a banner.

>This guy will never be satisfied with his meals, will he?
Drown some fire imps and brew some mead. What's so impossible about that?

Mead can't be cooked. And I thought fire imps were vermin; I've never actually seen one nor have I ever actually dealt with magma.

CLA

Fire imps are regular creatures, they just live in magma (also they tend to climb out of volcanoes and torch your dwarves to crisps) and you don't need to cook the mead, "consume" doesn't exclusively mean "eat".

You're thinking of fire snakes, I assume.

>Evening gents. My name is Urist CheeseDwarf, Legendary Cheesemaker. When can I start?

Taffer, CLA, some of the more ASCII-like tilesets on the wiki repo. Don't forget to check out a few color schemes. Especially those by taffer are great for maps. This color scheme is tango.

gib me gladiators I can pit against eachother in the arena.

I'm new to the game, am I making any bad design decisions with this coastal fort?

Bobby B

Human

Steel warhammer ,shield. breastplate, mail shirt, greaves, leggings, helm, guantlets, high boots

Accomplished HammerMan
Competent Fighter
Accomplished Armor User
Expert ShieldUser
Skilled Dodger
Adept Observer
Great Discipline

I wouldn't consider anything a bad design decision until you learn first hand why it was a bad decision after you lost the fort.
Anyway, where is that ballista pointing? And why?

>Anons: "Update when, Toady?"
>Toady: "In October!"
>October
>Anons: "Update when, Toady?"
>Toady: "We'll see if it's in October. He he he."

Ballista to kill merchants

To what end?

If there's any fighting on the walkways, your dwarves are going to dodge into the sea and drown.

its happened to 3 already.
Its hard to get an industry going so I've resorted to killing the merchants to get their stuff.

You can just seize all their goods instead.

>Thanks for an amazingly steady set of months! We'll see if we can pull off the Artifact release for October. We're in the single digits now, list-wise, but as usual, there are some real winners here at the end. To smooth sailing! I'll be talking about secret identities at EXAG on October 6th, but it's a stream, so it won't eat a lot of time.

is there like a zip with all of this guy's art somewhere?

what am i reading here?

The greentext: Toady shooting for the update to land in october, single digits for list items.

The picture: rescuing kids ends up with them picking up the goblin civ values/ethics and upon being returned him they get the usual tearful reunion and hugs...

...then the knives come out.

from a purely functional point of view, it's shit, because of this reason however, it's much more interesting than 99% of all newbie forts, which usually just consist of a few large rectangles dug into the soil layer. it looks like a place that would be fun to explore in adventure mode.

Hello there.
That's classified information, sir (there's five to go).

So, it's tuesday, and we can only accept that the last user isn't coming back, for whatever reason (cough LOST THE FORT TO ZOMBIES coughcough). Gonna send it to the next user ASAP.

But discord is for circlejerking and ERPing and for libruls

bump

>ded thread
rip

If I want to make a trap room that I can put someone in with work orders and then flood with lava, how would I go about doing this? I've got the lava source ready. If it were water I could just use a door, but I don't think those can withstand lava.

Use a bridge my dude

Doors from magma-safe materials are perfectly fine.

>A Caravan has arrived
Well I hope they're not put off by the mess, the last elvish caravan spent a year in the 'negotiation room' and I haven't even had time to clean up.

Targ shit

Master Swordsman
Competent Fighter
Proficient Armor User
Competent shield user
Competent Dodger

Don't mind me, just posting some history from my Sparking! world.

>fraps fps counter

>Those yellow safety ropes along the path leading to the cave building

Why do they have to completely ruin the aesthetics of these historical places for muh retarded tourists that need giant yellow things to prevent them from walking off ledges?

dragon ball sucks

>people are stupid
>lawyers

My outpost liaison from the mountainhome is a goblin. What do?

I think it's time for him to have an unfortunate accident.

slew de gobleen
keel heem an' he babylon ways