/domg/ - Dominions General

Scrub Club Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP head first, the best learning experience is by playing the game

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Dominions 5

illwinter.com/dom5/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wx_ZNn-_klk
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=BloodsportBenediction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*eats a bunch of tobacco*

Game: OfMemesAndMen
Turn number 1
Next turn due: 21:16 GMT on Tuesday October 3rd

Atlantis 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
Fomoria 2h file received
Hinnom 2h file received
Kailasa 2h file received
Marverni 2h file received
>Mictlan Waiting for 2h file
Niefelheim 2h file received
Sauromatia 2h file received
Vanheim 2h file received
Yomi 2h file received

I often wonder where a lot of the fan art for this game comes from. Especially stuff like this and the cromartie high one

Fans, usually.

>Let the old thread die
>About to let this one go as well
Is Dominions dead?

1 more month
would be better if this part of Veeky Forums was changed though so that less popular games could keep their threads around but generals with 750 posts still disappear

>playing MA Ermor

>Playing a modded nation that's heavily OP

Is poison THE most resisted damage type?

>Cast utterdark
>Enemy armies melt which allows my armies to take their provinces
Only bad thing about the spell is the lack of resources.

Probably. It's kind of amusing, too, because poison isn't particularly strong-it's generally only available through magic, directly or indirectly, the damage is staggered, so killing a unit with it still doesn't stop him from killing more of your units right away, most poison values are fairly low, and I don't think poison damage can cause afflictions, though I could be wrong.

So is my innotive MA Xib toads, Ways and breath of the dragon strat totally useless? Am I just budget C'tis?

>standard W9 type build for sacred equite and strong scales.
Ermor probably went W9E4 titan of the sea. Considering how good his scales seem to be it's likely imprisoned too.

>Caelum: Scales build with rainbow magic?
He blind expanded, which seems like it'd be risky with his standard troops. I'm almost certain he's got an awake pretender of some kind. Azi would be my guess, since it's got good paths for his native summons, but it's expensive and his scales seem good. Maybe he sacrificed some production/luck to max out order and growth.

>Yomi: S>=5, A>4. Not a lot of information from titles. Perhaps jade emperor?
I was thinking S5E4A4 celestial general. It used to be pretty popular until the monster patch.

Admin, can we move up to 36h, by any chance?

Yes.

Breath of the dragon and other direct poison spells have an extra problem on top of the inherent weaknesses of poison, which is that your mages tend to keep firing at the same targets.

Rather than just doing 10 poison damage and moving on to another section of the enemy army, they'll drop 40 points of poison on the frontline troops which are going to die to your spearmen in a couple of turns anyway. This can be somewhat helped with clever mage positioning, but it's impossible to get rid of.

Foul Vapors does low damage per round, but spreading a small amount of poison around over a massive area is generally ideal.

Guys, what would be your general strategy for mid-late game as Ys? I have no idea what should I do after Alt7 and fog warriors. Also, how to deal with few, cap-only sacreds and shitty merfolk and human troops. Should I go for conjuration and use elementals in battles? Thunderstrike spam probably won't work, as my best mages are cap only and slow to recruit.

mid-late game, the vast majority of your mages are S1E1X1 so you build your research around that. You're an off-brand TC or Marverni with big air mages for big air magic. Shitty human troops are just blockers for your GfH/quake/maws/ebuff coms and sacreds are used as any other elites

mid-late game UW (if this ever happens somehow), you actually have all the paths that you want for buffed water eles (ethereal, iron warriors, and the water itself) and size 2, moderate HP mages to make this doable.

raise thread

Great, now I can't get their laughs off my mind. Uh huh huh huh. Uh huh huh huh. Heh hehe hmmheheh.

>S1E1X1
Huh-huh, he said "sex".

I never staled, that was someone else. I went AI though after realizing I built my pretender all wrong, getting stabbed at by Nighon and having a shit economy with a gold hungry nation.

All Strabo Balanced (tm) HoMM nations rely on gold, even Necropolis skeletons have upkeep.

Yeah, I see it now. I'm 95% sure that it's Conflux staling, and I even wanted to sub in myself, but the order of nations in the "change email address" screen is different from the one on the main page, so I have literally no idea which one is which.

wow guess who is to blame? YOU ARE YOU LAZY BASTARD

I have tons of gold and I dont even know how. I've been recruiting shit non stop all game.

Will do.

desu it's actually llamabeast that gives modnations their proper names. apparently he's been busy with dom5, so I wouldn't blame the admin for this.

wait he does that? huh

I've discovered something interesting.

AC is up, and the Hunter of Heroes attacked one of my dudes who's in the Hall of Fame, even though he wasn't casting or forging anything non-blood. When he died, he was removed from the Hall of Fame.

Spooky

Well hes called the hunter of heroes for a reason I suppose.

Is the hooded spirit a good chassis? It seems it has plenty of mobility and other built in protection and his core magic paths are decent.

>dumping order and production for luck and a dormant A3E4N9
>on a dom1 archmage chassis with base A1N1
>for a nation that only has cap-only sacreds/mage-priests
>and didn't need the expansion boost anyways
I agree that your pretender was bad but I'm not sure why you didn't realize this long before the game started.

youtube.com/watch?v=wx_ZNn-_klk

Hooded Spirit is a great chassis, but not really for an SC.

Well it would be pretty bloody dull if the hunter of heroes only attacked mages in the hall of fame.

>be ME ctis
>get rekt utterly rekt by TNN that youre ambushing

i dont think i can do this shit anymore lads

regardless of that , i feel like im in a pretty good position, so if anybody wants to play EA lizerds for the one last time now is the chance

"Dernan the SuperCombatant got it covered"

Hooded spirit can split into 3 or something in Dom 5.

Trinity, yeah. They can be in more than one place at a time, or have 3 combatants in a single province, but the more you split them the weaker they get.

well the spooky bit is more that he's not in the HoF anymore

>140g of reveler will kill a lot more than 140g of any human unit
Why is this allowed?

Well then it targets heroic ability. You must have been in the HoF at some point to get one.

it isn't, because they're getting nerfed to shit in dom5

no, like, after he got eaten his name disappeared. He was either #1 or #2 in the HoF before he got attacked, so it's not like he was a former hero

What he's saying is that being killed by the Hunter of Heroes removes a unit from the hall of heroes: you can't resurrect them via ritual of rebirth after that. Normally a dead hero stays on the list until enough people beat their record to push them off of it.

we need the pirate demographic
hope dom 5 is good to pirate

JUST

when dom5 comes out i am going to start an oeridia game with A Significant amount of players and max thrones that will last until dom6 comes out

i will call it

mistletwo

But what if they had new nations in the middle?

that's what mistlethree is for

ThreeRedSeconds is over, gg everyone

>playing a meme faction

How do we fix therodos

we set everyone AI, then Therodos wins

Make them cute seal girls

They start with fucking 150 income
what the fuck is that
And their freespawn for the first year is WELL below what all other nations will produce

some nations were intended to be overpowered "diplomacy targets"

other nations were intended to be worthless "buffer states"

therodos simply falls into the latter category

Thank god.

GGs

This game needs to be more spectator friendly

Your face needs to be more spectator friendly.

oh boy i'd sure love to get invested in a big dom game right after release so that i can spend two months of my life fighting some horrendously imbalanced bullshit

>two months

bump

This
GG Vil

What if you had to spend time to fully take over a province
It would take a certain amount of "capture" points in troops to do it, which counts every turn
Much like how sieges or patrolling works

'no'
Too much work

You already take a month.

fuckin europa universalis bois

To what end? To make provinces take as long as palisades to capture? Wouldn't that diminish the difference between forts and provinces, strategically speaking?

/domg/, do you like building thugs and SCs? Would you play in a game where the only conflict was an arena match every turn?

I'd play a match but I can't see a whole game being built around it.

I mean a game of Dom4 of course, not some kind of standalone thing.

If we get more than 2 people in and research allows for it, I can see myself just sending Mister Conductor to the arena to ensure that anyone that wins winds up going to hell instead of home.

I feel like this Arena only shit would last like 3 turns, and everyone's pretenders would be dead + they would go AI

I figure it wouldn't be every turn right away. People would need time to expand ( is what each player's territory looks like), sitesearch and research. Arena matches on tunrs 3, 6, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 and every turn thereafter maybe?

talk to lamboman about how to tie arena wins to throne points via whacky server event modding

REBEL SCUM

The best way to gauge interest for this is probably just to put the game up.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=BloodsportBenediction

Come spill blood in your nation's honor, /domg/! Nations start on isolated islands but there will be increasingly frequent death matches in the arena. Low time commitment because you won't be scripting armies every turn, but there will be no extensions. We'll play to 20 arena wins, 60 turns or most likely Dom5's release, whichever comes first!

I am coming

What is Imperial Enclave?

Star Wars mod, get to play as either Rebels or the Imperials. Pretty nice.

I actually never considered the Celestial general before, now that I look at it the paths are not half bad for yomi

Are those the only two nations? Doesnt seem like it would work well in multiplayer.
Should add the Huts, CIS, Mandalorians and the likes

Hows your battles going lads?

dunno m8. game ended the turn I sent my SC out so I never got to see him in action. battles in other games have been indecisive, and the important ones won't occur until next turn at best.

*waits around for turns to come in*

how do you tell if there are hidden mages or w/e that will kill your expander God

Have a scout attack the province while set to retreat.

I'm not a scrub so I don't take awake expanders.

t. only expands with blessed sacreds

I can expand with unblessed sacreds too. I don't really care if I fail the expansion either. I'll just kill the first guy I meet.

i got it honest

AI.

Stale.