/arena/ - Arena FPS General

PATCH UNDERWAY edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Pastebin with download links for FREE GAMES: pastebin.com/NzQifF9b

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

>(Incomplete) QC custom weapon skin showcase:
my.mixtape.moe/wrrdkk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play QC
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

>October patch notes:
photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8BA5o24yv-F6X-govF7kUIzvbiNJzv2upOBlNNI6aJDhNclKdeNn7UUvzWqdxgA?key=UU1VaWJOZTBQQ0tpZUI0dGZCc1FwYVlnUGtxSDd3

Slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8BA5o24yv-F6X-govF7kUIzvbiNJzv2upOBlNNI6aJDhNclKdeNn7UUvzWqdxgA?key=UU1VaWJOZTBQQ0tpZUI0dGZCc1FwYVlnUGtxSDd3
twitter.com/Quake/status/915917843824283655
youtube.com/watch?v=LmGz3cavVbg&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgm7ko5Y4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The south will rise again.

These fucking nigger lightning guns.....

>>no Hunter waifu
>I guess I'd just drop the game until the release.
Athena is coming next. Hunter will be later.

Easy to read patchnotes

>tfw had a dream about a QC patch last night
>it's becoming a reality
I mean my dream had a q1 shotgun in it, but I'll take buffs for my niggas visor and bj
also fuck lizards and 'doomguy has broken hitboxes' whiners

The next patch is supposed to be the content patch

Is the patch already downloadable on the bethesda launhcer but not on steam or what?

where did you get this info from?

The real test is finding out if we can shoot and kill the Scrags

I mean I'm already hard for scrags in dm6
silently hoping for a q1 remaster with so many set pieces in place already

user in the last thread said a dev on the forums was talking about how they were going to do a content patch after this one

>user in the last thread said a dev on the forums was talking about how they were going to do a content patch after this one
This patch is coming only in November though?
Which means content patch is going to be in December or even later.

>load up ql dm6
>map is fucking tiny compared to the qc one
>still manages to have less tedious melee shit

Where did you get that info from?

Stop being retarded please: photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8BA5o24yv-F6X-govF7kUIzvbiNJzv2upOBlNNI6aJDhNclKdeNn7UUvzWqdxgA?key=UU1VaWJOZTBQQ0tpZUI0dGZCc1FwYVlnUGtxSDd3
>Quake Champions 5 November patch notes

>5th november
>title clearly says EA update 5th october
you're the retard here bubba

Never underestimated how painfully retarded quaketards are.

DED GAM
DED THRED
DED PATCH

tfw doomguy and scarborough will be even more common with fixes to leap and +25 armor
C

>cuphead already has more rule34 than quake
well

>highly advertised everywhere
>critical acclaim
>has easy mode
>one of the bosses is an almost naked siren
>cartoony artstyle
well no shit

>q1 shotgun
Do want.

>+25 armor
what
I already feel so powerful as doomguy
why would they do this to everybody else?

So this is what he meant by "soon all will know my strength".

The 25 armor is for scale. Now he matches with Sorlag and the lizards are going to cry about it guaranteed.

Oh boy I really enjoyed lging scalebearer for a fucking year already.

So can someone who knows a lot about Quake explain why the snowballing effect in these games is good and makes for compelling gameplay?

It feels like you could have a better high skill ceiling game without it.

How would you try to counteract it without completely trashing the game.

>snowballing effect
what?

Map knowledge, map control, and choosing your battles are all skillful things. It's why movement is so important, if you could just regen all your ammo/health/armour then why even jump?

>tfw they start spitting acid through the windows and getting frags

I've seen lots of times where one team is way better than the other and the better team almost always can do things like win the fight for the quad.

It feels like if you're at the stage where you can take the quad so easily then your team doesn't really NEED it. It's just giving a big boost to the team that was already winning hard to begin with

>fuck 'doomguy has broken hitboxes' whiners
But that is literally, unarguably true. And confirmed by the devs

Better people should win, even if it's a stomp, artificial balance is a funkiller.

Scalebearer was good already, with good acceleration for a heavy and an amazing and versatile ability. +25 armor is really unnecessary

He'll be getting dangerously close to cancer like this

>using a hitscan weapon on their legs
Don't stare at the ground

Shots were getting through his head. He had hitbox misalignment for some animations on his upper torso

What are you even suggesting, leave it broken to give him an advantage?

I just figured you were going on about his legs like everyone does. You seem quite passionate about this.

just the head
literally meaningless

I was just in a game that was something like 75-18 and it was fucking boring. I even started using just machine gun on them because it was too depressing to see them not be able to fight back.

Sorlag is still better than him in almost every way after this change so what's the problem?

How about aiming at the center of mass?

>Shots can visibly go through model with no effect
>meaningless
Doesn't matter where it happens, it needs to be fixed. On the head is even more troubling, as you'd think a shot there would have effect. And the game even has headshot medals

What alternative to you propose? Gimping good players? Giving advantages to people who do poorly? Making 4stacks play with other 4stacks? Because this one I can get behind.

if it was torso i'd understand
head is so small it's utterly meaningless
>game has headshot medals
which are broken and
>getting headshots on a doublejumping doomguy
oi i am laffin

How about fixing it so you can shoot anywhere on his body, like you can for every other character?

>every

Yeah stacks are really the only "problem". Here in Australia you've often only really got one two or three stack playing the game at a time and it's literally just the best players who do it's a dumb stomp every time.

>play sacrifice
>the three people on the continent who care about sacrifice are practicing
>welp guess there's no point playing sacrifice

The game I had was
>four players who know how to play the game
vs
>four players that are all around level 2 and are obviously new to the game because they can't do any movement techniques and can't aim well

If it switched two of the good players for two of the newbies then at least the newbies could run into each other once in a while and have a fight instead of getting gang raped off the spawn for 10 minutes. I felt bad for them, shit was retarded.

Fucking sac boys queuing for pub. Those cunts should jump off a cliff together.

In those cases I usually just tune out of the game and practice tricks.

Well that's poor matchmaking, which hopefully will be fixed come full release, but it's not something directly tied to the balance of the game itself like building stack/map control/quad damage/snowballing which I interpreted as meaning those things.
The matchmaking definitely needs to be fixed yeah.

Does QC even have actual matchmaking?
There are lots of times where it feels like it's just thrown together the first 8 players it can find regardless of anything

It doesn't have any at all so it's completely random unless people can party up and que.
Is that actually a thing in QC?

yeah you can do friends and parties etc

>do this
>guy gives callouts
>don't want to tell him to stop because I would feel rude but try to ignore them the best I can because it's unfair

Fuck that shit. If they have friends to play with they should be in a custom game with each other.

Nah not letting mates queue with each other is a great way to make them not play your game.

They should be forced to or at least have a priority towards playing with other groups of people though, to minimize the intentionally unfair advantage.

Jesus Christ, page 10 already

Not even this patch can revive /arena/

twitter.com/Quake/status/915917843824283655
HYPE
>HYPE
HYPE
>HYPE
SERVERS DOWN IN 20 MINUTES BOYS
UPDATE TODAY

HUYHPE

After going through the patch notes I'm not hyped for the patch itself, but I will be enjoying the increased traffic of players in-game today

>Double XP weekend
>But not double favor

wow it's fucking nothing

If anything it's gonna pad the fuck out of userlevels and make scrubs look more experienced than they really are

youtube.com/watch?v=LmGz3cavVbg&feature=youtu.be

I really hope this is enough. I really had trouble with team colours before.

youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgm7ko5Y4
ADAD BTFO

Hope this shows through the spit blind effect.

whats the source on that original picture

Will this even constitute a real change? Seems very similar to me

I thought the value of ADADAD had nothing to do with the animation itself, but with forcing the shooter to commit to a target changing faster than he could react to i.e. it's related to the movespeed itself

In TF2 Snipers did ADADAD all the time, and it worked even with their slow as fuck movement

top kek.
I didn't think they'd have the balls to put that ridiculous looking shit on the official channel.

>double favor
>when im sitting at 100k favor

>unlisted
Tim, is that you?

Yes, hope you guys like it :)

>repeated champions will award less favor next patch
>vanities will sell for less
>no repeated shaders, so less acquisition of shards to buy legendary skins with

I wonder if it would actually be better to sit on favor? Not to mention the content patch is still a ways off, and only then new skins and shit will be added

Willits how do I get a fat dick in this game?

Hey guys, dusk is a blast.. even in its current state. If you're looking for a game to just HUH around it.. it's definitely it. I can't wait for the multi-player, gonna be hectic

>repeated champions will award less favor next patch
>repeated champions
NIGGER IM LIKE lvl37 AND I ONLY HAD TWO CHAMPION DROPS
THE SHITTIEST ONES

I preordered and regretted it. It's like a poor man's Quake 1, at least the SP

Besides, Q1 has so many custom levels and campaigns, you could play it for eons to come

Many of them are very high quality too, better than the main game

Yeah, but you're sitting on 100k favor, you're gonna open a bunch of shit and get a couple of champions for sure. That's why I'm wondering if it would actually be better to wait for the patch to spend your shit

What does /arena/ think of Strafe?
I grabbed it on sale the other day and it's kinda been my bullshit game when I get tired of getting destroyed by quakedads. I usually roll my eyes at the roguelike+retro meme combo but this game pulls it off well.

overhyped garbage

this

I appreciate the removal of strafe-triggered leaning (turned that shit off ASAP in QL), but ADAD works with any character, and especially well with fast ones

SERVERS ARE DOWN

PATCH SOON FELLOW RANGER

HUH HUH HUH, HUH?

>no netcode changes
>new hitboxes not yet live
I'll grab the popcorn to watch the disappointment and autistic frustration in this thread

>you're gonna open a bunch of shit
im gonna open a bunch of backpacks with pointless shit in them

Re-read the notes.

I predict
>FUCKING ROCKETS STILL REEEEEEEE (me)
>People can't hit LG anymore
>Scarborough 2 stronk
>BJ with dual tri-bolt becomes amazing because someone put an extra digit for the fire rate increase by accident
>Doom can now only be hit in the head and the rest of his body doesn't register

update is out

>11 gigs
fucking what

I miss patches being small files that replaced some code instead of being a full game download.

:^)

>Doom can now only be hit in the head and the rest of his body doesn't register
Canon.
>Doomguy is so angry and unstoppable, anything but total brain obliteration won't stop him from fighting

waiting on the fitgirl repack of this patch

This must be some sort of Bethesda practice. All their patches are huge. NuDoom's patches made you download the whole game anew too, and it was 50GB+

I'm pretty sure id, even without Carmack, is more technically proficient than this

Didn't even know it was hyped. I remember a Yahtzee review when it came out and that's it.