Forgive me for regurgitaing an age-old argument. Buuut

Forgive me for regurgitaing an age-old argument. Buuut..

How do you know your religion is correct? Do you believe your own particular brand of Protestantism, Orthodoxy, Catholocism, Islam or whatever is the one true way? And that all other people are doomed to hell? Or if you're Christian, do you extend your understanding of other christians acceptance into heaven by God? If so, why believe in your form of the religion over any other?

Keep the shitposting to a minimum please.

Another query: if you're religious, but believe people will be accepted into heaven on their merits alone, then why evangelise and practice praise of God?

Saint Olga is my waifu

>How do you know your religion is correct?
Consistent teachings for 2,000 years. Doesn't really prove it's correct, but makes it unique among all world religions along with the oldest schools of Buddhism.

>Do you believe your own particular brand of Protestantism, Orthodoxy, Catholocism, Islam or whatever is the one true way?
Yes.

>And that all other people are doomed to hell?
I don't know who is going to hell and who isn't in particular, but I'm sure plenty of people who subscribe to my religion will end up there.

All religion is essentially LARPing.

Isn't Judaism, Hinduism both as valid if you've chosen your belief due to the historical factor?

You don't. That is why the concept of "faith" exists. Next thread please.

Judaism of today comes from Pharisaic Judaism, and the modern variant is a much later development after the codification of the Talmud. Christianity, in a way, actually has more in common with ancient Judaism than modern Judaism does. Ancient Jews, for instance, fasted two days a week (a Pharisee actually brags about this in his prayers, in contrast with the Publican), which Orthodox Christians do, but modern Jews don't anymore (the days were Monday and Thursday, but early Christians changed them to Wednesday (Christ's betrayal) and Friday (his Crucifixion) to distinguish themselves from the Pharisees. Judaism also used to be very pro proselytizing, often even through forced conversions, but that changed in the Middle Ages. Also Judaism used to have a priesthood (which the Pharisees were in a power struggle with), now they don't. Christianity still has a priesthood and alters a thurible.

Hinduism is a very old religion, but how it's practiced and what its theology is, is far from consistent with what it was a thousand years ago.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

I always rather liked how a core tenet of Sikhism is that no religion can claim a monopoly on absolute truth, they're all different ways of understanding the same god.

It's the least offensive conception, but doesn't really make sense.

This /pol/ meme. Truly /pol/ has ruined Veeky Forums.

what makes you think that it isn't just the same god and people have found different ways to appreciate this god

>but modern Jews don't anymore

Quite a few modern Jews do fast on the weekday torah reading days.

And real fasts, no intake at all, not this Orthodox namby pamby "Well, I won't eat meat today, that's a fast, right?"

>Also Judaism used to have a priesthood (which the Pharisees were in a power struggle with), now they don't.

It still does, it's just that without the Temple, it's not particularly relevant. But Kohanim get the first Torah reading, and they still are at least supposed to adhere to the laws of ritual purity. Also, priesthood is hereditary, not a calling.

Constantine, why do you constantly say shit that is just wrong?

My parents wouldn't've forced it on me if it was false

I think the point is, you don't know that it's correct. You believe it is. That's why it's called "faith".

Makes sense. Ill live my agnostic ways behind and rejoin my parents in the true path of Judaism

Well actually no, Catholicism's the true path. If Judaism was still true my parents would've raised me Jewish. Sorry to tell you this bro but I think your parents were just liars.

My mom swears to Christ that when she was younger, once while she was praying in bed she felt the touch of the Virgin Mary. And I 100% know my mom never lied.

Shit. I never would have thought that my parents would do such thing. But why weren't they ever raised as Christians

OP said to keep the shitposting to a minimum so I am going to try and put this as kindly as possible.

You could quite easily replace 'faith' with 'gullibility' or 'credulity' in your post and it would mean exactly the same thing, it's just the words would sound less palatable.

Well the Jews have always been liars, friend. Your parents lied to you, just as their parents lied to them, and so on.

The only time the Jews have ever told the truth was in Matthew 27:25. So the hard truth is that all your ancestors who were born around 1 AD and afterwards are currently in eternal isolation from the grace of God.

But there's still time for you though, but only if you convert to Catholicism. It's the one and only true religion, and is actually the complete fulfillment of Judaism and has always been.

How do you know that your philosophy is correct? You dont, but it is simply the way you perceive the world. You cant really help it, not without extensive contemplation anyway.
T. Neoplatonist/hermeticist

It's not a /pol/ meme, goofball. Ask any Orthodox Jew whether or not the Pharisees were the forefathers of Orthodox Judaism, he will answer yes.

John 14:6-Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

My philosophy predates my perception by a couple of thousand years.

Colossians 2:8-See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

Becuz muh holy scriptures n' shit.....

meant for

My philosophy is the one Christ taught.

No more memey and vapid than your post.

THIS...

+9001

FUCK relgioin.....

This post... is full of WIN

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Honestly?

i'm not gonna go full-'muh-miracles-of-the-quran' bullshit

but the quran is the only book that doesn't seem to defy the fuck out of science/physics
Old Earth Creationism (google that)
Weirdly enough, it also has some predictions that came out true, which is amazing
it also has some scientific stuff that your average 7th-century sandnigger wouldn't know of...

Orthodox fasts normally prohibit meat, dairy, oils, wine and fish, sex, merrymaking, and a few other things. We also have no intake days.

Most Jews don't fast more than six days out of the year, which is the number of Orthodox days of no intake.

>Also, priesthood is hereditary, not a calling.
Christ established a new priesthood to replace the old one, which Jews themselves hated at that point.

Is Islam your religion?

I can understand how religion made sense to people back in the day, as they were far more ignorant. Hell, most people couldn't even fucking read.

Not so much today, though.

It's just stupid to believe that any single religion, out of thousands that have existed over time, managed to get it right, and it's moronic to believe all the nonsense "miracle" shit described by religions when 99.9999% of that bullshit is contradicted by science and everyday experience.

If you're clinging to tradition, community, whatever, got it, but if you actually believe the horseshit described in any religion, than you're a moron.

I was going to write something wordy, but this pretty much suffices. Whatever you believe, you take on faith. If you didn't need faith to believe, then there wouldn't be all this conflict over what's right and wrong.

That said, I still leave the matters of theological discussion and debate to others who wish to devote their life to it. Although it would be nice for the entire world to spend time contemplating the nature of scripture and theology day in and day out, the majority of us have other business to attend to and must rely on the findings and conclusions of other men.

yes you simpleton

You don't seem like you take it very seriously.

>the majority of us have other business to attend to and must rely on the findings and conclusions of other men.

What a loser.

I suppose you rely on the findings and conclusion of other men to tell you what clothes to wear, food to eat, and who you should and shouldn't like?

>out of thousands that have existed over time,
come the fuck on

if a religion dies out, it's proved to be false. what god would let his religion die anyway?

how many major religions are there in the world right now? Islam,Christianity,Judaism,Buddhism,Hinduism,shinto and Sikhism, right?
so that's what you choose from

"Since religions conflict, none is right," is your argument?

Where did i imply that?

i pray 5 times a day, i do charity during the eid and i fast. That's it.

>if a religion dies out, it's proved to be false.
And yet their practitioners all believed they were right.....and they weren't. That's the point, dude.

That's only part of the argument.

The other part consists of claims made by various religions that oppose known scientific and physical laws.

But I'm not going to argue with you, as you are a zealot, and will simply discount anything I say in favor of your fantasy anyway...

>And yet their practitioners all believed they were right.....and they weren't. That's the point, dude.
so we're going to have and see which religion is likely to outlast all others...
which one do you think?

But you talk very disrespectfully about miracles of the Quran, and refer to Mohammed as a "sandnigger".

>implying there is anything wrong with being a zealot
Apathy and anomie are what's killing the West, not zealotry. If anything, we could use a little more zealotry.

>But you talk very disrespectfully about miracles of the Quran, and refer to Mohammed as a "sandnigger".
just chill
it's not that bad

Reverence isn't chill.

Well, yes, in a sense.

I do dress in a way acceptable to society because everyday attire is based on social norms and to go against the grain without a practical reason is fruitless.

I rely on biologists, doctors, and dietitians to discover the health effects of the foods I eat before I make the decision to consume or not to consume them.

And instead of being the primary source of investigation for all persons and people I discover, I look up past or developing facts on the matter before making my own conclusion on them. Why would I lean so much on others when I'm perfectly capable of preforming all of these tasks myself? The answer is because time is a finite resource, and to spend time discovering an answer to a question for myself on one topic means I'm not spending time to discover an answer for myself on another. Moreover, the more time spent on a single subject, the greater the depth of knowledge about it.

For example, I can't explain the function and reasoning behind every part in a vehicle, but I still partake in the usefulness of it due to someone else discovering it without me. If I didn't, I would be forced to independently discover the science behind combustion engines, transmissions, and other gizmos inside a vehicle, whereas now I can be left to my primary field of research instead, further pushing it forward so that others may reap the benefits.

>which one do you think?

Probably one that hasn't even been developed yet.

Regardless, every single thing on this planet is going to be vaporized by the sun in about 4 billion years, whether we're still on this rock or not.

>Apathy and anomie are what's killing the West, not zealotry. If anything, we could use a little more zealotry.

I'd agree with that, user.

Seems the only zealots that exist these days are the degenerates.

So which scientific body do you look to in order to confirm or deny the existence of Santa Claus, the Tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny?

Or are you smart enough to figure THAT shit out for yourself?

Agreed here. we refer to the prophets and wish peace upon them for a reason, as well as pray that Allah subhana wa ta'ala may be content with their companions.

Reverence and respect is the first step to guidance.

Ex hermeticist here. Save yourself about 5 years of study and just convert to Islam.

Okay? You're assuming there's supposed to be a logical proof of any of this. There isn't, it's just a belief. There doesn't necessarily have to be evidence behind it. You may think that's dumb, and that's your opinion. Personally I'm not religious but this is just the basic idea of faith, it's believing in something even though you can't prove it's true, or even possibly know it's true.

For most its simply a cultural thing combined experiencing dreams or sensations they have never felt before.

Reason doesn't really play a big role in it. For instance no archeological evidence found or not found will ever make a big impact on adherence.

Even if we found period scriptures that had Christ acting as a con man or suffering from schizophrenia during the gap between his childhood and ministry its not like the all the Bishops would say well that was all good but I guess we better close down now.

There's really no good argument against the Resurrection beyond "It's clearly impossible," which I don't consider particularly compelling.

Oh and for extra interest take a look at how state violence played an extremely important part in defining what constitutes orthodox/non heretical teachings. A top down imposition of truth if you will.

If you are interested in people like Olga take a look at Saint Vladimir the Great to see some nice realpolitik.

Different natures of God(s)

I have my own beliefs I made myself, and it keeps me spiritually satisfied.

How does the Quaran coincide with modern science better than the Bible Muslimbro?

>How do you know your religion is correct
What do you mean correct? Religion tells you what to do on a general level, it provides meaning and governs behavior, it's not about being correct

>but how it's practiced and what its theology is, is far from consistent with what it was a thousand years ago.
Hinduism allows for changes in practice and theology, as the actual religion is not even something written down, but part of the culture. The idea of Dharma is not quite the same as your 'Logos'. The Dharma has not changed since it was conceived.

EG Islamic belief that Christian texts are falsified accounts of real stories, and Christian belief that the Quaran is nothing more than post-scriptual fanfiction

The general idea a lot of christian have is that if any change is allowed it would mean that Christs teachings during his lifetime werent sufficient which is insluting towards his Godhood

Isn't it obvious that religious texts are just stories, not accurate representations of true events?

Yes it blatantly is to a gnostic, smartass, which is why the question is blatantly supposed to be directed towards religious people.

>You don't know and that's why it's called faith!!

Where exactly is the line between faith and delusion?

Faith is true.

Yeah
I don't think religious people concern themselves about whether their religion is "correct" or not

The whole >"just have faith bro" is a bad meme made up by modern protestants in the US who can't reconcile both their faith and modern science

>religious people dont think their religion is true
You dont know many Muslims irl do you?

>religion is true
Believing something to be true doesn't make it true and correct, right? They don't care

What the fuck are you even talking about? Can you stop moving the goalposts every 2 seconds and actually formulate a real argument?

See

>They don't care
We do, though, so there's that.

>religious people dont think their religion is true
Of course they think their religion is true, but they aren't concerned if it's correct or not

Isn't that literally lying though

You beleive delusions are true as well. That's what makes them delusions and not fantasies.

We find ourselves lost in a woods, an infinite woods where every scenario COULD possibly play out. To find the EXISTING set of possibilities would take an infinity of curiosity and wonder.wandering amongst the mysterious woods of infinity.

To find God is to find the big boss of judgement and evaluation.

It would only be the most haphazard of luck if such a being(s) where somewhat aligned with the survival and "work" of humanity.

It is also that apes will be faggots and be unable to say "I don't understand this". Instead like some crack whore of modern babylon, they try to plaster superficial wallpaper of explanation that props up the smile that everything is being taken care of. But beyond this smarmishness, there is the fact that certain people "feel presences" and talk to the presence.

Schizophrenia is just disconnected areas of the brain bypassing the coherence of the executive filter, filling the UI with garbage data.

"Feeling a presence" is a bit different and probably has a higher correlation with the creation of ad hoc systems of moral judgement. The person would have already been "prepared" by an explanation for that feeling of presence (God).

Because humans can mental gymnast itself to convince themselves of anything.

Assume:
>1) All that exist is governed by set of laws of nature.
>2) The supernatural act outside the law of nature

Therefore:

>The supernatural is outside of existence

Therefore:

>The supernatural does not exist!

Religious and spiritual fags on suicide watch when?

But the "laws of nature" only hold in so far much that every observation WILL match our predictions.

Knowledge is a rarity on this planet, but everyone assumes they are rich in it.

If you want an easy metaphor, think of a host computer and a guest VM. The operation of a VM consistently matches what theories would say. But the VM simulation is controlled by the host hypervisor, which is bound by different laws than the simulation.

Skepticism is the only proper face to show to the morphing tides of Maya.

literally why

muslim here, pretty fed up with islam desu. convince me not to dump the whole thing

you're not alone

>Knowledge is a rarity on this planet, but everyone assumes they are rich in it.

Speak for yourself.

I did in no point assume that we 21th century human human can observe or comprehend all existence in it totality.

>If you want an easy metaphor, think of a host computer and a guest VM. The operation of a VM consistently matches what theories would say. But the VM simulation is controlled by the host hypervisor, which is bound by different laws than the simulation.

In your metaphor, the Law of nature will not be the Virtual Machine, not even the host computer, but the universe that contain the host computer and Everything beyond it.

I used "All that exist" in my first assumption for a reason.

Your metaphor is poorly thought and invalid.

The supernatural is a Logical impossibility of existence pure and simple.

I can accept the existence of god like beings, but to say they are supernatural like in all religions, is pure no-sense.

And yet it happens anyway. The supernatural doesn't care whether you think it's "impossible" or not.

I just do. There's no science in faith.

>Do you believe your own particular brand of Protestantism, Orthodoxy, Catholocism, Islam or whatever is the one true way?
Yes. It's the only one that has stayed true since it's inception and just change the word of God every century to innovate and change for society. Society should accept religion, not the other way around.

>And that all other people are doomed to hell?
Non-believers go to hell yes. That's the whole point of believing isn't it? To fear hell?

>Or if you're Christian, do you extend your understanding of other christians acceptance into heaven by God? If so, why believe in your form of the religion over any other?
Not Christian.

Literally unable to know if your religion is true because religion is based off of myth and legend...

The point is that you can't be sure of whatever you're talking about.

You can only hold positions where you invest body and mind.

If you can't limit the scope of your propositional framework, based on a naive dominance of visible phenomena, then it's fucking useless.

The simulated might be in a different universe of mechanics than the simulator.

You don't get to cheat with semantics, boy.

Hell boy, I'll give you a chance.

Tell me how you pared down the infinity of possible mechanics with an infinite range of configurations to something that coheres with a naive realist epistemology of bipedal apes?

I understand, it works for everyday means but you don't get to cheat mastery of the known and unknown by extrapolating that your everyday epistemology and everyday reasoning are sufficient enough to approach Maya.

Whats your belief?

Well I'm not sure about that, I think their just uninterested and lazy, they don't want to question what they believe and do any further inquiries into anything.
Then again, I don't think we have the capacity to verify the correctness of everything we believe to be true, but I guess science is kind of trying to do that.

They're, not their

The quran says that humans have clay/dirt in them (infact it says god created humans using dirt)
and scientific analysis it turned out that the elements we we created out of, does exist in soil.

pretty fucking mind blowing desu.

>Constantine !!m+/90K/qoQS
Kill yourself faggot. You've only managed to tarnish the image of Orthodox Christianity with your heresy.

not really.

religions prior to islam said humans were made out of earth.

even the word 'human' comes from the etymological root meaning 'earth'.

how about this

Noah's flood

the bible describes the flood that it took over the whole earth (which is obviously wrong)

the quran says the flood was only local (which is more logical, there is also archaeological evidence for a flood during that time and place)

show me the evidence it says that please

read noah's flood in both the quran and bible (the bible says it was worldwide, the quran says it was local)

Acheology article that proves it happened in that time and place
idosi.org/wjihc/wjihc1(3)11/7.pdf