/rpgmg/ RPG Maker General #227

ANSWER TO OP IF YOU WANT SOMEONE TO CHANGE THE COPYPASTA EDITION OR WANT ME TO STOP MAKING THE THREADS EDITION

Previous Thread: >/rpgmg/ Wikia
rpgmg-games.wikia.com/wiki//rpgmg/_Games_Wikia
>Art Resources & DLC Pastebin
pastebin.com/2bJ8wBsz
>[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
>[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

>RPG Maker MV 1.4 Repack
mega.nz/#!CgESnSzb!ZBeyWAWbLE5qQOsKAe3Y5WU5BFC0BQXtfBJOoiWiWsg
>RPG Maker MV Season 4 Pass
www21.zippyshare.com/v/Bdru8nJg/file.html

>The /rpgmg/ podcast (hiatus until October)
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

>Useful Art Tutorials & Guides
youtube.com/user/Shineyoctopus/videos
finalbossblues.com/pixel-tutorials/

>Recent thread projects
Stargem Castle: mediafire.com/file/n32ssapqaa5jr95/Stargem Castle.7z
Tempus Ex Machina Demo: mediafire.com/folder/z69y7undwpp9s/Tempus Ex Machina
/rpgmg/ Collab Project | Ch5 in progress: mediafire.com/file/ckfve2l1n6skby6/CollabProj-4.zip

>RPG Maker MV 1.5.0 Crack by Anonymous
a.pomf.space/jnmejslvrdrn.7z (Win10) PW: 184902742
a.pomf.space/bowkgurjmpah.7z (Win7) PW: 186045660
Acquire the installer from official RPGM forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/igmc2017
soundcloud.com/user-380400385/sophias-theme-2/s-jhf5B
gamejolt.com/games/broken-quest/41638
humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software
forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/player-can-walk-over-wall-roof-tiles-why.26964/#post-258707
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Answer to OP post for important infos about thread links and thread management/maker

Give me ideas for Patreon lewd games to shill with v0.0001 demos:

It's a Lewd card collection game.

You don't have party members but cards with 1,2, or 3 skills, something light.

You duel other people with lewd cards. If you win, you gain 1 card of their deck.

Bonus: if you find artist to draw, you can win 1 card of their deck and also FUCK THEM.

>inb4 Nintendo fucks me in the ass.

impressive undertale clone, comrade. looks pretty

I know its bait but it still physically pains me to read.

Damn that's pretty

bomp

die already nerds

So, anyone else joining this?

itch.io/jam/igmc2017

Thanks guys!

Well this pic wins Veeky Forums ass of the week. There's been some good ones too

It wins both skeleton and ass

ded

How are those October game jam horror games going bros?

Pokemon, but with monster girls.

...Actually I'm surprised I haven't seen this already. But it's probably been done somewhere.

Don't let that stop you, though.

>Anyone have advice on how to handle branching storylines/dialogue?
I know your question was answered, but how could you not think of the guides the non-developing players make for branching paths?

Honestly? Because I hadn't even considered the possibility that I'd ever let anyone else play it, let alone that they would want to make a guide. Not a bad idea, though

damn, that's solid

I've never tried to make a branching story myself, but I always thought a chart like this would be a good way to start. I imagine you'd need to plan the whole thing out beforehand, and be careful about recording important details if it gets complicated.

I'm not, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone here is.

Admittedly this is the first time I've heard of it, so I haven't really considered it. I have no experience making horror games, though, and I doubt I'd have time to finish something by the deadline anyway.

But while we're on the subject: how DO you make a good horror game? I enjoy playing them, but I have never put a lot of thought about how they work. Atmosphere has always seemed like a tricky thing to do right.

Nice, maybe I will thx for sharing
I don't think there's a theme to the jam, unless I missed it.

>I don't think there's a theme to the jam, unless I missed it.
On second glance, looks like you're right. Not sure where I got that idea.

But now that the idea is in my head, maybe I should try making a horror game anyway. Not necessarily for the contest, but it could be a fun thing to try for October (and maybe help get me back into making games),

Not bad. I'd change the font to a more cartoony-looking one though.

bums

Buy some lemonade, stay a while.

Is the ground meant to be sand?

Everybody's done Tolkien. Everybody's done space. Everybody's done Modern Fantasy. What's a setting where RPGs have been under-represented?

It's just a shabby carpet

Superheroes

ump

I've only seen Star Ocean. And it's not really set in space, it just has space travel.

Superheroes don't make good rpgs. Their abilities make better Action or Adventure games. I have seen a DBZ rpg where you just upgrade abilities and techniques. But I didn't see any strategic use to them across battles. It's kinda like Final Fantasy 2 where it doesn't really matter what you level up, so long as you level up something. There's a few enemies with elemental weaknesses. But getting bare-handed attacks to a certain level breaks the game, and you'll be 1 hit K.O. everything and wiping the floor with the boss.

Ice Age / Prehistoric
Sword-and-Sandal or Egyptian
Mesoamerican
Ramayana-era Hindu myth
Medieval fantasy based on pre-Norse pastoral Irish tradition
Medieval fantasy based on Slavic myths.
Muslim Golden-Age based on the 1001 nights.
Pacific Islander adventures ala Moana
Post-plague Renaissance Italy
Pirate Golden Age
Latin American colonialism (with race-based castes and such)
Victorian Era and Napoleonic wars
Expansion to the West
Cold War-era spy adventures
Sci-Fi without space (robot rebellion, virtual worlds ala TRON, etc)

And that is just with historical&mythological based settings. There are things left out like Gothic horror (as RPGs, not puzzle-horrors) and Dieselpunk. You could also do settings inspired by artists like Escher or Giger, or dozens of other good ones.

And of course, there are relatively unused types of Modern fantasy such as Kaiju and Magical Girl.

Turn-based rpgs, you mean. Because things like City of Heroes were RPGs and pretty popular.

I would also argue that some superheroes could do just fine if you tune the powers, setting, and enemies properly. "The 7th Stand User" felt very much like a superhero game and it played well.

bump45

City of heros is basically elemental mages and knights. And everyone can fly.
Not really what comes to mind when I think "superhero" but I guess it counts for the urban setting.

I haven't seen full settings, but several of those do have a few areas inspired by them in otherwise standard fantasy.

What would you guys think of a game ?

Right? Especially Alternative History settings like Shadow Hearts.

And because they describe Earth cultures, they don't work so great in non-earth settings. Like the Elves and Dwarf societies in Tolkien were based off of Germanic mythology. And they work because they have a certain level of civilization.
And I don't like to suggest that some are more advanced than others. The American cultures didn't have livestock, no domesticated load bearing animals like Europe had. Africa's weather is too extreme to support large societies. Egypt only worked because of the nile. A lot of seafaring societies, but I imagine that would be pretty boring. *Suikoden 4 flashback* yep, pretty boring.

dumb

Explain further.

Hello

I think I'm gonna to the Jam posted before.

It's a short period and it will fresh up my mind and expand my views.

Still searching an idea tho. Unless I just use my big project to make a small piece.

Is there a way to change a map title via event?

As in, If I have a map which is ocean with islands, Is there a way to make the location name drop down change between islands without needing a new map?

I don't know about XVA or MV, but in XP you can set map tiles as the event graphic. Then you can use switches to change the event to whatever you need it to be. Maybe something like that?

soundcloud.com/user-380400385/sophias-theme-2/s-jhf5B

Here is my first attempt at a video game composition that I did in a few days. It's a theme for one of the main characters of my fetish-based RPG. I don't like it very much, but we all have to start somewhere. r8 h8 mstrb8?

The only way I found myself is to disable engine map name displaying, and create a common event that will display your own maptitles.png.

I'm pretty Bethesda tier, so the process would be something like that:

1 - Put a on touch event, with a "set MAPTITLE variable" corresponding to your maptitle.png.
Add a "Switch MAPTITLEPOP", turn it ON.

2 - In a common event that will play if MAPTITLEPOP is ON :
If MAPTITLE variable = x -> Display Picture y
Turn MAPTITLEPOP OFF

Your map will always be the same, but the player will think it's changing, because everytime he go through the on touch event, a new map title will appear.
Just tweak the animations and graphics in the common event.

Obviously, you would tune the setting a bit for playability sake. It is not like medieval life was anything like Dragon Quest or Elder Scrolls. Aztecs ate locusts. and grasshoppers for protein sources, so you could have pig-sized bugs in the setting. And Tolkien-based settings have never shied from using American crops like potatoes, corn, tomatoes, etc. so you could include European crops and textiles as well. Rokka no Yuusha makes some interesting things regarding enemy designs and architecture tuned in for fantasy (although the fashion sense is regular fantasy for the most part, so probably ignore most of those designs).

You don't have Elves and Dwarves in an Aztek setting, but the Mayan creation myth includes Mudmen and Woodmen (with Mayans being created from Corn), which could easily be turned into proper races if you just work their civilization starting from their established character flaws.

You don't really need a bunch of large societies to make an RPG. A lot of African myths have the hero basically leave his tribe at the start and then basically just hanging around wildlife, monsters, and gods until the ending of the story. You just have to keep the story character-based rather than creating some Wewuz Kingdoms.

Ooops. Crickets and grasshoppers, I meant. Locusts are just mature grasshoppers.

It's not bad or anything, but it's kind of bland and doesn't go anywhere. It's inoffensive as background music, but as something that's supposed to be associated with a character, it could stand to have more life in it.

Which one of you made this hot garbage topkek

gamejolt.com/games/broken-quest/41638

what a beautiful game :^)

Makes me think I recently started to play Cubicle Quest. Someone offered it with another real game on Steam, as a gift.

And despite having the default GFX, I'm actually enjoying it.

I know understand more about RPG Maker players. It's like those Little Big Planet levels or any other games. A good level is not necessary original assets.

I completely agree with you on that. I think part of it has to do with it still being kind of a sketch without any dynamics or tempo changes. Maybe the timbre also makes it bland? Do you think it would be better if I changed the melody to a solo instrument like a flute or oboe? I could also rework the second melody into minor but maybe that would be too much contrast in relation to the character (female).

>The pattern looks like a buddha symbol
Top tier symbolism.

Where do you get your RPG maker games? I took a look at the OP and all I saw was that googledocs link.

rpgmaker.net, usually. I used to get them on free games sites (abandonia, gamehippo) but I'm scared to look at those now. It's been like ten years. I don't know if they're even around anymore

half from vgperson
half from /rpgmg/rpgmaker.net/indie/

humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software

>RPG Maker VX Ace for literally 1 buck

Should I buy it if I'm already working on XP and don't want to re-event everything?

I need your guys help.
Basically, I used show picture events to create a custom menu. Now I call upon Status menu by using the script call

"SceneManager.call(Scene_Status)"

Now that's all fine and dandy until I want for it to open a status menu from another actor. Is there any way to change from what actor I open the menu using events and script calls?

Thanks in advance.

Probably, just to have it and retain the option for your next project

I've never come here before. I like your OP butt though so thank you.

Goddamn, working with tilesets is driving me up the wall. Why the FUCK are some tiles ALWAYS able to be passed through even when I mark them with an 'x' in the tileset database? Is there some way to get around this? I'm using VX Ace by the way.

Check the priority of the tile. Also, you can always place invisible events... I think?

Not making much difference. Why did these retards think that allowing characters to walk through walls was a good idea

Which version are you using? Did you check the 4-direction passage?

I'm using VX Ace 1.02a. Yeah, I checked the 4-directional passage but that seems to be disabled for tilesets defined as walls and floors.

test

You need to use another script call to change $game_party.menu_actor prior to your scene change, methinks.

I had the same issue a few months ago and I'm trying to remember what I did to fix it. Maybe you have an invisible passable tile on top of the wall? If it is an auto-tile wall, I think it has to be connected on all sides.

It is an auto-tile wall. I made a 'test map' where I used the wall tile in 2x2, 3x3, and 3x4 boxes but I was still able to walk through all of them.

I second Superheroes. Also Steampunk.
Steampunk Superhero RPG.

Tried it.
Didnt work.

Are you sure it's a wall tile and not one of the floor tiles on the bottom half of the tileset?

Positive. It's the DSPlus_TileA4_Sengoku tileset to be specific

Shit I'm sorry, I've never used those before. Someone can probably answer this easier, but are you going above or behind the wall tiles?

Make sure you haven't set the "blank" (top left) tile on the B layer to be walkable.

Above them. I really appreciate the assistance you've been giving me, it's more than I would've come up with on my own.

I've set all the tiles in the 'wall' set to X in the database.

You need to set it to $game_actors[id].

Just doing some online searching... Maybe this?
forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/player-can-walk-over-wall-roof-tiles-why.26964/#post-258707

Or alternatively, $game_party.members[id] if you're basing the check on party members.

Holy shit it worked!
Thanks!

Spot on! Found the problem, I needed to set the first tile in the B tab to a star. Thanks a million, I've been googling this all morning and must've somehow overlooked this.
Thanks again!

Tilesets can be used in various ways. While it's not perfect I recommend you read the manual of the game, tiletset section.

No problem man, keep up the hard work.

What were the best games made in rpg maker? What about the prettiest/most visually pleasing?

Pocket Mirror's got some nice aesthetics, even if the rest of it's kinda blase

Dunno if best, but I liked Virgo vs the Zodiac.

Heartbeat is really pretty.

boop

Will having tons of switches on cause any lag?

Depends on what the switches are used to do, but by themselves, no.

What's your favorite part of RPGmaker development?
>Maps
>Database
>Scripts
>Events
>memes

Personally, I love events and database work. Mapping drives me up the wall.

i love making npcs

Making grafics. Tiles, characters, battlers. It's all good.