/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

>generic OP pic
>no edition
fuck you, OP

>one obvious bait post on another forum is worth mentioning here

>look ma, i made an obvious bait. Maybe someone on Veeky Forums will like me.

>July 5, 2016
>July 5, 2016
>July 5, 2016

...so this is the power of autism

You ever been harassed by beggars and annoying relatives at your gate? or perhaps uncontrolled migration waves?

Well today is your lucky day. We at Towertech have finally found the perfect solution for your unwanted guests and peers problem. After successfully scaring off hundreds of the most notorious liaisons and door salesman in he continent we finally perfected our contraption and is now ready for commercial use, namely you.
We are proud to bring you the Loop A Loop Drop Scream Pit. It works on gravity and is build either in front of your glorious gate or behind it for that wacky surprise. It will instantly drop them into a tub that will either send them flying out the way wench they came or directly down into deep caverns all is up to you. It comes in the normal smooth tube or the ruff rider version with knotty patterns and sticky hands hanging in head height /may vary after race and size).
We also offer you false gates and doors to lure the unsuspecting intruders away from your gates for o modest fee.
Strike now and get our clear vision crystal installed to get those hilarious pictures of the faces of the intrudes they goes flying off.

>The contraption comes as a build it yourself IKEA type or you can order the finished model where our expert workers will install it for a nominal fee and hourly wages, must also be certitudes yer by a certified inspector (Us).

Who was in the wrong here?

Am I the only one who sometimes opens the game, start designing markers for a few hours and assigning tasks a bit, and then save and quit without having made any ingame time progress?

>reinstall after like 3 years hiatus
>can now designate areas to pick fruit/berries
I'm literally so happy right now and I don't know why

>mfw stone traps utterly butcher invading cave fauna

I love those things :)

Personally, I keep two corridors to the caverns. One is filled with stonefall traps, the other cage traps. If something cool, like an FB (cos webbing cage traps is easy these days) or a GCS shows up, I'll open the cage corridor. If they don't, then the stonefall corridor is open at all other times.

It's always the small quality-of-life changes between updates that improve the game the most.

I have only one, filled with all kinds of traps.
Never liked to have two entrances.

>breach caverns in War and Myth mod
>"two headed werespider"
>mfw

what are some minimalist fort designs?

>two lesser wendigos attack my fort
>kill one stranded logger, pastured sheep and rabbit
>soldiers rush to kill the fuckers
>catch one in the stairway
>mob him but not before he managed to kill the Likot Korudill, second in command to commander Dumed "Ironlord" Nikumzeskath
>for some reason entire squad goes to chill into the barracks despite the order to kill the second wendigo, only one soldier, Dakost runs out to confront him
>he gets help - 14 yo janitor girl named Nomal
>together they manage to kill the second wendigo but not before he kills the Dakost and heavily wounds Nomal
>14 yo girl just kicked the wendigo to death

Gods, i love this game.

RIP guys, Kivishiton "Lancerhalls" will never forget your sacrifice.
;_;7

1x1, hermit ones ?

idk, I usually am a fan of simplicity, but if I have stonefall traps, I miss out on good cavern fauna, and if I have cage traps, I catch a trillion troglodytes, who I have no idea what to do with. With two corridors, it's the best of both worlds.

Hi, i just lunched DF, what should i expect?
What things can lead to FPS drop? is there a limit to population?

F

Why do I read the FotF? It's always just ~30 questions that go like this:
>Is feature X possible?
>yes, but I don't know when
He could make a bot to write these.

I used to do a lot of 2x1 embarks on my old netbook. If I still had it I could pull my forts from it and show you some stuff I played around with.

What I found really worked in that cramped space was to have meeting halls, housing, taverns, temples, etc, in the center of the map on separate z-levels, surrounded by 3 z-level industry blocks.

The way the industry blocks would work is you'd have an 11x11 stockpile room with a down-stair in the center, below that you have an up/down-stair with 4 5x5 rooms for workshops branching out diagonally from the stairs so they fill the dimensions of the above 11x11 stockpile. Then below that you have another 11x11 stockpile.

Depending on where the block was in the fort, the upper stockpile might be for input items, like food or wood if it was near the top of the fort, and the bottom would be output so it's closer to the main meeting hall. If it's towards the bottom of the fort the input would be on the bottom stockpile for rocks and ores, and the top would be output for furniture and goods.

I got it so that arranged around the center, the middle of each block was some multiple of 11 tiles from eachother for easy navigation.

Was pretty comfy.

im doing a 2x1 embark right now. its very cozy, and you can see the whole screen at a comfortable zoom level

>2x1 embark
>19 fps

Are you playing on C64 or what ?

well im 25 years into this fort, but i only have a population of 43 (was 45 until happened).

Yeah that's something I liked about it. You should invest in a nice big tileset, like infinity x infinity or something.

Also I found that it's easier to embark somewhere totally flat for the sake of making a nice fortification without much complication.

Oh wow, I really hadn't registered how small a 2x1 really is. I might do one some time.

is the tileset im using.

I can recommend it, it's comfy af

No joke, those are my first dwarf that died actually defending the fort.
Others are only sacrificial engravers and that one hauler that died in a cave in.

I made them a bitching gold statues and set them at the entrance of the fort, let everyone know that the spirit of Dakost and Likot watch over this place.

Wtf, why is it so low ? You have pretty decent rig and your fort is small as fuck..

What do you do when you don't have adamantine though? Do you just go without?

I wish I knew man, idk how everyone on here is able to do 200 dwarf forts on 4x4 embarks on a potato computer, it really is a mystery to me but ive accepted it. 20 fps is actually pretty comfy r-right? ;_;

does a tower layout have advantages?

You can build the whole thing on top of one support, making it possible to cave the whole thing in with one lever.

I don't know. Make the fort successful, retire and embark somewhere else, I guess.

just make sure your crossbowdwarves do not have any path to the surface, and make sure they are walled in with a ceiling, otherwise you get pic related

I think it's because most people only play forts for a short amount of time (less than 20 years), and that they tend to clean contaminants automatically with DFHack

Right.. I am playing completely vanilla. I am tempted to use DFhack purely for Dwarf Manipulator, and to see the stress levels of the dwarves, but having gone so far without it I am paranoid about crashing and anyway im fine without it

heres my fort by the way, r8

I use DFHack almost purely for the manipulator, and play otherwise vanilla (apart from legends related things). I've never had any DFHack related crashes before, and manipulator is incredibly useful.

>mfw i play with Spacefox so i cant even say what im looking at...

>tfw Dakost statue is him marrying his wife

:(

DFHack is only for quicksaving and in game legend export, using it for anything else is cheating.

Learn the ascii its so much better and easier to read when u get used to it. Its like coding in emacs or vim instead of a IDE, theres a learning curve but once you get the hang of it ... Skys the limit

Nah bro, im good with Spacefox.

what's the best way to close and control paths?

k well youre missing out

Even with the ceiling it can sometimes happen.

I've found having the embattlements hanging in the open works better for preventing it. Dorfs have to be able to climb down, and they can't climb across gaps.

so a single bin can hold over 200 pieces of cloth.

the wiki is useful but it just scratches the surface. a lot of stuff in this game is not even on there, wish there was an Encyclopedia Dwarfica somewhere, guess i will have to start making it myself

Just contribute to the wiki you mango

been doing that already, but yeah you're right no sense reinventing the wheel. Still it would be nice to have a clean, comprehensive spreadsheet or searchable pdf or something.

Not sure what you're asking for. You want someone to design a fort for you?

yes, i'm new to this, i like small but effective designs yet i can't make them myself

Just take a crack at it, get practice, figure out what works and what doesn't. Post screenshots and we can give you critique. Dont just ask us to hold your hand and do it all for you.

>The dead walk!
>Prepare
>Unpause
>zombies left almost instantly
>my dwarfes are chasing someone
>Human necromancer getting his ass kicked by a glassmaker

happened to me too, multiple sieges
>A vile force of darkness has arrived!
>6 goblins, 10 elves
>unpause
>half of them just leave
>other half just stands around twiddling their thumbs
>send military out to confront them
>more have just wandered off the map, only 2 left
>they get slaughtered
wow, some siege. how exciting

>only entry into the fortress is swarmed with war dogs and war/normal hell hounds

Haha, good luck sneaking into that you goblin faggots.

tileset pls

vanilla

Spacefox.

I'd like to think that years ago he was more responsive and interesting, and it's just that the thousands of stupid questions from the dregs of his fanbase have worn him down. But fotf has always been that way. He's just not good at sharing his vision or giving a straight yes or no answer.

It might be part of the reason why df itself has remained so interesting - he has a plan, but he doesn't actually stick to it or care and it changes whenever he gets distracted. With no paying customers actually holding him to any sort of accountability, he's free to simply follow the muse. The result is pure, glorious autism.

Getting Marksdwarves to train drives me fucking crazy. Everything LOOKS fine but I'm sure there's some tiny little thing that makes them go full retard and sit at {no activity}

They're assigned crossbows, they're assigned bolts, both are accessible, they're assigned 10 individual archery ranges the full size of the room, they're set to active/train, they're set to 10 individual train(1 minimum), they're set to wear uniform while inactive

I don't know what the fuck it wants

>searchable PDF
What about a... searchable... wiki?

>mfw 10 dwarfs in militia
>this siege appear

Thanks a fucking lot for those 30 kids in one migrant wave you fucking faggot, helped a lot...

The purest minimal design is a single stack of 11x11 rooms straight down, with a 5x5 stair in the middle. Be sure to center it precisely in the middle of your 1x1 embark.

Is this like one of those infomercials where a woman can't open a can of paint and the shot slows down and turns b/w just as she flips it onto her shirt and stabs herself in the arm with the screwdriver?

When you selected the tileset did a disembodied voice boom out "ascii is just TOO HARD. but we don't have to suffer ANY LONGER!"

not sure why it's super tiny, 16px isn't good for my eyes, i need something bigger, looking for other resolutions

No its more of me accidentaly saving pic as a greyscale and being too lazy to fix it.

I like Spacefox, clearest and most cute tileset available.

heres a tileset i made. I could do something different with the walls.

>most cute
cutest*
Gods im tired..

He's said some things in talks/devlogs that make it seem like he feels the pressure from his patreonbux. At least a little.

heres another one i made, hand drawn aesthetic. its a fun gimmick but it is a little hard to look at after a while

heres a demo

oh shit i should design my tileset, dunno why it never occurred to me when i do pixel editing anyway

Siege had been reduced to one goblin who will soon burn in magma.
Commander Ironblood and Chief plan worked perfectly, their hell hounds and war dogs stalled the goblins long enough to release our magma containers.
No dwarf have been injured but we unfortunately lost most of our dogs and hounds...

RIP little brothers, thanks to you Kivishiton still stands tall.
;___;7

P.s. i caught 6 goblins in my cage traps.
Give me some idea what i can do with them.

Here is the kill list.

I recommend you at least spend a little time playing vanilla so you can tell what's going on when people post ASCII forts.

As a matter of fact now every squad is just not grabbing most of their equipment, including weapons. This is making the axedwarf squad train wrestling.

Dwarf Fortress why you so autistic mang

That looks pretty awesome

Love it. Very Paper Mario / Yoshi's Story aesthetic.

Thanks!

I wonder if one could mod wagons into sea creatures and make boats.

>be scholar
>visit fortress
>check out the library
>pretty neat, decent books, amateur prose at best
>legendary dining room and plenty of food and booze, decent inn with rooms
>petition for residency
>petition is denied
>butthurt, leave the fort
>steal a book out of spite
fucking nigger scholars

Wow, it somehow all comes together and looks pretty good. Reminds me of Yoshi's Island.

>try to build hospital with small pond with running water for patients
>set everything up, pond starts to fill
>try to close foodgate
>some god damned stone moved with water and blocks floodgate
>entire hospital floods drowning the only patient in it

Fuck.
Dwarf was irrelevant, some faggot that refused to leave bed because of an infected toe but i had shitload of thread and cloth there, not to mention 4 traction benches and beds ..

>Those Updown Stairs
I wish Phoebus had them. I hate the white X's it uses

211 kills and counting. There's just too many of them. Poor lad can only kill so much in a day.
Has anyone actually tried doing anything interesting mod-wise with wagons? They're the only multi-tile "creatures," right?

make a webm about your fort

Help, two of my dwarves are crippled, and no one is taking them to the hospital. They're just laying there conscious, probably thinking when's the next time they'll get their breaks next year. Everything I cite makes it seem like a bug. Is it a bug or are dwarves just being lazy fucks?

Do they have the recovering wounded enabled ?
Is the hospital designated properly ?
Check tasks, maybe they are buried under some normal hauling and shit.

The military dwarves look kind of derpy tbf

Every single dwarf has recover wounded enabled. Using Dwarf Therapist. The hospital has been built with beds, containers, and tables and designated as such with enough cloth, crutches, and splinters. Just designated two people that seem the most compliant to do the recovery, but after sleeping, they just went to the dining hall.

Are they just gonna lay there and bleed out or... will something happen?

>flashing yellow arrow, dwarf is distracted
>check out whats bothering him
>badly distracted after lack of decent meals
>when possible he likes to drink bilberry wine
>bilberry wine is in stock and available
DRINK IT YOU FUCK