What is the best thing to do with programming skills to earn as much money as possible(CS degree)...

What is the best thing to do with programming skills to earn as much money as possible(CS degree)? I mean except simply finding a programmer job at some firm.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0CDXJ6bMkMY
newscientist.com/article/mg23331144-500-ai-learns-to-write-its-own-code-by-stealing-from-other-programs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've been trying to figure out the same thing.

My opinion is that programmer as a job is a dead-end.

Start your own business on the side. Doesn't even have to be anything software-related. Just do something.

Build applications and enterprise software. As a single programmer your best bet is to start creating applications.

When you get a reputation and some money, build a team and automate business functions. You will be able to provide lots of value if your products are good.

If you by "programmer job" mean a steady job, then a good alternative is being a "gun-for-hire".

You sell your time, making mission critical software for companies. Then when they gotta upgrade, or something bad happens, any other solution except hiring you again is unfeasible. That's when you start charging the equivalent of a lawyers' fee to help them out.

You do this, work 10% of the time of a regular mortal. Spend the rest of your time shit-posting, building software that interests you, or grow potatoes.

Literally useless

OP, I have a CS degree and all I know is coding, and I fucking hate the corporate work environment so I do my own thing. I go mostly to law offices and tell them I can automate shit for them, and then I make up numbers about how much it will save them/make them. I usually make programs to make letters for people in car accidents or speeding ticket so they can reach more customers. I also setup programs to filter patient data at general practitioners offices

Is it a "one time thing" where you sell your time / code or do you make them pay a licence to use your software? Do you provide support? How about creating a "general purpose" software for say "sending letter to car crashes victims" and sell it to a lot of firms? Very interesting business tbqh famm.

First, a programming job is a great steady supply of capital. It's not difficult to get to the 80k-120k salary range, at which point you have a steady steam of cash to fund your own ventures.

Then come the side projects. Near zero cost in building / hosting since you're the labor and servers are cheap. I think B2B has the largest returns. It's easy to get a 20k contract with a business if you solve a problem for them. It's more difficult to sell 10k 2$ apps.

What do you mean by "literally useless"?

wirte an algo to beat the stock market

How has no one thought of this already?!?

wear this and chill in front of google headquarter

People have

I work in asset/risk management and I code in R/ work on models evaluating positions.

but the guys who really build the important market-risk models are usually C++ or ruby programmer

kek'd

ahaha i see this meme all day, poorfags wanting to get rich quick. No one is ever going to help you.

Probably something related to algorithmic trading and machine learning. You don't have to be successful, you just have to sell that shit to a rich idiot who likes buzzwords.

youtube.com/watch?v=0CDXJ6bMkMY

I approach them with the concept as a one time purchase, and I kinda have a base program I use and lightly modify to fit different offices. I haven't thought of licensing it because I don't have any experience in that kind of business, however, I might look into it and expand past my local area. I offer support if the program bugs out or fucks up in any way, but I make them to be as automatic as possible so the normies at the office don't mess anything up

You guys use C++ instead of C#? Why?

I used to do this, but as a full time employee that switched jobs frequently. Mostly automating reporting functions or simple machine learning models for regional banks. They're all waaaaay behind tech wise. I set them up with R markdowns scheduled on a chron job.

How did you get started independently? I feel like I could make a killing in data science consulting, I'm just not sure how to get off the ground.

So you're a Quant?

Become a hacker and enter the black market for selling stolen business and institutional data.

No one. It took one brilliant user on Veeky Forums to come up with this complete novel idea.

Algorithmic Trading.

>9.87%
>hacking the matrix

Pick one

>make shitcoins
>edgy names
>shittier ICOs
>Premine antics
>pump and dump
>repeat until you are completely retarded or make so much money you never have to touch your own cock again

Learn SQL

what is this?

I know SQL and even wrote a simple SQL database myself in C++ at University but I'm unemployed.

pls respond

Corporate environment is awful for anybody that knows what they're doing. These places buy the team meme hook, line, and sinker, so everything is design by committee. If you're even half as bothered by doing a shitty job because that's what you were told to do as I am, get out ASAP.

I'm in the same boat. I'm intermediate level with 4 programming languages and I'd like to branch out on my own some day. I'm big on automation at my current job. I still have a ton to learn though.

How much can you charge automating tasks for small companies? How the hell can you get started without any freelancing experience?

Better yet, where do people search for work?

Enjoy spending so much time and effort trying to get a skillset that 100,000,000 shitskins in southeast asia can do

What would you suggest?

Plumbing or HVAC

Always in demand
Can't be outsourced to India over the Internet
Won't be replaced by robots soon

>south Asian shitskins
>skill
topkek

Let's be honest, they're cheap bodies. When somebody needs real work done, they don't stand a chance.

>electrical engineering
>become avionics technician
>work for boeing or some dime-a-dozen space tech company
>make more money than ivan or pajeet who work a million hours a week for shit pay on freelance work
>have job security
>build robots in your free time

Even women can do it now, and even though they're invariably incompetent at it, companies don't care because muh diversity.

The problem with programming is it's an ever-evolving subject, and will be completely automated soon.

Unless you're a pascal expert making very specialized medical instruments, it's not a skillset worth acquiring now due to a) the massive competition from subhumans and b) the eventual replacement of human programmers with mostly automated hardware nodes maintained by a tiny amount of experts in a field we don't even know what would be called yet.

>The problem with programming is it's an ever-evolving subject, and will be completely automated soon.
>and will be completely automated soon.
That's fucking bullshit.
Programmers act as a 'compiler' for english, computers can't understand what your investor/mangement want from an application.
I know there's a machine learning thing/AI that can "code" to solve simplistic problems, but the exact problem needs to be defined. How can an AI tell a program that it just programmed is correct?
newscientist.com/article/mg23331144-500-ai-learns-to-write-its-own-code-by-stealing-from-other-programs/

There's been bullshit "computers are smart now" clickbait articles since the mid 90's. Not to say that AI hasn't improved, but it varies quite a bit from area to area, and self-programming is one of the last things that will probably ever be automated.

They're running themselves out of the market. It's hilarious to me when I see Chinese ads for freelancers that specifically say no Indians.

This is my struggle, and what I'm currently trying to figure out. I don't want to do client work or get a job. Making websites or apps for people makes me want to kill myself.

My main thoughts has been on how to monetize data that is already public. So my current project, that I'm working on deploying is based off that -- selling "public" data in a cleaned up form or in a form that transforms it.

I've tried to make some apps and haven't had any success. Spent like 6 weeks doing that. Very disheartening. But I learned RN and that's a good backup, in case I continue to fail.

I think there is a lot of opportunity in what stupids want. There is so much garbage that one could just slap ads on and promote.

I'm trying to stop caring about the tech or anything and focus on the marketing and advertising first. That is where I'm going to start next time for sure.

Even right now, I have a promotional plan for my project but I haven't tested it, it's just a stack of assumptions.

try making an app called "background check"

make it as simple as possible, just enter some ones name and it compiles random data from public records. people would use that, and it would be prime for ads

that's pretty good. wouldn't even have to make it pull shit - you could just forward them to an affiliate site. i have 'background check' on my ideas list, i never tried because it seemed very difficult to market.

Linear regression

>learn programming over several years
>have incredibly niche program idea no one could have possibly thought of before
>google it
>theres like 10 companies already making it

every. fucking. time

>But I learned RN
huh?

Any programmer interested in collaborating with a skilled ui/ux designer? Doing my master now and have some free time left

are you me?

Problem that I've found in the banking sector is addiction to MS office

Quant

Professional Java Developer here looking to form a small group, hit me up.
[email protected]

React Native. Trendy framework that pays well.

>except simply finding a programmer job at some firm
when you don't know shit yet that is exactly what you can do.