/rpgmg/ RPG Maker General #228

Answer to OP if you have links or modifications and pray someone sees them, also tell me if I should stop making the threads.

Previous Thread: >Trending
RPG Maker Bundle: humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software
Indie Game Maker Contest 2017 (RPG Maker Jam): itch.io/jam/igmc2017

>/rpgmg/ Wikia
rpgmg-games.wikia.com/wiki//rpgmg/_Games_Wikia
>Art Resources & DLC Pastebin
pastebin.com/2bJ8wBsz
>[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
>[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

>RPG Maker MV 1.4 Repack
mega.nz/#!CgESnSzb!ZBeyWAWbLE5qQOsKAe3Y5WU5BFC0BQXtfBJOoiWiWsg
>RPG Maker MV Season 4 Pass
www21.zippyshare.com/v/Bdru8nJg/file.html

>RPG Maker MV 1.5.0 Crack by Anonymous
a.pomf.space/jnmejslvrdrn.7z (Win10) PW: 184902742
a.pomf.space/bowkgurjmpah.7z (Win7) PW: 186045660
Acquire the installer from official RPGM forums.

>The /rpgmg/ podcast (hiatus until October)
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

>Useful Art Tutorials & Guides
youtube.com/user/Shineyoctopus/videos
finalbossblues.com/pixel-tutorials/

>Recent thread projects
Stargem Castle: mediafire.com/file/n32ssapqaa5jr95/Stargem Castle.7z
Tempus Ex Machina Demo: mediafire.com/folder/z69y7undwpp9s/Tempus Ex Machina
/rpgmg/ Collab Project | Ch5 in progress: mediafire.com/file/ckfve2l1n6skby6/CollabProj-4.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-380400385/sophias-theme-redux/s-36ye0
vexedenigma.itch.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=elIsw1N1oVk&list=PLnGVCb3_remfTND5JjBkfeQar8KEbxSYj
humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software
youtube.com/watch?v=Neo73JLJmac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And this thread better don't die

>tfw you try to work on your lewd game but you can't hold your need to fap

Working on the biggest map we have yet!
Sadly, we're a little short on character ideas, but that'll change.
Do you have any fun NPC's in your game user?

It's just might...

I just start eventing if I want to kill my boner

I will make a fat cop going berserk retard chase mode, if the player fails a minigame.

I got a friend to voice it, with his shitty mic.

If only 3D games were as simple as RPG Maker eventing.

Anyone have download links to any of PVG's Medieval stuff for MV? I only have Town and Country and Interiors. Mainly looking for Warfare, Dungeons and Bosses.

There is always RPG Maker 3 on PS2?

I should say: If only 3D non RPG games were as simple as RPG Maker eventing.

Whoops, bump.

sleep tight

byump

Is it okay to upscale 512x512 tilesets using waifu2x?

yes

good night bump

>Random encounters
>overworld encounters
Which do you prefer?

overworld

Good overworld encounters > random encounters > bad overworld encounters.

Overworld encounters can be great, but if you make the enemies a bunch of obnoxious fuckmonsters that chase you across the entire map and block off passages, I'll take randos over it any day.

Bump?

Why not both?

Random for trash, overworld for bosses

Are people still on the Discord? We should get them back here if yes. Like that with the cat game. Why is the thread so dead nowadays?

There's a Discord?

>Why is the thread so dead nowadays?
Maybe people are too busy making games instead of shitposting.

>Use VXace's RTP
>check SE to be use for common events
>Click "Magic4"
>It sounds exactly like the casting SE in Morrowind
Will I get sued by Todd if I use this?

NO DONT GO THERE PLZ

I have no intention to do so, but I'm curious as to what's the problem with it? Also, your comment reminded me of this.

soundcloud.com/user-380400385/sophias-theme-redux/s-36ye0

Posting some work on this piece as a bump. Changed the instrumentation so now it has a solo flute.

Still needs work on re-tooling the piano accompaniment, dynamics and phrasing for the flute.

When they did the Discord. It's split an already dying thread

Posting one of my notorious eye cancer WiP.

It's for the that IGMC Jam.

bump

How hard is it to learn rpg maker? In reality, how long would it take someone to make a "quality" game? How long did it take you? Is Ruby necessary to learn to make "good" games in it?

Ruby is not necessary unless you really want to make an original UI or scripts for your game. Making a quality game may take up 6 months to 1/2/3/4 year.

Some aspects are easier to learn than others. I would say that learning out to map is easier than learning how to event. But there are a lot little quirks about the platform that tend to go unnoticed your first time.

As for making a "quality" game, that's solely based on the person using it.

I've heard that Rpg maker is no good for longer games, why is this (and is it true)? Sorry for these dumb questions btw, was just considering buying the bundle and never made a game before.

Why so? There are plenty of long games around there and they are damn good. You'll get used to RPG Maker so easily, it's pretty good engine for starters.

Pretty much this.

Consider it like a pre-programmed Ruby program that you can edit with certain restrictions that you can eventually change.

I have no idea, the guy didn't really explain why, he just said it was too "limited".
I just have one last question, for vx ace, is there a way to get around the forced small resolution of the game? I know the more recent one apparently lets you do higher resolution. Should I just wait until a sale for MV?

For me it's the most intuitive engine out there. It's easier to start with it because it's more about logical elements to assemble, rather than learning a new langage.

The "blocks" (see pic), are pretty self explanatory for a newcomer. It's easy to make a bunch of shit soon enough.

Then come the part where you get good, and unless you can code, you might find yourself limited by the engine.
This is where I'm at and I just go full Bethesda.

And going full Bethesda is rather dangerous for a long game.

The oldschool RPG core allows for quick and powerful start, the more you go out of this, the more it becomes complicated.

I don't have much experience with VXAce, but I'm sure you can google how to change it, if possible.

It's not limited, you can basically do everything other JRPGs do. It's very easy to make Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or similiar games.

Ace can go to 640x480 maximum, but you can stretch the screen with scripts.

bump

Does anyone have a link to all the shit over here?

vexedenigma.itch.io/

I will provide kind words and perhaps a reach around if you want it.

One last bump before I'm off to work

It's easy, probably one of the best way to get started and see concrete results.

youtube.com/watch?v=elIsw1N1oVk&list=PLnGVCb3_remfTND5JjBkfeQar8KEbxSYj

This guy has a decent video tutorial, and a pleasant voice.

Also
humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software
RPG Maker VX Ace, the second newest one, is currently 1 dollar on Humble bundle. If you aim to sell your game someday, having an original steam version will help you.

RPG Maker VX ace has been out for quite some time, which means the community has created a lot of content, scripts and assets for it. RPG Maker MV is the newest one, but it doesn't have that much support yet.

what are your project management skills?

the vast majority of amateur game devs(in this general, in aggy daggy, and facebook friends who claim to be amateur game devs but are often just wishful thinking idea guys) are brimming with pep and optimism with having so many good tools available to make your own dream game. The dirty secret truth is that while literally anyone can be a one-man army in this day and age with tools like RPG Maker available, very few people have the ability to actually follow through and complete a project, start to finish.

The kinds of people who fail to get an RPG Maker project off the ground are the same kinds of people who buy a canvas on sale with a coupon at Michael's® and maybe sketch out some lines in pencil but fail to actually finish the painting they set out to do. Maybe they never had parents push them to finish what they start, maybe they never had a real project to ever devote themselves to in their lives. Maybe they drew a portrait for a girl to ask her out to prom, and got turned down, and never went to prom as a result of the rejection, and despite moving on with life and having multiple girlfriends, a wife, kid, getting a 40/hr a week career and buying their own house they never finished that painting of an ex because art and rejection go hand-in-hand and talent should be left on the vine to rot in the sun because you already have enough going well in life and you don't want to jinx it and lose something you fought hard to get in the first place.

I don't know where I was going with this. Fuck you, Sara, you self-righteous cunt. I dodged a fucking bullet with you. Anyways, trying finishing other hobby projects and you should be able to finish game. It's all there, working a job with teams and deadlines and design documents helps a lot. Bitch.

>mfw I've finished my project, completed the main story and working on an expansion for it, worst decision of my life

Slowly cleaning the mess with my sick art skillz

bump

time to continue my shitty project, it's been soo long. I need to re-learn a lot of stuff again

Good luck brother

thanks user, It's been like 4 years since I touched this

It's never too late. What's the game about?

Criticize my map bros.

a hentai game about a sheltered prince traveling the world and sexing every girl on his way.

I started it just to learn how to use the program, basic default assets, music and sounds. the H-images are taken from pixiv and such.

I only posted it like 4 years ago and some anons were kind enough to find bugs and give pointers

-b-but I actually like it.

I like the parts where you walk under the canopy. Who made the actual trees, is it a tileset you downloaded or did you make it yourself?

Sounds like it's going to be a fun project! Does it have combat at all? Are you going to include any fetishes or is it all vanilla/rape stuff?

Most of it is from the Ancient Dungeons Tileset Pack, with some other Celianna tiles mixed in.

I haven't used RPG Maker in years, what's MV is good or bad compared to Ace? What is the repack and why can't I play test jack shit without it saying jsons are missing.

I composed the tileset myself.

the dead trees stand out as out of place, otherwise it's quite good. The dirt patches are rounded and organic, but still give that tile-y feel you expect in a SNES rpg. Especially good in the top/top right areas. The willow trees are a wierd color, but don't feel out of place the way the dead trees do. Water has nice detail in the algae/muck, some lillypads have follow and some don't.

If I had to dig for criticisms, I'd say that it's not real common to see deciduous and coniferous trees mixing in the way you have them. I'd cut the pine trees or scale them back personally. And as beautifully as you've crafted the center pond, I question whether or not a player can really approach it from the north side to appreciate or move within it. South side seems fine though.

I also like the darker greens of the map in general, and the uptick in brightness on the medium-large bushy trees to the bright teal-green of the willows to match their size. It's a neat effect on the macro level, where the largest trees are the most vibrant. Not sure how it would feel boots-on-the-ground as a player, it may be more jarring then but I like it here and now.

What's your goal with this map, is it meant to be a transitory crossroads to connect towns, is it a dungeon, does it have random encounters or any planned NPCs?

>I made it
>it's mostly from _____

someone's got some 'splaining to do

MV publishes to mobile platforms easily. If you want to make a phone or tablet RPG, best program hands down while still working for PCs.

MV has a higher resolution, so a lot of old assets don't transfer into MV from say, VX, without tweaking things in photoshop. Which you should have no problem doing honestly, but it's a pain to some people.

MV is bloated in that it can make games in HTML5 for web pages/browsers, but in doing so it is forced to include files that you might not give a fuck about. Not really a big deal, some engine fags think it's absolute heresy but you'd be lucky if your game ever breaks 10 gigs

Because it's the newest and has the different higher def resolutions, there's less tilesets, sprites and scripts to slap into it as there are for older versions. Not a big deal

It's a transitory crossroads to connect areas of the game, as there's no proper overworld map and the game's more exploration-based.

The north side of the pond is going to have an entrance to underground tunnels (noted by the pit on the upper right bit of the pond), and the left bit's going to have an item.

Thanks for the feeback, though.

Composed tileset != drew the tiles. Compiled the necessary tiles into a tileset would be more accurate.

It has the basic RPG combat from the game. But I didn't touch this much yet since the first 30 minutes are prety rail-roady.
My aim is to include a lot of different fetishes, no vore, scat, anal prolapse or that kind of stuff though. not my cup of tea

giving it a second look, if there's already ways to squeeze a player into the northern shore behind the one top-right willow and left between the two saplings, then it's even better than I thought, kudos.

Do you plan on eventually doing your own artwork? If worst comes to worst, you learn a new artistic skill in the end.

maybe if some day I master the RPG Maker software and I can move onto other stuff, but I've been going backwards instead of forward on that regard

What about handholding?

in some ways, it's inspiring and refreshing to go back and look at older RPGs and realize just how little was actually at work under the hood. like, the first three Wizardry games walkthroughs are 3-4 paragraphs of riddle answers or what order to find certain key items. The maps are all the work in their case. And other RPGs like final fantasy or earthbound only have like 30 maps, and just weave the player around in such a way that the world seems so much bigger than it actually is

I would at least start looking at fundamentals and basics. I'm in the same boat with my fetish RPG and I think it works better in the end if you have the foundations before you start "learning."

bump

And another before rehearsal. Take care folks

Making Maps For Mother Fan Game.
any thoughts?

makes me think of this as a suitable bgm youtube.com/watch?v=Neo73JLJmac

eyy it works. it's a project I started with a pirated version, opened perfectly with steam

If your game doesn't have a qt goblin, you fucked up

Shit that's a good idea. Maybe I'll throw one in as an NPC or something

>would have one but it would be extremely out of place in the game's setting
A true dilemma here.

Have what?

See

Do you have a program to help you making this tileset?

Your stairs...

...are ladders!

MS.Paint.

It's not that bad. It's kinda unique.

I have serious problems with figuring out what is what on the tilesets

I don't mean they are actually ladder tiles, I mean they're laid out like ladders. A ladder can hang straight down, but stairs must be longer than the height of the wall because they're a ramp.

that's helpful, thanks user

Oh shit, I didn't know about that sale at all. Thanks for the heads up user. Been thinking about getting a legit version.

>How hard is it to learn rpg maker?

In the word of a famous chess player "It just works!"

No problem. It's a really common mistake.

No one?

I did it! I'm so proud! I made a simple game using events and random variables! Basically you are presented with three facedown cards. One had an ace, the other two have jokers. You have to try to guess which card is the ace and flip it over. I have graphics and everything. Will post in a few hours when I get back home.