incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2017/youkai-watch/
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/patch/4_1
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2b058731112d9859b50789e65fcc86e77977f3e5
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/battle/
pastebin.com/raw/WbvNsp8N
patreon.com/godotengine
youtube.com/watch?v=uSDVA5CQBu8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for abusive MCs

Reposting progress.

Give me a breakdown of hack and slash games effects and hitboxes, i'll give you (You)s

reposting since new thread.

That last kick gets me every time

Reposting because I'm an idiot.

Wasn't the voxel grid only used for the terrain deformation in that though? The actual art is just standard pixel art and pre-redered 3d models.
OG voxels were just used to make 2D terrain modification/decals and hightmaps manageable with high pathing demands and large maps. It wasn't until minecraft style 3d voxels that they became a significant aspect of the visual style.

Diest, here is an example. Assuming it was actually readable (a color and outlining issue). I want the region text that comes up to look right. Perhaps I should use a different font for region text, but I really like this one.

Is it possible to ask a question about ideaguys(I'm not one), or just mentioning the concept itself will end up with the question being ignored/bashed/derided regardless?

I think I've said this before, but the improvement between your original 3d prototype and what you have now is outstanding.

Why don't you just ask the question instead of asking about asking about the question?

im verying that all the nodes in the tree work as they should
its very boring

Anyway, this is really looking good. I personally like the walkable areas a lot. my main issue is the large walls in the background. Why constantly obscure your beautiful ocean and cloud background with them? They make the scene so much more boring. If you simply remove them, and put the palm trees on the ground you would open up the space a ton.

Until you pick readable colors and outlining its pretty hard to tell if it looks any good. That said, font choice is pretty much one of the least significant details of a game, unless you pick something that is unreadable, a shit color or clashes with the zone or game theme.

I think you really need to design a way to make the enviroments appealing and graphically impressive. The game sprites are lovely, but the current 3D is quite dull and low res.

Oh I see what you mean. I'm not sure what you can do to resize the font to fit the same pixel size. I guess getting another font for big text is the way to go.

Do you mean the 2D prototype? And thanks! It's been almost 3 years since that prototype so I would say its not good enough.

I'm going to lower their height so you can see more of the background image, but they're mainly there to hide the sandy floor from ending and seeing the very bottom of the bg image.

They're low res because I'm trying to look like a PS1/N64 game. I'm currently working on making the environments look more interesting.

After a long day of adventuring, nothing like going back to the farm to relax a bit. Happy Halloween!

is this the game molyneux promised

Well, can I modify the font at 3x so that it is smoother? The liscense said something about not being allowed to modify it.

haha your game always takes me somewhere i wouldnt expect and makes me laugh. keep it up. this could be a real gem

yea sure. I thought the license meant you can't modify+redistribute

ahh maybe it did. i dont understand all that stuff. thanks budd-ee

/xivg/ Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood General
Thingkin Edition
>Current Events
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2017/youkai-watch/

>Updated! PVP mode, Beast Tribes, Manderville, and more in 4.1 teasers.
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/patch/4_1

>Patch 4.06a Notes & Logs
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2b058731112d9859b50789e65fcc86e77977f3e5
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/

>Job Guide
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/battle/

>Resources, Guides, Free Companies and Linkshells:
pastebin.com/raw/WbvNsp8N

Old:

>yfw you don't have time to work on your game anymore

Is there anything worse than this?

what happened?

epic, simply epic

this is fucking cute as fuck

Sorry...

yet you have time to post on 4chin? give me a break. you make time for the things you want to do, or you dont. if you dont, there is nothing to say.

Because last time I did all i got was a pletora of replies quoting only and exclusively the fact that i mentioned the concept of ideaguys, without receiving any sort of answer to the question itself, not even to say it was a stupid question or whatever.

Anyway.
I'm not a programmer, artist, designer, or anything that could contribute to a game development, but in the past weeks I've been reading and viewing a lot of documents, interviews and behind the scenes of game development, and I noticed that the figure of the ideaguy is indeed one that is present in a lot of game development teams.
I don't exactly remember what documentary it was(i think it was for a PS2 game), but I clearly remember a section in which they said something along the lines of "he basically comes up with ideas for the game we're making and propose those to us so we can work together to see if they're good ideas, fitting in the game, and if they're doable with the technology we have".
On another document I remember reading a detailed description of what each member did for the game, and there were 2 or 3 people who did nothing concrete(no coding, drawing concepts, level designing, music, nothing practical) except for exploring the possibilities and mechanics that could be implemented in the game by the people who practically create the game.
All of this sound pretty much like what an ideaguy is.
Now...if that's the case, why are ideaguys bashed so much if they're an actual part of what game developing is?
And would you(programmers) work with ideaguys who do nothing else but that if their ideas were actually good enough to be tested, tried, and eventually implemented in hypothetical games?

with some help of some friends, I have made a shotgun mace hybrid.

is this gameplay meant for 4 year olds? It looks boring as hell.

Reposting also. Got click to move working, enemy pop-in (when accounting for walls) settled, and finished grass!
I know eventually I'll have to fix going from grass to the open (losing LoS that quickly looks bad), as well as illuminating walls within distance, but for now I'm happy with it.

Gonna start working on basic attacks (ranged and melee) as well as some basic skills now.

PUT THE SWORD AWAY

>It's been almost 3 years since that prototype so I would say its not good enough.

Has it really been that long?

>try and draw some kind of wands and staves concepts for wizard game
>realize I can't draw

sorry I meant 2 years. I uploaded that prototype March 2016.

its the tutorial level, I'm just skipping all the sign posts that explain the buttons. I actually plan to make the later levels really difficult.

thanks

Went from my cozy job to something new that pays better but 2 of my coworkers ended up in hospital and now I have to pull 12 hour shifts every single day. I literally just sleep, eat and work.

Well I did manage to finish the Raven Set but damn it's hard to do anything meaningful like melee-combat mechanics.

To
>Why do enemies pop in suddenly instead of being partially revealed as you get closer? Are you only casting to the center of them to determine visibility?

What would you consider "partially revealing"? Like them being slightly transparent, or the capsule being revealed as the light uncovers them bit by bit? I used to have that second method but looking at other MOBAs they all use the immediate pop in, which may not look as good but provides more information.

>pump.gif

I've never programmed anything in my life. Is this general for me?

Well life takes priority. You just gotta trudge on through until your coworkers get better.

>I actually plan to make the later levels really difficult.
I see. well, then this actually could be pretty fun the way it looks so far.

Judging by the cut-off HUD elements I'm guessing you cropped this video down? It does look a tad claustrophobic.

added slopes, jump-through crouch-through platforms and a poorly coded boat

Post your devtops, devbros.

>And would you(programmers) work with ideaguys who do nothing else but that if their ideas were actually good enough to be tested, tried, and eventually implemented in hypothetical games?
I actually did, once. He graduated from a game design college, but didn't really come out with tangible skills. A bit of art, a bit of music, but mostly game design. We did a space jam game together, then I offered to do all the programming for one of his other ideas. We spent about a month on it then dropped it.

As to the rest of your post:
The difference between an ideaguy and a designer is, a designer can back up all their ideas with tangible mechanics. Big games do have people whose role is just game design. Sometimes, those people have no other skills besides design, so they might get called ideaguys. But a good designer can back up their ideas with concrete mechanics.

And in some rare cases, there are people who really are classic ideaguys: all ideas and even the exact mechanics are handled by someone else, Kojima or Lucas might fall into that category. Usually they earned that role by doing something useful on their way to the top.

The backlash against ideaguys here is twofold. One, everyone has ideas, but almost no one can back them up with actual design. And artists and programmers mostly want to work on their own ideas and not some random guy's. The second reason is, on a small team everyone needs to pull their weight. Even if the ideaguy is a fucking world class ideaguy, design on a small game isn't a full-time job. There is just so much other work that needs to be done.

Hope that helps.

I'd prefer you post progress.

This looks great, GMS right?
Is anyone making ANY good looking game on Godot these days?
Why not?

Is Quixel a good program? Can it work as an alternative to Substance, or is it more practical to use with Substance?

Godot feels really elegant and I love learning the engine but making stuff always feels tedious. Is all game dev just really tedious or is it just Godot?

I use Godot so I don't make any progress.

>would you(programmers)
That's the thing about most indie devs, they have to have multiple talents, because most indie devs either work alone or with tiny teams. So the concept of an idea guy is completely nonexistent for indie dev. The devs themselves are the ones coming up with the ideas, it's their game after all, they don't need to answer to investors or corporate politics.

And the idea guys you're talking about are game designers. They don't just come up with an idea, they design the systems and how they should fit within the game. They may not need programming experience but they should know the structure of the game.

Ah, so this is for a MOBA, I guess that makes more sense then. Still, it looks like you're only raycasting towards the center of the target to determine visibility. If you have a particularly large or odd-shaped character (like a boss or objective), they might not render in a large number of cases.

Perhaps consider making it so if any portion of their collision box is in the visibility polygon, then they're fully visible (or become less transparent as they get closer if you want to be fancy).

Waiting for Godot 3.0.

The more money their patreon gets, the faster it will release:

patreon.com/godotengine

even learning what constitutes a "good idea" is difficult as hell. it takes practical knowledge. id say its impossible to have a good idea without practical knowledge. because a good idea cant just be "cool". everybody has their big MMO idea where you can do anything and be anything. it has to operate within the context of the game, and within the context of the available resources.

1) so to answer your specific question, the idea is bashed so much because experience-less people (ideaguys) are not a part of gamedev, at any level. just because youre not doing concrete work, does not mean you dont have concrete experience.

2) no, i would never consider working with someone who could only contribute ideas. making indie/hobby games is such a lean operation. there is no room for a guy just giving ideas. ideas aren't the bottle neck. code and assets are the bottle neck.

fuck off

thanks! its gms 1.4

t. buttangry 2d dev

>Tfw even you have more patreon money then gogem

What is your obsession with making Godot look bad?
Do you really have this much buyers remorse with Game Maker that you'll spend days falseflagging and shitposting about Godot?

I know you're excited about your 2 patrons but please don't be obnoxious about it

It's Godot.
On the surface, just dinking around, it seems great until you realize anything larger than Pong is going to be a huge ugly time consuming mess.
In GMS I just tell a sprite I want it to have this action and jump, a simple drag and drop.
In Godot I have to code the jump height, put a limiter on it so you don't keep being able to jump, code gravity, and friction.

It's a terrible engine for anything deeper than an asteroids clone.

So... I see you created a character with 2 million polys.
And what's this? You already finished building an Elder Scrolls style world?

So you're good at art... but what do you know about computers?

what am i looking at here?

Do NOT download or use Godot. Unity is the only way to make a game.

I am a computer

Godot 3 is looking actually worse for 2D dev than before, so no thanks.

>They're low res because I'm trying to look like a PS1/N64 game.
Yes exactly.
Stop with that.
Nobody wants that.
I'm sure it's easier and nostalgic, but when the main selling point of your games is graphics, you can't do that.
If you are just making the game for yourself and yadda yadda though, sure, keep going.

looking forward to working on your game when you have more time, then once you have the time, realizing you don't feel like working on it

>In Godot I have to code the jump height, put a limiter on it so you don't keep being able to jump, code gravity, and friction.
Whoa, it's like you actually have to make your game instead of letting the engine do all the work for you!

This is obviously a completely bullshit argument.

Only reply to me with serious posts please.

>be upset because the engine wont code the gameplay for me
I know it's bait, but you got me.

Nobody gives a shit about your shitty 2D trash. Godot 2.1 does a great job at that anyway.

Godot 3.0 is for 3D, which is all that really matters for non-plebs.

>but when the main selling point of your games is graphics
Who ever said that was the main selling point? The selling point is a fun side scroller with a PS1/N64 aesthetic. If you're not interested in that then the game isn't for you and thats ok.

Why do you say that?
I've been using Godot 3.0 master builds for the past few weeks and it's basically exactly the same for 2D as it was in 2.1

I'm a computery guy.

Then what is the point of using an engine?

Godot is trash.

a zoomed out passive skill tree

If you need any further proof that Godot is complete shit just go to their official sites "showcase" and prepare to laugh your ass off.

>the little boy doesn't understand how games are made
how cute

stop picking on Godot

passive aggressive skill tree

If any part of the collider is hit with the "vision circle" it appears. It's only because of the camera angle that it looks off. I dicked around earlier trying to make it better but got distracted. Pic related. I plan on tweaking it later on, once I get more of a handle on how I want everything to look.

Gamemaker turns you into a codemonkey.
Godot turns you into a programmer.

why not

is it generally considered impractical for 1mas to make 3d games?

>The selling point is a fun side scroller with a PS1/N64 aesthetic
Rip.

are you a maybedev?

It just depends on your skills and the scope you're looking to achieve my man. There's always 3D games every Demo Day.

Yes, but that's on the broadest spectrum, you can still make lowpoly untextured poorly animated stuff like Minecraft tier graphics, or voxels.

wyg?

Oh, okay. I figured that wasn't the case, but it looks like I was wrong.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you doing your 'vision circle'? Are you figuring out a larger visibility polygon and then taking the intersection of your desired circle? I was hoping to do this for an old project of mine, but shaders always scare me off.

>salty idiot can't handle being outdone by literally everyone

try a free version of an engine that interests you, watch vid tuts or read if you aren't a brainlet.
Write your ideas down.
don't be afraid

I too am waiting to participate in Shirogane Housing (Savage) on Tuesday

Is he correct?

youtube.com/watch?v=uSDVA5CQBu8

Godot is like this beautiful neat engine that has everything you want.
Except documentation
and assets
and tutorials
and games
and anything else that makes an engine useful.

It's like a way better version of gugum's videos.

It's mostly [spoilers]from a tutorial[/spoilers] that I then tweaked for what I need. It starts by going around in a circle and casting to see if it hits an object mask. Some fancy math later and it can find the 'edge' of the object by stepping through angles and builds a mesh on that. Otherwise it continues building the circle.

>and assets
It's like you're a complete idiot who can't make his own assets.