/rpgmg/ RPG Maker General #229

Answer to OP if you have links or modifications and pray someone sees them, also tell me if I should stop making the threads.

Previous Thread: Death Score: 114

>Trending
RPG Maker Bundle: humblebundle.com/software/rpg-maker-software
Indie Game Maker Contest 2017 (RPG Maker Jam): itch.io/jam/igmc2017

>/rpgmg/ Wikia
rpgmg-games.wikia.com/wiki//rpgmg/_Games_Wikia
>Art Resources & DLC Pastebin
pastebin.com/2bJ8wBsz
>[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
>[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

>RPG Maker MV 1.4 Repack
mega.nz/#!CgESnSzb!ZBeyWAWbLE5qQOsKAe3Y5WU5BFC0BQXtfBJOoiWiWsg
>RPG Maker MV Season 4 Pass
www21.zippyshare.com/v/Bdru8nJg/file.html

>RPG Maker MV 1.5.0 Crack by Anonymous
a.pomf.space/jnmejslvrdrn.7z (Win10) PW: 184902742
a.pomf.space/bowkgurjmpah.7z (Win7) PW: 186045660
Acquire the installer from official RPGM forums.

>The /rpgmg/ podcast (hiatus until October)
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

>Useful Art Tutorials & Guides
youtube.com/user/Shineyoctopus/videos
finalbossblues.com/pixel-tutorials/

>Recent thread projects
Stargem Castle: mediafire.com/file/n32ssapqaa5jr95/Stargem Castle.7z
Tempus Ex Machina Demo: mediafire.com/folder/z69y7undwpp9s/Tempus Ex Machina
/rpgmg/ Collab Project | Ch5 in progress: mediafire.com/file/ckfve2l1n6skby6/CollabProj-4.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

vexedenigma.itch.io/
soundcloud.com/user-380400385/sophias-theme-redux/s-36ye0
soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/taste-of-your-own-meds-boss-battle
musictheory.net
youtube.com/user/ongakuconcept/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=da
youtube.com/watch?v=y688upqmRXo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

let's try to die in the single digits this time!

only thing i did this weekend:
applied proper looping for one of my bgms

Why are these threads so dead?

Because the sissys and faggots went circle-jerking on Discord

Disowning the SOURCE OF THEIR BLOOD

INFAMY, MISBELIEVERS

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

Well fuck, that sucks.

OH MY GOD HE SOUNDS JUST LIKE THEM

GET HIM

So what's everyone up to this morning?

Ordering my ingredients to try a week balanced menu, and doing shitty art for the JAM

THE JAM

What's the JAM?

Check OP bruh

Is all the resources available in the OP or is there a site you go to snag priced resources at without paying for it? I'm broke and I wanna get more from this one artist to keep the same art style.

RIP this thread I guess?

My game's development has come to a screeching halt because I can't decide how I want my world map to be designed. FeelsBadMan

What are you having trouble deciding about with that?

In a way, Distorted Travesty 3 was a bad idea. Because I've been stuck on that game for so long I haven't playtested any rpgm games for months.

Left Building or Right Building?

you have to go searching and picking for your specific wants. The vast majority is free, because who wants to pay for a fucking skeleton sprite or some shit when there's so many free ones, but if you want a cohesive, related package with a single art style then you're looking at commissioning someone with money or sexual favors.

Not me. I have a 'for sure' 21 maps that fill out a crater/valley map that interlock; a 9x9 square of maps, with three maps each on the outside edges of this to fill out the round-ness of it. Plus towns/castles

i know the artist who makes the stuff that i want but i just cant find it uploaded online anywhere and i just dont have the money to pay for pixels right now, if i had more money i probably would as its all on sale throughout october but right now im fucking skint mate

then name the artist and package if you have any expectation of an informative response.

Not a criticism of you, but a big problem with this general and everyone who posts in it is that you're so stingy with details/information as if someone is going to swoop in and make your game right out from under you and rob you of your fame and riches. Just be detailed when you post, geez. We're not Steve Jobses with personal Bill Gateses looking to rob us of our one good idea in life. Post things!

Yeah sorry mate my bad, I feel bad begging for someone to do the job for me and I dont want to come off as someone whos asking to let someone else buy the stuff for me, hence why I wanted to know if there was some website people shared bought tilesets and whatnot.
The artist is vexedenigma.itch.io/ I asked in the last thread too but no response. I guess i'll have to just suck it up and wait for more cash to roll in before I buy it.

It's worth reposting questions that go unanswered, a lot of us are on very different schedules or timezones and it's a free bump for more exposure.

Haven't seen many modern tiles with a horror theme but $20 for a chunk of it, half off this month only, just the art and not a game? This is maximum jewery at work here. If I see something similar I'll post it

The thing is though that a big part of this guys work is posted in a pastebin in the OP, and he also has done plenty of "freebies" on the rpgmaker forums alongside another guy who did a few edits for his tilesets aswell to give more stuff. I only found the stuff on his website just yesterday and I want to continue using his art cuz it just looks great in my opinion but you are right though, this is maximum jewery when I think about it.

>It's worth reposting questions that go unanswered...

Shit, really? I hope you don't mind me posting my music again. Never got any comments on this changed version.

soundcloud.com/user-380400385/sophias-theme-redux/s-36ye0

A bump.

Sort of bump

>soundcloud.com/user-380400385/sophias-theme-redux/s-36ye0

not a music nerd so don't take it too seriously

flute & piano sounds good for a rustic, country village feel in a JRPG's starting village. It sounds best form the first 20-30 seconds, which might be the only part people hear if they're ducking in and out of buildings or transitioning maps quickly. after about the 45 second mark the two instrumentals sort of lose their harmony with each other and sort of go in different directions? It's not bad, but it sort of changes tone and I'm not sure if that's what you intend or not. You might need to do some editing to make it loop, if that's your intention, since it has a clear start and finish too.

It's pleasant, but gets a little sadder/gives up towards the back end. Hopefully it fits in your game the way you want. A third instrument may not be a bad addition to it, coming in late and then exiting early?

can't blame him I guess, if all you can do is art and can't figure out scripts and shit I guess you could eke out a few shekels on itchy - oh, peddling assets to the 10k viewers of various tutorial vids on youtube looking to try their first gaem. All the money is in commissions from serious project leads, kikestarters and finished games though, not this piece-mail route.

Agreed but either way, with all his assets available put together I bet you can make a sweet looking game with nice variety to it all while sticking to one art style.

left building

left

Thanks man, I understand what your saying and you make some really good points. I'm still working on it, so things like looping will obviously go in later as the project moves along.

You are right about the changing tone and I hear it now. I think I was trying to give it contrast but it may have gone to far in the other direction. It is for when the character is in her room, where the player will spend time there with cutscenes and dialogue, so I wouldn't exactly call it "ducking out." Anyway, thank you again.

Do you think a third instrument like a viola or cello would work for keeping the tone of the middle section? I know you're not a music nerd, but I think I'm more talking to myself at this point.

I'm going to be the contrarian here and say right.

Either would work, though.

I think work, but maybe the right could be used for important buildings while the left is for background buildings.

bump

I wanna bump too!

just let the thread die. put us out of our misery

Should we resurrect him after, or let him in peace.

We could take our battle to the Discord?

YOU WILL NOT GET ME

I WILL NEVER LEAVE

FITE ME

Starmen.

Can you date them?

I want Chef Starman to make me a fancy candlelight dinner.

why

how learn music theory

I would first suggest to learn with heart.

But if it goes nowhere, just try to mimic a popular pop song, or look "how to make a pop song".

You'll learn a basic structure, and a powerful one.

Download music theory classes as Torrents. Watch music theory videos in youtube. Then steal music from other indie devs.

Learn enough fundamental/core stuff to understand what this means:
IV > V > iii > vi
You'll instantly make anime/JRPG sounding music with it, since it's Japan's favorite chord progression. :)

there are too many yt videos out there. Ongaku Concept has good stuff.

i know music by heart. ive written music for years but none of it is technically impressive. i want to learn an actual fundamental of music theory

like when people are all like "oh yeah that song in c sharp minor sus 7 + 15 sure is great with its I VII VI III XIV progression pattern and its flaganio modal shift scale"

cadences and how you lead up to them are basically everything when it comes to writing "good" music.

link to your most "normal" sounding song?

>Download music theory classes as Torrents.
ill see what i can find

>there are too many yt videos out there. Ongaku Concept has good stuff.
will check it out thanks user

>link to your most "normal" sounding song?
im not sure what that means

just something that sounds like a generic song. i don't want to hear your take on some
avant garde, progressive modal song
minimal, tone-setting brooding song.
complex 7/8 lydian fuckism

just a regular (cute?) song

Find scores to classical music and start analyzing them after learning basic roman numeral analysis. Obviously you want to start with simpler pieces like those by Classical composers like Clementi or Schubert,

Go learn solfège then

New Song!

soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/taste-of-your-own-meds-boss-battle

Tell me what ya think

It's catchy, but sometimes I feel like triplets are awkward sounding when the are part of the melody. They work fine with the background rhythm though.

Thanks for the advice. I got the idea for the melody in my head earlier today and it sounded fine, but I suppose it always takes an outsider's view.

I love your boss themes. It legitimately sounds like a song fighting against a parody of itself, which is a cool effect.

Thank you! I just realized it totally does. Maybe I'll incorporate that into the moments in the game when the song plays!

I never said it was bad, that's just my impression. If you're happy with it and everyone likes it, don't be afraid to keep it as it is.

Sorry for being dumb about this, I snagged a VX Ace RTP100 from one of the previous threads, and its ReadMe says to install it before installing VX Axe proper. I was about to get the steam download of VX Ace, will that RTP still be compatible with it? Are there any other packages or resources that need to be installed before VX Ace proper that I should know about?

Thinking about starting the next music piece for my game, should I work on a battle theme, city theme, or dungeon theme?

If you're planning to post it here, I vote city theme. I love good battle themes as much as anyone, but I see those a lot more often.

battle theme, those always sound fun

Fuck, well I can always give both those a swing and see what happens. I probably won't have anything ready until next week.

Also, I'm this guy so don't expect anything amazing.

Night bump for me you fucks

Here's my bump before I'm off for the night.

While we're on the subject of music, how would I start learning? Are there any programs or guides you'd recommend for absolute beginners?

I downloaded something and messed around with it a few years ago, but I'm completely music-illiterate, so I couldn't figure out how to start making something that even sounded like music. That's the extent of my experience.

musictheory.net

I remember this site being good when I was still in undergrad about 6 or so years ago. Maybe it would be worth your time to go through and learn?

youtube.com/user/ongakuconcept/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=da

there are lots of places that'll talk to you about the most fundamental/basic stuff. keys, scales, chords, intervals, blahblah.

Well I hate to sound unhelpful, but the fastest way is to pick a tool/instrument and mess around with it until you produce a result that is good for you. Listening to your favorite songs and thinking about what makes them sound good will guide you on your own practices. I'm not saying to outright plagiarize, but if you're still new at something (anything really), you'll need some sort of foundation to base yourself on.

How is it possible to make a skull look feminine?

Is it some custom RTP? If not, it comes with VX Ace. RTPs are for people who don't own or haven't installed the program but are trying to play the games.
I haven't heard of anything that needs to be installed before or after RPG Maker as an add-on.

>I haven't heard of anything that needs to be installed before or after RPG Maker as an add-on.
Same here. I don't know what that RTP100 is, but it should be fine to go ahead and install VX Ace.

Worst case, you just have to uninstall it and do things again, but it will probably be fine. The base program is all you need to start making games.

Is it possible to have an enemy summon reinforcements without needing a script? Using MV.

A simple system you can do is by adding hidden enemies to the monster group, and then creating a skill which uses a common event to show the hidden enemies, and you use conditionals to prevent the skill from revealing the same enemy twice.

Thanks, good to know

Since grinding is often unfun, yet natural to JRPGs, should there be mechanics to discourage grinding or encourage players to face enemies underleveled?

I don't see a need for either, exactly. If a player finds grinding unfun, they'll probably keep it to a minimum as they play, assuming the difficulty allows.

I hope to balance my game so that stat gains are small enough that grinding won't make a huge difference unless you go overboard, but big enough that they won't feel insignificant. Maybe I'll use a scaling experience system like Paper Mario or Fire Emblem too. I guess that would discourage grinding, but more importantly, it helps keep the player around the expected level and encourages them to keep moving.

If you're worried about balance, you could also include a system like The World Ends With You. I think that game let you lower your level to increase drop rates; it can be fun to have the option to make the game harder in exchange for benefits, so you have incentive to adjust the difficulty to your liking.

>page 10

yeah, I like the difficulty manipulation for drop rates, but I imagine that's hard to implement.

good night bump

bumpp

"Your friends can't post here anymore."

How do you all feel about conditional drops? Freezing an enemy to get chunks of frozen blood, binding their arms for a fresh set of pincers, etc?

What methods do you use to hint at them, and how do you keep them easy to remember?

You must find your way on your own now.

COMEON, I actually put a prompt this time!

youtube.com/watch?v=y688upqmRXo

really nobody here, huh?

I'm making assets for my IGMC project

I mean, I just woke up

Someone help me out here. I'm trying to figure out how to get Time Fantasy animated sprites to work. Rather, an extra one I picked up from his Jason's site. This blacksmith one. If I go the normal route and just make sure that stepping is clicked, the sprite is just a still image of smith moving side to side.

Sounds like something you should ask Cash Sample Dev

I've no idea who that is. I only recently picked up RPGMaker again, thought I'd try again since now I've got the Time Fantasy tiles that I wanted. That someone on Discord channel? Is that even still alive? I think I left it a while back.

I think he is the guy who makes these threads if you look at the post names/

Well, hopefully they'll poke their head in and see my question.

Only time will tell

Right. The question. The question you didn't ask.

I think he was asking for this.