> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCNaPQ5uLX5iIEHUCLmfAgKg/playlists
twitter.com/UnknownWorldDev
github.com/sschmid/Entitas-CSharp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Singletons are fine if you aren't a pajeet that misuses everything.

>next demo day
jesus christ i didnt even played the last ones

If you're going to use a global just use a global, don't dress it up as a singleton.

Anyone got a link to this cutesy 2d vampire game? i forgot how its called but i remember it was sort of like 16 bit

oh yeah, i should've included the link to that i guess

Reposting:

Thanks for the SDL/SFML suggestions to that one user.

>#demoday
>acidently click on it
>leads me to fucking tweeter

What a fuck?

stfu Kojima, nobody cares about your shitty taste in music

>*sues you*
>*halts your progress*
>*repossesses your mom's house*

Heh, nice try kiddo. Maybe next time you'll use an LLC!

How hard is it to code a spellcheck in a text based game? Say the user typos and input that's one or two characters off from the correct input.

I make music but have no music theory foundation so often my music doesn't sound very good.

Do any musicbros here have any advice on building a music theory foundation without formal training?

>Text based game with spellchecker
>Make the game show, correct, and keep track of each misspelled word.
>Sometimes the game puts you under time pressure to type fast
>Gives you a bad ending if you get more then 10-15 typos
>Get a secret A+ ending if you make a mistake zero times
>Game journalists call your game "The Dark Souls of Text-Adventure games"

There's a free million dollar idea for you.

I know nothing about programming etc.
What are some good Godot tutorials i should watch to at least somewhat get the hang of it

Learn what scales are, forget about notes and start thinking in scale degrees, learn what cords are, learn to chord progression
That would be enough

youtube.com/channel/UCNaPQ5uLX5iIEHUCLmfAgKg/playlists

>tfw you have chronic pain, no gf and no job
>dev is your last hope in this world
if I don't make it I'll kill myself

Get ue4 and learn blueprints

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Unknown World
Dev: dewdneym
Tools: RPG Maker VX Ace, Paint.net
Web: dewdneym.tumblr.com, twitter.com/UnknownWorldDev
October: spooky
Progress:
+ (mostly) completed sidequest I put on the backburner. Can't do the dance cutscene until music is made for it.
+ created some new enemy sprites
= Halfway finished with promo art
- not working hard enough

I know the basics of scales and chords from my old music classes during school and from years of playing guitar. chord progression is something that i dont understand though. is that where i should start?

blueprints are just a format, not a solution to not knowing how to code

Not sure if you're joking or not

fuck off shill

If you know the basics then yeah, look up how chord progressions work.

What should i start with, also thanks in advance

101 then Space Rocks is what I used to learn, there's also GDquest for intermediate stuff and the official discord has a tutorials channel.

Typing of the dead 2: scifi boogaloo when?

Added thrusters. Feels good to just fly around now.

Working on a basic modding capability for my game. Finished up adding the support for reading various json files, just need to finish up with loading assets such as FBX files and textures and meld them together.
No tool for it, just a basic convention/guideline on where to place the files and how to describe them. Want to create a system that allows me to create the game with that, so that the user is able to modify as much as possible in the game.

Ue 4 is for chads, godot is for virgins. Where does Unity fit in?

cucks

Progress! Just a little bit.
I wasted some time doing portraits for the player character and implementing them in-game. Also now when you get hurt, a little dialogue pops up too.

Are you going to add inertia dampeners as well?

Inertia dampeners? When you're decellerating, the thrusters fire in the opposite direction of your velocity to slow you down. It's all graphical and doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest.

> UE4 is for people who will get so bogged down by looks, they will accomplish nothing with their project
> Godot is pretentious and broken, that yo uwill never accomplish anything with it, but whine that it's because you use Godot.
> Unity is varied. You might get stuck on one thing, you might lack in another, but there's a chance you will finish a normal game and be done with it

So Unity is just for regular folk from various walks of life.

SUCK
IT

Left Building or Right Building guys

left

How well does GM handle big rooms ?

left

Give it a proper repeating pattern

very well. I use GM in a very wide living room and haven't had any problems yet

What's the best engine for true ECS? Godot apparently will never officially support it. Unity seems to be migrating towards it with their "C# jobs" system.

Your ship has no weight, looks really silly with the thrusters.

wait, what do you mean, Unity seems to be migrating towards it? I thought Unity always used ECS?

By "weight", what exactly are you describing?

ECS is just another bad programming practice meme. And you fell for it.

Cheers for the quick answer man, I wasn't sure if I should split up my stages more or if it will be fine.

ECS is fundamentally just good procedural code. The dynamic stuff people add on top isn't necessary.

Even in success, I have failed

No not really, it's actually very effective for performance optimization purposes and scaling.

Unity still couples methods with data.

entirely depends on what you have in the rooms and how efficient your code is. test on low end PCs and you'll get your answer.

Yes but are there any engines that try to maximize locality of similar data types that undergo the same operations for performance and such? For example the C# jobs system in Unity allocates all transform positions together in a single array for fast access. Godot's node architecture doesn't seem to mesh well with that. In fact Godot seems to be the most OOP heavy of the bunch.

Not that I know of but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do yourself. You'd need to use C# or C++, though, for value types and contiguous arrays.

Yeah I had a feeling this would be the route. Alright, time to get tinkering. Thanks

why would ue4 be the one for people getting bogged down by looks? Most of the stuff you need days to implement in other engines is already integrated in ue4 and most works fine by itself
It's harder to avoid having good reflections and dynamic lighting etc

if you use Unity you should check this out github.com/sschmid/Entitas-CSharp

game sucks, if you don't spend like 2/3 of your trust on memory you get stuck in a long ass grind to get anywhere

pick one

>Save and load anywhere, any time
>Automatically save every x minutes/every time you complete an objective, no manual saving
>Limited saves like in Hitman
>Saves anywhere, but with a hardcore no saves option

I like save points.

forgot one
>Save in safe rooms only

Only have the save available at predetermined points, but be able to load anytime.

every time you complete an objective, no manual saving

Every time you load, your character's abilities degrade slightly

How do you make a turn based or delayed-action 2d game interesting, fun, or tactical?

What do y'all use to post code snippets on tumblr? pre tags and some JS?

or add manual saving in safe rooms depending on how your game is designed

fire emblem + shin megami tensei

Record continously, allow rolling back to any point at any time

this, and allow branch and merge

>you have to complete a minigame to save

Give units unique abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Like with chess, each piece moves in a unique way, and there's different amounts of each piece. This gives each piece a different tactical use.

or you know, just either one of them

i think maybe something wrong

nah it alright

allow rolling back, but you have to do a minigame where you roll back a tape manually

What do you mean?

He's probably talking about the way the windows are arranged

it depends on the game honestly.

that's not how windows work

Interesting abilities and enemies strong enough to require them. Etrian Odyssey games nail it even though it looks like a standard JRPG combat system on the surface.

Enabling savescumming is always bad, I often have to force myself to not use quicksaves and make up my own saving rules because the dev is too lazy to make his own.

What about this

I agree that savescumming isn't a good thing, but it is also a blanket cover in case the dev makes a mistake and completely fucks the balance or fairness in a game.

Take the Witcher 2 for example. The only way to use potions and oils was to do it during meditation (you had to actively prepare). Since fights would sometimes come out of nowhere, it would encourage quicksaving every 10 steps so that you could load it and properly prepare.

Also games that rely on a lot of RNG tend to benefit from savescumming. I'm playing through Divinity Original Sin EE and sometimes you just get a really bad roll of the dice that fucks you over. Without quicksaving it would be a nightmare having to redo large portions of the game.

>tl;dr savescumming encourages bad habits but is necessary to cover up design flaws or games heavy in rng

looks like frank's adventure desu

Window as tall as a door ? Looks odd.

Post UE4 game

100,000 years in paint

Reminds me of early internet flash games.

Are you a wizard

Nice detail

He's probably referring to how you're always perfectly centered on the screen or something

But what about when you run out of health
Will he scream your name

cool calculator you have there

Okey what about this