/mcg/ - Minecraft General - Fellow Miners Edition

Previous thread →

► 1. WELCOME

We discuss Minecraft, modpacks, projects, building ideas, etc...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

[ ! ] For 1.10+ Use foamfix and Optifine with terrain animated turned off

► 2. NEWS

>[24 sep 2017] Noodlor's World-o-Walls (redux version) is completed! Including a world-download (1.12).
imgur.com/a/dQmq1

Twilight Forest is out for 1.12

► 3. USEFUL LINKS

>/mcg/ General text (use it to contribute news and info for the next thread!)
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-op

>Modding Tools & documentation
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-modfaq
mcforge.readthedocs.io
github.com/TOLoneWolf/curseDownloader

>Server list (own a server? Please move to the new Serblist.com)
serblist.com
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0Nywo6sZcexcYb46hTOfAwElaeUlPoCC4DKRFcMWYQ (Old)

>Ideas & Inspiration
mcnoodlor.imgur.com/
elworrier.imgur.com/
imgur.com/a/JPif9

>Castlefag's map
mega.nz/#!h3hi0TQR!areDzeQYr6RACXyDX-HE49BEIePIHze3liNoXg6Dhqg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QXay1pdfQpI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>get home
>thread got archived
>no one bothered to make a new one for almost 5 hours
It didn't have to end like this...

Why is mcg so slow nowadays? I remember people trying to get first posts few months ago. Do people quit because of meme versions?

because nothing has happened for years, much less months
everything is ded

Alright /mcg/ I'm going to try and generate some discussion here:

>lurked /mcg/ for months
>vanillafag
>fucked around with mods before, but have no real clue which ones are worth having and which are meme versions

So, /mcg/, post your must-have mods! Anything and everything that's truly worth installing, along with your personal favorite "if I had to pick one" mod

Has modding stagnated?

Performance mods
>optifine (all versions)
>fastcraft (1.7.10)
>foamfix (meme versions)

Necessary gameplay mods
>Not Enough Items + Codechickencore (everything under 1.8.9)
>Just Enough Items + Not Enough Items (became a JEI addon) (meme versions)
>minetweaker, modtweaker (lets you modify a bunch of shit including NBT data, recipes, etc. Necessary for balancing your own shit, debloating UIs, and making it so you don't have to fucking farm fucking ender pearls fuck)

Interesting shit
>techguns (makes combat actually good by making it kinda doomy)
>opencomputers/computercraft (lua programmable computers, opencomputers interfaces with more shit but is more annoying to craft, and computercraft is the inverse)
>witchery (massive magic mod, proper pagan/druidic stuff)

There's also stuff like thaumcraft, immersive engineering, logistics pipes, industrialcraft2, and many others.
Use multimc as your launcher and try a premade pack from somewhere before making your own.
Multimc's dev branch (in the settings( can download modpacks right from curse if you feed it the zip you get from curseforge.

What kind of stuff do you like user?
Trains? Tech mods? Magic? Adventure?

How do I play online with a friend of mine with these mods?

Alright geniuses, I'm learning redstone. Any ideas how to make this design more compact?

Just wanted something that brings back a minecart if there's no one in it. It's just a simple NOT gate changing the T-junction's direction, but I'm sure it can be more compact. Any ideas?

Put the inverting torch on the block that the tripwire is on.
What's with the gap on rails to the left though?

Seems so obvious now, lol. Thanks, this is a lot more compact. I guess I accidentally broke that rail while I was messing around.

download the forge server .jar of whatever version then set it up and it will generate a similar filestructure to a client instance.
copy paste the configs and mods then start the serb, open ports, etc. and then join
I think, at least.

Alternatively if you can't handle running serb, use something like a vpn to allow LAN to happen even if you're not on the same physical network.

Deadest general.

Why dontcha post some mineycrafta then?
Go grab a random old screenshot and post it.

not even close, mmog is dead and it was made as a collection of dead mmo generals

that's only because /gw2g/ killed it because they thought it would be funny

use a detector rail instead of a tripwire hook

But then it would activate on every cart, empty or not.

ah, sorry, i missed the part where you said it checked for someone in the minecart

>minetweaker
Holy shit, this is exactly what I wanted.

>rotten flesh useless
>always wanted to be able to turn it into leather
>some mods come close, but are either too bloated (turn the rotten flesh into non-rotten flesh first!) or too easy (1:1 ratio of flesh to leather)
>finally able to easily add custom rotten flesh conversion recipe (9 flesh for 1 leather)

But I tunneled so hard on the leather that I forgot all about the other things I can do with this mod.

>can add mossy stone recipes to 1.7.10
>can add cracked stone recipes to 1.7.10
>can add wool to string recipes
>can add cobweb recipes

Any ideas for other vanilla recipes to add?

Rotten flesh to leather is one of the most common ones, people usually do it by cooking it rather than crafting it.
Additional dying recipes (8 of any colored block + dye and 1 of any colored block + dye) is something I always do, and it's easy because MT supports oredictionary stuff so you can just do one recipe for each type of thing. If you have chisel, which adds an assload of decorative blocks + variants and a tool to switch between variants you can even just add stuff to custom chisel groups.
Adding some kind of recipe for ender pearls (and emeralds if you don't want to set up custom oregen) is also great because mods use them all the damn time for some asinine reason.

It's mostly useful for managing bloat and stuff in mods and sorting out stuff that should work together but doesn't.
Modtweaker is an expansion on it that just adds more support.

can I use astral sorcery if I slap a crystal down in my base from creative? I wanna mess with the mod in my test world.

one of my must haves is open modular turrets, love setting up a big defensive base with a bunch of turrets.

Alright, so I have an ambition but am not sure about the logistics. Anyone think they can give me some pointers?

I remember there being a map based off of a topographical map of the world. The goal would be to edit this map with TFC assets to make it more realistic and playable in TFC. Put the right rocks in the right places, ores in the right regions, trees in the right places, freshwater and saltwater in the right places, have the climates make sense, throw in some rivers and such and just make it an enjoyable TFC experience with an IRL map to base it on.

I understand that there is a limit to these sorts of things. I assume it would be unrealistic to think that I could layer different types of stone and do anything too detailed. I just want to be able to go to he rust belt for some iron, maybe mine in Appalachia for some coal, head to Cali or Alaska for some gold, head to Arizona for some copper, pull some clay from the Mississippi, connect everything with a trans-continental railroad if I feel like expanding the mod list past TFC, and just enjoy the landscape and scale of it all.

America-centric example of the ideal, I know, but my awareness of European resource distribution is a bit limited. Not for lack of interest, just lack of knowledge.

So is it possible to make using a map editing software?
How difficult would it be?

possibly
MCEdit supports forge mods and stuff but I've never tried putting in the effort to make it work, it doesn't jest werk out of the box, you have to actually do stuff.

>making it so you don't have to fucking farm fucking ender pearls fuck)
MAWPC :^ )

>playing tfc
>panflute intensifies
jesus christ it's the only music, did he disable the vanilla music or something?

I assumed it would take some tweaking, but MCEdit seems to be a workable medium. Thank you user!

I figured it out guys

>backwards swastika
>microsoft
you're onto something, the next update is going to have a dedicated shitting button just like ark

youtube.com/watch?v=QXay1pdfQpI

Christ no wonder this place died quickly the last time I hosted it.

Why is it so hard to make myself set up a decent sorting and storage system using Logistics Pipes / ProjectRed? Why do I always just have a wall of disorganized chests until I can make a box of 4k+ Storage Cells, at which point I essentially have a bigass chest?

>discover 1499th unique item type
>configure a pipe for it
>discover 1500th unique item type
>configure a pipe for it
>discover 1501st unique item type
>configure a pipe for it

Opinions on mob farms?

I need to learn how to make one, I've never actually done so before

I've made some here and there.

I'm playing Modern Skyblock 2 and wish to expand my mob chamber, and I'm looking at water channels...

If we're talking about monster farms, my opinion is that they're a little OP, but I play pretty vanilla so it might be fair with mods that require more resources. Personally, I only build monster farms for spawners from dungeons or slimes.

Yeah. I'm essentially needing to kill creepers and other stuff a bunch so I can convert their drops into useful stuff, like dirt blocks I can grow grass on to eventually... And boy do I need a lot of mob drops I've realized.