/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Happy Hour Edition
Previous Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

fat kobold butts

but why is there still no update

You have only yourself to blame user.

where do you keep your livestock to prevent them from getting obliterated when there's an invasion?

underground since they eat moss like it's grass

For grazers, I build an enclosed room on the surface that's only accessible from below so nothing can get in there from outside my fortress. I usually put non-grazers in rooms near my farm / kitchen levels.

right in front of the main entrance. this way, they'll serve as a meatshield during werebeast attacks. during other attacks and sieges, you can just temporarily inactivate the pasture, and they will move inside to the meeting areas.

Winter has arrived, and so my last season as Overseer draws to a close. It is my hope that I have overall given my people a better, more secure fortress, and ultimately a more prosperous, comfortable place to live.
However, I shall endeavor to maintain my workload, and shall not take it easy even as my reign ends. The first order of business is to jump start the steel and metal industry, which will be our greatest defense against beasts and greenskins, not to mention the vile undead which lie not far.

For steel, we require iron, pig iron, coke and flux. We have a plentiful amount of all but the flux stone, so it is imperative that we mine as much of the marble as possible. Thankfully, the layer here seems to contain no shortage of the valuable stone, and as long as it endures we shall have our steel.

While some of our children have started to grow up (and be assigned as haulers and furnace operators to build arm strength and heat-tolerance), I order steel production to roar into overdrive. The legendary smiths shall take care of weapon production, that our blades may be as true as possible.
I also order the creation of a new squad of marksdwarves, armed with copper crossbows and caps, they shall be very useful if positioned properly, especially against the more dangerous forgotten beasts and titans. Many a fort has been brought down by the destructive pestilence of a dust-beast, and I hope that the squad shall provide some form of counter-fire.

A sudden crisis! It has been brought to my attention that a badger has invaded the fortress from the emergency invasion tunnel, which was supposed to be sealed with a bridge. The blasted lazy architect will answer for it heavily if dwarven lives are lost due to his incompetence!
Beads of sweat dotting my brow, I order all dwarves to stay away, and pray to the gods the beast turns back and leaves.

For now, the badger seems content to sniff at walls and mark its scent in the upper levels. I dare not send our military, for they have not yet been fully equipped in steel.
A lone marksdwarf trains at the archery range, while the blissfully unaware bards cavort and sing in the bar, much to the amusement of the tavern-goers. I pray we do not suffer long.

A stroke of divine luck! The badger wandered into the gaol cells, perhaps hoping to find a chained dwarf and thus tear them limb from limb. All it found however was a sturdy silver chain and a rough stone floor. In a feat of daring bravery, I myself personally rushed up behind it and slammed the stone door shut, promptly locking it securely shut!
The foul beast made no noise, apart to snuffle and scuffle at the gap between the floor and the door. Just the noise made my blood run cold, and I beat a hasty retreat in case it should tear through the stone with it's giant claws.
Although for now it is secure, I am afraid the next overseer shall have a worrisome burden delivered unto him buy my, and the bridge architect's, failure to properly seal the tunnel.

Also another forgotten beast has appeared in the caverns, making that two in total. A frog and a scorpion, perhaps one shall eat the other.

I don't know this Domas guy you're talking about but he sounds pretty cool

Blast, of all the moments for a dwarf to be possessed, this is very inconvenient! The wretch demands wood, which we have run out of, and can only acquire by advancing into the caverns.
I shall dig and prepare for the first foray, but leave the passage shut. My time draws to a close, and I shall leave this decision for my successor.

Pretty sure all forgotten beasts are allied with each other out of their mutual hatred for dwarves.
>Next overseer is gonna have to deal with two of them at once
wew. Guess those caverns are going to stay sealed in the foreseeable future.

Nah, they fight eachother.

As the dwarves bustle about, carrying out the last of my orders, I quietly retreat to my modest study in order to perform the final stocktaking.
First, a brief summary of the population.
>We are swamped with excellent miners, allowing us to perform deep and complex mining operations and excavations rapidly and effectively
>Our military is strong, flexible and moderately well equipped, and shall soon be armed and armoured in steel
>While we have been mostly fortunate, we have no hospital, nor medicinal dwarves, something the next overseer may have to look into
>We have a number of peasants who are training in various vocations, from mechanics to furnace operating to woodcutting
>Our more useful dwarves, such as trained masons, blacksmiths, and miners are no longer required to haul, and may leave that to the less occupied dwarves
>Although our brewers are skilled, they are unable to replenish our dwindling alcohol supply, and the farms are underproducing. We may need to forage for brewable plants, or find a water source soon.
>Our masons and stonecrafters are all excellent and well-trained

Our current metal industry is very much alive and kicking. We are wealthy in gold, although have yet to make much use of it, and are well on the way to having a large sum of steel with which to equip our dwarves.
I have also ordered the construction of bins from the lightweight aluminium, which shall bolster our current lack thereof. I suppose the copper can be used to mass-produce cheap bolts for our marksdwarves, or failing that, perhaps we could devise some sort of minecart trap, in which copper spiked balls come into play.

Anyone have any advice for getting a late-game fortress to run on its own without my input?

Unpause.

what do i do with a million fucking shells? doing an above ground fort and i'm flooded in them. is shell armor even worth it?

The final day looms, and I have managed to complete the stocktaking. The wealth of Meatclutch has almost doubled during my reign, going from 430,740¤ to 836,302¤.
The population has also grown, as when I arrived we numbered but 40. Now, there are 85 stalwart beards living in Meatclutch. While our stores of food are tremendous, we are severely lacking in alcohol, which shall be another issue for the next overseer to handle.

Our assets, in no particular order are:
>A dedicated core of well-trained labourer dwarves
>3 steel-wielding axelords that may lead our guard
>A giant leopard, siezed from the elves
>A fiery maw within we may toss prisoners
>A bountiful supply of steel
>A badger locked inside a gaol cell (DO NOT OPEN)
>A very useful volcano

Our weaknesses:
>Lacking severely in alcohol
>Poor efficiency in labour division (job manager may need updating)
>Two forgotten beasts in our, currently off-limits caverns
>Lacking in wood, from which only the caverns or merchants may be aquired
>No library where we may store our doujinshis
>Only one legendary weaponsmith?

The fortress is so large now that I have drawn two separate maps for the place. The first one, featuring the upper levels and entryway:

And the lower levels, where the craftsmanship, rest areas, and mausoleum lie.

And so, it is time. I gather my fancy belongings and the trappings of an overseer, and make my way down to the bedroom of my successor. Although my heart is heavy, and the year has been a worrisome one, I am nevertheless pleased with what I have wrought. I only hope that the next overseer shall be able to bring the fortress to even greater heights, and allow us to delve into an age of prosperity.
Thank you for having me, my good dwarves. It was an honour.

Is it just the most popular setting or do most swap-fortresses favor the volcano embark? Makes it more interesting? Convenience of magma?

Volcanoes are a popular spot, but not necessarily the most played setting for succession forts. In Boatmurdered's time they didn't even exist, and many others I've read were often in terrifying forests or haunted glaciers. But yeah, mostly the convenience of on-demand magma is hard to pass up.

So in the case of, say, a calm heavy forested biome, where would the magma be? Speaking for myself, since I can't seem to hit magma, and am trying to still understand z-levels in terms of where all the minerals are.

There's magma at the bottom of every embark in the magma sea, deep below the surface. However, sometimes you get lucky and can find shafts of magma bubbling up into the cavern layers, sometimes even into the first one. After that it's just a matter of transportation.

Neat, haven't fiddled with liquid transportation yet. Always worried my legendary miners would drown themselves or light themselves on fire nonchalantly.

You don't even need to transport the magma, just dig a channel and build the magma forge over it. Although you'll want to station a soldier there to deal with magma crabs, imps, etc.

If you build one of the forge/smelter's unpathable tiles over the channel you won't need to worry about this, and it makes more RP sense anyway.

Which of the nine tiles count as the unpathable tiles?

the ones that are dark green when you're placing it.

I'll give you the answer for one sucky sucky

Wait a second, how do I make a straight tunnel a hundred z-levels down to magma? Do I suicide a miner?

no

You don't, you dig standard stairs down to directly above the magma (above the warm stone), dig out a room, and channel a tile to get access to the magma below.

>building in adventure mode
>set down a barrel and fill it with the skins, bones, and skulls of my slain enemies, planning to make crafts
>build a floor on the same tile
>it fucking destroys the barrel and everything in it
AAAAAAAAAH

Wait, so I trap a miner underground and dig him a room to make iron bars for an eternity an a half?

...what? do you not understand how stairs work? you can travel up and down them

are you sure? Are you still in build mode?

I'm sure, I walked around the place after building was finished and everything was gone.

Oh, I've been using ramps to dig down. And now all of my militia has been slaughtered by goblins. I thought steel was supposed to be the best, or do people use traps to take care of large invasions instead?

I have been putting together a book of everything about life in the high middle ages, be it activities, demographics, kingdoms, economy, clothing, Catholicism, military, and all that kind of stuff.
I am at my 3rd draft at the moment. when I finish I think I will make a either a websight for the subject or a youtube channel.

need to make sure they have place to train. 10 legendary dwarfs with decent equipment can slaughter entire sieges thanks to martial trances

I had a barracks for them, but the most they did was do individual drills and spars every few months or so.

ENcrust everything in shell or just make shell crafts and sell them to elves.

That sounds really interesting.

Sure is.
The big problem is to know when to stop.
I put myself in a really dumb spot a few weeks ago, where I recorded every occupation that might of existed in the high middle ages by flipping through a dictionary as phase one. Phase two was to do research on every recorded job to see if it did exist. It is still not done and I am a "finish what you started" guy when it comes to historical research.

oh damn this is a game changer

good write-up beerchan

>dwarf therapist has nothing about the (r)elationships screen
i want to see family trees and shit wat do

Weren't you warned about stairs, bro?

submit a patch to the therapist maintainers?

just v-z-r or use legends viewer

I didnt think I'd ever get a reason to post this again

>use v-z-r
WOW never thought of that golly gee thanks user!

>dwarffortresswiki.org is down
and you laughed at me for suggesting a "searchable pdf" in the other thread
well whos laughing now

>dwarffortresswiki.org
>is literally not down

Found another weird glitch/bug: random lone, uninhabited goblin tower surrounded by trenches sandwiched between human hamlets.

huh, well its back up.
i tested it on isup.me before posting, and it said it was down for everyone

i swear it w

Upon investigating the hamlet, I noticed there was another tower, this one actually inside the hamlet's grounds. Also inside the hamlet I ran into a group of goblins. They aren't hostile, but they've surrounded me for some reason. Perhaps to intimidate me and signal I don't belong in this strange place...

I know if you muddy a floor you can get cave moss growing there, but how do I get rid of the mud colour so I can see the moss colour? I want the aesthetic.

The endestria project has slowed down to about 15fps. I can get it up to about 25fps with regular dfhack cleaning and dumping.

Currently looking into overclocking my cpu lol

>expedition leader created an artifact armadillo bone short sword

So.. is this useless or would it actually kill an armored goblin?

No, it wouldn't be able to penetrate leather. Apparently when we get the magical artifact overhaul artifact weapons of odd materials might be useful, but not now.

Behind the walls.

>every occupation that might have existed
>by flipping through a dictionary as phase one
I hope it was the OED or something similar, given how many words for medieval jobs aren't in common use anymore. It sounds like a massively inefficient way of doing things regardless. How long have you been working on this?

Issue it to the champion as a symbol of rank.

That's what I was afraid of... Maybe I'll just assign it to my Sheriff / Captain of the Guard so they won't hurt anyone when they dish out beatings.

its a ceremonial piece. for display purposes only.

could give it to your sheriff i guess. still probably won't kill dwarfs during a beating but can defend himself if he needs to. or just put it in a weapon trap

Not a bug, that northeast hamlet was taken by goblins. Treatylong was the same way with little towers scattered around.

for history in general 12 years, for high middle ages 5 years.
The dictionary thing actually has been giving me some good information, I have gotten words like borler, muleteer, falconer, fruiterer and similar things. As OED as I can get, I try to limit time spent on particular projects.
The Occupation research has been about 60 hours over the year.

Interesting, didn't know they could change the architecture.

>werewombat killed all of my war dogs and my carpenter

reeeeeeee

I caught the faggot in a cage trap once he turned back into a human, what should I do with the cunt?

rhesus macaque

dismemberment of extremities

>janitor with only Cleaning, Refuse hauling, and Burial
>vomit and blood everywhere
>"No Job"
>hangs out in the library
fuck
>make a burrow
>draw over top of dirty areas
>janitor is now on a cleaning spree
mfw

this, i recommend you put him in a trap room and attempt to cut off his arms & legs to immobilize him

>scholars visiting bring back books and scrolls they borrowed

also make sure to repeat this after every full moon when he transforms and heals.

>visiting scholars leave Elven biographies and steal diagnostic encyclopedias

well you're not entirely wrong...

>caravans are still selling the same handful of books about random hillocks and hamlets that they always have been

yeah, every dwarven caravan I get always has at least 10-20 copies of the same book, and no other books. pretty sad

cassowary

user likes ospreys for their fishing ability.

Is there a way to assume control of a creature I don't have LoS on?

is there a way to prevent dwarves from improving the same item over and over? in other words I want to improve only items that have not yet been improved, ie items that have 0 decorations already. is there a way to do that perhaps with stockpile settings?

ok ive kind of figured out a workaround, got a furniture stockpile and a gem stockpile (g)iving to a jewelers workshop, and a seperate stockpile that (t)akes from the jewelers workshop. that should probably do the trick.

Say, can anyone help me figure out how to replace the graphic of a specific object in the game for something I drew? I know I'm supposed to add entries to the override txt, but I'm lost as to what I need to replace ":3:96::" for, and where I should save the graphic tile I drew.

I'm trying to swap out the UD Stairs from Phoebus (which is an X like the bins) for something separate.

bumping with sneaky elves.

if that elf on the left is female i would FUCK her

I love your drawing style man.
Its canon she is, I vaguely remember the artist using her on adventure mode and pic was her participating in a siege.

I'm genuinely looking forward for grown weapons to be magical and change the material properties to make them weapons grade (but only when held by elves.)