/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get Nintendo games
OR
>Where do I get PS3 games
OR
>Where do I get 3DS games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/BUFFALO-2145487-Classic-USB-Gamepad/dp/B002B9XB0E
forum.emu-russia.net/viewtopic.php?p=25989#p25989
wiki.pcsx2.net/PCSX2_Documentation/Nightmare_on_Floating-Point_Street
twitter.com/AnonBabble

RETROARCH PCSX2 SOFTWARE ONLY CORE
WHEN
H
E
N

Vita emulator when

You'd only be able to run it on 32bit RetroArch, unless it was interpreter only as well.

What exactly is the difference between filters and shaders?

Filters are done on the CPU, shaders are done on the GPU.

what's the best usb snes clone controller?

also what's a good usb pad in general for playing platformers and such, older and newer?

Literally nothing :^)

amazon.com/BUFFALO-2145487-Classic-USB-Gamepad/dp/B002B9XB0E
Don't fall for the overpriced 8bitdo meme.

>The PS2 is a significantly more complicated piece of hardware than the GC, though. You literally can't write 1:1 emulation of it because its architecture violates standards such as how floating point numbers should work
This is the dumbest statement I've read on emugen in months.

>IF THIS OTTSEL FUCK DOES HIS INTRO DANCE ONE MORE TIME...

>black eyes
PS2 emulation is a joke.

There have been two updates today, actually.

forum.emu-russia.net/viewtopic.php?p=25989#p25989
I think the world gonna end

How do I achieve that?

This is actually RPCS3 with the recent high resolution rendering update with 150%. The eyes actually appear fine at 100%.

The least disgusting version of that would be ScaleFX.

Technically speaking, all of the things you're referring to are filters. And shaders are any program in a shader language, for running code on graphics processors beyond graphical APIs.
Nomenclature is 'filters' for software filters, and 'shaders' for filters in shader languages.

bump

demul was updated

I don't give a fuck

But it's the only good DC emulator.

Ok.

Not at the time I posted that comment there weren't.

Bump.

best != good

Of course, but when the best of any emulator gets updated, it's notable.

bump

scuse you

Is Persona 5 on RPCS3 slow for everyone no matter how powerful your computer is? Is it possible to get 30fps even in crowded areas?

Also has anyone tried Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland?

It plays perfect on my system except consistent audio distortion for most sounds (but not music), not sure if it's a Linux-specific bug, I've tried every setting I could change.

Pic related, it's a screenshot from RPCS3 taken today with 4x upscaling.

>playing vanilla ateliers

>Is Persona 5 on RPCS3 slow for everyone no matter how powerful your computer is?
Yes.

>Is it possible to get 30fps even in crowded areas?
Not yet for most people.
The closest you can get is 7700K @ 5Ghz or 7900X @ 4.4Ghz+. Even then it may drop

>It plays perfect on my system except consistent audio distortion for most sounds (but not music)
What's your cpu?

Who the fuck do I need to suck off to find a good link to the Tales of Symphonia (GC) Isos that actually fucking work?

Suck off the OP. I'm sure he can help you.

Why don't you just play the pc version?

>What's your cpu?

Xeon 1230v2 on Gentoo Linux with Linux 4.14-rc3, AMD RX460 + mesa 17.2.2 (open-source OpenGL/Vulkan driver).

Using AppImage build, because I can't compile RPCS3 against LLVM 5 (yet).

What features made RetroArch better than other frontends/standalone emulators?

I can think of 2

>audio/video sync
>stackable shaders

How do they work

>191838908
I would also like to know about this. I'm wanting to play Policenauts and would like to play with the mouse if possible.

Because I want 60FPS and I don't like some of the made changes.

It's called "RPCS3".
I wonder how many times I had this fucking Deja Vu.

user, there aren't even any Vita games to emulate.

Does it actually emulate Vita, though? I know it's one of the project's goals, but until they actually accomplish Vita emulation, they don't deserve to be called a Vita emulator.

Any chance of Redream catching up?

The best is still bad

RPCS3 don't have any code related to Vita emulation, but Nekotekina has made some progress. Thing is, this is not the focus until PS3 emulation is more mature

So, beetle bsnes vs bsnes mercury balanced?

The latter, obviously.

wiki.pcsx2.net/PCSX2_Documentation/Nightmare_on_Floating-Point_Street

Pretty interesting.

Anyway, do they at least have a bit-accurate (if extremely slow) implementation of the FPU and VU to use as a reference? Because they keep mentioning the hacks they do to speed things up but they never mention having an accurate mode. I thought emulation was all about preservation?

>Moral of the blog

>When comparing two floating point numbers a and b, never use a == b. Instead use something along the lines of fabs(a-b)< epsilon where epsilon is some very small number.

This is completely unrelated to the rest of the post but okay.

>Anyway, do they at least have a bit-accurate
This is where the horror begins, their interpreter is actually more bugged and less accurate than their dynarec

How far along has citra come? Is it pretty playable yet?

ded

rude

Its the best spyware emulator out there.

realtime rewind is really convenient

>tries to play something on Retroarch
>it crashes
>tries to use cheats on Retroarch
>it crashes
>game finally works, goes back to Retroarch menu
>it crashes

Why do people keeps recommending this fucking garbage

Honestly its probably a settings issue but that only supports your argument that its garbage. RA tries too hard to throw in every option including the kitchen sink rather than having fewer but more useful options that wont cause problems.

ZSNES may be more your speed, lad.

Is there a way yet to verify ps3 dumps yet or are we stuck guessing unless we get it from psndl.net?

I'm not reading your link, but that guy said it's impossible to 1:1 emulate the ps2's fpu, which is 100% bullshit. Just because pcsx2 is a habit peace of shit doesn't mean it can't be done.

ReDump does PS3 games. Not public yet, so you'll have to download the .dats off romshepherd.

Anyone that says it cannot be emulated has demonstrated they do not understand how computers work.

I works flawlessly for the bigger systems like nes/snes/psx but anything outside of that is a crapshoot.

>forgetting about gpgx, mgba, gambatte

>being this tech illiterate

this is what phoneposting does to you

IMO RA is just terrible at handling errors and reporting them to the user. Its go-to behaviour is just shutting down when something goes wrong (which from the point of view of the user is hardly different than crashing). Then your only hope is enabling all the logs and skim through them.

There's also the problem that the cores aren't sandboxed, so a crappy one will take the entire program down with no survivors. That's a complex issue to address though, the only way around it I can think of would be to have RA spawn a child process running the core and then taking over if that process dies (the way web browsers now isolate each tab for instance). That's easier said than done though.

Thanks, are the dumps for ISOs or are they verifying the individual files.

Catching exceptions/sandboxing are too cpisspiss/chash concepts to be ever included in RA.

This has to do with the fact that it started life as a command line app that would print errors to the console and then exit with an error code.

>user needlessly monkeys with settings that he doesn't understand
>downloads and runs cores that he has not read the documentation for
>has problems
f-fucking retroarch >:(

Exceptions don't work well across dynamic libraries anyhow, it would only be useful in the frontend internals.

I acknowledge that and I also know that good error reporting UI is a hard problem, especially in an application that targets so many heterogeneous platforms as RA does. But that doesn't change the fact that currently it's very user-unfriendly. Even a system message box with a simple error message before the application shuts down would be a huge improvement IMO.

It has more to do with the fact that the developers aren't winbabbies, and know how to simply use the console to have RA tell them what they are doing wrong.

He does have a point. RA does shit its self and close everything just for a small problem.
I to would like to see the cores sandboxed.

since most crashes are probably on the retroarch side i dont see how this is a bad thing.

So, is there any place to check which set is the latest mame libretro core compatible with?

I have 0.185 right here.

Then people would complain that X option isn't available.

As long as that doesn't negatively affect performance, nor introduce additional input latency, sure. If it does, fuck that, read the fucking manual.

I can easily crash RA by loading filters/shaders. Reading manual would help?

Except that's not even true. When I started hacking on rustation again a few weeks ago I built a fresh RA and for a reason I can't quite remember ended up "rm -rf ~/.config/retroarch" to start fresh.

I then launched RA with my core... and it immediately exited with a 1 status code and no message whatsoever. After a few tries I remembered that's because the default config doesn't log anything. So I messed with the config, enabled logging, retried and this time I got a console error about a missing BIOS.

There are many great things in RA but the error reporting is really poor. You shouldn't need to read a manual or mess with options to understand that you're missing a BIOS file.

Also it would be better at core/game switching. Least from a user point of view.
I would be happy if the log auto opened every time RA decides to close up because of a core error. Showing users what is wrong without them having to dig for it seems a good way to go.

What's the best? PSXC2 stable or dev?

dev version.

like dolphin thx

Nevermind I'm retarded, it says so on the core name

I'm a bit confused with emulating PPSSPP on Android. I have a far better device than my previous one (formerly Lenovo A328, now Xiaomi Redmi 4X) and most games are running slower. The only one where I can't see any issues is Persona 3 Portable, but everything else has stuff like clipping issues, very low frames etc. Persona 2 - Innocent Sin is a prime example. Even Gundam Battle Universe runs worse. I've fucked around with the settings quite a lot and everything is still slow.
Is there a better solution? (Adreno 505, Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 octa-core at 1.4GHz, 3GB RAM)

PCSX ReARMed or ePSXe for Android?

Never ever use ePSXe

why tho

PPSSPP is not half as good as people say it is. It's a complete toss up whether you'll get good performance in a game or not.

When I first played this in Dolphin, I legitimately thought I might need glasses or something, because the background kept going out of focus. I eventually found a single mention of the problem in a review. Apparently Sega just fucked up the port.

Enable multithreading at Configs -> System and see if helps

I have MT enabled natively. It's kind of an oddity though, my laptop that's a utter piece of shit runs these with absolutely no problems.
That, and I have to reinstall windows on it because it didn't want to boot up. I swear if I lose my Trails in the Sky saves, I'm gonna lose it.
Is there a dev build for Android or something?

So there are no Vita emulators, retard.

I have the same issue, been repping RA for years now and this is embarrassing because I can't fix it myself.
It's supposedly due to the RA overlay using ogl while the core is using Vulkan, or vice versa, something like that.

RetroArch is a pile of garbage, someone should just fork and fix this thing

My guess is that either your previous 1.3ghz quad had higher ipc over your new 1.4ghz octa, or it's similar, and you were just barely straddling the line before, and your new phone is bloated. Since your shitty laptop runs it just fine, I have to imagine it's your phone's shitty octa core being underpowered.

If I run a clean RA build with no settings changes besides enabling hard gpu sync, open a game in mednafen or either N64 core, the game will run fine but crash when I open the menu, this wee fella's not the only one with this issue, and afaik it's a well known issue in the libretro corner of the internet.

>n64 core
They're trash. Use PJ64 with angrylion plus.
>mednafen
Which one?

Don't worry, I can into emulator thanks, just wanted to point out that RA likes to crash when opening the overlay on some cores.
Beetle, hardware or software can reproduce this for me, and I've been updating almost every other day in hopes that it's fixed.
Are you aware of the ogl/vulkan overlay issue? I'd love to blame gpu drivers or something, since it clearly doesn't affect many people.

Let me guess, you're using the shitty vulkan backend, right? Hard gpu sync works fine with gl on team green.