/scg/ - Soul Calibur General

Hey people who like Soul Calibur. It's your old friend, colour knights guy.

I never went away, I just kept poking around at the SCV character creator in the background until I slowly lost any traces of sanity that I had left. I can't even call it autism at this point. It's surpassed that.

In honor of what may be the first Soul Calibur General in a long time, I'm going to dump character collages of all the characters I've made, starting with a character inspired by General Custer of the U.S Civil War.

This guy wasn't supposed to look like young Robert Baratheon from GoT but it just kind of happened.

I was going for a typical generic DnD thing with this guy. I was going for a typical DnD thing with a lot of the characters I've made.

Now would be a good time to mention that these aren't just alternate angles. As the screencaps go down in each image, they will often show a progression of the character's development.

Here, you can see Acquius goes from the long trident and sidesword combo of Hilde to just the shorter trident of Xiba.

This was an older design of mine. Looks kind of Gaia-Online-tier now.

You'll probably see the name Alager pop up for several dozen different and sometimes unrelated characters. It's my usual online handle and I couldn't decide on one style of character to be my surrogate.

I've also included the character portrait in the bottom corner for some characters. Only the characters I currently have in the roster (max 50) have portraits included because I never thought to screencap the older characters' portraits when I still had them. So you can kind of see which characters I kept and which I discarded.

This is obviously Blackbeard, the famous pirate Edward Teach. At least, an artistic interpretation of him. His design started as this next yellow-toned pirate.

You can see that I didn't keep Captain Roger. He was too similar to Blackbeard after I made Blackbeard, and Bb looks cooler.

You may also note that in the filenames it mentions colours and adjectives or professions before the character's name. I kind of used colours as inspiration when I first started making SCV characters, then those colours turned into factions that I eventually started cocking-up autistic canon backstories for.

And speaking of autistic canon backstories, you'd better believe I've thought up backstories and relationship trees for all these characters.

I often just go to VS. mode, set the cpu to fight itself, set the difficulty to Hard, give it 2/3 rounds, and set it to random custom characters and levels. I then think of reasons why/how the two characters are fighting each other in that level, and add that onto the ongoing "story".

Tried using Zwei's 2P jacket to make a pirate coat. Used a beard to hide that weird lip-height collar on the undershirt, and made a custom pirate hat from the Tyrolean hat and a turtle shell.

With a lot of my characters, like this ninja, I try to make a character that one wouldn't normally associate with a certain weapon, mainly because I find it frustrating how limited we are to just the main character (and Devil Jin) weapon styles.

Nunchuks (nunchaku?) are normally associated with martial artists and buddhists and stuff, but Maxi's sickle-ended ones looked like a good fit for a ninja, and I didn't want to make "typical martial artist" #9001 just because what the fuck else can you make that uses nunchuks?

Obvious East-meets-West design. "Quickdraw" raises different images in the two cultures, merged here.

Used Maxi's style to make a ninja so that I'd be forced to make something else for Natsu's style. Ended up with extra-fancy DnD-style thief. Maybe a high-level thief?

Very old design of mine. Tried to obviously make an "alien" or "future tech" design.

Well, before I get into posting all the characters of the autistic "factions" I've made, I'll post my 4 Castlevania characters, starting with Aria of Sorrow's Soma Cruz.

Next up we've got Juste Belmont, master interior decorator from Harmony of Dissonance.

Now, for Symphony of the Night, it's our easily-possessed friend Richter Belmont.

No, I never made a Rondo of Blood Richter, but it would be easy. I just always liked his SotN design.

And finally, how could I draw from SotN without doing Alucard?

Surprisingly accurate, given the tools available in SCV.

I give almost all my characters the darkest gray weapon trails for "realism", but some specific characters have color and/or effects for reasons. I make Alucard's weapon trail a vivid deep indigo like the Alucard Sword from SotN.

So here comes the O.C. parade. Donut steel. (Actually I'll screencap the recipes for anyone interested).

Starting with the Green Kingdom (green is my favorite color as will soon become obvious later), It's another of my first designs: Percival, lowly Green Kingdom soldier.

Next up is Green Kingdom scout Ricard. I didn't find him interesting enough in his previous form, and I eventually wanted an "archer" character, so he became the second cap.

Here would be, I guess a military commander or something (I kind of made rankings in each faction) for the Green Kingdom, Renault.

He was mostly an excuse to experiment with different coat/shirt cuff designs to see if I could make pirates. Ended up with a French-style huge-cuff justaucorps coat design with squashed halos for shirt cuffs that only work with the biggest cuff proportions, so only Renault gets them.

Moving up to second-in-command, it's the Green Kingdom's head knight Mordred.

In that last cap you can see that I figured out how to use the Hero Wings object to make an armguard that looks fucking perfect and animates flawlessly. You can even make it bigger than that.

Lastly, the Green King himself, Bertilac (can you guess that I'd just read about the Knights of the Round Table when I made some of these?). This is a design of mine that hasn't changed in many years, that I've still kept.

Like with all kings (and equivalent characters), his weapon trails are the color of his kingdom.

On to the Red Kingdom. Here we have soldier Felgard.

I was going for a gjermundbu helmet with full frontal aventail, and it worked out well enough that I kept the character.

I really wanted to make use of one of the two jester hats for a "jester"-y character, and I didn't yet have the means or opportunity to acquire Dampierre, so it was Yoshimitsu's style for officer of the Red Kingdom Garibaldi.

Here we have the Red Kingdom commander Donovan.

Making a "weapon master" character is kind of tricky, because you can't design the character around a weapon. They have to look like they could potentially use any one. That's why I always make weapon master characters with a claw or blade on their right hand, just in case they get Viola's style. It looks deadlier than just bitch-slapping someone.

And here we have one of the first piratey characters I made, Red Kingdom's Captain Seagrave. He's fairly big and imposing.

Also I tend to give all my piratey characters Raphael's 1P weapon because it looks the most like a sabre or cutlass, and the hand guard is FACING THE RIGHT FUCKING WAY ASKDFHLASJDF

And with the Red King Regulus, I'll call it a night here and pick it up sometime tomorrow.

This was the first character I made to use Astaroth's style. I originally intended for him to be the only character who would use his style, but alas, big axes/hammers are too cool to pass up.

Tomorrow I'll try to get to the rest of the factions: The Blue Empire, the Emerald Kingdom, the Monster Kingdom, the Vampire Aristocracy, the Vampire Slayers, the Angels, and the Devils.