/mcg/ - Minecraft General - Elves get out edition

Previous thread ► 1. WELCOME

We discuss Minecraft, modpacks, projects, building ideas, etc...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

[ ! ] For 1.10+ Use foamfix and Optifine with terrain animated turned off

► 2. NEWS

>[24 sep 2017] Noodlor's World-o-Walls (redux version) is completed! Including a world-download (1.12).
imgur.com/a/dQmq1

Twilight Forest is out for 1.12

► 3. USEFUL LINKS

>/mcg/ General text (use it to contribute news and info for the next thread!)
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-op

>Modding Tools & documentation
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-modfaq
mcforge.readthedocs.io
github.com/TOLoneWolf/curseDownloader

>Server list (own a server? Please move to the new Serblist.com)
serblist.com
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0Nywo6sZcexcYb46hTOfAwElaeUlPoCC4DKRFcMWYQ (Old)

>Ideas & Inspiration
mcnoodlor.imgur.com/
elworrier.imgur.com/
imgur.com/a/JPif9

>Castlefag's map
mega.nz/#!h3hi0TQR!areDzeQYr6RACXyDX-HE49BEIePIHze3liNoXg6Dhqg

Other urls found in this thread:

minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/lilliputian
reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/75dmxm/frame_crux_notch_source_and_varnish/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't even bother. It's just gonna die again.

New content never. Comfy private serb never

1.13 is taking forever, i just want to get my hands on it so i can begin the massive struggle of getting my mod to it from 1.12.

Is anyone that still comes to this thread familiar enough with MCEdit to answer a few questions?

I've only used it to purge chunks and delete erroring entities.
So... maybe?

ded already, maybe don't make a new thread when this one is gone

I can't say I'm surprised it died, but still.

Sad day.

Rip /mcg/

Do any of you even play the game anymore?
There have been so few posts about what people are doing in the game lately. It's either stupid questions that barely get any replies, or complaints about modding scene/mojang/being ded.

Also, r8 my clay-outta-thin-air machine

I do like that, it seems pretty neat. Tell us more about your factory user.

The gray blocks in the middle are mill stones from BambooMod, they take sand and grind it into clay dust, which is then combined with water to make clay. The ratio is 4 sand blocks to 2 dust to 1 clay, kind of inefficient and the mills are rather slow.
But you can just grind cobblestone (which is everywhere) into sand, so it's a good alternative to digging that shit from under water and almost drowning every time.

The deddest.

>handheld lasers with enough power to melt solid stone, jetpacks that run off of pure electricity, autonomous robots, matter teleportation, literal alchemy through nuclear fusion

>can't waterproof a machine so it won't explode when wet

That is one of my issue with tech mods. It makes sense that a machine might explode if it got water or sand or dirt in it, so why not have a way to circumnavigate it? Maybe an installable module, maybe a roll of tape, maybe just keep it away from the things that pose a risk.

silicone coating?

That would work, you'd just have to have the infrastructure for the production of silicone coating. I guess it'd be ideal if it wasn't just a coating, maybe some sort of resin with other uses too. At least then you could be justified in trying to automate it.

/mcg/ can't be dead I just discovered modding for this game two weeks ago and it gave me a pleasure from games I haven't felt in literal fucking years

why does this have to happen

What's the best way to pirate the game nowadays? Havent played in like two years.

don't pirate just buy from microsoft :^)
check the multiMC source, remove the account identification and compile it.

>can teleport matter
>can't teleport water away from the machine

how save /mcg/

In terms of the modding community:
Modders moved to a newer version, leaving those of us who use more than just a single mod at a time using old, dead versions of mods on an old and dead version of the game waiting for updates that will never happen, refusing to move on. That said, who would really want to use the newer version anyway? The modders aren't doing anything too amazing on newer versions that doesn't work just as well on older versions. The new updates for vanilla aren't that impressive. For performance there is fastcraft, for graphics there is optifine, anything else can be modded in an older version just fine.
Most large modders are, to my knowledge, are either autistic, cringy, lazy, or (usually) a combination. Not that it matters much on its own, but it seems to be hindering the actual development of some of the more interesting mods.
There are still small modders, but it seems that they either make mods for the 1.7.10 group, which is slowly disappearing, or for the current version, which seems to have nearly completely lost momentum.

In terms of multiplayer:
While I wasn't the most familiar with multiplayer, I knew people who were. From what I gather, PvP servers started adopting the "pay to play" or "pay to win" method, which drove people away from them, and those that didn't charge money usually still had either server issues or administrative issues. That, and some longer lasting servers ended up going through several iterations (after a map starts to stagnate, the admins make a new one in its place. This causes a few people to leave. Some new people come in, but the population continues to drop) until it loses momentum and dies. There were exceptions of course, but most seem to have lost momentum and died off. There were modded serbs, which I am in no way familiar with, but I believe that they had a similar issue to non-modded, in that either people and maps would start to stagnate. That and technical issues.

(1/2)

In terms of the general community:
The age range of the game is obviously pretty varied. That said, I know for a fact that the younger fanbase drove a lot of people away, and a lot of people into keeping it to themselves. This, plus the stagnation with mods and vanilla, pretty much killed the momentum of the game. The game is still very popular with children, although not as popular as it was, but the problem is that children aren't exactly the best keeping these sorts of communities alive on their own.

In terms of this community in particular:
/mcg/ is more focused on the modded aspect of things, as most of us have most likely played vanilla into the ground. Witht the modding community pretty dead, the youtube community pretty dead, everyone who wanted to build something been given ample time to do so, and having played modded mc into the ground just as much as vanilla, There isn't much left to do. There is no real news to talk about, nobody is building cool shit that we haven't seen before, and no good and stable servers to play. What more is there to talk about? The thread just ends up being full of questions or mod recomendations. I feel like most people are burnt out by now, especially with there being other, better games that do exactly what people play minecraft for.
Do you want to make a cool factory? Play factorio.
Do you want to feel progression? Play terraria or starbound.
Do you want to build a massive fortress and stockpile materials? Play dwarf fortress, towns, rimworld, or gnomoria.
Do you want to survive and brave the wilderness and maybe even PvP interactions? Play rust or any of the other multiplayer sandbox rpgs.
The only exception I can think of is the building aspect, but I see very little actual building on /mcg/ anyway.

In general, it just lost momentum. It was a good run, lads. I wish it weren't so, I really do.

(2/2)

>play (...) starbound
(you) know better than that.

So is this the real end of /mcg/? Is Minecraft over? I never finished my mega build.

should i expand my bore downwards to get more resources, or upwards to get infinite power?

nah this happens occasionally

I was honestly considering leaving Starbound out of my post, but decided to keep it in last minute.

It will be dead when people stop posting, user. If you want to keep it alive, post about your unfinished build. Personally, I have a few unfinished projects. One is a castle and town with working defenses in TFC. I haven't worked on it in a while.

Upwards, once you have power you can go downwards

Ebb and flow

I heard from somewhere that the reason starbound a shit is because some dev went and molested something he shouldn't have
Unfortunately the user who told me this also said they memoryholed any information about this.
Now I've seen people memoryholed for less, one of the guys who worked on runescape got completely deleted off the internet for making a bad quest, so it's not unreasonable.
Then again it could be bullshit.

Does make you think though.

dev was probably fired for overhyping the game well beyond the studio's ability to deliver.

Huh. Interesting. I was told that the dev used to be a dev for Terraria, but he split off after Terraria got big, made his own Terraria, and advertised it as the squeal to Terraria, raking in the profits.
That doesn't explain why it was shit, though.
Maybe it was just rushed and once the profits plateaued the devs just moved on to other things.

No, this was before it went to shit, and actually had promise, and then chucklefish randomly deleted all the content only to trickle it back in.
According to this faggot it was because some dev molested a little girl and they had to just go full DELET on everything.
Not exactly sure what connects the two.

I'm not sure if it was the main guy from terraria who went molesty, but I do know that he used final fantasy sprites in terraria before he quit/was kicked off.
Starbound in beta actually had promise, at least.

Im banned for some days so I cant post my builds progress so its up to you and the other 4 constant posters.

its close

I'm pretty new to this game so I don't have any stories or accomplishments.

For those who do, regale us all with your stories. Its not like there is much else to talk about.

its close

/thread

>found a random new private server that was opening november 2012
>applied and got in along with 4 other people
>pretty good start, even had a skype group
>pack was mindcrack
>in the beginning made a small base in the cave and expanded quickly into gregtech and solar panels
>other guy was in a swamp and one crazy dude obsessed with magic lived in a peak
>lets call them ram and steve
>ram did trains and had a huge xycraft base underground
>steve was into magic and only did thaumcraft
>a few weeks later
>steve decided to start building the spawn area, made it look really nice and asked us for materials in exchange for a place to build our stuff in spawn
>made a diamond generator with wither skeles and compressors
>made a huge flying airship with redpower
>everything was going great, numbers went down to just me and ram
>finally comfy as hell
new patch comes out for the game and pack
>server dies, owner is nowhere to be found
I think I left somethings out but ill never forget it.

>I do know that he used final fantasy sprites in terraria before he quit/was kicked off.
in a definitive (or public) build or not?
because if it's not, check Dangerous Dave in copyright infringement

>Xycraft

>he hates animated blocks
>he hates how versatile it is
>xycraft tanks > every other tank

what did xycraft do other than the multiblock tanks?

lamps too I think? colour coding? I think special soil blocks too

black xychorium dicks

>literal cancer on your worldgen with shitty glow in the dark ores

looks like a factory i had when playing on a Veeky Forums only minecraft modded serb ages ago. i mean literally 10 years ago i think. it was when ic2 was hot shit.

> i mean literally 10 years ago i think
user, Minecraft didn't even exist back then.

Nice, I think I'm gonna steal that design since I also wanted a shitton of clay. you seem to be pretty good for setting up machinery, do you have a really efficient cobble gen setup? And last thread you posted some coke ovens setup, can you also explain that as well?

May 17, 2009

minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/lilliputian

I miss gimmick mods

reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/75dmxm/frame_crux_notch_source_and_varnish/
Looks like Botania and Psi are the new Thaumcraft...
I wish gimmick mods stayed strong in modding as they were in 1.2.5

Eh I haven't used cobble gens for quite a while. I get more than enough cobble from mining (I never throw them away)

>coke oven setup
You mean pic related? It's really simple, just one item unloader to take coal from the cart to the oven, one loader to take coke from the oven to another cart, and a liquid loader to get all that creosote to a tank cart. They were all set up so that the rail under/over them (think it was a holding track) would activate when there was nothing left to move. One thing though: ovens don't seem to auto-unload to loaders, hence the pipe next to 'em. Then a system at one end would send one cart, wait till it gets back, and send the next. After all 3 carts did their jobs, a timer would pause to let the coals cook.

The hard part is actually setting the loaders/unloaders, since there isn't anything in Railcraft to copy machine settings.

fug

Update on the 1000:1 scale model of earth with TFC assets:
It seems that worldpainter allows custom block IDs. This might be a lot easier than I had anticipated. My worry is climate control, weather, ambient temperature, caves, and ore veins/clumps.

The process looks pretty simple since it's just loaders and unloaders but how do you coordinate the carts though? I haven't messsed much with carts.

It had 3 carts, one for each resource. You fire up the first cart, it does its job and comes back to its stop. Going in, it activates the next cart and so on. After the third cart comes back, it activates a timer which activates the first cart again once the time runs out.

It seems complex to setup the carts but I guess it's doable, did you learn to set it up from a tutorial or video? If so can you link it?

Can you also post more of your base? It's pretty great but I've barely seen it since I've been posting here.

Nah, just the wiki and some intense creative mode fuckery.
>Can you also post more of your base?
Which one?

The green and black one

Tell me something cool to make in thaumcraft. I have most of the popular addons but Kami is ages away.

The things i've set aside to experiment when i get back from work are:
-The Chameleon Tools
-The Collar of Pain
-Amber Crafting Scepter (So i can get enough stones of warding and arcane bricks without plowing through nodes)

aight

What mods would be sufficiently dorfy for a server who's overworld would be a cave system up to build limit capped with bedrock?

Botania might fit but
>Elves
not to mention the fact that the guardian needs a line of sight to the sky

One'd also have to make the cavegen interesting enough to not be boring as well as doing resource management to make sure everything's obtainable without a surface

I kind of regret deleting that world so early.

>sponsored by nvidia

Nice! What are those weirdly shaped stained glass made with?
Why did you delete the world though?

Heh I never thought of it that way.
I was mostly trying to rip off de_season

It's just stained glass and microblocks.

I always get so sick of my world that I can't bear it anymore, so I delete it on a whim and start a new one. Usually happens around early-midgame. Sometimes it's because of bugs though. It's easier to create a new one than trying to fix it.

When I get burned from playing I just leave the instance alone and play something else like a magicpack or conquest rather than just deleting all the effort. I can leave something unattended for some months and then when I feel inspired get back to work on it.

Did you also delete the treehouse and the mesabiome?

I gonna pour magma on ye head, ye sissy flower hugging knife eared buttwipe.

For some reason I can't get myself to have more than one instance to play. If I'm playing one I feel like I'm missing out on the other. Though this time I'm thinking about taking a break instead of quitting the world and focusin on other autism games for some time.

>Did you also delete the treehouse and the mesabiome?
Yes and there were 2 treehouses.

I'm gonna play on 1.10
I've got Quark, Immersive Engineering/Petroleum, and Animania
Are there any other meme-version exclusive mods that I'm missing out on

This is how the base on TNFC serb looks as of now, facing North.

The glassed part of long northern building is factory (mostly Meka and IE), rest is warehouse for raw resources. On the West there's a power plant designed to fit 2 full sized Mekanism turbines to work with fusion power, the eastern wooden building is what I call Farmer's house, basically for vanilla TFC and forestry stuff - further East to it - livestock pens, cows, sheep and pigs, south to it - a bee farm. Also fields for all types of TFC grain and veggies.

Currently the base is running almost entirely on coal power, generating steam from both creosote oil and coal coke blocks (4 coke ovens, 6 fuelwood heaters, railcraft creosote steam boiler). I estimate it's generating something about 4kRF/s. Enough to power IE excavator for most of the time. Coal comes from northern IE excavator. Currently it's 60-something percent coal left on that chunk. Should be enough to power the base for few weeks. Apart from that base is sitting on absurd amounts of IE gold chunks and good supply of iron and copper.

Further plans are to get RC anchors and have enough pearls to power them, get started with Pneumaticcraft, start OpenComputers, get Fusion Power. I'd also love to have an automatic cow milker with pneuma drones. Finally run multiple IE gold excavators at the same time and build some huge megaproject made out of TFC gold blocks. Good times.

What are some nice factory or automation set ups I can do with Thermal Expansion,Immersive Engineering,Railcraft,Buildcraft, and Thaumcraft?
I already have a series of induction smelters set up by catalyst, but I'm not sure what to do next.

That's painful to hear user, if anything having the instance saved somewhere as a file rather than as an instance would maybe fix that. Your shit is so good for just deleting it.
Ceramics, Embers/Roots if you are into that, Chisel and Bits, Valkyrian Warfare, Vics Modern Warfare, Better with Mods, Fire and Ice dragon mod, Conquest.
Comfy, except for the turd clouds.

Make clay out of thin air

newfag alert: do i have to make a whole new world if i want to add minefactory reloaded? or can i just run far enough away to generate new chunks and find rubber trees? playing on 1.10 btw

pic related is my current mods (side question: can i farm trees with what I already have, if so i can live without minefactory)

You can keep the old world, new chunk gens will contain the new mods

Do you use MultiMC? It's amazing.

At this point I doubt there are anymore old posters other than 5, maybe all these new guys will actually stay and make a new /mcg/
New chunks will generate the rubber trees.

I’ve been here for 3 years, am I considered an old poster?

I've been here less than that but I kinda consider myself an old poster. Considering that the general has a really bad retention of posters like the amount of questions that go like "What is best modpack/serb", "what has happenned since X years ago", "im new to the game/modding spoonfeed me" and such.

how can you have dorfs without elves to shit on?

>the main guy from terraria
the "main guy" from terraria has nothing to do with starbound.

as for the FF sprite thing, that was done by the guy who runs chucklefuck (tiyuri).

early test build of terraria that tiy leaked for one selfserving reason or another. cocksucker's life is one string of backstabbings and lies devoted to servicing his own desires and ego.

you have a good amount of chucklefuck hate, 2014 /sbg/ when it wasn't a bunch of cocksuckers like it is now?

by "the main guy from terraria" I meant the main dev of starbound who was kill from the terraria team, not red

I guess that'll work. The only recipe I can find though requires a bucket of water, but IE will take care of that. Anything else?

>redditors got so triggered at how a mod had its own sense of aesthetics (which are based on an existing work) that they remade the entire look of that mod to make it feel more generic magical

It's the same artist as the old aesthetics though

And that's why the modding community is that bad. They are pandering to retarded redditors.

thanks
i do not, cursory google searching appears it to be unnecessary. why do i want it?
thanks, why are you and that other guy talking in spoiler?

pic related is my noob base. I was planning on building a tree farm with minefactory next. but anons feel free to suggest, also what are some medium and longer term goals I should be going for? anybody have any mod suggestions that won't complicate my world much more?

also, any fix for TConstruct tools chopping my fps in half?

>why do i want it?
because it's mod manager but for minecraft

I bet they threatened to downbote his life

install optifine and foamfix
anything above 1.7.10 has critical optimization problems and these mods are necessary for anything period

Have optifine but not foamfix, thanks user

It's not like mods are complicated to install. Between in game (dis/en)abling and just going into the folder, I don't think I need any help.

It's more for other shit like multiple instance managing, not being fucking shit, supporting shit like mcedit, having a builtin curse downloader, quick links to all the folders, being able to use a different java version for each instance, uploading crashlogs to a pastebin close at the boop of a button, etc.
It's just a shitload more convenient but not in an apple it jest works way, it allows you a lot more convenient controls.

Ok I'm sold

hey /mcg/ got some questions for you

1. When was the last time you played vanilla
2. How does the Advanced Rocketry mod stack up against galacticraft
3. Are there any fortification/chemical/toxic weapons mods.
4. Are there any mods besides Fleet Pack that add ships to the game
5. Are there any mods that add war trains/ railway guns to the game.
5. Hows your games going? What mods are you running?