/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Seeing the speeding rocket of dead general approach and knowing you're already fragged edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

CURRENT Q:C NEWS: Dire wait for fixing frame rate and crashing issue.

Pastebin with download links for FREE GAMES: pastebin.com/NzQifF9b

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

>(Incomplete) QC custom weapon skin showcase:
my.mixtape.moe/wrrdkk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play QC
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

>October patch notes:
photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8BA5o24yv-F6X-govF7kUIzvbiNJzv2upOBlNNI6aJDhNclKdeNn7UUvzWqdxgA?key=UU1VaWJOZTBQQ0tpZUI0dGZCc1FwYVlnU

Collapsing waveform of previous slipgates

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcharts.com/cmp/611500,282440#7d
people.freebsd.org/~danfe/Quake%20II%20Physics.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=w-nzVMqj0qg
go.twitch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1st for every champion needs a fan. An adoring fan...

TIM LIED, /arena/ DIED

>page 10 again
This operation's falling apart

someone is spamming Veeky Forums with guild wars 2 threads, that is why its moving so quick right now.

Where's QL

somewhere between q3 and q4

We found a slipgate out of this place, but it turns out it's better to stay here.

>dead genre
>dead thread
just let it die

No.

This is how it ends, huh

Get your shit together /arena/

I can't, Slash raped my boypussy too hard and now I'm incontinent.

Posting this question again from the previous thread.

Would I get VAC banned or w/e if I used 3rd party software for crosshairs in QC? The current one is REALLY pissing me off and I'm too impatient for new ones.

Afaik VAC doesn't work with QC. They use internal anti-cheat system.

There is no anti-cheat so you can do whatever the fuck you want.

nyx got that apple bottom

huh

How would the Arena girls fugg? I feel like Crash would make such passionate love to you, you would catch feels. And Nyx would send your dick into another dimension literally.

Hunter will break your pelvic bone and hold you at gunpoint the whole time with threads of death by Lightning Gun if you don't die from the snu-snu.

you can't keep me from page 1

whats a good starter champion? i tried nyx last night in tdm and got 1 frag. you guys told me to play during the day since most casual players on are during the day and more experienced players at night.
should i try nyx again or would another character be better?
have not played an arena shooter since quake 3 so i am mega rusty at this kinda gameplay. only fps games ive been playing are titanfall 2 and lawbreakers

R A N G E R

find one that fits you. personally I like DG and B.J 'cause they can be very aggressive.

doomguy

>Scalebearer has the Choo-Choo medal
>Autistic people like trains
COINCIDENCE?

Doom is one of the strongest picks right now even if you're not that good. Nyx probably needs some brain power to use, not that I would know since I've never touched the disgusting cunt.

speaking of Champ medals did anyone ever get the mein leben or mince meat medals.

Is QC good? Is it going to mysteriously die like every other arena shooter in the past decade? Are the devs going to suddenly go soft in the head and murder it like every big-name arena or arena-like shooter?

I feel like a fucking abuse victim when it comes to arena shooters and TF/Tribes. I'm afraid to commit anymore. I've been hurt too many times before.

if you want someone who's going to feel a lot like Titanfall, nyx is probably your best bet because of her wall jump. that said doomguy has double jump and slash has crouch slide. personally, I really like high mobility champions like nyx, ranger, visor and clutch (his mobility relies on his dodge). haven't played anarki or slash but they're both also pretty high mobility if you like that kind of thing. Anarki and Sorlag both have slightly different movement mechanics than the rest though, as they're both able to turn while strafejumping.

If you like characters that are able to soak up a lot of damage, scalebearer, sorlag or (believe it or not) anarki might be good picks. I wouldn't recommend anarki at first though because he has very little health and armor. The reason why I call him "tanky" though is because he's extremely hard to hit, really fast (so he can control when he fights better than most champions) and his active lets him instantly heal a large portion of his health (effectively increasing his hp/ap when the skill is off cool down if you use it correctly) while also increasing his max health and armor for the rest of the match.

It's shit.

it's solid but ruined by garbage russian coding

its shit from a design standpoint as well

Concept is good, overall ideas work, execution screams internally. When they said the game is in beta state - they meant it. Netcode is literally in rubble. I highly advise do not picking it in Early Access unless people will say the netcode is in at least playable state. Also there is no Hunter yet.

I want to like the game and play it, but the game doesn't seem to want me to like it or play it

Is Hunter actually that popular or is it just this site's fine taste for amazon women?

Something between.

t. 'every game that isn't cpma is garbage but i don't understand why they all die???'

She's popular enough to get a fair amount of fanart for a Quake character and for Timmyboy to mention her in the second to last stream.

I'm sure glad QC revitalized the genre to appeal to modern gamers
steamcharts.com/cmp/611500,282440#7d

>new game comes out
>nothing is changed
>"what the fuck is this garbage, if i wanted quake 3 i'd just play quake 3, indieshit overpriced rehash 0/10"

>new game comes out
>anything is changed
>"what the fuck is this garbage, the genre was perfected at quake 3, casualized mass market trash 0/10"

>modern gamers
Why would you do this? Most of them seem to prefer a game where you're told to press a button, you press that button, you get congratulated for pressing the button and applauded, then you open a loot crate.

Niche games can and do thrive for other genres, why not arena shooters?

Diabotical will save us from Bethesda's wild ride. QL would have been successful had it not been for SyncError's retardation and general mismanagement.

Does anyone else keep a text file of all their runes so they know who to switch to before winning a match?

>tfw some day soon the servers will go down and you'll never see or hear your quakefu ingame again

>QL would have been successful had it not been for SyncError's retardation and general mismanagement.
It was nearing dedgame levels before the loadouts update

HUGH

JANUS

DOAH!

Check this out, toxjq dumbfounded at the warping:
clips.twitch.tv
/VibrantAssiduousCobblerHotPokket

PLEASE OH GOD MAKE IT STOP!

christ id get ur shit together

>botmode top scoring

so he was playing on american server for some reason?? having 100+ ping might cause warping you know, especially in a game with as shitty netcode as QC

DOAH is such a good written form of Sarge's jumps, its almost better than Q1 Ranger's HUUHs.

>100+ ping might cause warping you know
The warping is purportedly framerate-based. You upload data every frame, so if you get lower framerate you upload less data, and apparently the engine lacks prediction based on the last few inputs to smooth things out

As if Q3/QL's "Im not gonna register your shot for a whole second if your pings over 40" netcode wasn't shit enough.

That sounds like QL, not Q3. Sounds like a symptom of unlagged

Still, the delay should be 40ms for hitscan, not a "whole second". If you're getting a whole second you're lagged by far more than 40ms and unlagged won't even toggle for you. And projectiles and everything else non-hitscan should spawn in the world delayed by 40ms, too

Surely it isn't. How could you be this bad at making games that framerate actually has a major impact on player connections? Then again, given the rest of the shit in this game I wouldn't be /that/ surprised. Might explain why I seemed to get worse when my graphics settings reset from the patch. I just pushed the internal renderer up to 100% resolution and left everything else on default (everything was on low before the patch, and even with medium I get an average of 60fps).

>Surely it isn't
It very much is

It was already tested and confirmed that frame rate is directly linked to the amount of upload you have when playing.
They really are that bad. Just accept it, user.

Why does this shit keep happening?

Like, if you go and look at any "how 2 program gaems" tutorial, step one will be "how to write a game loop", and step two will be "how to separate your rendering and logic so fps drops don't fuck with your gameplay".

And yet it feels like every single AAA developer does exactly that.

Even with a game like this where performance and responsiveness are absolutely key to the game's success.

In this case it all comes down to it being slav-code.

people.freebsd.org/~danfe/Quake%20II%20Physics.pdf

what in the ever loving fuck

Really interesting, user
Thanks for posting

What in the goddamn.

this is why you can do so many sicknasty jumps in quake 2
youtube.com/watch?v=w-nzVMqj0qg
one of these jumpers is currently breaking a bunch of records in Q3 defrag as well after retiring from Q2 jump

What in the mother of fuc-

At least we know why Carmack wanted to patch physics in Quake 3 but in the end he didn't. This fucked up and cryptic as shit.

well he did remove 90% of movement tricks going from quake 2 to 3
the only thing that really stayed was strafe jumping until QL where they brought back double jump

Is it good? yes
Is it in good shape or state right now? not yet

But it's really good, the most fun i've had in years, and you would too.

Because in the AAA world, time is money, so the less time you have to spend implementing something the better. Also because in the AAA world people tend to be contract workers (with the exception of higher-ups like project leads), so the faster you can get a passable system in place, the better your job outlook is. If you take 3 months, even if your physics system is highly accurate, well optimized, framerate independent and able to support hundreds of objects at the same time, you'll probably be replaced with someone who can do the bare minimum in 2 weeks when your contract expires.

Not to say that I defend it, but in all honesty I can see why. Due to release practices by AAA studios, people expect for a game to come out more or less a year after being announced (which is why day 0 patches exist). Along with that companies need more artists as graphics become more sophisticated. Because of the larger dev team, costs are higher, which necessitates alternate forms of funding. Why? Because you have to have the cash to not only regain the money spent during development, but also make enough money to guarantee enough funding for another game, fund any company growth necessary to compete and also shell out money to other developers owned by the company that are bleeding cash but are considered too valuable to shutter. Why not pay devs less? Because the people who do the grunt work already tend to be paid jack shit in an extremely competitive industry.

So why not just raise the price of games so that I don't get slapped with paid level packs and micro-transactions? That's kinda what the base game + season pass bundles are. You're paying the increased price of development so you can access the dlc for "free", while also ensuring that the general audience (and old enthusiasts) aren't completely turned away by the otherwise high price on the "base" game. It also has the effect of convincing people to pay the full price who otherwise wouldn't have.

I agree. It's got a LOT of potential but has a long way to go.

UNF

>join 2 games today
>both times the server crashes

HRNG

why is he oiled up

[moaning]

go.twitch
.tv/tastyspleentv
QC KOTH
anyone can sign up

anarki is ruining this game

HRNG!

GIMME A DROP, TWITCH
IT'S TIME

It sucks balls.
Works badly, horrible graphics and visibility, wonky netcode, bad concept and execution with the champions.

These jumps are so comfy.

they're a nightmare to actually do

do you guys think qc will ever get mod support or community servers?

_no

low chance right now, chances hit 0 if they end up switching to id Tech 6.

>early this week

Delusional.

all we need is the hotfix and we'll be back to 1000 players

no all we need is diversity

>if they end up switching to id Tech 6
Why do people keep repeating this
It's all some user's headcanon and incredibly unlikely
The higher ups at Zenimax are sure to greenlight it, eh? "Yeah man, this project didn't succeed because of the engine, go ahead, port it all to id tech 6 from scratch, then QC can be huge"

>Hero shooter
>look up what these are
>lists containing TFC, TF2, and a bunch of shit MOBA-hybrids that are barely even FPSes

Why is this a thing? Why are they trying to co-opt the TF series?