obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RolePlayingGame
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UsefulNotes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for looking for ideasguy

what's up dudes

recently came out to my parents as gay and got lots of progress done on my game! how have you guys been doing?

Posting progress.

>tfw came out as a gamedev to my parents
>tfw they told me to get a real job

I'm not an ideas guy but I'm proficient in coding in multiple languages, can write some pretty decent background music and have 3D art skills..

nobody wants me. fucking ideas guys getting all the puss.

do you have any ideas, user?

>clean op
good job

Is this one of those android superhero clone games

Yes, tell us fellow anonymous poster

what?

he looks like he's rapping

throwin down some sick beats

Yeah I like it as well, if only it was always like this...

Finally, the Sup Consul videogame!

I really need to figure out how to do those pretty hit swipes.

noided

Obscure Kink Jam when?

>try to get the playback position on an animation sequence from a state machine in an animation blueprint
>instantly crashes
nice multithreaded animation bro

>tfw mecha jam is already my kink jam

I'm spending way too much time with this one

>telegraphing the scare this hard
I would just make a subtle shadow grow out of the trees for like a fraction of a second before the final spook

no its way better this way

Not the same user but depends what you are going for. The way user had it is more scary, yours is more creepy.

Enginedev here, i just started messing around with "real" tools like unity.
There's a checkbox called "optimize game objects" in the Rig import settings. I have no idea what it does but apparently you have to use it when importing according to a tutorial i followed.
Unity is full of stuff like this. Things that you know you have to do because that's the way it's done but you don't know why or how it works. And there's millions of other settings and options.
Is this how you guys develop games? You just click and drag some stuff around without any real understanding of what it actually does and hope for the best?
And then when a bug appears, you sort of just fiddle with settings and try different solutions until one works?
This doesn't feel right.

I want to try making a RPG for mecha jam
However I feel like I need to sort out all the features and systems I need before even starting with the code
Can you list all the things that are mandatory for an RPG? Like, equipment, skills, leveling up, shops, classes, etc

Took like 3 seconds.
"When turned on, the game object transform hierarchy of the imported character will be removed and stored in the Avatar and Animator component. The SkinnedMeshRenderers of the character will then directly use the Mecanim internal skeleton. This option improves the performance of the animated characters. You should turn it on for the final product. In optimized mode skinned mesh matrix extraction is also multithreaded."
Would you rather the engine give you no options regarding optional things that some projects may or may not want?
Any decent UI will have something prechecked if it's suggested. Unity is just a took, not a hand holder.

You could open documentation and look up what exactly it does.
How far did you get with your enginedev if you're retarded like this?

>going from enginedev to a retardengine like unity instead of a good midpoint

Theres this thing called documentation, but no. Unity is a framework.

>Things that you know you have to do because that's the way it's done but you don't know why or how it works
>This dosent feel right

I hear you brother- its not the way I learn either and it just feels wrong just following commands without knowing why.

I use Godot so I can actually see exactly what something does when I'm not 100% what it's doing.
Sometimes you do fiddle with settings, that's why the settings are there. But it's not like the settings are obscured or undocumented.

>Unity is a framework

>Unity is a framework

If only people who made code that's intended for other people to use would write some sort of instruction manual. Like a DOCUMENT for informATION about what different things mean.

>Unity is a framework

I will probably change the very first phase with the tiny head moving and keep the rest. It feels pretty nice with sounds

>Is this how you guys develop games? You just click and drag some stuff around without any real understanding of what it actually does and hope for the best?

what are levels of abstraction? user, why do you want to know how electric pulses in a computer become images in your monitor if you only want to make a game?

did you consider my idea of playing thumping noises even as you look away as if the dude is still trying to get in

Had a dream on how to fix an issue I ran into last night. Who else /alwaysproductive/ here?

>unity is a framework
Say it with me.
M O U N T
S T U P I D

Rate my second highly detailed trebuchet

thanks for the (you)s

Yes, that is how it's always done, at least at first (and always, for non-programmers).
It's the inevitable consequence of working INSIDE an engine: it isn't like riding on a motorcycle, you are essentially piloting a gigantic machine from the cockpit.

The catch is that you don't have flight school or training or anything: you just have to jump in the cockpit and start pressing buttons until the plane does what you want.

>And then when a bug appears, you sort of just fiddle with settings and try different solutions until one works?
This is just part of life working with any giant piece of software. Good documentation is not a common thing.

I've expanded the stalker mechanism with encountered enemies following you home

No solictors. Read the sign

>this is still better than anything I've made yet
Maybe I'm biting off too much by trying humanoids. They're also usually just one shape extruded... should I be using multiple shapes?

This looks really greato, keeb it up

Has anyone here ever used WebRTC?

It looks like it's currently the only option for realtime networking with browsers, but i'm having trouble finding any documentation or demos for the UDP-like use case at all.

I can't help but feel 99% of "indie" games could have been made in Flash a decade ago and had the same entertainment value.

Marcotransations where players pay for volume control and different screen resolutions

what is the value of this post

Marcotransations where players pay to have a guy called Marco come and play for them

Lower than if it was made in flash

How does a game being made with Flash add any value to it?

>agdg discovering that gameplay actually matters

I can't help but feel 99% of "indie" games could have been made for SNES two decades ago and had the same entertainment value.

Working on boss attacks. This may look easy to avoid, but it took me more than a few tries to record it without getting hit.

Not saying Flash adds any value, I'm saying that most indie games seem to use tools far above what are required and I could have seen the same ones pushed out in a month in Flash for little to no effort.

Is he giving swimming lessons?

he's saying most indie games are worthless retard

Flash was cool as fuck because you could just open the page and the game would play fine without any issues even though it was slow as shit, Newgrounds was a free candy store and you could easily play dozens of games in one day.
Nowadays everyone moved on to real engines with shitty HTML5 support, the newer NG games just feel like mobile ports, it's just not the same.

I can't help but feel 99% of "indie" games could have been played with a stick and hoop a century ago and had the same entertainment value.

Is love2d a good framework for a 2d sidescroller with procedural generate content?

no

Binding of Isaac is a quintessential indie game, it started in flash and then they had to entirely remake it because of flash limitations.

Sturgeons law.

Also, I'm assuming you're referring to tools like Unity and Game Maker? Flash was killed by the browsers, and Unity is just as easy or easier to use. So even if they are vastly more powerful than what's needed, they're what people use now.

>2004/2005
>Some mildly entertaining game in flash you could pick up, get bored with and move on from in 5 minutes
>probably 3mb

>2017
>same level of game that is entertaining for 10 minutes
>UE4
>400MB
>Laggy as shit

Sure. You can make that in any engine or framework.

>monthly patreon arrived in my bank account
>wake up early so I can exchange my dollars for local currency and pay my credit card
>bank already paid itself at its own rate
Fug. I got jewed.

You could
But unless you're choosing love because you have previous experience with lua, consider other options

>patreon
out
and stay out

sorry ;_;

What's wrong with love? Or lua for that matter?

Use a basemesh made out of a slightly subdivided cube, without any regards to the topology, sculpt it to add muscles, then retopologize over it.

It does look kinda easy. It would probably surprise me the first time around though.
The window between attacks looks kinda big, for harder difficulties you could just shorten it I think (and add bullets)

Not to defend the latter but downloading 3mb in that era for me took as much time as 400mb now. Maybe even more.

>The window between attacks looks kinda big, for harder difficulties you could just shorten it I think (and add bullets)
I already have planned to increase the frequency of the attacks and some other things as his health gets lower. Also he'll get some screen wide attacks as the fight goes on.

Is my game Flash enough

Would literally be better if you just drew it in flash

But thats a screenshot, user!

>a whole 30 real
nice

Love is a framework, so you're missing out on a lot of conveniences that engines provide. You have to actually program everything, there's no visual editors or anything like that.
Lua is fine, especially when a game uses it as a modding language. But for low level game code I really wouldn't want to use Lua.

lua is just lacking in libraries compared to other options
If you like it and know what you're getting into. Go for it

what?

lua is fine for low level game code, better than most other languages. you just have to be comfortable with doing a lot of the work yourself

Maybe try tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RolePlayingGame and any relevant pages in tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UsefulNotes

Don't let other people bully you. They're just jealous they'll never make anything of enough value that people will pay for it.

Hey /agdg/. What I always wanted to ask: Is anyone of you doing some OpenGL/Vulcan/DirectX stuff or is everyone on Unity or some other engine?
Next question would be about programming skills, but lets see how this one goes first...

Ctesiphon and Coal are the two 3D enginedevs I can think of. There's also a guy messing around with Vulkan but he has no game.

When the surveys are done, it's at least 90% framework and engine users.

Of the games that are on steam, it's at least 90% engines and frameworks:

Risk of Rain: Game Maker
Deadbolt: Game Maker
Cash_Out: Game Maker
Cavern Kings: Game Maker
Spaceman Sparkles: Game Maker
Uncanny Valley: Game Maker
Pixel Star: Game Maker
VA-11 HALL-A: GameMaker
Way of the Red: Game Maker: Studio
Monolith: Game Maker: Studio

Skyrogue: Unity
Catmouth Island: Unity
Megabyte Punch: Unity
Xenoraptor: Unity
Stormworm+: Unity
Social Interaction Trainer: Unity
Still Not Dead: Unity

Vagante: C++ (SFML)
Lethal League: C++ (SFML)

Painter's Guild: Flash
Restricted-RPS(Client): Flash

Aviary Attorney: Construct 2
Dreaming Sarah: Construct 2

Vampire of the Sands: Java (LibGDX)
Restricted-RPS (Server): Java (Native)

Aerannis: LÖVE

Tier 1: C#

Walkerman: Ren'Py

Hmm okay. Maybe I should lurk more often.

Oh my...
I thought Unity were the most used one.
But I guess I'm a bit out of touch

Risk of Rain is GM? Gosh, what a punchline. All those twats making jrpgs are wasting their time

W-what?

It is the most used one, it's just not the one that leads to the most finished games.

How does this look? I've been working on improving this effect for a new enemy

>Only ones I've ever heard of are in GM
>Only one I've bought recently (heat signature) turns out was made in GM

What counts is making a game that looks good and plays well. The engine's barely responsible for any of that, restricted rps could have been made in any high performance engine, it's still shit.

Out of these five enemy designs, which one should I work on first?
The first one is a Valkyrie enemy, second one is a berserk rushing enemy, third is a cloak that chases the player quickly while firing orbs, fourth I don't know what to do with, and fifth is totally not a spear armor.

Check the recap, it lists what tools people are using
It's not a comprehensive list, not everyone posts to it, but it'll give you a good overview of currently active progress posters

Fourth.