/domg/ - Dominions General

Delayed Edition

Previous Pantokrator
Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP head first, the best learning experience is by playing the game

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Dominions 5

illwinter.com/dom5/

Other urls found in this thread:

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2855
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3021
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The game has ended and I won - true Malakal has ascended once again! Can't post the graphs because they don't seem to work for modnation games so I will post a small description of the game.

I started in a ok position, took turmoil-luck build with a rainbow pretender dormant to maximize gem generation. My strategy was centered on a very cheap 18S D3S2 (FAE)3 summoned mage at thaum5 that can call ally x5 an alien ghost. The mage itself is excellent and the ghosts are ethereal undead so they are also quite good. Other than that my national troops and mages suck and my other summons while good don't come nowhere near this good. So it was a strategy based on one summon.

I spammed it like crazy alchemizing all my gems into that. I expanded ok and then researched until I had enough rp for waging war. Luckily I managed to secure my borders as Avernum is extremely vulnerable to a rush.

Malakal free games when?

Other nations were:
1. Smerv, blood hyena nation that has extremely numerous sacreds but can't recruit non national troops and mages and their troops are squishy, BDE nation. They vultured (haha) some of their neighbors but overall didn't do much this game, I bordered them but there was no reason to remove them.
2. Phlegton, sludge elves, WEFD nation based on slimes and jellies. The mages are very solid but the troops are meh and the summons are quite expensive. I removed him after a short war, I had research advantage and simply more stuff. He also fought Deya but not sure if he suffered big losses.
3. Doom, BFD nation of demons. Very good early power that falls off hard. Ganged on Deya a bit but then randomyl went AI, didn't do anything all game as far as I could tell.
4. Elludia, SD ethereal nation. Extremely potent early game but then falls off hard since all its units are cap only. Expanded very well and vultured Phlegton but after that didn't do anything worthwile.
5. Neritia, DAWE fish nation. Very solid mages, ok troops, weak summons. Killed it off but it managed to first kill Sargassia.
6. Sargassia, kelp nation, NDEW. Got quickly rolled over by Nertia due to sacred vine ogres as their sacreds and overall very weak troops and summons. Played by Strabo and he got bullied hard.
7. Lentia, my final enemy. Shark nation of FEWA. Decent troops with better reveler unit with shit mr, engaged in early war with Sawaiki and that hurt his rp very hard.
8. Sawaiki, polynesian nation? FEW I think. Fought Lentia all game and died to it i the end but not before removing him from the running.
9. Deya, HoMM3 Necropolis nation. DEAF nation. Very strong mages, very strong sacreds, good units. Got gang banged early on and went AI but still with a lot of land and forts, just lost capital. Definitely premature AI.

Game went like this:
1. expansion phase, I did ok but the map was too big for the number of nations and it dragged on, lost quite a lot of battles to indies too.
2. Deya got gang banged, Sargassia got removed.
3. I invaded Phlegton, Smerv and Elludia vultured a bit.
4. I invaded Nertia, Deya went AI.
5. I invaded Lentia, Deya, Doom who randomly went AI.
6. Biggest problem for me was taking a monolith throne without armies in the area.

In the end I had too much rp (over 4k), finished almost all research, the enemies didnt have stuff that could stop me and my summoned armies.

Good game everyone, next time the map needs to be smaller and your plays need to be better!

Can i get 2 more hours?

No

Fuck off Malakal.
Diplo is for pussies.

>Illwinter Game Desing
This is just embarrassing to see reposted.

Midgard that was... outrageous!

Also admin please set 54h for a turn. I'm in too many late games now, the turns require some thought.

>He doesn't want some lads to read the OP and think it was delayed.

Hahaha, what the fuck did your Angakoks cast?

Where are the cute boys that play dominions 4? And don't suggest the one from /v/anheim, I've already teased him and despite having a bf he is a total slut.

I saw in the thread that this game ended, but I didn't get a chance to see it until now, so here are the graphs.

At the time I subbed in, Ulm was being eaten by LA Pan who was also the biggest nation. My predecessor made an awful vampire queen with 5 dom, misfortune 3, and magic 0. He recruited a few S1 illuminati, but he used them exclusively as spies to raise unrest. He had a relatively small portion of his land labbed, and used them to make the 2nd Tier guys and hunt, which was nice, but he had way fewer mages than he should have. Instead, he had a TON of pikemen and other ulmchaff.

Since LA Pan has way better troops than ulmishmen, I decided to fight him by going around his army and using troopblobs supported with what magic I had to break his castles. Since Pan was partially distracted by Jomon, this worked great. I beat his raiding parties with weight in troops and black priests, and dodged his armies while breaking his forts quickly. I still lost a bunch of guys to seduction, but that's just what happens when you fight Pan.and by breaking his forts quickly and patrolling next to them, I was able to catch a fair few.

Uncertain about fighting my own weird embarrassing, deathball of troops and low tier mage support, Pan sent his pretender and a ton of guys and sages in a counterattack. I raided back the provinces he took, finished researching Call Horror, and fought him using horrors to rout his army. It was really fun and cool and I never had the chance to use it again.

After conquering Pan, I was a real contender to win, especially since I was the toppest blood nation and Pan's provinces were rich in pearls. I kicked R'lyeh off the coast thanks to the fact that any of their good units are magic beings and iuhron buhrizzardo is good against magic beings, and then started to prepare to go UW. Luckily, R'lyeh agreed to truce out so I didn't have to.

I then started to poke Pythium, who was probably #2 in size at this point, but pretty close to everyone else. He tried to get the world to rise up against me or something while he went for a throne win, since he had 3 and was in reach of 4 more with 6 needed to win. Jomon bit on this for some reason, but he didn't really have mage support worthy of the name, so I sent an elite strike team of around 30 of my best black priests along with my blobs of ulmchaff to go conquer him. That went pretty well. Since I was already preparing to go UW to fight riley, I was able to kick him out of his lakes too.

While that was going on, I suicided an SC into a stack that he had sieging a fort, and also sent some magic duelists to snipe his god, but after killing the other S mages he had with him, the last two MISSED with 100 precision and then went home unfulfilled. Luckily, it turns out that all I had needed to do was burn his gems and cut his retreats and he lost his god anyways. Woohoo. Then he attacked me, and one of my magestacks hit its preset kill limit wiping out swathes of vine ogres and maenads and eventually losing. Then he kept going until he hit RoS which successfully killed most of that mageball and his will to keep playing. Then I rammed horrors and demons at him while he turtled.

Then he put up Arcane Nexus on the same turn that Arco attacked me in two (2) provinces as his alpha strike. This spooked arco, who agreed to go fight him instead of me, which I was cool with. Unfortunately, I'd already ordered a ton of attacks and was too lazy to redo my turn, so I just hit like 3/4 of his provinces and sent him back his apology gems when that went through. Arco and I both dispelled Nexus on that same turn, meaning it was up for only one and Pythium, seeing that he was alone and unloved, went AI.

I kept attacking Arco just to keep him busy while I went for the thrones. Then I put up Astral Corruption, ending all hope of resistance, and won a few turns later.

Some cool things that happened this game -

That one Call Horror spam fight against Pan's deathball

R'lyeh made a super strong Eater of the Dead and let it loose on the world.

I got Longnu the Dragon Waifu while sieging a coastal fort that Jomon's buddha pretender was in (since I counted as the province owner).

I farmed horror seeds onto thralls and wolves to make an exploding thing of lesser horrors

I overgeared a bunch of blood summons to kill chaff hordes and got some HoF scores

Should we create a new submission form for PBEM wins when Dominions 5 is released, so we can immediately start gathering data for a new balance mod?

we can start gathering data, sure. I won't expect a balance mod for a good, long while, esp since we'll have the potential to directly influence the devs a bit in the first few weeks.

The hard part is going to be filtering the noobs and noise, so that bad players like sumbadone don't give nations like Xibalba unneeded nerfs.

Shinu was found dead behind the tavern shortly after this was taken

>3. Doom, BFD nation of demons. Very good early power that falls off hard. Ganged on Deya a bit but then randomyl went AI, didn't do anything all game as far as I could tell.

There are two Doom nation mods, which one was it?

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2855

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3021

The good one (the second one).

I know that this is impossible, but if devs will add a fourth era would you support this decision?

>no magic, humans only, final destination

I refuse.

1v1 me bro. no items ofc.

FYI e*f slayers
If the admin is here, can we bump the timer by 4 hours? Either 28 hour turns or a turn that is due 4 hours later would be very helpful

Hello?

Hello!

Hi. Are you doing your duty of remove e*f?

I always remove elf!

One of the best ways to remove e*f is to trade me air gems

I am not in your game!

Then the second best option is to sponsor me as a professional Dominions player so I can remove e*f 24/7. I'm willing to accept a salary of $28k, and I'll do endorsements.

Okay, but first you need to prove yourself to be the very best like no one ever was. Total your wins against the following players -

jbereton
nuclearmonkee
maerlande
sum1won
raiel
sy
malakal

You must have 3 or more against each to win a sponsorship

That's not a very good metric. I could challenge those players to lightning duels until I amassed 3 wins, irrespective of win rate. Instead, I submit that my .06666667 pbem win rate is sufficient to earn a sponsorship.
Endorsements!

Anyone have the clown mod?

For turn 16? Shore. I accidentally already fucked up and forcehosted instead of extending a turn and staled myself.

Have 6 more hours.

This is a Civilized general, Savages are NOT allowed.

Talk about rage quit!

What the fuck is this

Only era I can think of would be archaic era where Pantoman leaves without imprisoning all the big bad monsters. Basically EA on steroids.

what the fuck, what happened?

Congratulations, Malakal!

It was my first time hosting a modnation game and my second time hosting in general, so sorry to all for the bumps along the way.

This is why you don't join games by admins you don't know. Always ask admin for his Steam/Discord name so you could filter shitters in the future.

Story events are fun.

its not a story event its a normal site event for the silver sarcophagus site

it also does next to nothing, some scale spread and disease

Wait what why

the same admin was TC in EarlyVanilla, and went 100% AWOL after Abysia and Ulm removed them, so someone usurped their adminship

You think? Well thats some quality badmining then, who he was in choco?

No idea
at least Lukas let the games stay up, even if no one actually got to play them

I would guess he was TC, based on the fact I just checked the turn and I killed his god.

Also if they failed to dislodge me from that throne again I would've won as I was claiming the last one I needed.

what was his god's name? He might've used the same pretender in Early Vanilla

Could also have maybe been one of the defeated guys, who knows.

I don't remember EarlyVanilla TC's bless but I think it was similar. Probably just renamed his pretender but kept the same design

Game: newmaphurtsmyeye
Turn number 2
Next turn due: 22:29 GMT on Friday October 13th

Berytos 2h file received
Hinnom 2h file received
>Helheim Waiting for 2h file
Kailasa 2h file received
Machaka 2h file received
Marverni 2h file received
Mictlan 2h file received
Tir na n'Og 2h file received

Boys I'm totally out of loop, haven't played DOM for months, especially no MP. But now I see that V is coming out? Delayed? Is it November as the Illwinter site says? I'm hyped. Unironically.

New factions?

The post in OP is fake (>Game Desing should have tipped you off)

I believe the new factions are EA Rus (Chud nation), MA Uruk and LA Pelagia

Hah! Well I didn't notice. At least I'm happy its coming. I'm not sure I like the changes, especially with researching only one tree at a time. But I was never that good in IV to begin with. At least V will give me a new reason to get back into the MP again

The research change doesn't change anything but not leaving you with several extra research points or missing your research goal that turn because you sent a single research mage to fight. If you have 300 research points, you can still get Conj 1+Evo 1+Thaum 1+progress to path of your choice in one turn for example.

Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong game, the meme game's two blocks down.

I doubt it, I've seen the exact same pretender in a different game (IchtyidsOP) and he was named SHU 4 LIFE too. Probably a different guy.
Also, Ichtyids TC was Amuys and he's a cool guy.
t. not Amuys

Wasn't amuys ItchyidsOP Ulm and got cucked out of a win even though he was in the lead?

No, I wasn't remotely in a good position

I hope you at least don't get stabbed regularly any more.

t. concerned player of Amuys games

No, Ichtyids Ulm was the same Ulm as in MyLifeIsFallingApart, a new guy AFAIK

Goddammit. I was starting to enjoy thugging my Partholonians, and then this bullshit happens. I thugged Abysia into going AI, and I was breaking into blood. Things were on the up and up.

>tips black steel helmet

bump

Need a 12h extension for DominionsHeroes, pls.

Sure.

How tough are Hoburg Militia indies compared to about half their number in regular Militia/Light Infantry/Archer indies? Looks like they have terrible attacks with terrible damage, but the attack density is a bit worrisome.

Hoburgs are amazing but the militia is probably trash

I better change the password I guess, in case our admin was the badmin.

Anyway postponing to look for sub for R'lyeh. Its EA R'lyeh so its going to be hard but whatever, will try.

Is the iron angel a good thug/SC chassis?

Not particularly, because it lacks magic to self-buff, limiting it to mundane defenses. It can be decent and it's cheap, but it's not a premier chassis either by a long shot.

t. has no idea what a thug is

Speaking of Thugs, rate the thug I never got to use. W9N9 not pictured.

dies instantly to D2D /10

To be fair, the only other nations in that game with D were Riley and TC, none of whom I was at war with, or felt threatened by.

wouldn't this die to banish

it dies to literally anything, d2d is just the easiest. Solar Rays would kill it, incinerate would kill it, enough h1 priests would kill it, enough slings would kill it

Well, it still kicked a good deal of Abysian Ass. I had fun with it, and the brand+shield+ring variants were cheap enough to send in groups of three at a time.

Arco, given the whole throne situation I'd like to mark that as a TNN win on s1w's chart but I wanted your agreement first. I'm also just kind of assuming TC's concession due to the whole god dying thing.

Even if I did lose one of those thrones, I still had another unclaimed one to score off of.

Absolutely haram

and for posterity's sake, since we don't have the game graphs, I suppose the least I can do is show off my shitty pretender build.

It's definitely NOT optimal. water minor bless is hardly worth sacrificing scales for, and while I didn't have that many money troubles during expansion, it was hard to scrounge any up when it came time to build forts and pop mages out of them.

But it was Magic Enhanced and I wanted to try out the hooded spirit. I've never used a teleporting pretender before. I think I actually took the W5 purely to cast Vengeful Water.

But it just goes to show that diplomacy and luck matters more than optimal play in most cases. No one seemed to notice or care when I took two other nations' caps and had half the thrones in the game with little to no contest (Other than C'tis who attacked me for all of one turn, got repelled immediately and started chain-staling.

P.S. F R E E S P A W N E L V E S

what free spawn elves

ME gives a ritual that makes an immoble RoS caster that freespawns elf sacreds, including thugs. It costs less than a troll king

F R E E
S P A W N
E * V E S

Seriously for completely 100% free you get what is essentially a better Nemedian, and Sidhe Lords.

oh i see
memes enhanced

Thanks!

As far as most options for thugs (in the sense of "raiding provinces with low to medium province defence", which I believe is your idea of what a thug is) are concerned, I would consider them a trap option because often times you can accomplish exactly the same thing with regular troops or summons of equal or lower investment, or lose a bit in terms of covering ground but winning big on the battlefield by using said resources in combat.

Iron Angel makes it to workable because it provides strategic mobility Ulm otherwise might not have, but it cannot beat much of anything cost-to-cost without extra investment in kit so they have to stick to grabbing fringe provinces, they come available so late hard that counters (such as Send Horror, luckily for them not quite as prevalent in MA) might be available, and it doesn't scale well into territory of heavy thugs/light SCs because, again, no self-buffing paths. Elves for example are fine because they're your mainstay combat mages anyway, they come available in large quantities very early, and only need an investment of types of gems that cannot easily be put to good use otherwise, while options with slightly higher investment (ones I would call heavy thug or light SC) like wraith lords or ice devils are fine because they CAN beat large numbers of elite troops with little to no extra gear, but I rarely see an unit like Bane Lord being used cost-effectively (relative to pale riders lead by a King for example), and Iron Angels are quite comparable (HP and protection being their only layers of protection),

So it was basically a single player game?

Was this really the best decision, Illwinter?

You do know the fonts can be changed, right?

It's an inelaborate ruse from a novice ruseman

Yeah basically.