arelgee can't into generals edition

>FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>News
PCB 7.0.2 is out and it has nothing interesting in it.
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=124526#post124526

Play the OOOK.CZ comp you casuals
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

Rogue Effect updated to v1.0
now has a save/resume feature
dowhilecompiling.blogspot.com/2017/09/rogue-effect-v10-and-drakefire-chasm.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:

roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-rlgrobin
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
youtube.com/watch?v=TKfS5zVfGBc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fucking shit, I walk away for 20 minutes and you idiots let the thread die.

>tfw too busy mapping to bump

not even halfway to bump limit, good thread as usual tometards
watch /dcss/ hit it as usual

Is English your second language?

isn't roguelike general majority euro
i feel like polskis are overrepresented here for some reason

lmao @ your life rn rlg

Is it? I always figured it was mostly ameritards.
Either way I 100% blame the shitty OP pic which I warned about but some asshole decided to shitpost anyway.

american autists are wealthier so they can play games from the 90s or even the 2000s, sometimes with full color

It's true, I am very wealthy and often play ToME or even ADOM.
Of course I have the dlc

What should I play?

Demon or Sil

A man of taste I see.

>no pouar dda

Ok so what is the optimal sil strategy?
I want to win this game some day, but I'll settle for making it past dlvl 5.

where is a link to the previous thread

The previous was garbo, I decided not to link it.
It's in the archive if you want it badly enough.

Too late, I'm fucking dead.
Way to go jerks, this one's on you.

DCSS noob in Lair right now
Full melee retard
Should I save enchant weapon scrolls for a better weapon or use them on my scimitar of flame

Definitely save them. Scimitars are not the best one handed longswords and flaming drops off in usefulness after you dont need to worry about hydras. Wait for a demon blade/double sword if you use shields. Or a greatsword/triple sword if you dont use shields.

Amulet of the Air or Amulet of Thoughtful Demons?
Fire res 1, SH+3 and reflect seems worse than flying, EV5, projectile thingy, light res and then the hit to accuracy, but not sure.

always use enchant weapon and enchant armour as soon as possible
flame is a good enough brand, maybe rebrand it if you can

don't listen to this 2 int poster

those are randarts. what is "projectile thingy"? you probably want that reflect amulet because inacc is bad

Air.
You can swap if you need rF, otherwise 5EV+RMSL-Inacc is a lot better than 3SH+Reflect (yes, even if you have very high SH otherwise).

Amulet of Air is an unrand and has rMsl.

Are you telling me that you just use weapon enchantment scrolls the second you pick them up no matter what kind of shit you're wielding?

if it is rmsl then that's sort of tempting, maybe keep as a swap

without question, especially pre-lair where +1 means a lot, but even in lair (like that poster) and beyond

i dont really save anything ill use it if i need to not die

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-rlgrobin
Where do I go now
I guess I'm supposed to start getting runes but I've never gone this far before

Nah, you should Enchant aux right away in the order helmet-->boots/gloves-->cloak, but you should think twice about using EA on a body armour or shield unless it's the best option you have and you NEED the extra AC. You can still run into scaling problems in DCSS later on and die through attrition.

For weapons, I would almost never EW something that's not from the following list unless it had elec/pain:
Triple Sword, Greatsword, Double Sword, Demon Blade, Executioner's Axe, Battleaxe, Broad Axe, Bardiche, Glaive, Demon Trident, Giant Spiked Club, Giant Club, Great Mace, Eveningstar, Morningstar, Demon Whip, Lajatang, Triple Crossbow, Arbalest, Longbow.

Note that everything here starts at 13 base damage except for the demon weapons which have better delay than 0.7.
From my experience, this seems to be the base damage value at which you can reasonably dent endgame monster defenses without massive slaying or the like.

>helmet first when two different muts remove it

>helmet-->boots/gloves-->cloak
Note that I'm assuming you don't have any ego items here. Obviously that boots of running or cloak of MR+/Invis is going to be your first EA target.

Just a general guideline I follow.

that is generally bad advice, since there are plenty of ways to deal with issues late game, while you're more vulnerable earlier. for some weapon classes you won't get your endgame weapon until pretty late, if at all
for weapons: in a typical game you have a ton of enchant weapon, so if you end up throwing away your +6 whip/etc in lair (which made pre-lair - where you are most likely to die - WAY easier than keeping it at +1) it's not a big deal since you'll just have a slightly less good weapon in depths, still probably raising it to +9 by zot
for armour: enchanting aux vs regular armour depends on how long you plan on keeping each, but you still want to pick one of them. good aux > good armour > bad aux > bad armour generally. only potential issue is burning a ton on, say, plate armour only to ditch it for GDA/CPA, but heavy melee late game is already not that hard and by then you'll have an evo warstash for anything too deadly so it doesn't matter

That's actually a point worth considering.
Obviously the solution is to whine to the devs to merge hats and helmets and only have antennae/horns 3 bump them off, like other slot muts.

re-reading i guess we're sort of on the same page for armour, but imo the answer to
>you NEED the extra AC
is almost always yes

Hmm, yeah now that I reflect upon it, I often will put some enchant into an early weapon to give me a boost.
A +6 Flaming Scim early and a +6 freezing greatsword later is better than a +3 flaming scim early and a +9 freezing great later.

As for the AC on body armour, I'll have to disagree with you in part. Yes, you need the AC, but there are so many other ways to get that from randarts that I rarely find that I need to enchant a set of completely mundane stuff to have comparable AC to randart gear until I've hit vaults and have my choice of dragon armours and ego plates.

More a matter of "there's little/no advantage in enchanting", I guess.

>this kills the man

I tried, I really tried. But it wasn't enough.

Damn, demon is really interesting.

Now that /rlg/ splatted, could this thread be considered savescumming?

no its just a new run

what race and class would /rlg/ be anyway?

halfling autist

Halfling artificer

draconian dragon dildo transmuter

I love that we all have the same terrible opinion of each other.

>that
>terrible
Terrible would be an elf, furry, subhuman (orc/ogre/troll) or kobold

> hairy, weasely, dirty, manlet with an unhealthy obsession with trinkets and gadgets
> not terrible
Listen, I'm glad you're comfortable in your own skin but some of us play roguelikes because we hate ourselves

tfw roguelikes are one of the few things i enjoy

Play SLEX today! Friday the 13th will enhance the functionality of your wand of wishing!

>functionality
>slex

I'll only play SLEX when Amy posts her tits

LUXZOR indeed

Is it possible to play a caster that's fun?

Yeah.

casting is more fun than melee imo

Why was there no actual shitstorm about PCB 7.0.2? All we managed to do was maybe a shitbreeze, when Chris clearly should be made to bring blue mages and clouded monsters back.

Because we can always play the old versions?

because we have other more competent developers. floatrand save us pls

PCB really doesn't have enough of a player base for a shitstorm to happen, that along with the fact Chris is stuck in the middle ages since he has so little access to the internet.

Don't let Hugo the Chris apologist be the first man to win nightmare mode pcb!
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

Don't let this post bait you into playing 7.00!

>typing in notepad
>clicking on the mozilla shortcut
>clicking on the spotify link
Ugh.

youtube.com/watch?v=TKfS5zVfGBc

>rlg gets back up after dying
/rlg/ not a roguelike confirmed, doesn't even has permadeath

Just new game
Speaking of, what's fun in PosChengband? Thinking about finally getting around to playing it.

Roleplaying as an anime character. Eg, if you want to be naruto play as a ninja .

Tonberry/Demigod/Balrog/Klackon Sorcery Rogue/Psion/Rune Knight/Magic Eater/Mauler/Slingmaster/Ninja
Tonberry can't into mauling though iirc.
Also monster demons/giants of all types, and monster possessors.

>you can play as a dragon
Why didn't I know about this before?!?!

lmao previous thread died at 359 posts
I'm actually sad

page 10 anime bumps are truly the lifeblood of arelgee

EZ dungeon EZ life

Stramming nightmare android skillmaster runesword-wielder in -R 5.0.5

twitch/xxx___nightmare___xxx

My computer is boiling already

So I'm trying to compile crawl following the install instructions, but at the stage of cloning it, msy2 will not let me input my username. Pressing anything except enter does nothing. Any ideas?

I dream in ascii

Still stramming.

twitch tv/xxx___nightmare___xxx

Don't forget, you're here forever. Even if you don't want to be.

I'm playing a sexy android skillmaster with runesword on and dumping all my skillmaster points into melee>swords , that means that even with a 0d0 -10,-10 sword I get 12 damage out of sheer stubborness, and then when I get to level 5 I drop 1 point into good luck.
Sexy has slightlyworse skill apts than lucky, but I aggravate by default in nightmare and I literally can't do damage with the -3 str so that really fucks things up.

I buy really cheap armor and auxes and then a couple tele scrolls if I can, then either pop into stronghold or start killing random townsfolk to get it to an acceptable 20 damage/round, then do thieves and then sell the sword (last time I got a really nice morgul sword I could resell for 3 K!) and buy a rhino armor to get to level 4. Then I do warg and get to levle 5 with the shield, then I start killing things in the really easy vaults of stronghold 1 and hope I don't die to an OOD spawn like .
come watch the thing

nvmind i did it. learned something new today

What a smart cookie.

What I wanna know now is how I make it an exe. Git froze so hard my pc froze like 3 times whole figuring this stuff out so I don't really like it sitting in the background

I have a question about DoomRl. Specifically: what does blocking mean, when traits are blocked? Does it mean you can't invest further, or that they're negated, or what?
Second, what's a fun shotgun build?

Thanks for everyone who passed by, all two of you. We actually got to level 20 before dying horribly.
I'm thinking next time I'll annonce a game I'll
>A)
Do it when the thread's moving a bit more fast
>B)
Actually get a little more into the game before posting the link. Nobody likes watching someone dying while grinding level 5 p's.

Got a lovely screenshot of two orcs behind a novice archer spelling "poo" though. I'll post it later.

If you get certain skills, you can't get others. This is either being unable to get a mastery ability because you took a normal one or being unable to get that normal one because you got the mastery. It means you can't take some super high damage mastery and also all defensive skills and the like.
Dunno, I just play melee nowadays.

So like if I wanted Army of the Dead, I could not take Finesse to get Whizkid?

Darn everything works in Circus Animals just like it did online, except Vine Stalker Lignification. Either they changed it to use its own key and listed said literally nowhere or its just missing entirely. Shame since it was one of the coolest changes. Also for some reason while most races have normal stats vine stalker has 150 (one hundred fifty) magic making it basically immortal. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong with the Vine Stalker during the process.

Yup. If you take it army will be blocked off. If you take army then try to go back for it finesse will be blocked off.

>Decide to try PCB.
>Download the zip and open it.
>Immediately opens a windows explorer page to a link it can't reach, then crashes the winrar browser.
So much for that then.

pcb is a bad game anyways its not fun to play as a giant dragon and have the pitiful peasents bow down to my glory as i smite then and vore them

Fugg.
THanks anyway.
How do you do a fun melee build? I want some variety...
Malicious Blades looks good...

Max brute, tough as nails, get a point or two in berserk and just rush your mastery for whatever class you are playing. The main thing is minimizing being hit and avoiding shotgunners really. Fuck those guys.

Do you have any tips for surviving the early game?

oh, and what assemblies should I use? should I wait for the chainsaw, or upgrade the knife immediately?

y-yeah, that sounds lame.
Haha.

what game?

Always move diagonally because anything that sees you can if they want take a free hit, and this means you may dodge them
Try to fight things around corners always. They have a harder time shooting around them than you and may be dumb enough to get in melee range. Even on a non-melee build the humanoid enemies are far less of a threat in that range than anywhere else as they will try to punch you rather than shoot you
If not doing a melee/shotgun build (melee uses brute, shotguns never miss) always pump accuracy straight away to save yourself a lot of hassle
Always try to be away from barrel explosive range
Unless you are low enough to die in 1 turn, try not to heal with consumables.
Don't worry about wasting armor hp matters more
And try to think of a plan for your guy from the character creation screen. Specifically what mastery you want, wether you plan to use active dodging or just tank hits and relating to that what armor you want to make (there's an inf durability tanky one and a regenerating durability pair of boots for passive/active respectively) and if you need whiz kid or not

Oh you meant specifically for melee? Chainsaw. If you get berserk off you can kill any boss in the game before they kill you with that. Knife can't do that and its a waste of time modding it.

Thank you so much! Thus far, I've only been able to get down to Phobos Anomaly, only to get rekt by the bruiser boys. This was using a scout shotgun build. I've got no idea how to kill them, they always seem to destroy me before I can do anything.

>chainsaw
rad.

I'd say the easiest build to do well on is probably plasma rifle. Very high damage without having to be super close to do it like shotgun/melee or deal with splash damage and for most of the weps constantly reloading like RL. Since you'll be using largely the same skills for Chaingun you can just use it or the assault rife until you get one. Those being +hit or +damage per hit traits and reload. And whatever mastery you want. Being able to use both ammo types and them both being generous ammo types is also nice.