Why didn't George Washington crown himself king?

Why didn't George Washington crown himself king?

He didn't need to. He was George Washing-done

Because he believed in what his men were fighting for.

Cause he opposed that. Think there was a war about it or something. Not too sure my BCE history is bad

Honestly? It's not any meme of selflessness like anons are claiming. It was literally selfishness. He didn't even want to be President. All he wanted was to go home to farm and fuck Martha. The federalization literally drug him kicking and screaming out of retirement.

Because America would have been far weaker as a monarchy and he understood that.

Only Christ is king.

Because he was an awful general.

This. The Americans were so sick of their Nubian Pharaoh masters the very mention of Kings sent them into fits of spastic rage.

A) The other George across the pond ruined monarchy forever by being a retard.
B) He didn't want to rule, knew he'd suck at being a despot. He established a precedent by being pretty hands-off with Congress.
C) Guy actually believed in Enlightenment principles and wanted this new experiment to have a chance.

I really wouldn't call 'not desiring to be a monarch' selfish.

>wanted this new experiment to have a chance

Has it? Was the Revolution, Civil War and Westward expansion worth it?

>

Hmmm...

Having a chance isn't the same thing as succeeding. Any experiment can fail.

even if he wasn't a true idealist of democracy and muh freedoms, he would have known that citizens wouldn't have accepted it.

t. King George

[COLAPSE]

First post best post

Because after spending decades tricking retarded Americans into securing himself as the new elite taking a title like that would only serve get get his head piked.

Because he was a short sighted idiot in addition to be a lousy general.

They weren't fighting for a republic. They the traitors just wanted government more local.

Hardly. People wanted him to be king.

That's because you only see the end and not the intent. He didn't say no to being king out of some selfless ideal of Republicanism. He said no because he just wanted to fuck off and farm. He didn't do it for the fledgling United States. He did it for him.

Cosmetic connection but two very different cases. Cincinnatus stepped down because he believed in the Republic. Washington stepped down because he just wanted to fuck off to Mt. Vernon.

How many of you autists in this thread are Brits or Aussies

Yeah, that worked really well for Julius Caesar.

>Be our king, we love you Caesar!
>n-no, I couldn't
>Please, just put on this crown
>I don't know, that seems wrong...
>Just put on the fucking crown
>OK, fi- *23 knives*

"I did not defeat George III to become George I"

>Guy actually believed in Enlightenment principles
To an extent. He still firmly believed in a select elite of BRITISH HERITAGE being the ruling class.

Because the freemasons wouldn't let him

kys

Washington replied to Hamilton in August 1788 that on the “delicate subject with which you conclude your letter, I can say nothing, because the event alluded to may never happen; and because, in case it should occur, it would be a point of prudence to defer forming one’s ultimate and irrevocable decisions . . . it is my great and sole desire to live and die, in peace and retirement on my own farm.”

On Oct. 3 of that year, Washington wrote again to Hamilton: “I should unfeignedly rejoice, in case the Electors, by giving their votes to another person would save me from the dreaded dilemma of being forced to accept or refuse.

Washington finally wrote that if he were being prevailed upon to accept the appointment, he hoped that at a “convenient and early period, my services might be dispensed with, and that I might be permitted once more to retire–to pass an unclouded evening, after the stormy day of life, in the bosom of domestic tranquility."

Literally just wanted to fuck off. I cannot tell whether this guy was humble as fuck or just was a bit of a recluse.

>Because the freemasons wouldn't let him
Other way around. Even if they were oathbreakers.

Fug I guess that means Augustus must've been assassinated too oh wait

T. furious Anglo monarchist

>I guess that means Augustus must've been assassinated too

No it doesn't. Are you retarded? After Julius Caesar was murdered the public started hated republicans and wanting a dictator again. Being a king or emperor is fine as long as you aren't the first one.

Not furious. Just disappoint. Sad thing in history is that the good guys rarely win, and the stupid ideas are allowed to promulgate.

He just didn't like being president. The office was very different in 1788.

>Literally just wanted to fuck off. I cannot tell whether this guy was humble as fuck or just was a bit of a recluse.

You have to remember that throughout all this time, Washington was working two jobs: His public service, and maintaining his farm. The stress must have been unbelievable.