/arena/ - Arena FPS General

>that feel when you will never be that leather strap
edition.

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

CURRENT Q:C NEWS: Still waiting for the damn hotfix/patch as of 8/14. Some of the things that were supposedly fixed in the last patch actually weren't- surprised? You shouldn't be. Think happy thoughts. Or don't, everything is fucked anyway. If you're thinking lewd thoughts, please write them down to share with the class.

Pastebin with download links for FREE GAMES: pastebin.com/NzQifF9b

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

>(Incomplete) QC custom weapon skin showcase:
my.mixtape.moe/wrrdkk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play QC
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

>October patch notes:
photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8BA5o24yv-F6X-govF7kUIzvbiNJzv2upOBlNNI6aJDhNclKdeNn7UUvzWqdxgA?key=UU1VaWJOZTBQQ0tpZUI0dGZCc1FwYVlnU

Gotta find a slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.humblebundle.com/post/166366386976/humble-bundle-is-joining-forces-with-ign
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm
twitter.com/BethesdaSupport/status/919088854312857600
store.bethsoft.com/brands/quake/quake-champions-mini-coloring-book
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We'll make it, boys. One way or another, we'll make it

>Been here twenty threads- not giving up now.

just doesn't look the same without the piss yellow color

Somebody redpill me on Q2 versus Q3/Q1
I watched the last tastyspleen tournament and a lot of people seem adamant Q2 is the GOAT Quake

It really just seems to me like Q3 with even more busted weapon balance and slightly more trickjumps

muh rails

how is the weapon balance busted when its the only Quake where you use more than 3 weapons? i really wish the rockets were faster but it fills a niche role and makes weapons like the SSG more viable
>slightly more trickjumps
what did he mean by this
quake 3 only has strafe jumping
quake live's double jump already marks a big improvement over 3

>quake 3 only has strafe jumping
Plasma Climbing
Overbouncing

Very prominent in Defrag

anyways to continue you look at a map like the edge, the rage, and chastity belt and it's very acrobatic with lots of jumps and angles that would just never work in VQ3 and some of the ports of these maps are a big example of this
they really have to be simplified and everything made huge compared to Q2 where you have a lot of tight areas with jumps you can do all over

plasma climbing is hardly used aside from maybe ZTN and overbouncing is only really used in defrag
and q2 also has its own set of jump maps which show how acrobatic it can be

I think this is somehow tied with /arena/, especially when Humble Monthly has currently Quake Champions
>blog.humblebundle.com/post/166366386976/humble-bundle-is-joining-forces-with-ign

also forgot to mention a big aspect of Q2 is how control heavy it can be which is a love or hate thing
a big focus is on controlling weapons since they respawn every 30 seconds which is why other weapons like the SSG and hyperblaster (which pierces one level of armor) are really useful when out of control

if anybody has the Quake Champions code from the Humble Bundle and they don't need it ill buy it off you
[email protected]

>>>Ebay
>>>G2A
>>>Kinguin.

>billion
>dollar
>franchise

the only thing broken

is my spirit

people just aren't ready for gender neutral bathrooms and DIVERSITY I guess

It could be worse. We could have Cliffy B in charge of our game.

I bet those gender neutral bathrooms don't even have brush-built toilets.

Where would the DIVERSITY bathrooms be on the QC maps?

Whenever you think QC is dead, think of Lawbreakers

Truly the "at least I'm not Anthony Burch" of FPS

how do I get my quake to look like this? Got the steam version and it's dark/small/15fps animations

Use a sourceport. I recommend Quakespasm if you're playing singleplayer stuff, ezquake/nquake for multiplayer. Don't put both sourceports in the same directory because they won't play nice with each other, make separate folders for each port and just copy the \id1 folder.

You gotta download Quakespasm I think, there's instructions on how to set it up to make your quake look gr8 and play gr8

goodmorning /arena/ how are ya'll doing.

quake 1 port when?

*shivers*

terrible. Servers are offline with no announcements made. Best case scenario they finished the patch early and wanted to release it as soon as possible. Worst case is Zenimax decided to pull the plug.
Probably just someone tripping over the power cord.
r-right?

yeah I just noticed that too, WTF Zenimax/id at least give me a heads up.

Just use a sourceport, ya doof. It's neat that beth/id/saber/whoever managed to make better looking updated enemy models (and pretty darn good weapon models) than 20 years of fan attempts, but I wouldn't want a remake of the whole game.

I thought maybe they were just doing maintenance, but usually there's a quick explanation given before or just after the server outage. On top of that I don't tend to see server maintenance for other games last nearly this long, it's usually over in less than 15min (it's getting close to an hour now).

SERVERS ARE DOWN
POST CUTE GIRLS

So what'll the patch fix this time?
What will it break this time?

nie ukyrwam polskie tłumaczenie brzmi strasznie chujowo

also since something is happening to old mixtape uploads, remove the old showcase from the link in the OP and replace it with this one:
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm
no fucking way in hell I'm rerecording it with updated firing speed for slow weapons, this shit was tedios to create enough as it was

>So what'll the patch fix this time?
It'll fix the current crash issues because they found out that when slash was wearing a specific cosmetic, anarki had a specific shader applied to his nailgun, and sorlag use acid spit and then walk backward for 1 second, left for 2, hop twice and the switch to her shotgun, a random client connected to the server would crash.

>What will it break this time?
With this patch if sorlag has rocket launcher equipped while using acid spit, the game will crash. It will also take them a full month to untangle the massive amount of spaghetti code causing the crash, only for everyone at id to groan in frustration because they will find that some Saber intern didn't bother to properly define the variable that was added to fix the previous crash.

I hope to god I'm wrong

when are they gonna add lewder outfits for the females?

It's minor shit. Basically fixing instability issues the last patch introduced

I haven't gotten crashes in a while, but I know a lot of people get them

>used the green hair undercut Slash skin because why not even though I didn't like it that much
>used the visor cosmetic to cover her eyes because I wanted the Q3A style shades
>decide to go back to her normal face
>don't have the visor for it
>now instead of staring at the blank visor while searching for a match I'm staring at her face
>and into her eyes
>those sharp green eyes
>could fall into them if I'm not careful
>emerald on ivory, glancing around as she twirls and twirls
>don't really want the default shades cosmetic anymore anyway
>just staring into those eyes
>can feel the warp overtaking me
>it is a good pain

>twitter.com/BethesdaSupport/status/919088854312857600
oof... feels slightly better... it's those bittersweet tastes....

wowitsfuckingnothing.jpg

I hope you're coloring in your Quake Champions™ coloring books while waiting for the servers to come back up!

Are there more of these?

store.bethsoft.com/brands/quake/quake-champions-mini-coloring-book

>Bible thumping parents let Jony play a violent game like QC
something doesn't add up here

No, I meant more Jony edits

His name is Johnny and he's going through some hard times right now.

>parents

But Jony's parent is quake.

>october 2018: qc halloween event
>technical issues are resolved
>game is well balanced
>10k player base
>special event skins for everyone
i don't know what i'm more excited for, healthy nuquake or lewd skins
barefeet nyx skin when?

Man, for Blizzard's infinite budget, OW is animated like shit. SHe looks more like she's having a seizure than laughing.

Are servers back up?

Does the Pope shit in the woods?

animations are overdone so you can actually tell whats going on.
If mercy was just smiling a bit and pushin a bit of air our her nose noone would fucking know what she was doing
it also really helps if you have the sounds to go along with the animation

nope, didn't see any updates on twitter but I still tested it just for you user

>If mercy was just smiling a bit and pushin a bit of air our her nose noone would fucking know what she was doing
So what you're saying is Overwatch's players are literally autistic?

this is /arena/
yes

um

When?

Servers are kill for QC, though
Though sub-700 daily peaks are still embarrassing. People were calling Battleborn dead when it was pulling considerably more than that

as long as the skins aren't stupid ass shit like "frankestien ranger" or "zombie galena" then halloween should be pretty cool

>as long as the skins aren't stupid ass shit like "frankestien ranger" or "zombie galena
Can't be any stupider than "Ranger with a Shambler's head fashioned into a mask" or "Doomguy with a Cacodemon hat"

pumpkin head for ranger
witch hat for galena
'trick or treat' sign for niggerki
paper bag mask for slash
cheap looking paper mask for clutch
inflatable hammer for bj
groucho glasses for visor
puppy ears and nose for snorelag (like that dumb instagram filter)
actual astronaut helmet for scarborough
skeletal wings for nyx
toilet paper backpack for doomguy

>paper bag mask for slash
RUDE

Barefoot Nyx and open roller sandals Slash would be great desu

For the life of me I can't understand what footfags see in feet

Friendly reminder for fapfags and seriousfags

I just want the skins to be able to be used year-round, like still being relevant to halloween, but not exclusive to it
also not have them have the tf2 thing where you can only wear them on full moons or halloween
pretty much everything said would be fucking stupid to see any other part of the year

i never understood what grrl was supposed to represent

Maybe a passing reference to "Riot grrl", a feminist movement back in the 90s. The skin itself doesn't have much in common with that though

shes a fucking wookie you morons
animal grr(l)

'grrl' being a combination of 'grr' and 'girl', with 'grr' being a snarl, implying ferocity.

It's basically a pretty shitty pun.

HUH

EEYUMPH

post galena

uNF

*Fires one rocket to end it all*

I hate lockbox and this is one of the many reasons why. Galena shitters go home.

poonyx

eyup

are the servers back up?

>wanting to play during Quakedad Hours
nah mate, just sleep and play in the morning

HURGH

technically. Tried to play a match, found one, "servers are full"

I live in europe so it's 2 PM here
well lets give it a shot than.

servers look like they're up

DOAH

>10 players on the entire planet

good lord imagine being one of the devs, all those long nights creating assets, textures animations etc game goes live and it slides into the abyss within a few weeks, its name will become a punchline like Brink .

Just wondering - getting back into quake... WMO sensor vs 3366 sensor - is it worth the purchase?

apart from max tracking speed, is there any difference? I've heard quite a bit about MLT04 and deadzones etc and how the newer sensors are better but desu i never noticed an improvement when i bought the old zowie FK, and the shitty buttons made me go back to the WMO.

Unfortunately I live in fucking australia so you can't return anything once you open it so I really need to research what mice might be appropriate.

lock box is the reason we need GL back

Never used the WMO, but I'm temporarily using the G400s, which uses the S3095 sensor, while waiting for my replacement G403 to arrive. So far I haven't been able to make it spin out and I can't tell the difference sensor-wise. If you've got crazy flicks that sometimes don't register, you might want to upgrade.

Otherwise, it's mostly ergonomics, additional buttons and quality of life stuff.

Oscar the grouch Tardbearer
T-9000 Clutch
Slave Leia Galena (call it empress Galena or something)
Countess Dracula Nyx
Ghost Sorlag (She wears a bed sheet with two eye-holes cut in it, not my idea another user's from a while ago)
Naughty Nun Hunter
Catwoman Slash or Frankenstein's bride Slash
Boogeyman Ranger
Normal Visor (pre-whatever the fuck operation they did to make him murder-slav-bot)
SS officer BJ
Aristocrat Anarki

Does the ghost have a tail OwO

Of course her tail sticks out from the sheet it would be so fucking adorable

New idea: Driftking Tardbearer he is wearing a cardboard box that looks like Toyota AE86, and makes car noises when he charges

You still play this dogshit game?

>forbidden
holy fucking
shit what this game has come to

>paying money for this shit

I don't think many people have realized the humble bundle deal is not the same package that is being sold over Steam.

Holy shit.