/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Multithreading edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

reposting cuz I didn't get an answer

in the dfhack labor menu, can I select all dwarves and enable a labor for all of them? Because even with all of them selected, selecting a labor just toggles it for one of them

bump

Looks like a cave in didn't destroy the stairs. Guess I'm going to have to do this the hard way.

>using dfhack

the added searching in lists is great

I jave an answer for you, but unfortunately I can't remember the same. There were two tools i used for DF:
>dfhack
>Some dwarf management program with a nice gui and everything. It let you choose jobs for many at once, as well as making templates.

You mean the rapist?

it's really annoying to have to alt-tab to The Rapist every time I want to modify labors, plus the vertical placement of the labors is moronic

What's in the pot

dwarven foreskins

nice

Why is the construction system so ASS?
Why can't we just designate the walls and stairs and materials beforehand, and have dwarves build when they become accessible and pathable?

the other pot is empty.

NO STOP!

i want to fuck an elf

tourney final when

The rotated labor names was extra dumbfuckery.

I want to put my dick in toady

What if Toady dies before he can release the update?

What if you die before you can play it?

What if Toady lives before he can release the update?

pls dont frighten me like that, I scare easy

>Swooosh Swooosh Swooosh....Kra Kra!
>Screaming and cursing followed by wailing.

Thats all it takes for a Roc to swoop down an snatch your legendary fisher or worse...farmer.
We understand that losing you dwarfs to oversized birds is a annoying business and all respective lords would naturally want to protect their more skilled labor stock from the fell beasts of the wild.
After several failed expeditions to study the Roc and Kea menace we have finally managed to find the perfect solution.
By installing our SkeloDiversion boxes strategically around your surface arena of your fort, you can give your dorf a fleeing chance while our Skeltons clad in dwarven skin runs willy nilly on the surface distracting the Roc.
The system has a 78% success chance and is gradually updated as our understanding of dwarven skin and biology improves.
Its all bulit around a magic orb that is activated by pulling the lever, this will automatically infuse the slumbering skeleton with a massive amount of necrotic energy springing it into action immediate. it will run wild for over an entire day and surly cause the Roc a great deal of confusion or missed opportunity to snatch your dorf.
Buy it today and get the loony Elf merchants skin pack for free, offer ends at midnight so strike while the sky is clear.
We offer a one year system maintenance and updates for free and can guarantee its performance will never falter.

>due to the massive influx of directly infused magic into the Skeleton its a small chance it will go amok and rather than running go on a rampage also a tiny chance of the orb blowing up, this could potentially kill the Roc and also might raise it as a undead due to excessive necrotic energy.
Remote lever is bought separately.

What civ are you going to liberate of shiny things first?
Im probably gonna go for a Kobold site, get back at them for all the times they've stolen my stuff

The game really needs a more compressed way to dump corpses and remains. a mangled hand shouldn't take a whole tile, and using quantum dumps feels like cheating.

I'm barely into my first year and I've been acosted by a weretapir with no military or defences

>made adventurer
>finally made it to my old retired fort
>2 fps
>slowly, slowly move around the fort and pick up supplies
>get decked out in steel armor
>leave the fort
>Game crashes
fucc

Wait until it transforms back

Wait, so do Bear Men and Toad Men count as civilized/craftable, or not?

>first time penetrating aquifer
>have legendary miner channel out last piece of floor
>falls into water, gets knocked unconscious and drowns
>make memorial for her, including statues of her
I was upset that I lost her pickaxe
>later on, notice layer under aquifer needs rooms because I obviously can't aquifer very well
>flood next two layers of fort
>manage to open a channel into the caves while I desperately try to wall off the section flooding in
>weregiraffe attacks and I have no military yet
>presumably gets away after killing 2 in my militia
The section is walled off now and the lower level is draining into the caverns, but lots of my industry was in that bottom layer. I'm just watching these stockpiles wash into the caverns while it drains. I think that layer might become a memorial to the flood and a bunch of tombs/gardens/dorf only taverns. It's only 2 years into my fort and I'm getting migrants like crazy already, haven't gone below the caverns to get metals yet, and it's been really Fun.

the tapir killed like 6 of my fucking dwarves before it reverted to goblin form

thank you to my maceman for ignoring my kill order and drinking instead

Oh, I forgot about my migrant glassmaker that just went insane because I have no accessible supplies. She's locked in a room, berserk, and awaiting starvation.

Dorfs gotta drink. My militia were getting decimated by that weregiraffe and it transformed into a goblin before I noticed. I think it was one of the travelers at my tavern, but there's no more goblins.

If it has [CAN_SPEAK], [CAN_LEARN], or [INTELLIGENT] then you can't create anything from their remains.

How do you have a legendary miner before penetrating the aquifer? Something smells fishy here...

It doesn't take long when she's doing all the mining and had points in it to begin with.

autism incoming
-------------------------

It is the 180th year in the Age of Tuelin. The legends of old have faded into myth as the dragons are all but extinct, save one, and it continues to terrorize the land of Atreus.

The first unified empire of the various local human tribes has grown in power exponentially throughout the last two centuries. The current emperor, Forais Roranendaldt, has ruled for 35 years, after the last emperor abandoned the throne in his quest for immortality. Intriguingly enough, the eldest son of the last emperor, upon being taken as a young child by hostile dwarves, has grown up to be the self proclaimed "Emperor" of the Dwarves. For twenty years, he has ruled The Ivory Standards with an iron fist, maintained the old alliances with goblinkind, his eye fixated on the rightful lands that were taken from him.

Also, she may not have quite been legendary, but she was pretty close regardless. I'm not at my laptop right now. In any case, my other dorfs were busy building the tavern and starting farms/carpentry/chopping down the forest.

Another fun fact I almost forgot, his mother.

Oh and on top of that, that imperial he killed was his own brother. Okay I'll shut up now.

Well, can owl men and crocodile women speak? I'm just trying to separate craftable remains from non-craftable, and I notice the "refuse" corpse section is full of animal men.

all animal people have the same tokens

And those are...?

just look it up in the raws, I don't have it memorised. point is, they all count as sentient.

>point is, they all count as sentient.
Fuck. So the remains/corpse divide is literally useless.

I guess it's okay as long as I don't go to war with animal people though, but either the stockpile options or the ability to craft out of sentient bones needs to be changed.

not really. you can still butcher corpses of ordinary animals.

But not those of animal people, which are grouped under "corpses" in the refuse section, not in the corspes section.

Someone in my brand new hospital turned into a weretapir. I guess I missed them getting bit. They killed half the fort.

you said that the divide between remains and corpses was useless, but it's not. they're fundamentally different things.

>remains
dead vermin. these can't be used for anything.

>corpses
dead creatures that aren't vermin. these can be butchered as long as they don't come from sentient creatures.

That's more of a medical centre than a hospital, desu. Also, congratulations on your great taste in tilesets.

Yeah, my bad. I meant refuse corpses and corpses.

Yeah, but how many survivors got bitten?
>So many fight reports that earlier ones from the same event show "no recent reports"
Have fun trying to figure it out.

I've seen others create separate rooms and door off the hospital into wings using bridges. You can create a lockdown lever that will effectively encase creatures and minimize damage until they revert. Extra points if you can flood each wing separately.

sed s/sentient/sapient

decay

So, how exactly does making instruments work? I find options like "Make draru bells" or whatever, but how do I know how many and what kind of components a draru needs?
And also, is there any way to attract more people to your taverns except just making it bigger and better stocked?

It's a mess. Go to a craft shop, choose "make instrument", and you can see which instruments are available to you to make. These will include descriptions of what the instruments are and what parts they have. Those parts have to be crafted at different stations usually, so it's best to just go to work orders, type the name of the instrument and que jobs to craft all the parts that show up, and also one to assemble.

I dont even bother making the fucking things, just acquire them from traders

can someone explain to me why "Cheese (plant)" is a category when such a thing doesn't even exist?

Just wait until toady implements tofu

What tileset is that?

It's possible to mod it in, so there's a category for it.

CLA

Material wise, are some craft labors better than others for training craftsmen? I have no shortage of wood but I'd prefer to make coal with it, that said I still want to train a woodcrafter and a carpenter.

Realistically, how many steelclad legendary dwarves do I need to clear out hell with no traps, siege engines and clever tricks, only blood, sweat and dwarven steel?

r8 first fort
its been almost two years

>clear out hell
A few hundred at least.
>beat the first wave and mess around for a bit before sealing it back up
Like fifty.

Rather low on booze, aren't you? And what's the story behind the single swords-dwarf?

depends on which demons there are. the demons themselves are usually pretty weak, but they often have broken and overpowered interactions, like fire breathing and web using.

for clarity, I should also say that there is no way to "clear out" hell completely, as the demons are infinite. you can, however, kill the invasion wave and then call it a victory.

needs more military

make something out of those seeds that's a god damn embarrassment

show artifacts

show bedroom layout

Thirsty/10. Build a still you fuck.
What are the 24 animals?

Hell isn't "clearable". There are an infinite number of demons. What IS possible is to send out enough dwarves and maintain a deadly enough presence in hell that you can wall off the map edges, preventing any other demons appearing.

Wasn't there a bug where wildlife "ran out" after a few dozen years?
You could probably trigger it in the underworld if it wasn't fixed yet.

Any way to make this game not impossible for a beginner?

It's not impossible. Installing a graphics pack may help. Also, use the Dwarf Therapist.

What's giving you trouble my friend

The UI mostly :/ Feels like a labyrinth

trust me, once you get the basics down it's not so bad.

Don't listen to . A new update is about to be released, and you don't want to be one of the faggots crying "Therapist when??" when it takes a month to update.
Be a man, use v-p-l.

Use the lazy newb pack, watch captnduck on YouTube.

>Taking pride in doing things the stupid, cumbersome way that offers no benefits.
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I had a dwarf go stark raving mad due to being extremely drowsy in her left foot. No idea why she wouldn't sleep in one of the dormitories available. She was a tavern keeper. Any ideas?

Don't feel too bad bro. Werebeasts are really the biggest noob killer in the game, you can consider yourself past noobiness once you figure out the appropriate defense against them.
Hint: learn patrol orders.

I don't even bother storing the fucking things, nobody will use them regardless.

That's not a bug and hell intentionally ignores that mechanic. Ordinary wildlife populations in the area surrounding your fortress are numbered, meaning limited. In the case of hell, demons are literally unnumbered, meaning unlimited.

>no benefits
Being able to play new versions on day 1 without crying like a baby is beneficial enough.
I don't care what you do with your game, but the shitposting around 43.04 release made me sour toward rapistfags.

Raids will be the new endgame, anons. I am so fucking hype. I will conquer everything and everyone

Huh, so that's what the "Unnumbered" in world_sites_and_population.txt means. Always thought it was just there to make hell seem cooler.

Not being able to and not wanting to are not the same thing. I played without therapist for a long time, and I wouldn't go back dead.

v p l is fast and easy though. If you prefer clicking around in a spreadsheet that's fine, it's your game to play as you like, but your argument is false.

It's fast and easy to activate and deactivate jobs, on ONE dwarf. It's a pain in the ass to organize and keep track or change jobs on multiple dwarves.

>extremely drowsy in her left foot
Hey, if you were forced to keep serving booze all day while your foot was asleep, wouldn't you be pissed?

You're describing your own inadequacy and blaming the game mechanics for failing to accommodate it. You being bad at something doesn't make the thing bad. But feel free to keep defending your training wheels.

>Can't change jobs of multiple dwarves at once
>Can't see job spread on multiple dwarves

Yes, this is the PLAYER'S fault, not the shitty UI.

Am I blind or is it impossible to trade furniture?

>Can't change jobs of multiple dwarves at once
Still fast and easy with v p l. If you need to do a mass labor reassignment and spending two minutes cycling through your dwarves is too much effort for you, then you may be playing the wrong game.
>Can't see job spread on multiple dwarves
"I can't remember my own labor assignments"

I better not hear any complaints about the rapist being out of date when we get the artifact release.

Rapist isn't perfect, dfhack manager isn't perfect either, but there's no downside to their use. u-z-p-l is functional for me most of the time regardless, but for mass changes/data viewing, another ui is better.