What are some cons of working in the skilled trades? More specifically electrical?

What are some cons of working in the skilled trades? More specifically electrical?
Is the skilled trades a meme? In Ontario the government has been pushing this meme of skilled trade shortages into schools for a while now. Is there any truth to this?

The whole point of trades is that you build a network of friends in different trades so you can get your own stuff done cheap/beer

Fucks up your back/knees. No opportunities for creativity. No opportunities to be with smart and rich people.

you don't have a lot of unpaid college debt?

You get to worry about having a job always.

Wew, get into any hydro/power corp as a lineman and you will be making bank large. Unionized so you don't have to get electrocuted if you don't want to. The only "school" you need is what can get you into lineman school where you will actually get paid, 50k a year to start apprenticeship. If I was a young man and doing it all over again...

CODEPENCE IS WHITE TRASH

>Implying you cant finish an apprenticeship and go back to uni to do an engineering degree

Jobs are a meme. Even the people that that walk around saying how much they love their jobs are really just trying to save enough money to be neet.

It's all a joke.

you're going to get electrocuted because someone said it was disconnected but it isn't user...that shit it 1.2kv...dont trust anyone

I actually never heard of this, I was thinking of becoming an electrician more specifically, how do you get into lineman school?

why not just go to school immediately then

The trades pays well and you can go back to school actually able to afford it while also having years of practical knowledge of the subject you studied may make you more appealing in the eyes of companies,

>Unionized so you don't have to get electrocuted if you don't want to
kek

If you dont know anyone in a union you'll be an apprentice monkey for years and years on end

Pros: Better than wageslaving in a cubicle
Cons: You'll never be rich and you'll work until you're old.

Personally, I have an enterprise software company myself. Given my experience I can always find a wageslave job if I'm not a millionaire/billionaire by the time I'm 30.

>Never be Rich
A large percentage of millionaires are skilled tradesmen. Everyone I know in a trade is better off than your typical cubical cuck.

Are you pulling these stats out of your ass? I want this to be true so bad.

Your body will get fucked up. I get sick a lot more easier now that I work in construction. I literally come home and have to lay down in bed to recover. Pay is above average. Benefits are great. Sometimes job stability isn't that great, and overtime is near non existent. My advice is to stay in school and let someone else do this job.

t. carpenters apprentice with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice

skilled jobs are always in high demand. but its even better to have your own business. learn the skill then open your own business

Yeah that's where the nepotism comes in, if you can squeeze in through a crack...just start monitoring your utilities career page and see what they want for 1st year apprentice. You might need nothing more than high school but everything helps. Taking a 2 or 3 year electrical program would be better knowledge wise and open doors to regular electrician. Electricity is fucking dangerous and you can't see it, that's the con. I went into puters myself, 5V DC, you can only feel that by attaching the electrodes to your tongue.

its true only for shop owners

look into what small hvac shops are doing in places like florida

when peoples shit goes out in their house down there theyll pay whatever to have someone who can come out immediately

Why not do the job and then go back to school?

>re you pulling these stats out of your ass
it does happen. If you start when you are 18, 20 years later you can open your own shop, if you are successful enough you can get there. Just don't be a brainlet or kill yourself brain with drugs and booze like a lot of trades do

I'm quitting electrical and going to nursing school.

My father is a skilled tradesman making ~400K a year employing others. I know enough about the industry to tell you that the amount of people clearing 1M in revenue much less profit are rare cases.

Don't let survivorship bias and cloud your judgement and drive you into mediocrity. A low five figure a year job with a small chance of making six figures and a smaller chance of making seven is not a gamble I would wish upon anyone who decides to dedicate their lives to it.

In my opinion devoting your time to build a valuable company in the most competitive and innovative fields is a better use of your time. In the worst case scenario, your companies don't take off and you have a skillset which will easily land you a high five figure/low six figure job. In the best case scenario, you become a billionaire.

Looking at my dad's success in the trades as well as multimillionaires he worked with has led me far away from that path. Even the most successful in the trades are in their 50s/60s, constantly working, unable to replace themselves, married to their jobs, too specialized to delegate their work. If you've read the Millionaire Fastlane, the low six figure earners are technicians and those who break out of that trap find themselves unable to scale without sacrifice. They grow slowly due to the cyclical nature of some of these specialized niches that made them competitive.

Whether trades is right for you depends on what you want in life. Do some analysis of your field. Look at the top local guys and see what path they took to get there and the challenges they face. Would you want to be in their shoes?

Why? Was it the money, work , or just personal reasons?

I don't plan on the trades being my lifetime career, its appeal to me is the pay . I plan to use the money accumulated to go back to school and or start my own business which may or may not be trade related.

Cons are its a field riddled with boomers