itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17
> Current Mecha Jam
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: (Cross-thread)
Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/PAX2PvrV (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MixfsYOrSk8
youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7mISvVzJk
youtube.com/watch?v=2Ccia9LoUJo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Low poly models themselves are only as good as the texturing.

What engine do you use?

What discord is that? Is that the one with the crazy women?

any suggestion to my model?

Remove all the classes and put everything inside the Player class

Here's how the flame looks in action

make something better, create a double sided geometry (or material) and add cutout to the frontal faces and back faces full color so you can watch the flame in every angle and has the little overlay it has over it.

Looks like I'll have a crack then

I could just add some more holes.

I'm just not feeling it with this one, lads. It should look glittery and sparkly enough on a real console, which was my main criterion, so I'll probably stitch her up quickly and call it a day.

Not that I have any way to check it on a real console, which is kinda important because the vector generator can potentially burn the screen. Guess I'll have to add an "emulator-only" warning label until I can test it on a console myself.

best engine for multiplayer games?
think 2d league of leagends

pixel isometric league of legends with qt girls

fresh progress

i hope you have some way of getting data back from players to see where they get stuck on these sorts of things. its probably really helpful

Added hitsparks to Rapid and Spread. Just how assy are they?

your game has waifus?

Jesus Christ, that's a massive fucking head in the window

that's pretty ni
>face behind window
fuck off

They look good. Much better than the rixels you got going on

Keep up the progress, yesdevs!

YES. WE. CAN.

Thanks, rixels are love.

no, I don't think so

I mean rixels aren't a huge issue, especially early in development. But Monolith already set the standard for 360 rotating spaceships to not have rixels, so I'll keep bringing it up probably. But the hit effect is good

Retard

I've got few totally casual friends to fix most obvious things plus each demo got me pages of feedback and I had a chance to watch people play my game at tokyo game show and see what solutions work and what don't.
what game doesn't
apartment picture is modular and will change depending on progress, current DOOM, curses, injuries and monsters following you home

Nice, can't wait to play the next demo. Will you be in DD17?

show waifu we rate her

I'm used to getting shit about it, but it's not time I can afford, and I don't think I will ever be able to afford it in the timeframe I set out for myself. To be honest, I don't even think it looks bad enough to worry about.

Okay, it's good to hear you've thought about it and made a decision for the overall sake of your game. Thanks for humoring me

Sorry if this question seems retarded but how do you actually make sprites scale and keep their positions when you change aspect ratios similar to canvases do in unity?

>Will you be in DD17?
nah, WOH will be showcased during Fantasic Arcade in Austin, Texas in November and I'll make the special demo available so you'll be able to check it yourself
pick your poison

It's not a problem, if someone is being serious about a topic, I'll answer it seriously. Back to dev, missiles are next.

>showcased during Fantastic Arcade
Are you flying there yourself, or do you have friends who can show it off for you? All the traveling youre doing sounds costly, but a good investment

what happened to the injured one?

where's this from

No idea, really. Person organizing Fantastic Arcade asked if they can show my game during the event. I already had a visitor-friendly demo from tgs anyway
freaky accident

right-click -> "search google for image"

>using SmoothDamp on a target position that changes by 200 units every single frame
>wow why does it jitter

do you even know how smooth damp works? what a retarded idea

no, at least she end like Hanako?

*every second not frame

>yfw no ghost gf

What program do you recommend for creating spritesheets?

Here. The simplest way to reproduce. No scripts controlling the rigidbody, just the camera following it.
The SmoothDamp is there to showcase the jitter, if you just put a camera as a child, you won't see any jitter without an environment, since the camera jitters with the object.

frametime = fps

Doesnt look like flame I dont know why

What's the best engine for a 2D RPG that's going to prioritize the story elements? I'm not an artist, programmer or composer by trade.

>(embed)
>wrong previous OP
>(Cross-thread)
>(embed)
>(embed)

Well, you tried, I guess.
At least you kept the shitposting to the edition

Previous Thread:

What's the 2nd one in the top row doing? Dancing? Jogging?

>2d rpg
rpgmaker

What time does recapbro normally post the recap?

Free tip for people learning sculpting:

youtube.com/watch?v=MixfsYOrSk8

sorry

I've spent some time with it but I don't want a turn-based system. I know I can change it with some work but I don't want to spend the effort if everyone will just dismiss me as an RPGMaker faggot and not respect me or my project because of the engine it was built off of (which is fucking retarded but that's how elitist fags operate mentally)

Like isn't RM banned from /agdg/ jams?

smooth damp is like a spring mate, it's being stretched and reset as your object moves at half of mach 1 - you need to come up with a different smoothing method

>Like isn't RM banned from /agdg/ jams?
What

First for Godot is ass and no serious game dev should ever use it if they want to ever complete a game that is worthy of playing.

>not knowing how to model anime hair

youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7mISvVzJk

You'll do better next time
I believe in you

I thought it was. In all the OPs the only "engines" ever listed are GameMaker, Unity, UE4 and now Godot

It's not because of the smooth damp. Smooth damp just slowly moves the camera towards the target.
If a jitter happens, the camera wont jitter with the target. That's the whole point of using it.
If you add a camera as a child of the object or make it update to the object's position, the object will stay still on the screen because the camera will jitter with it.
And if that happens, if you have a map, the map/enviroment on the screen will appear to jitter while the object will stay still.
But because in our simple example we don't have a surrounding environment, it's easier to use a smooth damp to showcase how jittery the object is.
And no. Its not because of interpolation. Webm related.

That doesn't mean other engines are illegal.

You probably will get mocked for using RPGmaker. But if it's really the tool that's most suited to the game you're making, use it.

Made a drill helmet and you can drill upwards or downwards with left/right click. You can destroy enemies or objects and get a small force boost when doing so. You can also "jackhammer" to break tough objects, its supposed to be like breaking boulders with the Banjo Tooie Bill Drill. And you can dig up/down through dirt "blocks" (thats what the simple brown looking cubes are supposed to be).

Obviously sparks particles don't look right when digging in the dirt, I gotta get different particles for that. The look of the helmet is a prototype, suggestions welcome on how to improve it. I didn't make the rock FYI its just a default UE4 rock. It does look nice though!

>it's not because of the smooth damp

really makes you think

>SmoothDamp 0.02f
>0.02f
i have never used smoothdamp with a number that low. why are you doing this?

stealing ideas from mario galaxy 2

here's how much your camera is moving per frame when it's smooth damp following an object moving half the speed of mach 1; in what scenario do you think moving between 1 to 5 metres every frame is going to create smooth movement?

I've been seeing your progress. looking good so far. Definitely looks more promising than the jester game. So will the player be able to swap between the different heads at any time? Or does the player need to equip them from somewhere

ttgl game?

Looks great user. Looking forward to when you tie it all together.

isn't there another thread for rpg maker devs tho?

Help :3

How do I stop being a nodev.

Now show us sand in the ground, and how the camera works there.

Just like make game

>Everyone is making their games way faster than me
slow down geez
think of my ego for once

stop being lazy

i'd still use it since it has all the resources you're lacking and you can showcase your storytelling ability more easily with everything else out of the way. it may be a bad compromise, but i'll also suggest rpgmaker's free counterpart, wolf rpg editor. it has pretty much all of rpgmaker's functionality without carrying the brand with it. if you're lazy though, it will still seem very similar to an rpgmaker game. but if you put in enough work, it can look like:
youtube.com/watch?v=2Ccia9LoUJo
however wolf rpg editor was originally in japanese and only has a fan-translated version of it, so i can't testify how stable it will be for your development.

You were right. It's the camera. I tried moving it with a constant velocity independent of the object and no jitter.

cant be worst than me, have some intras this week and my progress is almost nonexistent

More or less, but I don't want this game to play like Galaxy. It should be like Mario 64 / Banjo.
At first I wanted one helmet confined to one level, but now I think a more open interconnected level setup would fit the game better. If I do that I will make it easy to swap helmets. Otherwise we'll reach DK64 levels of tedium and I don't want that.
?
I know what you mean. Right now its just a bunch of random bullshit but I'll tie it together when more things are in place. I tried putting things together earlier in development and it didn't work. Its not time yet.
Ooooh you mean like a level transition where you can go underground? I thought of something like that, would probably be the best use of the helmet. Will take some work.

ttgl is ttgl

replace it with animation-event and volume intersection event

Well more like there's sand in the ground, and something below it, so you need to properly move the camera down below the ground to see it.

>It should be like Mario 64 / Banjo.
So you're after a sunshine/64/odyssey style?

glad you got it sorted user, godspeed

now you'll get to really experience the bugs in Unity physics

Let me tell you this -- /agdg/'s Discord is one of the most malevolent, cruel, coldhearted online communities you'll ever find, and even as a supporter of free speech it appalls me that /agdg/'s thread would allow such a vile, festering hub of bigotry and sadism to exist. You think the IRC was bad? That Discord server, if you pick up on the dog-whistles (and many don't even bother with that -- say want you want about Stormfront, at least it bans the n-word), will reveal itself to you as Veeky Forums's number one hub for the web's most hardened Nodevs, Traps, Nazis and Gamergaters. You'll notice on the #readme that it encourages members to be as dramatic as possible. That's intentional. They encourage arguments in every channel and in the thread. That's intentional. You know the Three Minute Hate (it's from this underrated book 1985, give it a read, it's scary how much it parallels our society)? It's like that, they want to stoke the flames of reactionary rage and nodevness so they continue to dogpile every yesdev and new member who enters the server and the thread, normalizing these evil feelings. They brigade from thread to thread, having an entire cabal of mods spamming worms, calling people's girlfriends "molerats", spamming "glug glug, clink clink", all in the name of "fun". They've bullied hundreds of devs too, some even... to death. I fear that /agdg/'s Discord may be producing an entire army of googums and BokuDevs, and I highly suggest that nobody dares visit that horrible server, lest you potentially fall victim to its corruptive aura.

frametime * fps

Get a vertical slice together.

I'm enjoying this pasta. The "1985" line is a particularly good one.

now I want to join the discord if this is true but im a dumb nodev

frametime * fps * time

>wake up early to DEV
>piss about
>oh shit it's normal waking time
>too fucked the rest of day to dev
That went well.

>wake up late to DEV
>masturbate 3 times
>go back to bed because im exhausted
>get up again a few hours later
>dick around on Veeky Forums
>hours go by
>it's getting light outside
>go back to bed
my motivation is at an alltime low

>wake up early to bed
>go to /agdg/ thread
>shit are 10:00 PM
>go to sleep
>repeat

help

i love this

This is clearly best girl by a large powergap

>AAA slave
>been having indie dreams for 10+ years
I will soon be free. I swear this to you. I SWEAR IT.

what's your game old man?

Let's switch places!