Since it isn't talked about much

Let's talk about this place.

only significant because hitler was thinking about sending the jews there

I always conquer it first in Vicky 2

It was a funny movie can't wait for more. I like the lemurs

indonesians sailed there all the way from southeast asia somehow in 7th century

which means had to have sailed from Maldives to do so, that would mean they were sailing blind to Madagascar and the East African coast or they hugged Asia and Africa against the currents to reach Madagascar.

Anything directly from Malaysia would have been death, way too long.

It's so weird how these mixed austronesian-Melanesians did so well, it kinda makes you realize sea travelling wasn't as hard as people make you think

Your laughing now, but when the Great Plague returns to cleanse the land, guess who will still be here to rebuild civilization.

...who? the jews?

It looks like a ship

Nice reference. I forgot that little game even existed.

>Mad A Gas Car

What did they mean by this?

Didn't they have a kingdom or something? I vaguely remember reading about their kingdom getting rekt'd by some French foreign legion legionaries.

Florida? Why would you want to talk about that shit hole? Hope it fuckin sink DESU senpai.

This is either bait, or genuine retardation.

Either way, here's your (you)

stupid jokes =/= bait or genuine stupidity

Incredible how they can do that but people couldn't get to Sardinia from Sicily until the renaissance.

I know they had a queen who was a bloodthirsty tyrant or nationalist hero defending her people from European colonial powers?

Their women are cute.

>By the turn of the 19th century, King Andrianampoinimerina had reunited the highly populous Kingdom of Imerina, located in the central highlands with its capital at Antananarivo. His son, Radama I, began to exert its authority over the island's other polities and was the first Malagasy sovereign to be recognized by a foreign power as the ruler of the greater Merina Kingdom. Over the 19th century, a series of Merina monarchs engaged in the process of modernization through close diplomatic ties to Britain that led to the establishment of European-style schools, government institutions and infrastructure. Christianity, introduced by members of the London Missionary Society, was made the state religion under Queen Ranavalona II and her prime minister, highly influential statesman Rainilaiarivony. Political wrangling between Britain and France in the 1880s saw Britain recognize France's claim to authority on the island, leading in 1890 to the Malagasy Protectorate, which was unrecognized by the government of Madagascar. The French launched two military campaigns known as the Franco-Hova Wars to force submission, finally capturing the capital in September 1895. This sparked the widespread Menalamba rebellion against French rule that was crushed in 1897; the monarchy was held responsible and dissolved, and the queen and her entourage exiled to Reunion and later Algeria, where she died in 1917.
Seriously France what the fuck.

*cough*

Some pictures published in 1885.

A coastal village

This one's from the mid-19th century.

I read somewhere that the only negroid inhabitants are the descendants of slaves brought by Arabs. Is that true?

#Justcolonythings

Bantus arrived starting around the 6th-7th centuries and many were probably Swahilis. Slaves might have been a part of it.

How did they arrive?

Boats.

There is archaeological evidence that Bantu peoples, agro-pastoralists from East Africa, may have begun migrating to the island as early as the 6th and 7th century.[34] Other historical and archaeological records suggest that some of the Bantus were descendants of Swahili sailors and merchants who used dhows to traverse the seas to the western shores of Madagascar.[44] Finally some sources theorize that during the Middle Ages, Arab, Persian and Neo-Austronesian slave-traders[32] brought Bantu people to Madagascar transported by Swahili merchants to feed foreign demand for slaves.[45] Years of intermarriages created the Malagasy people, who primarily speak Malagasy, an Austronesian language with Bantu influences.[46] There are consequently many (Proto-)Swahili borrowings in the initial Proto-SEB Malagasy language.[47] This substratum is especially significantly present in the domestic and agricultural vocabulary (e.g. omby or aombe, "beef", from Swahili ng'ombe; tongolo "onion" from Swahili kitunguu; Malagasy nongo "pot" from nunggu in Swahili[11]).

>7th century
no. people from borneo have been on madagascar for at least 2200 - 4000 years. they almost certainly made the trip blindly through the indian ocean with supplies, because they left no genetic traces elsewhere. the 7th century is when arab traders began arriving and recording the place, and "coincedentally", an increase in technology occurred and they began a more agriculturally centered lifestyle. niggers started showing up sometime around then as well.