Lets say im 25 and i want to start buying gold as my retirement fund, is this a stupid idea...

Lets say im 25 and i want to start buying gold as my retirement fund, is this a stupid idea? should i put money into some kind of investment instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ADtwpTbGF0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's fine.
a house is better.
an index fund is better than that.
a retirement account hooked to an index fund is the best.

gold keeps up with inflation
so does a house after tax deductions
an index fund beats inflation
an index fund retirement contribution beats inflation and cuts taxes.

buy crypto bullion.. best of both worlds

Crypto my friend, it's the future. Buying gold is okay too. Remember about diversifying your investments.
>Vaultoro.com, for buying gold with btc

Saving up money and saving up gold would be the exact same because the price of money is relative to the price of gold

This is wrong. Money and gold have an inverse relationship: a strong dollar will make gold fall and vice-versa.

As for OP, it's fine to put a small amount of your net worth into gold as a hedge (~2-5%), but you are correct in that it's not an investment.

My opinion would be, that it's worth keeping your wealth in precious metals if it is risky that your (in most cases - small) econony might get to a bust, or your present currency might crash (euro is gonna die soon, people say).

Short to medium term I have no problem with gold. I have like 1.5 oz of it that I'm just hanging on to. I also have like $900 of silver.

Be careful about holding all gold for like 50 years though. Things could get weird in the long long term.

You have to worry about asteroid mining.

Other things could come into play to. If cold fusion is perfected people would have enough energy to extract insane amounts gold from the oceans. There's also rumors that the government is guarding massive gold deposits in the Grand Canyon among other places.

Anyway, diversify.

I didn't even take science fiction scenarios into account!

gold is moving against the market index funds moves with the market.

buy ether you dumb cuck

We appear to be entering a race to the bottom of the current fiat system
Holding a stake in metals and even memecoins would protect you from a gradual wipe out as everyone rushes to devalue their currency.

>There's also rumors that the government is guarding massive gold deposits in the Grand Canyon among other places.
Kek the gov doesn't even know what the fuck does it have at the fed

>Climate Change
>Possibility of World War 3
>Resource Depletion
>Unparalleled wealth inequality
>Wants to retire

Top kek. Short term investments are king now.

13.5 million troy ounces out of 261.5 million troy ounces total that the US government has

Meh I would like an audit of that don't get me wrong but the whole deal with the germans being refused their gold and being given other bars different from the deposited ones makes me think there might be a rather different quantity stored

The government had to confiscate the citizens gold in 1933 to fill up fort Knox,
There hasn't been any audits of the holdings or even the Fed
The us government just has nukes planes and goyim cannon fodder protecting the petro dollar

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

You will never ever see an audit

It would annihilate faith in the dollar and china would attempt to step in as the world reserve.

Take all your money and invest in 10 stocks. Pick anything decent. Apple, Google, Tesla etc.

Sit back and watch money grow.

Buy out at first signs of global financial downfall

Now buy gold

The Fed is audited all the time. The dollar hasn't been backed by gold for a long time.

Yes that's a fucking stupid idea.
Gold won't increase in price any more than to keep up with inflation.

Gold is very easy to steal. Unless you have it locked up somewhere which costs money. Hence, you will pay with money for the privilege of not owning hard currency. House is also bad idea. The avg. price of an house rises below 2% YoY long term. The best way is to trade and invest in moving assets, like stocks, ETFs, and if it comes to a hard crash, buy what is down because of panic, and you will yield 1000% in just 5-8 years.

Do you even jew bro?
Yes,the dollar hasn't been back by gold and the federal reserve hasn't been audited by any external source and if the gold was there they wouldn't be so anal about nothing to see here since 1955 I mean they would be rather happy to show a strong gold reserve they can fall back to..

The Federal Reserve IS audited, the gold at the Federal Reserve isn't owned by the Federal Reserve, and the bulk of the US gold is held elsewhere anyway. If you read what it actually does, Audit the Fed is about gaining more direct Congressional control over Fed activities. Things like looking at gold reserves is just a front for a political agenda.

As always, a diversified portfolio is key.

Having 5 ounces of gold and 100 ounces of silver or so, won't kill you in the long run. And, if you never touch it, just pass it on to your kids. That what my parents did for me. At least $10k worth of gold and silver as well as some old coins and jewelry. I'll probably never sell it, but it is always securely there in case shit hits the fan.

Since 1913, the federal reserve has devalued the US dollar by 96%.
After 2008, Ben Bernanke went on a printing spree with QE 1, 2 and 3 creating 8 trillion dollars and putting it into the economy thus reducing the spending power of the dollar even more.
Thanks to Nixon's infinite "wisdom" we were taken off any gold standard and have been using a fiat currency since the 1970s. Over the last 3500 years, fiat currencies have failed 100% of the time. Gold & Silver have always maintained their exact purchasing power throughout history.
Precious metals can not be considered for the death tax (40%) as the government does not consider it money. It is.
95% of gold mined for use in the US is horded. 98.6% (2.5 billion ounces) of silver mined in the US has been used in electronics, appliances and just about everything.
Silver is now more rare than gold and not much of it has been mined recently. In fact, it's been gradually decreasing for years. Silver is said to be the first non-renewable resource to go extinct.
Buy silver.
correct. during the great depression 500 ounces of gold bought you a square block in metropolitan new york city. that's how bad deflation was.
the government never confiscated any gold, they just politely asked for people to hand it over. schmucks did.
we lost a president for trying that. it has never happened. better yet, you can buy stock in the federal reserve as it is a private company with absolutely no oversight.
we're about to hit an even harder housing bubble than what occured in 2008.

This post is mostly directly and indirectly wrong
>money devaluation caused by the Fed
Over a century. That's an average inflation of about 3.5%. Assuming gold remains the same value its return would be 3.5%. The indexes average 10%.

>Bernanke reducing the spending power of Americans
Inflation since the recession have been low, which is expected if you understand how money supply works. Most of the money in circulation is not hard cash but loans and credit issued by banks. With a credit crunch the banks stopped lending so Bernanke used QE to avoid a deflationary trap. Inflation has been low double digits since the recession.

>Nixon and the gold standard
The gold standard is stupid. Without it central banks have much more flexibility in monetary policy. If Bernanke had the gold standard he couldn't have done QE and the economy would spiral into a deflationary trap.

>no fiat currency has suceeded
Every country in the world uses fiat. If you mean no currency not in use failed its because no civilisation has lasted 3500 years.

>gold maintains its exact value
Golds value is decided by speculative forces in the market.

10-15% of your retirement investment, Buy physical, But still majority of your investments should grow and pay you dividends.

This
>The gold standard is stupid. Without it central banks have much more flexibility in monetary policy. If Bernanke had the gold standard he couldn't have done QE and the economy would spiral into a deflationary trap.
"To big to fail; Too bigger to fail" Logic.

Too big to fail is arguable but deflationary traps is common sense and verified by many times in the past.

>Lets say im 25 and i want to start buying gold as my retirement fund, is this a stupid idea?

Extremely stupid.

You would have bought something that has no compounding interest payments, no dividends, and only potentially a capital gain, which means you're going to be substantially poorer than if you had invested in securities and bonds.

Its a good idea to save in gold, for the long term, but you need to really nderstand gold to avoid making emotional choices. Belangp on youtube has a great channel to help you understand what you may be getting into and the nature of the gold market. I advise you to watch at least this one video to start the learning process.
youtube.com/watch?v=5ADtwpTbGF0

>>>>>
Extremely stupid.

You would have bought something that has no compounding interest payments, no dividends, and only potentially a capital gain, which means you're going to be substantially poorer than if you had invested in securities and bonds.

Your interest payments are less than the inflation rate. When you cash in your bond your principle will have less purchasing power than when you purchased it. There is also the probability that they may be written down in value suddenly.

Gold is better than a bond because it can not be inflated away and you don't need any interest payments because its not subject to inflation. When you go to sell it it will still purchase roughly the same amount of goods and services as when you bought it so you don't lose your buying power. Essentially it is real money, being a long term store of value and having no counterparty risk.

>Gold is better than a bond because it can not be inflated away
kek! what fucking retard

I'm only going to tell you once OP. Look at this infographic. Look at how it has more tech than Ethereum, and then go look at the prices on each.

If you can't figure it out, you don't deserve to be well off.

Fuck I'm high, here's the infographic.

>When you go to sell it it will still purchase roughly the same amount of goods and services as when you bought it so you don't lose your buying power.
>down 22% from 5 years ago

>The money that I will put away for 50+ years for my retirement totally wont be affected by huge transformations in technology!

Are you genuinely stupid?

>This is what libtards actually believe

And then you end up at 65 with no savings and having to live off of SS, just neck yourself now please and save us the trouble.

Being counter-cyclical is only a good investment if the long-term market trend is toward decline. There's no reason to think that will be the case as it's always been up.

Those are all facts and are independent of any politics. Since you can't think outside the "Librul vs Republican" box you probably can't think critically and are fucked no matter what you do.

Buying gold for "retirement" is fucking stupid. instead buy things that are recession proof that pay out a dividend such as GE, WM, PG, XOM, KO you get the point. you could always add gold to that portfolio but it pays you nothing, so for "retirement" hold things that provide income aswell as growth and keep the speculation to a minimum.
I buy all sorts of shit that isn't retirement worthy but it's in a different portfolio and i have fun with it because a retirement portfolio is boring

>the government never confiscated any gold, they just politely asked for people to hand it over. schmucks did.
>never confiscated any gold
>never confiscated
>never
>confiscated
>any
>gold
good goyim

Gold, roughly, will track inflation over the period of time from now and your future retirement. At least it won't lose money to inflation, like cash will. However, there are considerable transaction costs.

Like commodities such as gold, the stock market will fluctuate. Overall, though, it gains value due to capital accumulation. Stocks are tied to companies, which make profits in which you can share. This is why, in the long-term, stocks are guaranteed to keep going up overall: companies will keep making money overall, so long as there is an economy at all.

Just start a Roth IRA at Vanguard and auto-contribute to VFFVX. Set a budget and put 50% of your savings into this fund. Once you've maxed it out ($5,500/yr) put the rest into your 401(k).

Go ahead and have fun with gold or other fun assets, but keep it to 10% of your investable assets or less.

>When you go to sell it it will still purchase roughly the same amount of goods and services as when you bought it so you don't lose your buying power.
>down 22% from 5 years ago

Its still gold, its still buys about the same as it did 5 years ago. Remember that when gold was in dollars $1900 that gas was $4 a gallon, milk was $3.50 per gallon, and real wealth was generally harder to obtain in exchange for your labor.

When you buy gold you're essentially locking in a price of goods. You might lament that if you had timed your purchase differently you might have been able to get more but the point is it won't hurt you. And if gold declines in dollars its good because you can buy more and lock in a lower cost as real wealth becomes generally easier to obtain in exchange for labor.

FDR was such a faggot. I still don't understand why he's so "great"

>Gold, roughly, will track inflation over the period of time from now and your future retirement.
more like _barely_ if you are lucky.

>Up 84% over 10 Years
>Up 3,462% since 1970
Nice cherry picking

>having a crypto-bought gold shipped to your door
Seriously, can it get any less anonymous?

I have only got 12oz of silver at home (broke-ass 23yo student), but here's my reasoning behind buying silver instead of gold:
>better divided
I could buy one ounce every week if I really wanted to, it's a smaller push than saving for a year to get an ounce of gold
>maintains price
It has been said that the price of one day hard labour was worth about 1/10oz for the last 2000 years. Seeing as with an 18$/oz (or whatever it is), this gives you almost 2$/day. This is nowhere near comfy living, but can be survived on. I imagine an ounce of silver as the amount of food I can buy with it and it seems very stable in that regard.
>gold has no tax
Although true, if you keep track on your buying price, you can possibly make money as well. My shit country has 21% VAT, so every coin I buy is around 5$ over spot (after you add import costs), so I'm fucked anyway when selling, but even gold keeps quite a big margin between buying and selling.
>looks nice
I keep looking at gold ounces, half ounces and tenths in my local metal store, but it just looks too insubstantial for the quarter coins. 22mm, 30 for an ounce, it looks so small and flimsy. A nice ounce of silver, on the other hand, that's something you can feel the heft of. This also ties in with the price.
>usability
Sure, if I had to travel abroad, I'd buy an emergency sovereign and go.

Why did these jews do that?

>1933
Gee i wonder

Why not just buy a barrel of oil, it's the same. But gold is more sexy, yes?

Any one asset strategy is either stupid or brilliant in retrospect. Anyone of above-average intelligence will tell you it's stupid, though that doesn't mean we're right.

>it's the same
What are you smoking?

>Oil Degrades over time. Gold does not.
>Less portable
>Less liquid (inb4 jokes)
>Oil comes in many different grades/quality. Pure Gold is pure Gold. Same everywhere.
>Gold has been used as money for thousands of years, Oil has not.
>Central Banks and the IMF have Gold reserves. They don't have Oil reserves.
>Gold and Silver (in certain forms) are legal tender, Oil is not.

Just because it's called black gold doesn't mean they have the same qualities.