Everyone I talk to rolls their eyes when I tell them I'm an accounting major...

Everyone I talk to rolls their eyes when I tell them I'm an accounting major. Every fucking communications majors give me looks.
Should I take out a 40k loan and switch to pig Latin nursery rhymes to fit in at college?

>no one respects the accounting

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gjVDqfUhXOY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No thats the perfect major or at lease one of them. Young people pick dumb majors because muh sjw.

Because it's a soulless profession that can be replaced (and will be replaced) with software.

Because nowadays you should go to college to do something you like and make money doing it, accounting is just admitting you're either boring, not ambitious, or both.

Accounting is okay but there are better options.

I'm studying Financials/insurance/real estate.
Much more potential jobs and more interesting imo.

You remind them that their major is worthless. I think accounting is gay and suicide tier, but liberal arts are stupid poverty tier

First off why are you hanging out with communication majors?
Secondly, you shouldn't be surprised that people are rolling their eyes at your major.
Business majors and accounting majors tend to be some of the most retarded students with no actual goals in life.
The major itself is good and the career path is good but the students tend to be people who randomly heard about the degree on a Puerte Rican rice cake board and get it because they have no personal interests besides making money.
It's similar to when you hear about people getting woman studies degrees or video design degrees.
The grand majority of any class you take in college will be young people.
Those people are getting retarded degrees because of our cultural climate and not because of their age.

what major is god tier for you, then?

Lol it's college man. And the year is 2017.

I'm sure you are surrounded by lib-kids who think their history degree is gonna get them a job making $100k a year.

Stick with business, accounting, finance, or a computer career. These degrees when played correctly can pay off good.

Not him but

Computer science/software engineering
Computer engineering
Electrical engineering

In that order. If you want to be diligent and extra competitive then add to the top of the list:
Biochem+premed/medicine
Chemical engineering

But really it depends on what you want to do. I wish I majored in something I would enjoy more (mechical engineer here) but it's too late for me

Speaking of accounting/finance, how stable is the job market long term wise? My friend who just started coding is hell bent on proving to me that it will become obsolete as someone will just code accounting calculator of some sorts. I know its sounds dumb, but it got my neurons firing

Hes not wrong but they will still have accounting majors in those positions to make sure the numbers check out. You always need someone who is not the boss to hold accountable.

>Not becoming an engineer at a based trade school

meh you can always become an auditor

>not getting a PhD in hard stem (math or physics) and going into finance literally ass-raping all the mathematically illiterate economics/finance/business majors with good hairlines and handsome faces who can't even tell you what a fucking Hilbert space is
It's like you don't want to make billions

youtube.com/watch?v=gjVDqfUhXOY

Why don't you go back to treating dy/dx like a fraction you fucking retarded faggot amateurs, the real big dicks in town's got money to make

>Can't tell if bait, or genuinely that salty

id love to see my cock disappear into that face

Communications majors are prone to sociopathy and usually have a wide array of personality disorders

That being said, I am an accounting major that has high-functioning sociopathy and a wide array of personality disorders

it doesn't matter, I'm still right

I was, or so I thought, on to an engineering path, but seeing as I'm on my second try at calculus, and still may not pass it with 3 weeks left, am considering the accounting route. Presently I work in an accounting/CPA firm doing front end work, but don't really have much interest in becoming an accountant.
Would a Economics degree be at all a good path for me to pursue? or is everything financial going to be ran by computers soon anyways..

well what do you enjoy user

Computers can't even translate text correctly yet. If you weren't monolingual you'd know about this.

Econ+CS/MIS/CE is godtier.

Otherwise, don't waste your time.

What exactly do you think an accountant does that can be replaced by software outside of data entry?

Name one profession requiring university education that is not "soulless".

No you aren't

i dunno, user, i'm a college student and i like doing music n other artsy stuff, but i don't think i can make money out of that honestly, so i'm considering majoring in accounting

Or you could lie.

Just a thought. Isn't that required to get the 'good' accountant title?

people who think there's no money in art are wrong. it's one of the greatest false memes of our times, of all times perhaps.

to really be good at anything takes this formula: time × effort.

if you want to make money drawing or playing music or some shit, you can. but you need to have put in the time × effort. this is where most idiots fail. and honestly, most people don't have it in them to be an artist, so they gotta go to uni and study something where there's someone always looking over them, pushing them to work. nobody will ever push you to be an artist, they will only mock you for trying. so the drive has gotta come from internally. practice. concentrate while you practice. practice for 4000 hours like an engineering student had to do to get their degree. you will be able to make good money. but you will have to learn to save, because recessions will hit you harder than most people.

It wasn't a false meme until the rise of the internet. Before then, you either had to have the money to pay for top tier training and equipment from a young age, or you had to go to the right schools at the right time to get in with the cartels who would come to dominate entire industries.

While today to succeed in art in general is easier, especially if you sell online and live in or near a rich urban area, to succeed in fine art you still need to be rich and go to the right schools.

As the other user said, it takes an absurd amount of time and effort to get good at something, no matter what it is.
And if you're good, you'll get paid for it, no matter what it is.

The true greatest meme of our time is that all you need is a college degree to succeed in life.
Its a lie.

Which swamp of a university do you go to? Accounting is a level above major at most Canadian universities, and considered a specialization if anything. Chartered accounting designation later will make you a king (getting there however is like waddling through pig shit).

Stay in accounting, make mad money. If everyone thinks you're boring, you can go cry in your new BMW after you get your monthly paycheck

Mechanical engineering

buddy listen to what naon is saying not with your dick

As a normie myself I didn't know these fields were this competitively autistic.

all majors and jobs are shit. i got a biology degree to start a premed path but just retired at 26 once i remembered that my family is rich and work is awful and ide rather die than format another citation

I like sciences/applied sciences. Not really a big fan of computers except for personal computer/gaming

I listed those majors based on what I enjoy/like as a field. I left out nonstem degrees.

wow, thanks anons, that's actually pretty inspiring. i guess i'm still a bit wary cause it seems like the music and art industries are real competitive, and i dunno if i have what it takes. seems like i won't need to put in as much time × effort to do a "boring" job like accounting, since less people want to do boring jobs, but i guess i just need to "explore" a bit more to figure out what i really wanna do (and how i'm gonna make a living hopefully)

>tfw you get fired by Chad for watching the Worldcup while coding Monte Carlo simulations
This actually happened to a coworker of a friend of mine. Prop Trading was a good field to get into about 20 years ago, now it's just a bunch of cucked PhD's trying to be Maxwell's demon, while former frat boy bankers rake in all the spoils.

Fellow business major here, graduating next month

Most people I've met in college were sheltered retards. They actually think that their meme degree is going to get them a job. They do not understand how the work force works, and most of them do not have the balls to star their own business.

If they roll their eyes, it's because they've been brainwashed by jewish propaganda to believe their degree means something and their dreams are going to work out.

There's like 3 bachelor's degrees that are worth getting, business is one of them

>trying to be maxwell's demon
Jesus christ this is incredibly insightful, I am really drunk and legitimately blown away that you made that connection user

be good at investing then?

>maxwell demon

I know who he is but why is btfo?

I'm an accounting major. Seems like a decent enough profession for me. Even if you don't get a job as an actual accountant all businesses need people with financial knowledge. It's a really good catchall degree if you want to be useful in just about any financial area of any business.

>doctor -> save lives
>engineer -> make shit
>lawyer -> help people (can also be souless tho)
>accountant -> money

>wanting to fit in with the common college student

Most people at college are fucking idiot morons that you would never want to emulate.

No it won't be you Cuck.
Accountants do a hell a lot more than basic arithmetic and data entry.
Especially partners and team leaders, they do a lot of talking with clients. Tax accountants and auditors have to sit down with clients and ask them for different papers and documents. If it was just data entry, you wouldn't need a uni degree to become one.

t. Someone who works in an accounting firm

>Maxwell's demon

Let's be friends?
Do you have a throwaway mail/fb?

Those people work for free right?

Accounting is based off managing navigating a complex legal, political, and financial system. If that ever becomes more standardized, or when technology can manage it, there will be no point for a human, no need for human creativity. It's bookkeeping.

>getting a business degree instead of starting your own business

Why? Are you at a top tier school? If not then there's literally no reason to get a business degree.

>Tax accountants and auditors have to sit down with clients and ask them for different papers and documents
So does turbo tax.

I've never met an account that loved his job. I'm sure some do. None of the ones I've met have. They work a shitton for about half the year doing work that's not particularly enjoyable to most people. Most I know got out and went into a more profitable and in-demand field like business IT auditing.

If you're passionate about accounting, OP, then go for it. But there are many higher-paying, less mind-numbing fields out there within finance that you can choose instead.

I'm about as shit tier as you, but it doesn't matter to me anymore, since I have my own business and the college meme is just for me to fall back on someday if I ever need. The only respectable degrees to me are real science. Just my own opinion.

>get 3 years of credits in physics, math and biology
>discover that I can finish with a psychology degree instead and save tons of time by doing it online at the university
>Didn't study too much previously in college, but since I'm doing bullshit psychology, I never have to study, so much free time
>Since I'm going from respectable tier to shit tier, I might as well go onto the masters degree level after I finish
>I'm all about efficiency
>tfw [probably] the only straight white male in this major, and nailing it with As, even when the libtard cuck SJWs attack every writing I make
>start a business, college is just emergency investment backup for someday if needed
>plan to start 2 more businesses t his year
>get a gf who has a bunch of scholar friends (masters/PhD people)
>great gotta tell all these dicks I'm a psychology majors
>tfw they're all accounting, or something similar
>tfw they're all bottom tier too
>tfw no face
>life goes on

Anyways, since you're going the ol' college -> career move, go for a masters.

Also, lol @ communication majors. I didn't think anything could get lower than psychology, then I thought of sociology, but then you said communication majors.

I think all of us could shit on a piece of paper and get As in communication classes. All those libtard shitlords are gonna give you looks. Don't worry about them.

>Corporate finance major
Literally wage cuck major

it truly is a soulless profession only done for the little money it grants you if you can even find a job for it that's not taken over by computers. Spending you entire life with numbers sitting down in a chair is not rewarding and you will so regret it down the road in life.

The internet has made it even more of a false meme: it skews the distribution further and further to the right, where all of the money is made by a few people. The world of music, visual arts, writing, movies, and television is a world dominated by the few who make millions and the many who make next to nothing. Technology only exacerbates this problem, because now a popular artist can sell their work without the restrictions of physical space. Two hundred years ago, Taylor Swift couldn't sell her music to people in Canada and Europe and Asia and Africa; now she can, while lesser known artists suffocate.