learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/79-the-stack-and-the-heap
fgiesen.wordpress.com/2016/08/07/why-do-cpus-have-multiple-cache-levels/
opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/
gamesfromwithin.com/data-oriented-design
slideshare.net/EmanWebDev/pitfalls-of-object-oriented-programminggcap09
bounceapp.com/116414
cellperformance.beyond3d.com/articles/2008/03/three-big-lies.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A mix of all three. There's a buggy demo posted on itch.io + I'll be uploading an exclusive one made for tokyo game show and fantastic arcade soon

forgot to update the previous thread, here you go

who here /fallen out of love with their project/?

Ok /agdg/, can you actually name all these games?

Remember to start a real tumblr blog and abandon this shithole that supports a literal pedophile once your game becomes recognizable.

>Not being a juggler so you always have fun stuff to work at.
Its the best way to do stuff. You constantly come up with new ideas and if they dont fit one of your projects, they probably fit the others. You always have something to do, and all the boring stuff can be taken care of in small bits when you feel like it.

Stop reminding me that I had to skip Demo Day for so long.
Some times I regret starting a collab. Sure I wouldn't be able to make the game alone, but at the same time now I depend on another person and if he disappears I can't really do anything.

Some work on the start up of boss' screen attack. Drawing the line was way easier than I thought it would be, though I intend to changed it to a laser sprite.

Give halloween jam ideas that can be completed in a week or less

So finally getting to work on story stuff. Here is a pretty important NPC inside his house/shell.

>tfw not in op drawing

Is it bad design if you don't have a way for players to beat or run from a boss if they don't pack enough ammo for the fight? Or should they just have to reload the save and do better next time?

oh so the house is his shell? neat! good job man

>no door opening animation
lame

Skellybones are all scattered about
You're the head
You gotta go grab all your bits

Make sure there's some way to indicate you can enter the house, it currently looks like background.

So how do you build some sort of following without being one of those faggots who follows 10,000 people just to get 2,000 followers who don't retweet/reblog your shit anyways?

They should always have a way to win even if it is completely impractical. i.e. You could technically knife to death a boss in Resident Evil if you were careless with your resources.

Just not having enough ammo and absolutely no way of inflicting damage would be horseshit.

It's bad design since you're putting the player into a potentially unwinnable situation just because they don't know what's coming up ahead.

Anyone here every implemented their own navigation mesh in unity? I don't want to use the one that is supplied in unity.

Maybe you should have conserved your ammo better.

rely on memes or other easily digestible shit or define your target and shill directly to it

It's your job to save the player from their own retardation

Spent the day porting some garbage.

Bombx parses the original assembly level files which is kinda chill and means hardly any additional work. Storm Storm tries its hardest to look like a Vectrex. Or at least what young hip cool cats like me think a Vectrex looks like, all shaky and stuff. Hope I can finish up the ports tomorrow.

Gonna sizzle out the evening by working on a smol Halloween jam game. I want to try online multiplayer 1-vs-many tag. Not the best idea, but maybe I'll have an epiphany during the implementation.

Okay. *refunds your game because it's not like your game has more than an hour of content anyway*

You can punish a player for being careless without making your game unwinnable

this game's art has literally gotten worse with every iteration

>play exactly how I intended or reload
Great attitude I'm sure you'll be very successful

It will take time unless you have friends who already have a following willing to retweet your stuff. Here is how I managed to get ~3k twitter followers and ~4k tumblr follows and get 100+ likes on my progress posts.

>Use hashtags (yes people do look through them) #gamedev #indiedev #indiegame #pixelart #[insert your engine]
>participate in #screenshotsaturday and #pixeldailies. The accounts that retweet these have big follwers and people will see it.
>DONT follow thousands of people in hopes of them following you back. If you're just trying to increase the number of followers this might work but no one will actually care about your stuff and those followers are useless. People can see through an account that has thousands of followers but all posts get 2 likes.
>Follow accounts who are active and you genuinely enjoy their stuff. Reply to their posts, and make friends.
>Post progress at least twice a week. Any less and you run the risk of losing followers. People (especially big game devs) are picky with their follows and will unfollow for basically any reason. (remember you want big gamedev followers so they can retweet your stuff)
>DONT post personal/political stuff/opinions. Don't post how depressed/lonely you are (literally no one want to see posts about his) or how much you love trump/hillary. Gamers feel strongly about this stuff and will unfollow.
>Keep retweets to a minimum. People hate following accounts that retweet a lot unless thats the purpose of the account (ex:gamedev bot accounts).

>dev contacts you and asks you how you did something
>give him a rough overview
>says he has no idea what any of that even is
>it's basic gamedev stuff like 2D cameras
>ask him if he's even interested in learning
>says it's too hard and he can't do it

????

assuming shmup
toss in some low rank ammo drops occasionally
The fight'll be more drawn out as punishment

But mooom, I hate hashtags

>the name of that dev? John Carmack.

I wish I could do assembly level sorcery
What are you going to do for Halloween jam?

>DONT post personal/political stuff/opinions. Don't post how depressed/lonely you are (literally no one want to see posts about his) or how much you love trump/hillary.
This should just be just be a general rule for social media unrelated to gamedev

There are a ton of "devs" out there who want a video tutorial on how to implement every single thing. It's better to ask them how they've attempted to solve the problem first so you can at least get an idea of their abilities.

>someone is complaining that their code isn't working
>it's a noodle nightmare of a hundred things crammed into one function
>ten loops and various jumps
>temp and hold variables littered everywhere
>try teaching debug 101
>try teaching abstracting and refactoring
>says he doesn't want to rewrite it, he just wants it fixed
OR
>says this way is faster and more efficient
>spending 3 weeks dev time for 3 ns runtime

send help

>buy 10 copies of my game per hour for gamedev advice

I'm pretty sure you can do Mega Drive level assembly, it's pretty simple.

I'm trying to make a browser multiplayer game where one player is the dude and all the other players are skeletons and have to catch him. I always loved those asymmetrical 1-vs-3 Mario Party games, so I want to try something like this.

The biggest roadblock is my inexperience with network stuff. Where does the server go? Do I have to pay bigboy money to host it somewhere? How do people connect to it? I just don't know.

But the knife takes up precious inventory space and there's no way you'd take it to a boss fight unless you were intending to use it anyway.

Then give other weapons a shitty melee when out of ammo

>it's an "imbecile thinks of a bad game design solution for his inexistent game and hits up /agdg/ to talk about it for giggles, then /agdg/ tries to talk him out of it" episode
you should be working on your game desu senpai

You're using HDR for your game, right agdg?

I'm using HDR for my 2D pixelart game

What would be some cool stuff to add I am considering pressure switches that require rocks. I would like to consider trying to add movement on dry surfaces but last time I made a demo people didn't seem to really like the hopping along rocks above water. I added this nautilus which simply moves in a straight vector. I think it would be pretty fun to play when a bunch of them come as if there were a whole barrage of them you gotta avoid.

I guess now I'm just wondering what kind of things people like in games that are nice. I imagine variety is a big one.

Actually, I was thinking about just making the knife a free item, like Jill's lockpick.
But in RE you can't rely on it as a fallback weapon because you don't have enough inventory space.

On the topic of Resident Evil, what do you guys think of the typewriter save system?

What sort of game is it? I'm guessing it's sort of a puzzly game?

What are you making it with

People don't like games

Unity, because I thought the built-in matchmaking could come in handy. It didn't work with WebGL though.

I guess it's kind of like ecco but I did want it to feel as if it has its moments of action, although there may be some sort of puzzle work but I imagine nothing would ever be more complex than the stuff in the original sonic (i.e pushing a block) but perhaps slightly more elaborate.

working on hybrid russian/english lingo so it's alien but not so alien you can't understand it.
hmm., this is fun.

>he doesn't enginedev

Post code!

>he thinks his colorful triangle will evolve into a beautiful 3d game because Veeky Forums told him engine is bad

i turned his feet into skis for no reason.

I'm addicted. Who needs content or games??

he looks upset

find a new hobby

plz no bully

that font is a crime against devs and human

no.

This is a humble reminder that learning how to develop your game from scratch (that is, not relaying in game engines such as unity and GMS) will take you closer to deploying a game and beat your competitors.

Because games and game development are so popular, and you are competing against other games for attention, it is in your interest to use more performant tools that allow you to program your game without cutting any feature or depending on closed software.

If you are interested in defeating your main opponents (those using game engines, like the ones listed in the op poster), here are some tips:

- Use efficient and performant programming languages, such as c++, rust or nim.
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
doc.rust-lang.org/book/
nim-by-example.github.io

- Learn algorithms:
coursera.org/specializations/algorithms

- Learn maths and physics:
khanacademy.org/math
khanacademy.org/science/physics

- Learn how to get the most out of your cpu:
dataorienteddesign.com/dodmain/
learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/79-the-stack-and-the-heap
fgiesen.wordpress.com/2016/08/07/why-do-cpus-have-multiple-cache-levels/

- Learn how to do graphics:
opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/

Good luck.

I TURNED MYSELF INTO SKIS

I'M SKI RICK

this is a humble reminder for our newfriends that this is a pasta

This is a humble reminder that you should kill yourself.

kapwfush asset update

At this point you might think that nothing of this applies to you. Please, reconsider it:

- Data-Oriented Design (Or Why You Might Be Shooting Yourself in The Foot With OOP)
gamesfromwithin.com/data-oriented-design

- Pitfalls of Object Oriented Programming
slideshare.net/EmanWebDev/pitfalls-of-object-oriented-programminggcap09

- common OOP game engine development pitfalls
bounceapp.com/116414

- Three Big Lies
cellperformance.beyond3d.com/articles/2008/03/three-big-lies.html

Think about it in this way: understanding how your computer work might not secure you success, yet it gives you a huge advantage in this race.

You might say that the latest famous indie game done in unity didn't put any effort into engineering at all, but this is only illusory. You cannot see how many hours, days and months the developers behind successful unity (and GMS) games had to put to work around its inherent limitations.

You can say to yourself "I don't need anything else, i'll rely on my luck" or think wisely and increase the likelihood of being success by spending some time learning more about computers.
Everything depends on you.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY LIGATURES
which vscode only supports half of the time piece of shit.
it's super excellent for my dyslexia though.

why are you doing this.

for what purpose.

he said for no reason

I wanna get peep's opinions on my current project.
>You play as the grim reaper
>everyone in your vicinity has timers above their head
>once they reach 0 they die
>you have a timer above your head too
>you gain time from collecting the souls of the deceased before they disappear and taking them to "a better place"
>certain souls are essential and are marked on the map as such, and missing these ones results in a time penalty

there must always be a reason.

Is it for Halloween jam?

I'm always so happy when you post stuff.

nah, after-school project I'm working on with a couple of other people. We'll probably be working on it for at least a year.

Nice Death Note fangame

Wow, another dev who didn't fall for the monospace meme. Unless you're using python and why would you be then this sort of font is best, especially with the way high-level (C and above) reads like natural language.
The only reason for using monospace is if you need to line up your code by columns (python or a lang like pic related), or if you want to feel like H A C K E R M A N

im working on getting my ass back into gear. i've been procrastinating hardcore.

How do I make my game's interiors MAXIMUM CLUTTER?

>underscores instead of PascalCase
>leading underscores

absolutely disgusting don't ever post in my thread again

Isn't OOP more practical for games than Data-Oriented?

I've never watched Death Note, though my friend in the group was pretty big into it, is it really similar or something? We're mostly going for a Crazy Taxi/Jet Set Radio feel.

Monospace gives more headaches than it's worth. It's a relic of old consoles.
I will definitely admit I miss the aesthetic of certain lines lining up perfectly, but it's not worth it now my new job involves a lot of very complex systems code.
PascalCase is god's gift to man but it's not the convention for that language.
The convention is actually camelCase but I can't bring myself to be that disgusting.
You can see I keep accidentally lapsing back to pascal there.

Just put piles of shit everywhere. Open a drawer, and it's literally overflowing with unorganized junk.

No, it's the opposite. You should use a data-oriented approach like ECS for your game logic. This lets you iterate faster, makes it easier to tweak and debug at runtime, and allows you to completely sidestep the problem of inheritance.

The shinigami in Death Note can see a human's remaining lifespan, and extend their own by prematurely killing humans to take what's left.

What font is this?

>Learn maths
I don't particularly like khan all the time, so a couple others:
PatrickJMT on youtube, heavy on working examples which is nice
MIT OCW, on youtube or on their site (digging around, many courses have problems and solutions and exams and so forth, in addition.)
- in particular, Gil Strang teaches Linear Algebra extremely well. You might be annoyed with going through an entire lecture-based course to learn one topic when you feel like you can just google something whenever it comes up, but I'd say 1) linear algebra is fundamental to a lot of math, especially in cs: graphics, coordinate systems, rotations, ... and 2) doing just a couple hours a day can be a good way to "procrastinate", also 3) mathematical thinking, though Strang is not a proof-heavy approach to lin alg, will help with how you approach problems in your game or when coding

what if you're using a language and compiler that doesn't suffer from bugs at runtime?

Well that's the literal definition. I just was more thinking of how to make the interiors of my game feel cluttered and lived in as to not feel like boring empty cube rooms.

Reference, reference, reference.
Take pictures if you have to. There's honestly not much more to it.

This is a humble reminder that this is the exact opposite of the truth for 90% of newbies.

You only forgot to mention that these are exactly those 90% of newbies who will not make it.

Does anyone here have the spritesheet of that female character that gradually becomes thiccer? I need it for research, thanks

Kys

>What if you're a literal god who never makes mistakes
In that case, you could probably just hardwire it directly into circuit boards.

Anime posting is scientifically proven to improve productivity! Sadly, it also turns you into a sissy..
Is it worth it? You could say it's the steroids of gamedev!

ah, that's actually a bit closer to the original vision, where you had the premature kill option, but we removed it to give the Reaper the "afterlife" job instead of actually being responsible for the death itself, it's just a tad too dark when we're going for a toon-like look.