What was everyday life like in Soviet Union??

What did ordinary people do for "fun"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bwNi4iWDgM8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What did ordinary people do for "fun"?
Killing afgans mostly

>get monthly cards for food, cigs, vodka and chocolate
>if you don't smoke, exchange cig cards for vodka cards
>get to store, 5 hour line, 2 items on the shelf
>wait 15 years for an apartment
>save up for 10 year to get a car

Everything to a certain degree as today, just a severe lack of outside influences and watchful eyes.

Seems very similar to modern life in the West, minus the lines for stores.

cultural centers
libraries
fitness centers

tv was full of random documentaries and math lectures

>What was everyday life like in Soviet Union??

According to Alexei Yurchak, it was hypernormal

Where the fuck do you live, Venezuela?

"I want to sign up for the waiting list for a car. How long is it?" / "Precisely ten years from today." / "Morning or evening?" / "Why, what difference does it make?" / "The plumber's due in the morning".

>if you don't smoke, exchange cig cards for vodka cards
Excuse me, but that exchange market is the paved way toward capitalism. Into the gulag you go.

Try to guess, user. :^) It heavily depends on time period and who exacrly had fun, actually.

I've lived in Eastern Europe and the US, the two can't really be compared. Most EBT/welfare recipients in the west just show up to the store, which is filled to the brim with whatever they want, pick shit out and swipe their card. They can do this however many times they want and then they go back to their 3 bedroom apartment that's paid for.

Getting shit in the 1970s and 1980s Eastern Europe consisted of showing up to get flour and you had to get vodka instead because they ran out, or trying to ration shit. Getting any kind of cars or electronics you had to get Russian crap, which was x100 worse than Chinese made items today. After wasting 8 hours and getting a small portion of alcohol or whatever, you had to go back to your 3 bedroom apartment that your family shared with 3 other families.

I too would like to learn about it, but you definitely can't get unbiased responses from Veeky Forums. If someone would recommend any reliable (as reliable as can be when the Cold War was a thing) sources that would be great.

that's not real communism though

Vladimir Lenin, Joseph Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev, and Leonid Brezhnev are all travelling together in a railway carriage. Unexpectedly, the train stops. Lenin suggests: "Perhaps we should announce a subbotnik, so that workers and peasants will fix the problem." Stalin puts his head out of the window and shouts, "If the train does not start moving, the driver will be shot!". But the train doesn't start moving. Khrushchev then shouts, "Let's take the rails from behind the train and use them to lay the tracks in front". But still the train doesn't move. Then Brezhnev says, "Comrades, Comrades, let's draw the curtains, turn on the gramophone and pretend we're moving!"

Most of the same stuff Americans did. Going to the movies, walking through the park, seeing musical performances, visiting museums.

Much like in the West, entertainment options were more limited in the countryside.

It was great, shame Americans had to ruin it

Fiction mixed with non-fiction, but it's well sourced.

>the supermarkets were empty in 1990 therefore they were always empty

kys

Anyone remember this movie? lol

An old woman asks her granddaughter: "Granddaughter, please explain Communism to me. How will people live under it? They probably teach you all about it in school." "Of course they do, Granny. When we reach Communism, the shops will be full – there'll be butter, and meat, and sausage … you'll be able to go and buy anything you want..." "Ah!" exclaimed the old woman joyfully. "Just like under the Tsar!

how about people stop posting tired old baby boomer jokes made during the cold war and actually point people to primary sources dealing with what life was like in the ussr

> Seven Wonders of The Soviet Union
> There is no unemployment, but nobody works.
> Nobody works, but plan is carried out.
> Plan is carried out, but there is nothing to buy.
> There is nothing to buy, but line are everywhere.
> Line are everywhere, but people are on the threshold of abundance.
> People are on the threshold of abundance, but we people still unhappy.
> people still unhappy, but voting for Soviets.

>still voting for the soviets
There weren't elections in the ussr you fucking troglodyte. Communists are so fucking delusional

haha no.
that would actually require research.

He is not a communist you dumb shitter, it's literally the opposite. Of all the things that bait post contained, the elections stood out? christ

If anyone was alive in that time or knew someone, please share.

I assume people were fucking a lot, as people do in countries were leisure options are scarce.

all you will find is kids born in 1989 and their posts will start with "I was there, let me tell you what it was really like..."

I was born in 1997, but I just posted what my parents said it was like.

Life was actually preddy good in ussr from what my dad told me.

Sure you didn't have Pepsi and Spearmint bubble gum and 'fashionable' murcan clothes, but you had actual food, not tainted by any corporate profit boosting chemical. Fish, meat, eggs, milk, bread, you name it. Shit was healthy, bottle of milk had only one ingredient - whole milk.

sex was as easy as any autist (we were all autists, this is eastern europe afterall...remember?) walking down the street to a random qt stranger and taking her to the sauna. simple, raw, juicy and sweatfully sweet.

fresh raw pussy and food was plentiful

and it was the wettest, tightest, most gripping blonde vagina you could dream of

now our vagina resources have been depleted due to massive export to hungry fat burgers, so dont rely on us to constantly produce and supply fresh sour cream pussy for you

the state recognized sex as a human right and guaranteed all autists a fresh and shiney virginal vagina by high school graduation, and all yours.. free to keep!
girls were actually raised by the government education system to keep themselves pure, innocent, and submissive, emphasizing on their vaginas being clean, untainted, and tight and not withered, weathered, battered and infested with worms and fecal matter

>girls were actually raised by the government education system to keep themselves pure, innocent, and submissive, emphasizing on their vaginas being [...] not withered, weathered, battered and infested with worms and fecal matter

What if it is how I like them ? It's a pretty shit system if you ask me.

Why do Stasi officers make such good taxi drivers?/ You get in the car and they already know your name and where you live.

Why do the Stasi work together in groups of three?/ You need one who can read, one who can write, and a third to keep an eye on the two intellectuals.

Early in the morning, Honecker arrives at his office and opens his window. He greets the Sun, saying: "Good morning, dear Sun!" / "Good morning, dear Erich!"
Honecker works, and then at noon he heads to the window and says: "Good day, dear Sun!" / "Good day, dear Erich!"
In the evening, Erich calls it a day, and heads once more to the window, and says: "Good evening, dear Sun!" Hearing nothing, Honecker says again: "Good evening, dear Sun! What's the matter?" The sun retorts: "Kiss my arse. I'm in the West now!"

Hey dad, I didn't know you went on 4chenz.

Stop shitposting and get a job Kevin!

Aren't all these from that Ed Boom movie where he spies a cuck ?

Youtube gaming is a job, dad, stop oppressing me !

Everyone cared who I was until I put on the breasts

I have a great uncle(RIP) and great aunt(RIP), that went to Moscow for vacation in the 1980s. they just liked to travel all over the world since they never had children.

They were staying at what was supposed to be a nice, but not terribly expensive, hotel for foreigners only in Moscow. There was no soap in their room. So my great uncle goes down to the front desk. The Comrade Desk Clerk brings out a box containing used bars of soap, for him to pick from.

sounds like a story you'd read on communismisevil.blogspot.org desu

Same as West:
Read books (apart from books there also "fat" literary journals where novels were printed piece by piece), watch TV (one, maybe two channel), cinema (dirt cheap), enter some clubs (chess, running, modeling whatever)

Or you can just drink yourself to death

From what I can tell, it mostly depended on where you lived and when.

Here's a fella who just describes what it was like. He seems to have developed an anti Communist bias since he left, but it's interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=bwNi4iWDgM8

>needing to make up communist retardation

>believing a Soviet hotel catering to western tourists would be run on a shoestring budget and would have guests reuse bars of soap because soap is like so expensive man and they'd save a bunch of money

I think this is a case of "I want to believe"

Get drunk.

>If anyone was alive in that time

What is your questions, I was born in 1970 in Russians ccp

Were you in the youth pioneers?

Read books, went to the cinema, hiked in the mountains (especially popular with students), listened to radio, drink alcohol.

>to keep an eye on the two intellectuals

It should be noted that Stasi was full of well-educated people. I advise you watch "The Lives of Others."

concerts
dancing
books
movies
theater
sports
games
etc.

There were a lot of sports opportunities. All the way up to flying clubs.

> boring normie stuff

Now, you hang yourself down from skyscrapers with your bare hands, run tanks and do some crazy driving with your dashcam.

There has been a clear improvement.

Go read the podcast "The Eastern Border", which has as it's goal to describe life of the average citizen in the USSR. It's pretty good, but the guy doing it has pretty lousy english.

Yes actually, there were. You voted for representatives. But there was only one party to vote for.

If you mean oktebryata, pionere, or komsomol?

>hiked in the Dyatlov
now all we do is just watch youtube clips about Dyatlov

De qué parte de Venezuela eres? ;^)

What is everyday life like in modern Russia?

I heard that video casettes became a pretty huge business in 80s.

Embark on epic journeys to get your car after 5 years of being on a list
Drink knockoff coke when available

Hiking was very popular. We had tons of infrastucture for it back then

It very much dependes on where you live. In big cities we have all the usual european stuff but with street crime, entirely corrupt police force and shtty transportation

If you want to hear about unusual stuff we have this things almost on every corner. You can pay for mobile phone, internet, Steam, tons of services by cash there. I haven't seen them in Europe and in US, so i guess that's because credit cards are still not so widespread in Russia

We have an even more bizarre system in England where you can pay for bills in corner shops. A lot of people have their electricity on a key, where you have to top it up in the shop t get power.

I often think that behind Britain's imperial facade we're very second world in a lot of ways.

Is that Steve Carrell on the left?

I didn't make up the joke m8

Japan kinda similar system, each mom and pop shop also works as post office of sorts, you can pay your bills and collect deliveries there

> credit cards are still not so widespread in Russia
Germany doesn't trust banks and everything is paid in cash

If only we could discuss this without /leftypol/ getting asshurt at absolutely everything.