What are some of history's weirdest government offices/court offices

What are some of history's weirdest government offices/court offices.

Like, weird as in the role they performed was weird, or weird in the sense that their duties went above and beyond their intended roles.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4utXb3auOew
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Privy_Seal
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>or weird in the sense that their duties went above and beyond their intended roles.
Supreme Court of the United States of America

I find it weird that Americans require artists to draw scenes in court hearings.

Not really weird but I find it funny that the original function of Sergeant of Arms is senate security & the removal of people who are either trolling, or wasting the senate's time.

But they started televising trials in their entirety.

Why come?

Since T'ang China, there was a court office called the "Commissioner of Tea."

It was, however, a military office. The Chinese exchanged tea with people of Tibet and Ferghana, who raised excellent horses and were willing to part with large numbers of them in exchange for bricks of tea (even used as currency over there).

Since these horses and breeding stocks were crucial to the Chinese military, what used to be a civilian post was handled by the military, effectively making the Commissioner of the Tea trade the Chinese realm's equivalent of the Roman office of Master of Horses.

That scene is just confusing. Why is that guy allowed to be cocking a gun in the middle of a trial? Why is the perspective for the picture so weird?

Its one of those "show us what the bad dude did" episodes.

>What are some of history's weirdest government offices/court offices.

It's not really an office, and it's not really weird, but the Tomb of the Unknown soldier has very elaborate rituals surrounding it.

youtube.com/watch?v=4utXb3auOew

The Changing of the Guard is awesome. I definitely respect the people who guard the Tomb, and I'm not even a patriotic or sentimental type.

The Austrian MA 2412 comes to mind, a government office that exists solely for the purpose of regulating commercial Christmas decorations.
>hi, I am the christmas decorations inspector

Sandal Bearers,

For some reason, a guy holding your shoes has to have a court salary & an office.

Pic related, most famous one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Privy_Seal
"Though one of the oldest offices in government anywhere, it has no particular function today because the use of a privy seal has been obsolete for centuries; thus the office has generally been used as a kind of Minister without Portfolio. Since the premiership of Clement Attlee, the position of Lord Privy Seal has frequently been combined with that of Leader of the House of Lords or Leader of the House of Commons. The office of Lord Privy Seal, unlike those of Leader of the Lords or Commons, is eligible for a ministerial salary under the Ministerial and other Salaries Act 1975.[1] The office does not confer membership of the House of Lords, leading to Ernest Bevin's remark on holding this office that he was "neither a Lord, nor a Privy, nor a Seal".[2]"

literally
>Lord
>Privy
>Seal

Didn't mean to quote, although most of the *bearer and keeper of x offices are similar in nature (cupbearer, French peers etc)

What's weird is that they already have a Master of Horses, namely the Great Coachman

I've seen these in my country as well.

Wasnt that the office descended from Warring States/Early Imperial China that managed chariots? Not just horsies alone?

>Paid over a job that doesnt exist.

I think that's rather interesting because often such positions are filled with senior officials with a wealth of experience that basically act as troubleshooters, consultants, advisors or lobbyists and negotiators on behalf of other parties.

They're not given a portfolio often because no one wants to tie them down to one role.

A lot of Ottoman Offices had suffixes that meant "slave" but are big fucking deal offices.

For example, the Qapukulu. Literally "door slave," but in reality the elite cavalry bodyguards of the Padishah

Etymologically maybe, but the dude was largely tasked with operating the imperial stables and generally handling the horse stock.

Today, there are literally paid to run the Social Media accounts of the British Monarchy.

They're called "Social Media Managers" and t.b.h. the whole practice seems to be like some sort of 21st Century equivalent of court scribes.

Um

There are people out there paid to run social media accounts for all sorts of shit. I think it's cancer but it's not something unique to the British and their celebrity royalty

Court scribes still exist, they're more properly called court clerks.

>I think it's cancer but it's not something unique to the British and their celebrity royalty
No, it makes sense and its a normal thing to do by institutions and public entities.

It only gets shitty when stuff like sock puppet accounts to voice support for someone happens. Or some wank group is established pretending to be unofficial supporters of x but are actually founded by paid shills.

The Bundestag it "governs" the people

That's a pretty chamber.

For you

they just don't want to get rid of the eagle do they?

no matter. The next generation of sjws will get it taken down because of its connotations.

kek

I hope not. It's a pretty eagle.

The groom of the stool wiped the royal arse.

>Molla Fenari becomes the first Sheikh-ul-Islam in 1425. This was an office whose main function was to ensure that the conduct of government was in accordance with Islamic law. In later eras, Sheikh-ul-Islams were to expand their influence and extend their duties to educating the young, oversight of rolls and collection of tolls, plotting against the Sultans, inciting Janissary uprisings, and preventing the modernization of the army and civil service.

It's a fat retarded eagle and a disgrace for the German nation.

Once a week, the Embassies of Slovakia and Slovenia in Washington meet to exchange mail mistakenly sent to one or the other.