/dfg/ - Dwarf fortress general

Suicide by volcano edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

>Previous thread

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/CGMx8K
youtube.com/watch?v=fXSwxQYrSB0
cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How do i build temples?

who knows, the last fort I had been postponing it until the monarch arrived and DF crashed

as for designation, I think it's via locations, same as taverns, but I could be completely wrong on that account

make a meeting area
assign location->new location
select deity
general usually does the trick but ill put temples for the largest following religions alongside for aesthetic

Dwarf Fortress on the xbox 360

Dwarf Fortress on a Tiger Electronic

There's only a "FUN" button.

Dwarf fortress on a TI84 Plus when

Post some adventurers.

Dwarf Fortress with vector graphics when?

Real vector graphic displays are a beautiful sight to behold

Holy shit, I can't wait for artifacts.

Wiki is back! Praise the miners!

Only 40 more days, mate.

there's a lot more than 40 days until the next october

Yes they'll be cool, I'm waiting for economy and someone to mod tantrum spirals back in personality.

Then there's that one user who's been wanting boats that's been posting for years now

Pretty sure next october is exactly 40 days away.

What are some good CPUs to run df on?

8th gen i3?

That's a bit harsh.

Was a race to see how fast we could die at one point and then I found a hamlet where you could start > walk out the door > jump in a volcano.

>tries some crazy shit
>dfhack# die
>tries some other crazy shit
they'll never know, is this what playing god feels like?

>Page 10

>only playing god

heres a part list I put together. (havent bought any parts or started to build it though.)

pcpartpicker.com/list/CGMx8K

r8

black opal

I'm feeling fancy so i created a living quarter fully engraved and masterpiece furniture only for each room, i have few questions:
How do i safely move my dwarves to their new rooms? individual assignment is a chore, i also would like to destroy the old peasant quarter, how can i get rid of the old furniture? can i force them to use a certain quality when building?

atom smash the old furniture
yes you can, but you can also manually select the new bits
manually assign them to make it go off easiest,

has it been 40 days yet

Not yet.
But don't worry user, there's only 40 days to go.

And then Toady will part the magma sea and lead us to the promised land, but all of the fluid dynamics calculations means we'll only get 1 FPS on the walk over.

well done, user

Dwarf Fortress Development Log 10/21/2017: (Toady One) Two main things this week were testing encountering an artifact quester in the woods while holding their artifact, and some quibbling with fort-mode artifact questers. The woodland artifact quester didn't go so well at first. I used my debug power to manifest as the Manifestation, holding the quest crossbow, which I immediately handed over.
When I asked the quester about it, he said "An unknown creature has given an unknown creature . I don't care one way or another." There was an obscure bug causing his inability to reflect on the situation properly; visual IDs required some third party to have seen the handover, and I'd done all the testing up until this point in crowded mead halls. So I sorted it out and got a happy reply about
turning over the crossbow properly. Reloaded, tested out various personality combinations, got mugged, etc.
Still racing against the clock! What have we got, ten days left in October? Hmm...

Wewie vaults sure are !!FUN!!,
For anyone who's manage to best one, what kinda gear/setup did you have, and how long did you play your character?

Zombie hordes are good for distracting the masses. In fact, meat shields in general are pretty vital, unless you're not only OP but insanely lucky.

I'm Basically, I ran a fort and made adamantine weapons and steel/adamantine armor, retired it, then trained a demigod character by grappling cats, beating up horses and nearly drowning to Grand Master.

What makes it more fun is that your fort is very likely to have a HFS breach, so you need to train and prepare beforehand in order to enter and get the stuff you made. It's like getting pre-raid gear in an MMO, then doing progression raiding to get better stuff and finally doing the endgame.

>ten days left in October? Hmm..
Does it mean another rushed release, or another year of waiting? What is going on inside this man's head?

FORTY

DFhack has a planning mode which makes it piece of cake

>Half my fort listening to stories
>half my forth praying
Inns and temples were mistakes

I had around 160 zombies so I didn't need to fight.
The game crashed on one of the final rooms so I had to do it all again though.

>he thinks it's the locations' fault

>it's a newfag can't tell green and purple activities apart episode
most of those dorfs would have been "No job" in the older versions.

We got our first migrant vampire today.

I managed to buy a tamed black bear from the elves. Will it wreak havoc if I release it or does it have to be trained?

In action

neither, if it's tame it won't attack anyone

What the fuck? Is this a mod, or have you just custom named everyone?

I modded the fuck out of df raws. It's a custom language for imperial civ.

my first artifact was a wooden cage, what a fucking waste

Sweet, thanks.

I acquired a leopard too. Both of them are released and marked for training. My expedition leader just got two nice doggos.

Remember they won't be trained unless you designate an area for training.

>vathez gloryhole

Thanks for the reminder! I completely forgot about that. Just in time too, because my expedition leader just got out of a mood and crafted this amazing hammer.

At least it has a cool name.

but why was the lord of the hamlet a clown

Why not add youtube.com/watch?v=fXSwxQYrSB0 to the video tutorials? It seems pretty good and more recent

Demons impersonating human deities is a thing. A pretty common one, at that.

>muh work

Bread and roses, user, bread and roses.

there was no thread when I created this one, and
I pretty much just copypasted

There's a volcano that was immediately obsidianized by the lake when I first unpaused and then a magma pool in each cavern layer. This is an old image export from cavern 3 that shows all 4 of them.

You have no comprehension of how jealous I am. What size is that embark btw?

And can you please post the z-screen of your fort? You show pictures all the time, but numbers would be interesting too!

It's 3x5.
Interestingly, despite our wealth we can't attract anymore migrants. I cranked the popcap way up a couple of years ago after holding at 125 for like a decade, hoping to get a bigger work force. But I always get "Your fortress attracted no migrants this season." Civ is perfectly healthy as well, unless the liaison and civs screen have been lying.

Weird, it's obviously not a lack of wealth either. How's your death rates, and how much are you pleasing merchants from the mountainhome? And how old is the fort too? Sorry for the fascination, it's just a very nice looking fortress.

cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
Don't listen to the people who tell you to buy low core count high clockspeed CPUs. CPU performance is so complex that it's impossible to compare them by clockspeed alone.

>death rate
The missing/dead list is pretty high, but we've not had a siege for a few years. The effects of deaths might last long enough that old sieges are still affecting migrations, but it's hard to know for sure.
>pleasing merchants
Check out that import/export ratio.
>how old
About to be 25 years.
I don't mind your questions a bit. I like having an excuse to show it off every now and then.

Who're your neighbours, and who do you get sieged by, because a standing military of 10 seems a little low for a fortress of that size.

>A pretty common one, at that.
I've never seen it and I've played this game for thousands of hours.

Rate my fortress. It's been going strong for around 60 years. Here it is visualised in Armok vision.

Eh

Oh wow, autistically done user. You should be proud, that's incredible, not just the scale, but the fact that it's ALL ONE STONE. Wow. What're the stats on it?

>37 miners

That's hectic!

How's your fps?

Gobs and elves, only gobs attacking, although I've been trying to provoke the elves since the beginning. No elven diplomat has ever left alive. I have 3 squads, one dedicated melee (The Contested Castles), one dedicated ranged (The Speechlessness of Tongs), and one mixed (The Diamond Gorges). They're just not all on duty at once. Every one of them except two or three newer soldiers are legendary, and the barracks isn't very far from where enemies like to enter the map. Whoever is on guard can usually hold their own long enough for some reinforcements to arrive. Pic is from an old siege, what they usually look like at first.

Excellent. Would pay money to vomit in your tavern. How long did it take you, and how many blocks of what material?

83k boulders and growing.

Who /cutting down all trees and then incinerating them with dfhack magma source to burn all the new saplings and useless logs/ to recover fps here?

Here's the stats.
About 50-60 FPS on a 2x2 embark with a 60 dwarf population cap.

What are your specs

are necromancer sieges fixed?

every time a necro would siege my fort I would kill/capture every enemy, but the siege would not lift for years. I missed so many migrant waves and caravans, ruined my entire save file because of the shitty necromancer sieges

According to my stocks screen I have 29,688 marble blocks, and pretty much all of that has been built. I have also used around 4,100 blocks of diorite when you don't count unbuilt blocks. I have exhausted all the raw marble on the map.

I'm running a i7-4790k with 16GB of ram.

Nope. It's not just necromancer sieges that do that, but only a minority of any sieges do it at all. If you've had it multiple times you're just really unlucky, and you should keep seasonal backups.

>29,688 marble blocks
Impressive. Are your marble quarries integrated into the fort?
Also, very aesthetically pleasing use of windows. I believe I see some external facing windows in the AV shot too, yeah?

I couldn't really integrate them in a pleasing way because part of it has a magma pipe running through it, although on my next embark (once the new update comes out) I'm definitely making it into a huge smoothed cemetery or something. Also yes a lot of windows were used on the outside of the fortress, including in a huge walkway that spans the outside of the fortress.

you can mine off the whole surface and it'll be more efficient without fucking off temperature

Or just build roads.

Who here is /drunk/ while they play. Comfy as fuck and fitting for a dwarven overseer to be perpetually inebriated.

I've been a drunken overseer for so long I don't even feel it anymore until I stand up, user.

It has it's positives and negatives. You will agonize less over unnecessary detail, but you will also fuck up.

I have, but I try not to because I do stupid things when I drink and fort. My intoxicant of choice dwarfing is cannabis. The worst that ever happens is I make no progress because I'm too anxious to leave it unpaused for more than a few seconds at a time.

Apparently boogeymen still spawn even if you have the NOFEAR tag.

Man you know that is funny to think about. If they feed on fear or whatever and you're not afraid, they really have no motivation to kill you. Maybe they just see you as a normal dude since you aren't edible to them.

>you conclude your performance
>you are still surrounded by cackling

I just read the wiki entry on them. Apparently they'll not attack you, but they'll still surround/teleport to you and prevent you from sleeping. I've never played adventure mode, but they sound really annoying.

They're not too tough just really, really fast in combat with attacks and dodging. Every tavern has town drunks that will follow you matter how big a piece of shit you are, but sometimes they die and I forget to get new ones so I work on my story telling skill and whatnot.

Is there a way to see how many works a given scholar has written? My guys are prolific as fuck, I've never had such an active library.

I think that filtering through XML legends is the only way, the java legends viewer is probably your best bet if doing it with grep or something sounds like a headache.

are people still of the opinion that tileset users have poor layouts?

>generic 2x3 commieblocks
yeah.

the effeciency is pretty low here, remember that a tile is 2x2x2 meters. So a single dwarfs room here is 4 by 6 meters. with just the bare furnishings of a bed and cabinet. A 2x4m layout is more visualy pleasing in the minds eye but seems squished on a visual display.

consider this design, the rectangular tileset throws the design off but its more effecient with 2x2block rooms and the hallways are designed so that the people are split apart into their seperate areas, removing the need for 2-tile hallways.

sig heil

I'll admit, after finishing it I saw how "nazi-esqe" it looked and just decided to roll with it.

it's the most efficient shape for make bedrooms