freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5eBgE280bmA&index=25&list=PLeGueC0cN9Y-H3gDlyw_ufgT1fKwSH9Sp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

early for does anyone have good tutorials on sound design ? Specifically things that aren't "just take a sample and stretch it"

thirst for progress

boo

is the ghost a guest animation?

very nice

how does the game look like without the pixel filter?

Collabing with someone for my character models. Thoughts on how it looks?

Maybe because I wasn't around in the previous months, but did you drop the dungeon crawler aspect of the game?

Mediv_opening_the_dark_portal.webm

gud

Is the classic stats (strength, endurance etc.) + skills(swords, magic etc.) combo too overused that it would be a downside to include it in your game? For me personally when I try something that's different (such as Path of Exile's fuckhuge tree) I feel overwhelmed and it's a huge turn off for me so I tend to prefer the classic combo, but what do other people think?

Yes. I changed engines, reduced scope to something I can complete, this one is restricted to 3x3 with some lore in between levels. Hopefully can be my first proper complete released game of May, 2018.

WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO MIRROR EVERY KEYFRAME MANUALLY USING COPY/PASTE HOLY SHIT FUCK BLENDER

I'll take a system that works over an original system any day.
PoE has Strength/Agility/Int by the way, so it's not that different. The skill tree is just a bragging right so the devs can pretend it adds to the game when 90% of the nodes are "+X% to Y" garbage.

u dont wanna know

U wot

I don't mind using a system that's been done many times before. But in that case the mechanics wont sell the game by themselves. You'll need something else, like good graphics, juicy gameplay, and a good story to set yourself apart from other games.

write a mirror pose script.

Best of luck then, user. I want to see you succeed.

retoasting because dead bread.

pls show

Cute, if a bit bald

Game Maker and Unity btfo

ctrl+m only lets me mirror the keyframes's times, or their values over 0, which turns the animation into gibberish.
there's also a 50% chance it doesn't save my animations, fortunately that only happened with mirrored animations so far.

This is the kind of basic shit that should be bundled with Blender though. But no, they needed to add a half broken vertex normal tool for 2.79.

I'm sick of my own postings, why am I here?

Gib license pls, email is [email protected]

Boku doesn't have velocity
He's animated in Unity

Come again

Thats a weak meme user he animates in maya

how does that change anything

>used to be an idea guy
>actually learn how to make a game
>don't like any of my ideas

There's just so much user you'd need a full course.

No your ideas just lost their flavour.
You abondened your idea mojo for mad programming skills.

Now you are stuck with programming skills, but your ideas don't have the imagination power they used to have.

Cool, thanks

May I steal one of your ideas?

Will having almost identical controls to a popular game get you sued?

>idea guy
>learning how to make game
>have to deal with constant envy to make something else because I'm bombarded with ideas

I agree, I think a skidding one space would look more natural.
Unless you want to be able to launch onto a one space wide walkway.
Could you not program that into the movement or cannon script?

reminder that ideas are worth less

Because now you have enough knowledge to know your ideas were always trash

less than what?

hmm, but ideaing is a skill in itself
like programming
like art

It sounds to me that he is not good at executing his ideas, or he doesnt remember his ideas anymore or why they were good and now arent

creativity isn't a skill it's a personality trait
you are born with it

hmm, this may be true

so some people are blessed, I guess

It's more like someone who knows nothing about physics thinking their perpetual motion idea will revolutionise the world and then they learn enough to know why it's stupid.

Ideaguys think Game A + Game B is worthwhile suggestion.

I do music on the side as a hobby so I kinda know my way around synths and effects in a musical context, what each frequency range sounds like, and so on.
The problem is that because of that, everything I try to synthetise ends up sounding more like a bad synth patch than an effect.

Let your ideas sit for a while. If you try to figure out everything out at once you'll be overly influenced by recent experiences. Spreading ideas out over time allows you to be more objective.

Also learn MDA design if you haven't already.

Are you trying for realistic/high fidelity sounds or more retro sounds? If the former, you're much better off working with real-world recordings as a base than attempting to synthesize things.

Hi Fi. I don't have access to proper recording equipment though, which is mostly why I was looking for stuff that isn't sample flipping.
I mean worst part I'll do that later since I've got a friend who has some gear and sound is not my priority right now. Just looking for some tips so I can experiment on my own beforehand.
Retro sounds are kinda easy since you can just bitcrush anything and people will believe it.

Added gates

damn style is great, nice touch with the shadow lines

But doesn't you need to be anything more than a player to see why your idea is bad?
What does it have to do with the ability to execute this idea?

You can play an amazing game in your head, and the ability to make this game proramming wise and art wise will not make this idea any worse.

A game is about playing it, not making it.

i wanna make a game where there is a 3rd person or top down over world with fps stages, would this be too jarring? Are then any examples of this?

>Ideaguys think Game A + Game B is worthwhile suggestion.

ok, than it's really just an "idea", I thought it would be a bit more sophisticated.

Not the programming specifically but game design, playing games doesn't automatically teach you about it.

>unity

>Magical ayy lmao that wants to probe your ass with a giant wizard staff
Truly, the ultimate enemy for a game

Maybe some people are less observing when playing a game.
They just know it's fun to them, but they can't really explain why, besides "graphics!" and "boom! explosions!".
But this knowledge only comes from playing lots and lots of videogames over many generations.

>MDA
>Mechanics, Dynamics, Aesthetics
>"Aesthetics are the emotional responses evoked in the player"
>Aesthetics = emotional responses
>Aesthetics != aesthetics (in any other context)

Game academia must be absolute trash.

Did my first hand :3

200k polys for a melted hand :3

please don't show any topology

Why do you need to mirror frames in the first place?

I'm part of it. Games aren't seen as srs bsns by anyone doing psychology. The best people got is people pushing them as AI testbeds. There are no concrete definitions of a good game or its parameters, only analyses of already successful games. No one has any fucking idea why anything works enough to reproduce it consistently. There are some classifications, such as player types in MMOs, which cast a net on how players interact with games, but that's largely the extent. Vidya is too new for research to keep up.

fingers usually have more than two digits per, user.

Did anyone in here use Akka(.Net) in a game engine? Or any kind of Actor model?

"Sample flipping" is basically what sound design is in this context. Just don't think of it as reusing a sample. Think of it as pitching, stretching, taking pieces of, applying envelopes and effects to, and lots of layering of samples. The samples are your building blocks. You shouldn't worry about not making every sound from scratch like some kind of enginedev (just make sure you have rights to use the samples obviously). Every sound designer worth their salt has a library of samples to work with.

It also helps to not think of sound effects as only needing to originate from recordings of the exact things you're representing. It's a form of lateral thinking I guess. There are many different sounds that can give an appropriate sense or feel that fits what you're trying to convey. I think this video does a good job demonstrating the kind of mindset that will get you further with sound design. youtube.com/watch?v=5eBgE280bmA&index=25&list=PLeGueC0cN9Y-H3gDlyw_ufgT1fKwSH9Sp

because UE4 has no way to mirror an animation

>have ideas
>all of them are either so small I could do it in an afternoon or so big it would take me years
>just want something I can make over a month or two

This is just a hobby for me, so I want a project I can tinker on for a bit. But fuck me, I've got nothing that isn't either Pong-tier or a fucking magnum opus.

Help me. How do I stop this?

That doesn't really answer the question

Shut it down

Sounds like UE4's problem.
Either way, what do you need to mirror an animation for? Most hand actions have distinct left/right differences, and for walking/running you can just offset the start frame.

Think big and then cut features.

How was he supposed to know that

I'm making flying mechas for my game, so since there's no walk cycle I kinda "shift" the whole weight of the mecha so that it will move accordingly. Kind of like an helicopter.
So for strafing I need to mirror the animations because they simply don't fit otherwise.

HOLY SHIT, BOKUDEV HAS RETURNED.

are you implying he was ever away

I haven't seen him in a few days, so I mean.

You should probably use a custom animation solution.
Mechas are rigid, so a lot of skinning computations are a total waste of gpu resources.

For something that simple can't you just negatively scale the curves

I’m sure you get this question all the time but what’s the best way to learn how to develop games from literally zero knowledge? I’m fine with reading links.

I know the basic advice of start small and make tic-tac-toe, etc.
But what kinds of coding languages do I need to learn? How exactly is a game constructed and put together? How do people take assets such as sprites or music, or algorithms and throw it together into a game?
I know there’s programs that do a lot of work for you, but I don’t understand what’s actually being done. If that makes sense. What’s the process?

Just a reminder that if you use custom literals, what you are making is not a game.

I'm surprised you didn't choose to point out how dumb Dynamics are instead. They're nearly a black box meant to poorly justify the relationship between Mechanics and Aesthetics.

Anyways, the reasons why I suggested it were because it teaches balancing isolated game mechanics with the final experienced product and because a design framework helps you focus your ideas. Once you learn those things you might as well unlearn MDA design since the rest is dumb shit.

>not using strings in your game

literally retarded

>Mechas are rigid
Mine are kinda wobbly to "human with metal", see Zone of the Enders for a way better executed version of it.

That'll only shift the positions of the bones around their reference pose, it won't pass the animation from the left side to the right side and vice versa.

It tends to be less about feature bloat and more about content. As in, I like the idea of making a monster catching game a la Pokemon or Digimon, but the hook is that your team can be any size you want, but with a total cap on power level, meaning you could have 20 small monsters, or 1 fuck-huge one. And the interest of the game would be building a balanced team of strength versus numbers.

But something like that doesn't become interesting unless you have enough monsters to feel it out. The idea NEEDS large amounts of content. And I don't want to commit to a project of that size.

My ideas just usually benefit from being able to experiment with options, but that requires making all of the options. And especially after I spent three months on my last big project before I realized it wasn't any fucking fun, I'm that awful mixture of burned out and wary of trying again.

Go download GameMaker, find a tutorial online, and follow it. Just do it, right now. It'll be hard and you'll stumble a lot, but by the time you've made a few things, you'll be much better off and informed enough to learn more.

Consider the concept of "known unknowns" and "unknown unknowns". Right now you don't even know what it is that you don't know. Get some practice in to figure out what it is that you don't know, and then learn that.

Just Like Make Game, basically.

Progress

>highlight keyframes
>ctrl+c
>click to one frame after end of current animation
>ctrl+shift+v
Is that not sufficient?

Also, it might be worth your time to learn to program first, if that's something you want to prioritize. Codecademy has a decent free course for Python and JavaScript. Both are fine starting languages.

evangelion invented this type of bio-mecha

i'm not sure the best approach is to try to comprehend everything about the pipeline all at once when you're just starting out. those questions will be answered organically as you progress, and as you answer them, you'll have more questions.
It's not like you're going to complete a course and suddenly know everything there is to know about gamedev. You will always be learning.

pick an engine and start learning the language it uses. Go from there.

The baddies look like the Michelin Man.

Your problem is similar to newdevs wanting to make an MMO. It's not going to happen. Pokemon concept has been done and cloned to death.

Reduce scope to something not explored by anyone else and have fun with it. Say, managing a submarine from the inside of it, while getting messages from the shore, your entire game being in 3 rooms with some levers.

>"Sailor, we... we can no longer see you on the radar..."

What's the best way to make an inner circle collider in godot?

Kind of annoying to manually do it.
Didn't know about ctrl+shift+v though, thanks for that.

ZoE's orbital frames are entirely mechanical, If I got that right, EVAs are partly organic.

>not explored by anyone else
>managing a submarine from the inside of it

There is a series with five installments and also unrelated indie multiplayer game where every crew member has to do his stuff to succeed.
That's not what I would call unexplored genre or even setting.

No.

You don't need text in your game.

Use pictures to be the ultra edgy cryptic negro.