obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2017
youtube.com/watch?v=mQ2KTRn4BMI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We need more of this type of game in AGDG

First for brainlets

How? We don't have any Japs as far as I know.

this game sucks

We should import some from 2ch

yeah show them some sourcepham and gaygum posts and they'll be headed right over

Hey, you're here despite that so they might

Real thread here

You're an idiot. How about making a game instead of getting into OP dramafests?

How is your Halloween game coming along?

this thread was created 9 minutes before the other one, so this is the one I'll use.

Halloween jam seems dead. Mecha jam is where it's at.

Halloween mecha

WE WON

B T FO
T
F
O

Why with another Waifu Jam of course!

Where is the lewd jam link?

Coming soon (tm)

>The Steam indie library is exploding exponentially

None ofnus are going to make it. The market is flooded.

good thing I'm not an ofnus

w-what lewd jam?

What? It's in the OP. The creator just forgot the link?

The op is just announcing that the jam is upcoming. The link will be made as soon as I make the jam page, so sit tight user.

You can make it right now and post it.

I'm gonna start on my lewd game right now!

They won't make it just like they won't make a game for it.

A lot hasn't been decided yet. When the jam will be exactly so that it doesn't coincide with anything else, among other things. Last time it was decided democratically except nobody really paid attention until it got posted on other sites. Hopefully this time more people will take note that it is absolutely an AGDG jam.

This looks great, thanks for finally posting progress in this thread.

If we don't even know if/when it will happen it shouldn't be in the OP then

It's coming soon. Relax.

>we need more degenerate cartoons

You know you can change the jam dates after the jam is created. So tell me, why don't you want to make the jam page and only have a lie in the OP?
This isn't some attempt to create a shitposter OP, is it?

>Not Cumming Later

Shit OP

Reposting from last thread for attention.

man, not only animating is hard but I'm realising I don't clue as to how to swing a sword either.

Literally the worst animation I've ever seen.

itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2017

I´ve got some funny error. I wanna compile my game so I can test everything. But the window is not there. Only compile window and it says "compiled" but no window where I can play with my char.

I notice it makes no mention about this being an AGDG jam for AGDG only. Again.

here we go

oh no

Nice, which community is hosting this lewd jam?

reddit

I have a question for you /agdg/. One of my coworkers has a kid of about 13-14 y/o or so who wants to make his own game. The kid is obviously stoked for it, but now they're asking me how to get started.

What would be a good place for a kid of that age to start off? I was thinking of pirating gamemaker studio 1 for them, so that they don't spend money on something he might not stick with. What do you all think, is this a good idea? Should I go for some other software, or even tell him to straight off learn a language? I'm not into game development myself, so I don't really know all that much about it.

Sweet. Then we don't need to put it in the OP anymore.

>thanking giving week
Oh well, I'll participate next year.

The date isn't final. I will hold a vote on strawpoll to decide the exact date soon.

>block modeling
You are rubbish. Would it hurt to invest at least a bit of time learning hard surface detailing?

When I was that age I started by learning how to mod games using Garry's Mod.
RPG Maker is another good choice for someone that young because it does a lot of the hard work for you. But it's only good for making RPG games.

Depending on your type of aesthetic (arcade/realistic) you can either watch how other games do swings, or watch HEMA/Kendo matches. If you want clean references (because actual sparring tends to look very chaotic), search for HEMA solo drills, or Kendo kata.

Things to look out for: the curve traced by the tip of the sword (gives the movement elegance), the movement of the feet (gives the wielder stability), the movement of the body center of mass (gives the animation momentum).

MIT scratch is built for exactly this scenario, if that's too restrictive you can try construct 2 or maybe a creative coding environment like processing.org

game maker is in this weird place where it's easy but not very easy and has a bunch of warts from its history that you have to know about to use it properly, so it's more like "real" coding than a lot of environments

someone care to explain why swimming/underwater level seems to be standard for 3d platformers? swimming sections in mario64 and banjo kazooie games were so boring, whereas the flying mechanics in both those games were more interesting. why not just dump swimming for flying since swimming is essentially just flying underwater anyway (medium being navigated is water versus air for flying)

more variety

also water levels have their own charm

If there is no breath meter then swimming is flying without the time constrictions (losing altitude and eventually falling). Plus what said. Entirely different atmosphere and with the right music it is great.

Because those games needed to pad out the levels with unique areas. Water is one theme for a level, just like flying in the air is another theme.

I'm not ready yet

Thanks for the replies. I've tried pitching modding to them, but they basically mostly play minecraft and their english isn't that good, so they weren't really keen on that. Gamemaker looked fairly simple to me at first glance, but I'll trust your judgement about it.

I probably should have mentioned, but they want to make a simple 2d platformer, like Mario. I did take a look at rpgmaker, but that doesn't seem like a good fit.

The MiT scratch and Construct 2 look promising. Though I wonder if Scratch will look too kiddy to hold their interest.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Depends if he is also into programming.
If not so much, multimedia fusion might also be an option.

I took a programming class in high school. He has to learn basic programming one way or another, no way around it.

code with karla

Are there any Unity games out there that don't suffer from intense garbage collection stuttering?

>everything shown in a game DEVELOPMENT thread is final
I mean these wings scream placeholder, how didn't you get that ?
Besides it's the solid view, so if there were details on the normalmap/textures, they'd be unvisible.

Realistic is completely out of the question with that kind of game.
I'll look for these three things when watching some people, the curve and feet were things I thought of but I completely forgot about center of mass, thanks for that.

No. That's a key feature of Unity.

I like to play my own game!

He did ask me what programming language he should learn, but I have 0 knowledge about that kind of thing. He initially came to me with some thing he found called buildbox, which seems to be a gamemakesort studio of thing. But they ask 99 euro a month for a license for it, so his parents obviously aren't too keen on getting that.

How do I best utilize this key feature as some manner of game mechanic?

webm?

The problem is is I launch the game first, the recorder second it does not work. I launched the game first because new code.

What helped me back in the day was having a good book.
I learned programming with a C++ book which had the focus on game development.

Back in the day, everyone said if you want to make games you need to learn C++.
And professionals still use it a lot.

Java could be an idea, because Minecraft was written in Java.
C# (C-Sharp) could be an option because there are graphics and game libraries for it, but it's also the Language which is used in Unity 3D.

So depending on how much he wants to learn actual programming, I would recommend a real language, like mentioned above or a game dev engine/environment:
For 2D: Game Maker Studio
For 3D: Unity 3D
or Multimedia Fusion because it's the easiest one I think.

I guess it all depends.

>which seems to be a gamemakesort studio of thing. But they ask 99 euro a month
wut

horror game pitch
adult sized killer babies

Took the time to add a few sentences about the date not being finalized but still didn't put that this was an AGDG jam for AGDG only. Glad we sorted out that this doesn't belong in the thread.

Lua might be a good language to learn, it's one of the first ones I learned. And there's an engine called Love2D which uses Lua, and it's free.

I feel like this was the concept of one of Junji Ito's works.

Yup, as mentioned before the OP is a shitposter. Unfortunate that the non-shitpost OP got deleted. I guess it's true that /agdg/ doesn't even have yesdevs anymore.

It might be, part of his works often revolve around body horror.

he needs to actually make a game. not waste his youth building an engine for a fucking year.

game maker studio, obviously. let him know how many tutorials are out there, and not to use the drag and drop bs. he'll learn it anyways.

I think I slowly get the hang of Game Maker Studio.

Using "scripts" like functions but also class methods.
Using objects which are not visible in game but have there own function to do something or handle data or whatever.

Soon I will be able to structure code in a way that makes sense in GMS.

>wut
I messed that sentence up. Buildbox seems to be some kind of gamemaker studio kind of thing, but they ask 99 euro a month for a license. He found it through some youtuber or another, but I quickly shot that idea down, much to the relief of his parents.

I'm tempted to load up MiT scratch, construct 2, and either gamemaker studio or clickteam fusion on a usb drive and just let him take a look at all of them and see what he likes. They've got a week of vacation coming up anyway. Also pitch him Java, C++ or C# if he wants to really get into it, with a book or classes or something.

Basically just lay out starting options for him, and then let him look at it himself. I feel like maybe only he can decide what's the best path for him.

I modified my toy raycaster to enable or disable the "fisheye correction" step at runtime and took a few screenshots for comparison. Top is without correction, middle is the overhead map (red and blue dots are vertical and horizontal intersections with the grid for a ray pointing straight ahead), and bottom is with correction. Notice how there's no distortion in the center of the screen, but it increases towards the left and right.

Reposting because my browser ate the image the first time

I bet my left and right nut that this guy is OP
>math and engine dev shit in the op
>sculpting characters
>shilling cgcookie
>constraints for animating mechanical stuff

>>constraints for animating mechanical stuff
don't make him sperg out on this again

wasn't about the sentence, I just wondered because of the monthly price.
I bet the full Adobe Suit is cheap.

>Using objects which are not visible in game but have there own function to do something or handle data or whatever.

can you describe this a little better with an example please?

learn C

And here's a diagram of why this happens.

When you draw a wall, you want the height to be based on the distance from the closest pixel on the screen, rather than the center of the screen. For a ray pointing straight ahead, this is just the distance along the ray to the point of intersection. For any other ray, it's the height of a right triangle for which the ray is the hypotenuse. The usual advice for calculating this is to multiply the length of the ray by the cosine of the angle of deflection. On modern CPUs, calculating this is pretty cheap. Most of the alternatives involve more expensive steps like multiple square roots. I think dividing one angle vector by another is the only cheaper alternative, but that requires representing your angles as vectors in the first place.

Fucking slopes

Can't wait for a better solution than Enlighten to bake my lightmaps in Unity. Baking takes five minutes with just a single room and some 22 lights.

it's pretty hard, just look at what these guys had to do to prevent it
youtube.com/watch?v=mQ2KTRn4BMI

makes you wonder why they don't just build an engine

Reposting image

God fucking dammit it happened AGAIN I swear to fucking god

An Object for example, I call it obj_sequencer.

When I run a script from an event of an npc like:
scr_showtext("Hey what's up.")
this script is not creating the dialoguebox instance and shows the text,
but instead is sending the ID of the script and the Parameters, together as an array to the obj_sequencer instance, which holds all actions which need to happen after each other.

the obj_squencer is actually "opening the dialogue box and showing the text" and "moves the npc" and "opens the door" etc...

Like in RPG Maker.

*is cheaper

not him, and in UE4 instead of GMS(never used it) but for example, my pathfinding is handled by a separate actor from the AI. When it needs to find a path, it makes the pathfinding actor run a function that will retrieve a path for the AI to follow. The pathfinding actor only contains the navmesh, and functions to find a path to a target, a point to hide, or whatever.
This way any AI will access the same data, and achieve the same results.
I'm not sure but I think the built in pathfinding in UE4 uses an actor that contains the navmesh, and the AI all use the information from that navmesh to build their path on their own.

slopes are the bane of 2D platforming code

if your game is low res enough you can go the masking route. store an array of each of your slope tiles pixels (0 for empty, 1 for filled), then when you find out which tile the player is colliding with take a point below the player and compare it to the local coordinates of the mask, if it's a hit move the player. or something to that effect, I remember a dev doing it this way and getting good results.

It wasn't. But it's reminiscent of his work for that reason, yes.

GameMaker since he's a bit too old for scratch. Though try to tell him to learn javascript or python if he does get serious Wish I was as serious as him