/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Flipping the fuck out edition. As you grip your nailgun, it begins to dawn on you that everything you are about to do may be a colossal waste of time.

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Current Q:C News: Fuckin' nothing, I guess. When's the next patch, id? At this point I'll even take cute Slash cosmetics. I'm desperate, Timmy.

Latest Q:C patch:
bethesda.net/community/topic/113187/patch-notes-early-access-update-18-10-17

Pastebin with download links for FREE GAMES: pastebin.com/NzQifF9b

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

Q:C custom weapon skin showcase, compelte with dual wield:
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play Q:C
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

Q3VG5, the Forgotten Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

bethesda.net/community/topic/114533/does-different-framerate-means-different-damage-for-lg/48
youtube.com/watch?v=qM8DjYLPqzU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>As you grip your nailgun, it begins to dawn on you that everything you are about to do may be a colossal waste of time.

>Unload all NG ammo on someone
>Hit once

How does it even make sense

I don't have any memes to git first so here's a cute Hunter.

1. that's not hunter, just her inspiration
2. THICCCC

more chocolatey goodness

So who tf is her then

On the other hand:
>Shoot SNG down q3dm6 bridge to quad
>Someone jumps past sideways to get through my line of spam
>20, 20, 20, 14
???
?????

You're doing DANGEROUS THINGS, user.

Character from an old Simon Bisley comic, presumably one that ran in Heavy Metal and was retold/continued/something-ed in its own comic years later (Full Cirkle). In the comics her name is Ashen, she's blonde, has a father, and regularly takes the skull off.

14 means you somehow hit then with the splash but not the actual projectile. Nails have splash like the old plasmagun, they're not just pinpoints like the actual Q1 nails.

The problem is I somehow hit the poor guy 4 times as he strafed jumped through a straight line of nails. He was not near a wall and I wasn't shooting at the floor so the 14 was weird.
Somethings fucky.

Welcome to Quake Champs.

>bring back super nailgun
>it's actually a plasma gun
Why not just call it a plasma gun?

because nails are cooler

One of the things I like about it is that they brought back the Q1 nailguns instead of plasma.
The game is slow enough that they can be useful unlike QW.

>Why not just call it a plasma gun?
A weapon shooting nails feels more badass than a weapon shooting lame ass pussy plasma

It sounds like shit compared to Q1 though.

user would you want to burn your enemies or nail them to the wall and display them to whoever dares to enter your domain.

I think it sounds pretty cool

>has a father
fucking incredible
Dostoyevsky died wishing he could write characters as deep as that

I had to make a list of character traits and that's the only thing I could think of, you nutter.
hunter's backstory about the sorg fucking everything up is better anyway
all lizers must fry

we need more of these

>Tfw double q1 skin nailguns master race

Most satisfying weapons

the q1 starting nailgun might be the best skin in the game

god damn the netcode pisses me off.

So, written smut of Slash getting punded by the robot when?

Patch incoming

Inb4 Wolfenstein 2 only skine

another fix to check

Railgun is the Rick and Morty of weapons.

Nice

>i suck at using the railgun and can only talk in memes

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the railgun. Its skill is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the rails will go over a typical player's head.

Clever joke my user.

>most of the rails will go over a typical player's head

500 mb of bj skins

>only 500mb of skins
Fuck this game

BethLauncher says diffrent...

The bethesda launcher is buggy.
In the past it would show that you downloaded the entire game when it updated, even if you were just downloading a patch.

IDK what's going on now but I wouldn't trust it.

>new skin for my main
noice. except I an not going to buy Wolf2 electric boogaloo since my pc can't run it

What's the shittiest toaster that could still play QC?

Are the Wolfenstein games any good?

I enjoyed DOOM moderately. I enjoy QC greatly. Would you recommend?

I've only played the first one but it was pretty fun, and now people are saying the new one is even better so I guess go ahead?

it's not so much buggy as uses a different accounting. it seems to work the same as the eso launcher and displays patch progress. steam is churning the same but it just says update queued while eating the hard drive at 70 MB/s.

It's impossible to say right now, since performance changes constantly. Maybe when the game gets further along in development you'll be able to say more accurately.

wolf 3D, while basically being a more simple doom is real fun. Butt if you want to play Wolfenstein at it's best go play Return to castle Wolfenstein.

wth is going on in this pic

Do you guys sometimes force yourself to use only rail in certain games only to improve aim? Like in ffa, tdm or ca. Even when you're in close quarters, you force yourself to be a railwhore.
Also, /r/ this with rangers but with slipgates instead of showers.

How about the new ones? New Order, Old Blood, 2?

>noice. except I an not going to buy Wolf2 electric boogaloo since my pc can't run it
Same here - I'm stuck with GTX 680 2GB + i5 3570k and they also went full retard with i7 in specs.

>Do you guys sometimes force yourself to use only rail in certain games only to improve aim? Like in ffa, tdm or ca. Even when you're in close quarters, you force yourself to be a railwhore.

I considered it but no.
Using the right weapon at the right time is also a skill that needs to be exercised.
But I see the point of course.

don't know just ripped it form images.

>No fix for weapon ROF being tied to framerate
Not playing until then. You need to always exceed 90fps to get proper ROF for everything. And I definitely go under 90 under certain hectic conditions

those nazi dominas were some of my earliest faps

>tfw stuck with i5-2450m and it's integrated graphics

I tailor it to my competition. If I'm playing against a lobby-full of doombabbies or otherwise squishy enemies, then I use the rail and RL. If it's full of Sorlags, Rangers, and Scalebearers, I use Shotgun and Nail a lot more.

I only use LG in fair 1v1 fights, which are rare for me because I have a very ambush-y playstyle, esp. in deathmatch where rolling up with a shotty or nailgun can be deadly if they don't expect it.

TNO, and old blood are fine, but if you play return first you would have a better experience IMO.
I feel your feel bro

>tfw stuck with i5-2450m and it's integrated graphics

Decent step forward

Where's that CPM video where the guy railed a fully stacked guy five times in a row and made him ragequit?

that will never change
it's an incredibly bad design decision and will stay with the game
game performance is abysmal too which might be deliberate so people would upgrade their hardware

Didn't one of the devs say they have a fix coming on the forums?

afaik they said.

>it's an incredibly bad design decision and will stay with the game
It's probably not a design decision.
Some guy outlined why it's probably happening on the forum, it seems like it's a fairly usual bug.

It's like it is with many things in Quake. They're pretty open to feedback, they're not stupid, just slow and there's a lot of stuff to do, and a lot of these things should maybe have been sorted out before Beta

>that will never change
>it's an incredibly bad design decision and will stay with the game

bethesda.net/community/topic/114533/does-different-framerate-means-different-damage-for-lg/48

>Wanted to give an update on this bug. We have identified the issue and are currently working on a fix in progress for a future update.

How does early access fit in relation to alpha/beta anyway?

Wasn't QC in Pre-Alpha at the beginning of the year? I don't actually know.

>How does early access fit in relation to alpha/beta anyway?

I don't think there's a standard definition of what is what. Alpha and beta is already somewhat fuzzy, early access is just something steam introduced.

>Wasn't QC in Pre-Alpha at the beginning of the year?

It was in beta, but there is no tangible difference between the beta that was during spring and what's going on now.

It was beta, they moved it to steam, now it's early access. Maybe it can be called both desu.

Servers up

It seems like performance is better this patch, but the LG is still trash.

>bethesda.net/community/topic/114533/does-different-framerate-means-different-damage-for-lg/48

really hope i'm wrong and they're not hiding garbage fundamental mechanics. the forum post is a good sign

It's not the worst, Quake Live isn't exactly intensive, and Toxikk also runs ok

>Toxikk
Is it alive? I own it, but never played it that much because lmaonoplayers.

I only have the poorfag version so I can't say for sure how many servers there are, but it doesn't have trouble finding matches for me. Kind of makes me wish Quake Live also had a quick match button desu.

cool, installing now. All I want is to feel like I'm 17 playing ut2k4 again.

idk how close it is, but it's pretty fun, hitboxes are quite smaller and movement slower than in Quake, so it feels a lot like a more modern shooter with fast movement.

he he he

>Fixed an issue which caused every player to drop a fram when a player respawns. THis issue especially impacted matches with high player counts, resulting in frame loss and poor performance.
I wonder, if can anyone confirm, did it fix stuttering?

Did performance improve slightly?

My performance is much better this patch.

No she won't

HUH

smooth as eggs now on an 8ms dallas server

im pretty hype desu

yeah feels a bit better now

Are you seriously not getting the early match stuttering and rubberbanding?

This fix will literally prevent one frame from dropping. A single one. It should be imperceptible to most people

Max server cap is 8, even if other 7 people connect at the same time, a 7fps drop should be unnoticeable if you're above 60fps

>This fix will literally prevent one frame from dropping. A single one. It should be imperceptible to most people

It's possible that there are other undocumented choices.

Thanks for the wallpaper.
wot Q2 map?

This is one of those space maps, isn't it?

How did people strafe jump and stuff on the space maps? I'm guessing they didn't as much? I slide along walls instead of turning and this makes me nervous. Yes I'm a newfag.

youtube.com/watch?v=qM8DjYLPqzU
here's a pic without the ledge in the shot

not a space map

also you would strafe jump the same way you would on any map

HUH

theres about 5 seconds worth of what i think is texture loading during the warmup. afterwards its completely smooth. my rig is old dual xeon and an r9 280. medium settings everything 16gb of old ass ram. ssd