Individualism is a spook

Individualism is a spook

Without the systems we are embedded in (social political, cultural, technological, ecological, economic) we are nothing.

Consequently, "picking yourself up by your own bootstraps" is as impossible as a perpetual motion machine.

Agree or disagree?

duh

How does any of that make it out to be a spook?

>individualism is a spook
>1. the habit or principle of being independent and self-reliant.
being independent by habit is not spooky. being independent by principle is, however, spooky.

>2. a social theory favoring freedom of action for individuals over collective or state control.
spook.

>Without the systems we are embedded in (social political, cultural, technological, ecological, economic) we are nothing.
objectively false. if you were to discontinue participation in such systems, you could continue to exist.

>Consequently, "picking yourself up by your own bootstraps" is as impossible as a perpetual motion machine.
nice poetry. what does it mean?

>what does it mean
You can't actually pull yourself up by your bootstraps, its a non sequitur. Do you know how bootstraps work? They're attached to your boots. If you try to life yourself up by them you will fail. Make sense?

yes, but how is it relevant?

"pick yourself up by your bootstraps" is unironically championed by the >muh free market types who also champion >muh individualism.

>objectively false
You only THINK that. Read some Foucault.

How does individualism remove people from ecological systems?

so because someone can't physically lift themselves by a piece of their own clothing, they can't live as an individual? sounds pretty non-sequitor to me.

no, it is objectively false that you would stop existing if you did not participate in a social system. foucault is a polticial theorist, not a philosopher, I have no interest in people who make up spooks for a living.

I don't agree with your opinion on perpetual motion but that's another topic all together.

The fact of the matter is that individualism is a thing. That does not mean that individualism exists independently of collective entities.

Don't bother. This guy has no interest in Foucalt or reading in general. He just likes to jack off to pictures of Stirner.

t confucius

You've clearly never read Foucault. And "Spooks" isn't "things I don't like".

Systems are a spook.

Without the individuals that make up the system, the system is nothing.

I don't agree or disagree. I just think you're painting only half the picture.

you've clearly never read stirner. foucault deals directly and only in spooks.

If society is a perpetual motion machine then what the fuck is the destination?

Lame argument based on the fallacious notion that human progress is linearly directed at utopia. Utopia is a dream and it doesn't get any better

>we are nothing.
Spooky.

This.

What's wrong with dealing in spooks.

Spooks are an evolutionary mechanism. We need them.

nothing, inherently. I simply have no interest in playing games of make-believe. you have two options: you can be right, or you can be wrong. dealing in spooks is choosing to be wrong.

>Individualism is a spook
no shit. literally everything is if you serve it against your own best and greatest interests. next topic.