Just been accepted to M&A division of an industry-specific investment bank, from a semi-target school...

Just been accepted to M&A division of an industry-specific investment bank, from a semi-target school. Will be starting after I graduate this Summer.

AMA. Open to everything but particularly if you want any advice on the recruiting process/finance industry.

what is your GPA?
Did you have any relevant work experience?

Enjoy your non-existent life and your 6 hours of sleep at night.

I still have nightmares of getting told at 1:30 AM "this must be on my desk by tomorrow morning"

Or getting yelled had for having a double space at page 43

In the UK, so 2:1 or first depending on my grades from the exams I sit in May. Only requirement is I get a 2:1. I think GPA equivalent is probably 3.5-4.0

I had only week/fortnight work experiences. Twice in a PE office (informal weeks), one week in a corporate finance dept and a fortnight in M&A.

Good team, this won't happen to me.

>Good team, this won't happen to me
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
*breathes in*
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

You naive little fuckwad, you're still a fucking baby. I got a very similar job after just graduating college last December.

Enjoy fucking hell you newfag. And get the hell off this board.

Given that I've spoken to almost all analysts and associates there I know what to expect. Fuck yourself

Also, calling me a baby while being less than a year ahead of me LOL. Just offering advice for a process that is very competitive

Being this mad over nothing.

Yeah, no. You could've spoken with everyone but when a fire drill happens, you have to shut the fuck up and work.

And if you are on multiple project as i was, when 2 or even 3 went live you were in deep shit.

Deep as working all weekend and leaving at 2 am on a sunday, or working during every single holiday beside christmas.

We had from 24th to 26th free for christmas, and someone a couple of levels over us complained that we had too much vacations.

A VP i knew very well was in the office on the 24th till 11 pm, so yeah, no.

This kid is in for a ride.

Ok dude, could you tell me more about a firm you don't know? Thanks

I admit i was naive as him went i first entered. After a couple weeks of getting assfucked on the reg i realized the mistake i made.

My shop was a complete sweatshop, but i stil couldn't believe people were sleeping less than 3 hours at night or doing back to back allnighters.

Fuck that.

All IB and especially M&A is the same. If you're not working >80hours a week, you are at a shop/division with shitty deal flow.

I admit London has actually gotten better in the last years after that kid died at Merrill, but i can still assure you it will be an insane grind.

Thanks god i've gotten out of M&A.

Not saying it won't be a grind but I am fully aware of the culture of where I'm going.

Since you're out name the sweatshop?

Rothschild, but i wasn't in London. In my country it's the best together with Lazard for exit opps.

Haha no lie that was going to be guess. Not heard a single positive come from people who have worked at Rothschild

So are you guys all in PE now or what? What do Europeans do after banking?

Are you fucking retarded, you haven't even started your job. At best you did a summer there. Why would anyone ask you about the "finance industry" when you aren't even in it.

Half the people posting in this thread are more qualified than you to do this, but you don't see them being attention whoring pieces of shit.

Rth London is better tho. I have a friend who's an Associate in their healthcare team and they aren't as sweatshoppish as my office despite being the best team there.

The worst are the obvious Goldman TMT, Merrill consumer, Morgan Stanley M&A.

I hope you're at Citi, for what i've heard they have the best balance. Balance as in you're still working 80 hours but can also have a life.

I specifically said about the recruitment process of the finance industry

I'm in consulting. Really liking it so far, everything is better beside the comp and a little more propension to office politics even at lower levels.

London track is somewhat similar to the US, with much less focus on MBAs.

Rest of Europe is unstructured, many career bankers, no MBA, many VPs and above leaving for corporate or government roles.

>working 80 hours a week for 250 days a year excluding weekends = 20000 hours
>average salary of an IB is around 100k

Tell me again why do people wageslave away for $5 an hour, which is even lower if you work weekends?

>working 80 hours a day
>what is math

Because in two years you make double that. In 5 you're clearing 300k.

what do you even like about IB? Is it just the pay?

No one lasts 5 years in IB.

You haven't even started yet, faggot

I recruited your mother last night

Yes and the pay is shit

Are you making 300k?