What was / is the real-world equivalent of paladins?

What was / is the real-world equivalent of paladins?

Let's not forget that the holy warriors of various fantasy settings are not cold-blooded killers - while they follow a God (or some kind of a "good" spiritual force), they are forbidden to be selfish, "evil" or just simply an asshole.

While they were many kinds of "holy" warriors throughout history, most of them were simply after selfish and / or material goals.
Most jihads and crusades were bloodbaths, and there were no spiritual acts or achievments in the battles.

Also let's talk about the spiritual side of this topic: a holy warrior must be, well... holy.
It's not just about being a knight or a suicide bomber jihadist; you don't even need to be really religious to do such a thing.

I understand the paladins of these fantasy settings are not real.
But what is the CLOSEST real-life equivalent of the "holy warrior"?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Swiss guard?

>Swiss guard?

Sounds legit.
>Recruits to the guards must be Catholic, single males with Swiss citizenship who have completed basic training with the Swiss Armed Forces and can obtain certificates of good conduct. Recruits must have a professional degree or high school diploma and must be between 19 and 30 years of age and at least 174 cm (5 ft 8.5 in) tall.

The chaplain of the guard reads aloud the oath in the language of the guard:
>I swear I will faithfully, loyally and honourably serve the Supreme Pontiff Francis and his legitimate successors, and also dedicate myself to them with all my strength, sacrificing if necessary also my life to defend them. I assume this same commitment with regard to the Sacred College of Cardinals whenever the see is vacant. Furthermore I promise to the Commanding Captain and my other superiors, respect, fidelity and obedience. This I swear! May God and our Holy Patrons assist me!

Military orders maybe?

>What was / is the real-world equivalent of paladins?
Late medieval knights. Well in theory at least.
Paladins are called that specifically because they call back to the chivalric ideals of service and faith propagated by 11th-14th century literature (chanson the geste and shit).

Any military that protects its people?

>nobody over 30
Literal fuckboys.

Give me something like blackwater or CIA SAD with a ton of soldiers over the age of 50.

I thought paladins where the mythical bros of Charles the hammer.

But are / were they holy?

It's not just about being good or heroic - there's a spiritual side of what we're talking about here.

Paladins were real though:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin

They weren't mythical, they were Charlemagne's knights.

The early Knights Templar were created to protect pilgrims going through the holy lands and took monastic vows.

Then they became greedy bankers no different from Jews.

I understand wikipedia is a great source of fast synposis, but we really should stop using it.

They use a lot of Herodotus tier numbers instead of scientific guesses (which would be 17x as accurate)

Also, they don't mention authoritarian capitalism in this wiki page, but mention racism/misogyny.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

Sikhs

>religious obligation to be armed at all times in order to defend the innocent
>also to feed and shelter the needy
>actually follows through on both, and have historically been ferocious fighters, without engaging in conquest or forced conversion
>live and let live policy towards other beliefs

Came here to post this.
Basically, the faith obliges you to be a sant-sipahi, literally a saintly soldier. The obligation to protect the innocent extends to any creed too, a Sikh should protect an innocent Muslim from Hindus just as he should protect a Hindu from Muslims.

The downsides are that some of them still follow caste and varna distinction (despite the clear ban), and that emigree Sikhs often form mafia-like structures to protect their community.

Paladin is just a derivation of comes palatinus, a court based high noble. Certainly Charles Martel's inner circle would have been made by them.
Their reputation as spotless christian heroes and perfect knights (in spite of living centuries before chivalry was a thing) comes from their depiction in late medieval literature.

Sikhs are bro-tier.

>must be over 5'8
f-fuck you guys, your uniforms are stupid anyways

new recruits must be under 30.

same reason the US military doesn't take people over a certain age. It's too late to start learning a radically new skill set

>CIA SAD with a ton of soldiers over the age of 50
Source on the claim? The US army cycles out SF operatives in their late 30s early 40s on grounds of physical unfitness, I seriously doubt SAD/SOG keeps 50yo geezers in the field.

it was not unheard of for bishops to lead war parties

All you're asking for are crusaders and jihadis who are somewhat more sincere than the thinly veiled adventurers who are after riches or glory. But that's not really any sort of real-world equivalent to a paladin, at least in fantasy gaming terms.

A holy warrior in real life is just someone who embraces the spiritual or doctrinal framework for the physical if not violent supremacy or glory of a faith, but a paladin is someone who performs a service for their deity out of devotion and duty to them, and is usually able to commune with and receive tasks and blessings from them.

That sounds more like a prophet or mystic than a faith-militant. Someone who talks to their god and acts not because of doctrine but actual divine inspiration.

>Then they became greedy bankers
t. Phillip "la Bel"

>The downsides are that some of them still follow caste and varna distinction
Some things are just too good to do away with.

>A holy warrior in real life is just someone who embraces the spiritual or doctrinal framework for the physical if not violent supremacy or glory of a faith, but a paladin is someone who performs a service for their deity out of devotion and duty to them, and is usually able to commune with and receive tasks and blessings from them.

true

>Someone who talks to their god and acts not because of doctrine but actual divine inspiration.

Now that's the problematic part, I guess.

Paladins are based on templars.

Osama bin Laden is a modern day paladin and most of ISIS as well

think about it

>think about it

Really made me think, user.

Paladins vs. Saladins

Who's more holy?

>The Paladins, sometimes known as the Twelve Peers, were the foremost warriors of Charlemagne's court

>Saladin

Literally who?

Saracen pALADIN

Paladins.

Dude who singlehandedly caused at least two Crusades.