Should I take a pay cut to get a shorter commute?

Should I take a pay cut to get a shorter commute?
> current job $23 per hour, 45min drive each way
> possible job $18 per hour, 10 min drive each way + Overtime possibilities

No. You're almost taking a 25% paycut.

If you want a shorter commute then move closer to your work or get a job closer to where you live that pays at least equal.

if you could squeeze it to 21 bux, it could be worth it

This. Just move closer to your current job.

As great as OT seems, you have to realize the diminishing returns from working more hours, as well as the wear and tear on your body and health.

At time and a half, your OT hours would be $27 per hour, but that's only after a 40 hour work week. To make the same weekly income you would need to work 47.5 hours. You've saved 5 hours a week on the commute, but lost 7.5 hours working to make the same money, and what happens when you don't get that overtime?

There's some free math, but I wouldn't turn down a few (You)s to cover my expenses.

These guys get it.

same type of jobs?

Listen to a podcast while you commute if you hate it that bad, OP.
There's tons of them for stuff like nerd stuff, business stuff, guys who essentially shitpost to each other on mike, etc etc.

Different jobs

Improv podcasts are undiluted poison.

depends on how much you value time

time is gold, buddy.
also longer commutes are fuckin stressful. my 35 minute commute puts me in a bad mood every single day.

If you work an 8 hour day you will be making 40 more dollars for 70 minutes of driving. If you are willing to work for 18$ an hour why wouldn't you want to take this extra hour at 40?

Plus it's kind of embarrassing to make 18.

My commute is 2 hrs 49 minutes per day.

What could possibly make someone endure that shit on a daily basis?

Do you get paid $50+ per hour? Does you qt femboss suck you off on the daily? Or what? Explain.

Meant to say 2 hrs 40 minutes.

I dont drive. I have to take two buses to work. The actual distance is ten miles each way. I live on Oahu so this takes an inordinant amount of time.

I make about $90k a year gross.

I get a raise to $24 as soon as I get promoted
BUT it could be a year or longer. Pretty much guaranteed tho so the $18 is for +-12 months

I appreciate you math fags

t. had to take pre algebra in high school

Take the paycut.

Commuting kills the man. I'm serious bro commuting really fucks us up psychologically.

I get pretty bad road rage. People in San Francisco drive like they're suckin a dick on their steering wheel and they're sitting on a secret dick in their seat

why not just buy a beater?

the fact that you mention that your in the bay area makes it so much clearer, take the paycut

I was gonna buy my coworkers car but my fucking parking space was stolen by my building manager due to "repairs". Should have it back by end of month. Also Im trying to move back to mainland.

If u have a decent infrastructure in your town, bike to work. Now you have 90 min of fitness everyday and you will be happier.

Seriosly the stop and go of it, the cage, it really fucks people up and they don't realize it.

If I was offered $100k a year but had a 1hr commute each way, or a $50k a year but only 10 minutes each way I would take the $50k.

Every once in a while (like once a month) I will have to do a commute for my job. And it ruins my whole fucking day. Especially the return trip when you wanna get home.

then take it man. driving sucks and cars suck. in fact, start riding your bike to work instead.

it will be a bummer for a year making less but if its guaranteed to make the same it would be worth it, a year of a little more pay isnt worth the new car you might need for whatever reason

> commuted 60 minutes for my first job
> wanted to kill myself and everybody every living hour
> move closer
> only 8 minute commute
> realize that I like the job
> few years later
> excursively work from home

Best thing tbqh

> no more office drama
> no more loud coworkers
> no more rush hour
> super relaxed

when I had a 30-40 communte depending on traffic, I completely agree with everyone didn't enjoy the job as much.
then I had a 7 min commute and it was one of the best jobs I've had.
I would take the shorter commute and value my time more than a pay difference.
if you're not making your money make money for you then you should get on that.

Op here

This job I've had in SF for +5 years. When I started I lived 10mins away
Then I moved and was 20mins away
And now like I said I'm 40-45mins

I'm still on the fence about it. But being 6 miles away from work is gonna be the tie breaker

>Keep the current job
>download audiobooks to listen on commute
>become smarter

I understand your situation, as I know the commute from the central valley to SF, and it's a pain, also leaving a company that you have worked for for a long time can be tough but change is tough.

Thanks famm

A 5$ difference in pay can be offset with the right money management, I do recommend it if you haven't already

This is a pretty decent suggestion...
But I'd switch to the closer location. Right now, you're burning an extra hour of time a day for the $23/hour job.

That means, if you're working 8 hours, you're really working 9 hours compared to the $18/hour. Or... $20.44/hour for your 9 hours of time.

Bonus points: gas, car depreciation/maintenance, extra hour of time per day, can attempt to bike to new work location possibly, etc.

I just got bumped from 92k -> ~102k or so, and my commute is 12 minutes. 6 miles.

So smart
Yeah I did the math
I'm at work, unpaid lunch, and commuting 9:55 hours a day let's round that up to 10
So yeah about $19.26 per hour