Finance and Accounting General /FAG/

>Hate your life as a second year associate?
>Holding the shit back from the naive first year's as a Senior?
>Can't tell whether to laugh or cry from the sudden weight of a 100 review notes?
>Need some advice to get that juicy kool-aid saturated internship?
>Just found a SAD one week from singing?
>Got a 74 on FAR?

Come on in and be a /FAG/ !

Useful sites:
goingconcern.com/
thiswaytocpa.com/
irs.gov/
pcaobus.org/

On another note I just realized how hard I fucked myself my entering IT Audit for my exit ops.

Why all the bitching bro? I do IT audit and the worst thing about it is incompetent coworkers. What firm are you at?

PwC, I don't mind the work and I do enjoy some of my engagement teams, but I don't plan on staying past 1 year after becoming a senior.

Looking at my exit ops it looks a lot smaller than if I went into core.

Do you plan on staying? What are your thoughts for your own exit from public?

Got a scholarship to cover the CMA exam, feeling pretty happy about that

What's so bad about IT Audit? Was planning on entering this or forensic accounting, anything but tax.

i'm holding off from an accounting internship until i get to graduate school

never go to a university in the middle of nowhere if you want experience in college, fellas

>i'm holding off from an accounting internship until i get to graduate school

Don't do this get an internship under your belt for a summer or busy season ASAP even a temp job as a AP clerk is fine.
Don't do it for free try contacting local CPA practices and see if they have anything. Check out your career center website too.

Its not bad at all the hours are better than core and the IT Audit engagement teams are less "normie" than core.
Its just the exit opportunities are no where near as good as core, right now at least.

I have a master's in engineering with some advanced mathematics under my belt. What's the path to getting into finance? I want the $$$

Is enrolling to study accounting too late by 21-22?

Will I be able to compete

Quant and HFT would be my guess. Maybe consulting/advisory would be good too.

Yes its fine, its not odd to see 30 year old first year associates just don't be a shit for having to be ordered around by a 25 year old Senior and be ready to accept the natural divide from the 22/23 year old first years unless you look young and can act it.

I remember in my summer internship we had a 31 year old intern. He was cool, but it was still sometimes awkward especially when he talked about his children at the intern events.

i've talked to a few local firms and they all said they can't help me, even during busy season

all the practices in the big cities hours away are giving internships, but they only want students from their city's university

maybe i could get something during busy season if i skipped a semester of school

Yo, Texan here living in a town 30 minutes next to Houston, what's the best Finance school in Texas where I don't have to go out of state? Currently the plan is in a semester to transfer to UH from Houston Community College to get a bachelor's in Finance, but I know that all the good jobs only come out of going to a target school. I can't afford at all to transfer out of Texas, do any of you guys know of a good one that is in Texas that usually gets hit up by companies in Texas? My best guess is something in College Station, but I want to be sure.

Back in Nov. of 2016, I wanted to invest 20k in Tesla. But my father talked me out of it. Now it is worth a lot more. Personally i feel the company is doing some great things and they are coming out with great new technology that has potential. But I know the US is really hesitant to change, preventing new technology to replace older technology. Things like their solar panel roofing ideas, cheap electric cars goals, etc. seam to be capable of making Tesla have a successful future.

My question is, since I missed the band wagon and my 20k isn't going to buy me even half of what I could have gotten in Nov. is the company still worth investing in or is it peaking?

Not really, if you jumped on the hyp at the beginning I would say yes, but the second shit hits the fan and they don't sell/perform like they touted, it's gonna drop to around what they are really worth and the meme power to the name will wear off, that and other competitors trying hard now to create similiar products.

Post your resume I'll critique it for you.

Have you tried regional firms/Mid tier instead of b4?

How much is nepotism worth in getting big4 internships? Have a partner sending me through the EY recruitment system but I've never worked in finance before. I'm applying to be a data analyst.

Not very since they're hiring interns/new year's first years by the hundreds in b4 even competing against each other since they want to raise more seniors as the turnover is so high.
You'll get an interview I'm sure maybe even better treatment from the other partners and senior staff.

Its just a stable stock now.granted that tesla will probably become more intergrated as a buisness.it might take too much time for you to benefit. If you want max gainz you need to take a higher risk. Or ya know put it into something safe and just be smart

Couldn't you sell insider info as an auditor?

How would you ever even get caught?

Dumb question, but finance and accounting are basically interchangeable right? I know that many accountants can become financial analysts/consultants and vice-versa sometimes. Right now I'm in my 2nd year in accounting but I've been thinking about finance.

Is statistics/economics good degrees to pursue or are they to risky compared to finance/accounting?

Of course since we have access to financial reports, ability to talk to management of the company, and be literally inside their facilities.
>Would you ever get caught

Depends the extant and who you tell. Tell some stranger on 4chin and they make 1k off some 300 dollars in options won't prompt SEC.

But why would I endanger my life's career for some stranger or even family, and I'm sure no one would be willing to pay me 30m+ for insider info in BTC.

Accountants can go into Finance, but not the other way around(generally). The culture in finance/IB's is much different than accountants and competitive especially with new associates. Takes different personalities.

Actuaries make great money and very stable more so than Accounting imo, econ can get into fiance, but would probably have to go for an MBA to get the credits needed for a CPA
As an actuary you pigeon hole yourself and might not have good exit ops unlike Accounting and Fiance. Still ~100k out of college is amazing.

Assuming I'm a 18 year old highschool student who got accepted to a west coast Canadian University (SFU) as a Canadian student with a business major. Assuming this guy is fine with networking, showing up to fairs, going to his internships/co-ops. Could anyone give him a path towards success? His plans are to go work at a big 4 after uni to get his CPA, then work industry doing whatever. anyway i just wanted someone to give me advice cuz im a jew who doesnt want to do my own research

I feel like you could get a gig going to be honest.

>Could anyone give him a path towards success?
If you're such a driven success-oriented individual take some initiative and do your own research.
You're not going to get anywhere worthwhile off spoonfed Internet guides.

hmmmm i guess thats true, im not even a driven guy, i was a slacker until my grade 12 year when i decided to pick everything up. im scared ill lose focus in school and not get grades/internships/opportunities.

i guess i know most of the info needed to be successful anyway. thanks

3.6 high school GPA, 3.5 college GPA (currently junior), only had a McJob back in high school

i don't have any interests or hobbies worth bragging about, but i built my computer when i was 14 and can play piano alrightish

Its not hard, just keep your GPA above 3.5 and you Accounting GPA above 3.5 and you'll be golden.

Attend a fair/meet the firms talk to the recruiter not be a sperg and hold a 30 second conversation with your elevator speech then just smash the interviews.
Also have a nice looking resume that looks like you tried even put Related Courses if you cant fill out one page.
Dress decently too follow the local guideline my area ,California, was fine with just chinos,tucked dress shirt, and shoes I hear east coast(USA) is much more formal.

Check out your career center for intern postings. Most important is Summer internship after junior year = Full time offer the fall after you graduate if you didn't fuck up.

Leadership programs are good to get a summer internship easier as the recruiter will know you, but not necessary if you have other experience to put on the resume.

Make sure your school is actively recruited and search up who your local b4 recruiters are along with when recruiting season is usually early fall.

Oh yeah and ask a good question that shows that you're informed on the business environment don't ask something everyone else will ask during your interview rounds.

also only those in my county, i could check for some around 30 minutes away

Don't put your high school GPA.

GPA looks good, whats your Accounting GPA? and McJob is fine to put to fill space, just talk about how you completed your responsibilities and worked as a team member with the other employees or some other bs.

For hobbies to talk about during your interviews you can just lie I remember talking about how I loved photography and using film cameras after researching about it for a bit also how I enjoyed learning to cook. Also pick one normie sport I chose Formula 1.

Do talk about building your own computer if you can during the round of interviews if your are going into IT Audit really looks great and that your interested in IT.

Please see, getting an internship during the summer before senior is crucial to getting a full time much easier.
Search on linkedin recruiters near you from b4/or regional and email them with basically a mini cover letter email they will usually respond.

Its not 100% Necessary to getting a full time though since your grades are good, it won't be hard for you in accounting.

Its just it feels good completing senior year after accepting your full time offer.

i'm not sure what you mean accounting GPA, but I never made a C or below in any accounting course

4 Bs and 3 As, but i'm sure i can step my game up next year

Its just your the calculated GPA for your accounting major related courses only.

Your resume would be
Cumulative GPA 3.6
Accounting GPA 3.X

Looks good.

Anyone else work in Treasury?

Treasury dealer at a credit union here, ask me anything.

Does anyone actually take the CFA in Finance? Do CFA's make more than CPA's?

>Its just the exit opportunities are no where near as good as core, right now at least.

I did IT Audit at EY, left as a senior 2 and now make $120k as a sales engineer in software. Look harder.

Bump

What do you do as a sales engineer is it just sales? Like getting companies to switch to different ERP or more advisory?

Hey Veeky Forums I'm 22 and will be getting a BBA in Accounting come December. I'm gonna work the entire Spring/Summer season with KPMG and start my Masters a year from when I get my Bachelor's. My school offers a basic MS that is designed to get you enough credits to get your CPA. As well as an MS in Taxation. I have heard from some people that things like foreign taxes/tariffs make pretty decent wages comparative to other accountants same going with Tax in general. This has me leaning towards the tax program [of course it will take longer tho because it requires more courses without waivers fuck my life]. Which program do you think I should choose?

How important is the university you graduate from with a BBA?

Do Big 4 firms pay like shit everywhere? I'm in Mexico working at a consulting firm and one of the guys who joined at the same time as me used to make like 500 dollars a month at Deloitte. That's pretty shitty even for Mexican wages.

I've been agonizing over Tesla for months.

It's a 50/50 gamble.

If the model X is a huge success then yeah you're gonna make money. If the model X has problems then the stock is gonna limp along or maybe even drop.

The 300 price is based on the model X being successful.

Rice University?

This is why you join relates student organizations and take leadership positions within them. It will make a huge difference on your resume.

It's one of the most important things.

My A1 offer was 60k right out of college in cali.

Check out Glassdoor and the GC compensation threads.

I'm about to start in treasury

what can I expect? I got the job without any experience in the field and I'm just out of school

there's no accounting/finance related clubs or organizations in my uni

you think my ragtag group of friends and i could start one for shits and giggles?

Corporate treasury, or at a bank/financial services?

Also are you on the dealing side or working as an analyst?

I guess the dealing side, corporate treasury

Do we have any accountants here located in London, Ontario, Canada that are interested in a job?

Economics is the more versatile, but needs something to augment it. It's also the most risky.

Relocation bonus?
Private or Public?
Level?

Bump

UT Austin

Its top 3 in the usa for accounting

bump

what are the chances of getting into big 4 with sub 3.0 gpa? my auditing gpa is 4 btw

that feel when I have a 3.45 from a pretty decent uni (top 3 canada), over a year of internships in O&G and i cant seem to find any work.

i dont want to stoop to being an auditor... i already made way more in O&G :(

Pretty low unless If you have relevant experience. just leave out the cumulative GPA and just keep the Accounting GPA on your resume.
Only tell them if they ask. You can just do 1 year at a mid-tier and the b4 will gladly lap you up.

Go into consulting, though you'll be living in a hotel 4 times a week.

thanks man
I fucked up badly my 2 first years,and thats the GPA after I retook lots of courses
I guess my big4 ''''''''dream''''''''''' is kill

Thanks

isn't recruiting for consulting even worse than big 4 recruiting?

also i dont really mind, i live in a camp when i work on site anyways. And I'm from a small town, so im used to being in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not sure about recruiting, but from what I've seen it seems the same? I could be wrong.

Could also depend on the type of consulting too.