/domg/ - Dominions General

I want my dominions 5 edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP head first, the best learning experience is by playing the game

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Dominions 5

illwinter.com/dom5/

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/259060/Dominions_5_Warriors_of__the_Faith/
gry-online.pl/S016.asp?ID=35994
implyingrigged.info/wiki//domg/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

damn thread has been dead for a few days,

dom5 WHEN?

ded game

Do you need anything more than a N9 bless on Niefel giants?

>dom5 WHEN?
I KEEP SCREAMING BUT GOD WON'T ANSWER

Nope, unless you don't care about your shit economy.

>thread already dead
Just wait with new threads until Dom5 comes out.

How do I necromancer in CoE4?
I know about having normal commanders hand hold my spellcaster/reanimators to get around insanity, espeically goblins for the cheap chaff.
But all my good summons are banishable, there's not hand income in hades, and planar swap cheese is difficult to pull off and at best you only take out one stack.

WHEN IS IT BEING RELEASED

Not soon enough

store.steampowered.com/app/259060/Dominions_5_Warriors_of__the_Faith/
>He hasn't bought it already

Gotta love them games when you're attacked by a second person but they're not packing mage support when it's turn 34. I guess I'll destroy your doom stack and take your land?

N9B9W9F9

Has this thread really been dead for like 3 days?

I thought I was just retarded...

Yeah, is has.

My undead squad consists of two Wraith Lords leading about 200 Ghosts followed up by 400 Wights. Should I change anything?

Dominions 5 will not be released until I say so. I have taken the Shillwinter Devs hostage and I am forcing them to rewrite MA Ulm with exciting new lore and apply necessary buffs to them.
One of the new pretender options for Ulm will be a very large Todger, it will have a special ejaculation attack which spawns massive sperm units.

Fight me, cowards.

does anybody have the "what did you call me you little bat" numerous secret raids etc etc copy pasta some user lovingly crafted a while back? I enjoyed it a lot.

ay I did that a bunch in my first game, felt great
I got into defensive wars against literally every player except the ones that went AI and got eaten by not-me players. And despite the huge hit to my research, took all comers and won with basic mage support. mwahaha.

What did he mean by this?

meanwhile my pretender is crafting rings of wizardry 24/7 #YOLO

>tfw can't dual-wield hammers to craft 2 rings at a time and get attacked by twice as many horrors

Oh good, someone finally resurrected /domg/. I considered doing it myself, but I didn't want to resurrect a general just to post this. See, the next Veeky Forums League is starting soon, and the signups have been opened. I haven't signed us up though, because the threads have been ded. You guys interested in another run? I do intend to run a more orthodox formation than a winger-only offense if we do go ahead and join.

>its november
>no dominions 5 yet

Nothing But Blood Magic November

>New trait: 'Stupid'. "This unit might stop and do nothing or even attack a nearby ally." Turan Gryphons have it.

I don't know how much that changes anything (seeing as that fliers probably will continue to get rather good surrounds, ie. not too many neighbors) but it seems like a pretty nice nerf to Immortals.

That looks pretty innovative.

Of course we are interested. We are not dead, we are just hibernating.

Apparently a bunch of riderless creatures got this ability.
Including Machakan spiders.

*casts raise dead*

C'mon /domg/.

There is a reason the dragon sleeps

Ă€AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DOM5 ILLFRAUD CMON

This is your awake expander for today.

And here is your awake expander for the evening.

Those look quite nice, but I'd drop production to get rid of the drain or misfortune.

With an awake expander jumpstarting your expansion, you don't need production anywhere near as much.

Well the Lord of the Forest is for Man.
Swapping Prod for Luck still very reasonable.

Not sure about the bird (Jomon), as the samurai horsemen are quite resource-intensive.

gimme the dom5

gry-online.pl/S016.asp?ID=35994

Nov 14.. do I trust it?

I want to believe but I also don't want to be disappointed but I also want to be optimistic but I also don't want to wait that long

Where would that website have gotten the release date?

WAIT UNTIL DOM 5 YOU FREAKS

>dom 4 on half price sale
>dom 5 soon

how do I avoid temptation and wait?

Remember that Dominions isn't that great without playing against others, and nobody is gonna start a new MP game with Dom5 so close.

Go for it.

delet

>LA Caelum

someone tell amuys to stop infringing on that artist's 1st amendment rights and post the uncensored version

>it's an "underwater guy keeps attacking you even though all he does is lose" episode

How do you think about diplomacy?

like a tiger

It's useful as a weapon.

>its still not fucking out yet

Do it! I am sure things will pick up quickly when Dom5 comes out.

I like how fit Arcoscephale's mages are.

I think a lot of real life greek philosophers were pretty Veeky Forums.

All the bothersome work is done by the poor, women and slaves, leaving the upper class free to hone their bodies and minds. Truly an ideal society(if you're not poor, a woman or a slave).

Yeah there's no games running at the moment so it's reclining a bit

Where was I? Oh right, natural protection, he the heck does it work? I've read the entire manual in these 3 days and found nothing on it.

And by he I mean "how", reading 400 pages took its toll on me. Found some funny things though.

>/domg/ will insist that every single unit is useful in some elaborate way, but even shillwinter admits some are kinda useless

Alright, I've got us signed up. Might want to take a look at the roster, see if you can think of some new memes you think ought to be on there. implyingrigged.info/wiki//domg/

As an aside, did these nation personifications ever get posted somewhere other than here? I don't think I've saved them all.

It's protection that isn't granted by armor, that's all. It kinda sorta stacks with armor protection, I forgot exactly how, but you'll get diminishing returns when they're both at high values.

>It kinda sorta stacks with armor protection, I forgot exactly how

That's exactly what I was curious in knowing though. That and fear mechanics, but I abandoned hope for that one.

Nobody knows how fear really works in Dom 4, including the devs. The guy who programmed it said he forgot how he did it.

Total protection = Natural Protection + Armor - (Natural Protection * Armor / 40)

In practice this means they don't stack completely, 30 armor and 30 natural protection for example would result in 40 total protection (indeed, total protection is effectively capped at 40, unless you somehow managed to get 41 or above from one source, while having none from the other, which I think is impossible). At low protection values up to medium infantry, they're effectively additive, but heavy infantries with plate at 20 armor for example would only get +5 total protection from Barkskin and +10 ironskin. In terms of survivability against damage from mundane troops (up to 20+DRN) however, the scaling is fairly linear.

Actually, 30 armor+30 natural protection is just 37.5 protection. But anyway, 40 is the realistic cap.

There's a special place in Tartarus for people like you.

Give me:
- top 5 combat spells
- top 5 buffs for thugs/SCs
- top 5 budget summons

Value weighed quite heavily by accessibility with midgame tactics being prioritized (seeing as that that's when the game is most likely decided, not in endgame battles with Master Enslave/Army of Lead/Winds of Death/whatever).

>top 5 combat spells
Thunder Strike
Rain of Stones
Fog Warriors
Summon Fire Elemental
Horde of Skeletons

>top 5 buffs for thugs/SCs
Summon Earthpower
Liquid Body
Phoenix Pyre
Ironskin
Body Ethereal

>top 5 budget summons
Storm Demons
Lamias
Fire Snakes
Vine Ogres
Troll King's Court

Actually, scratch Fire Elementals from the list. Water Elementals completely dominate the UW fights with wars often decided by who can research it first or field more mages. Even when it's just >UW, that is a tactic so dominant it definitely should be on the list.

Thanks man. That's about what I figured but it's nice to have confirmation.

>the 8 pearl seducer is basically worthless

Bruce a shit confirmed

That 8 pearl seducer will give you free S4N2 mages when you fight monkeys or other shit with low morale.

Roster looks pretty good overall. "In That Case I'll Be Going AI As Well" might be a bit wordy. But I'm not up on my memes.

I don't know if the personifications were released anywhere else, but if I find them I'll post them.

What a scrub.

>tfw diploing your way to another easy win

Which game?

Anyone got Worthy Heroes 5.5 NN?
llamaserver dropbox link is ded but I want to look through some old turn files

specific game was DontStaleDesuSenpai if anyone who played in it is still here

What's NN? I have Worthy Heroes 5.5.

no nerfs
5.5 nerfed bat heroes

the problem is I can find regular 5.5 everywhere but NN nowhere

You have large stacks of chaff and good magic to put behind it.
Immortal vampires are flying, tough enough to take out a moderate garrison on their own, can kill infinite chaff if they get good spells, and respawn if they're killed.
Not many people have banish on tap, and all your strong summons just get event to Hades where you can just go and planar swap them back into play.
Bully people with vampires that they can only stop with a serious force, and keep harassing their sites. they won't have the manpower to catch your raiders and also stand toe to toe with your chaffworks and mages

What are hands?

Can you hide and wait in your own province in Dominions 5?

First PBEM win! Most of the players were at a low level of experience/skill, but so am I so I think that balances out.

I had a lot of fun playing Patala, my main gripes being that their troops suck a lot. Communions and cool summons (especially Dakini/Siddha kind of make up for this though).

This game I expanded early on with elephants, even managing to "accidentally" bump Midgard and kill their hero with a good squad of elephants. A few bought provinces and a bit of bullying later, I was the largest nation on the map, with only Midgard and Atlantis being nearly as big.

Jomon and Abysia failspanded, which made them easy targets. Lemuria, Atlantis, Midgard, and Ragha ended up getting chunks of the former. Ragha, Atlantis, and I ended up with chunks of the latter.

Then there was the matter of the ghosts. Midgard, Atlantis, and I allied together and drove them back to a couple sieged forts, where they would stay in their 0 pop lands for the rest of the game.

For a while there, Bogarus was fruitlessly attempting to fight Ragha and not making much headway while I got some blood online and forted a couple thrones. Then Midgard and Atlantis both decided to attack Bogarus. Accordingly I readied troops to attack both of them from the rear to take their thrones.

I ran into a small stumbling block since I didn't know Atlantis' research and got owned by Grip of Winter/Rigor Mortis/Wailing Winds in a couple places, but after a couple turns of huge scripting I managed to deal with it via Relief, plus my reinvig bless and the availability of Fog Warriors/Will of the Fates/and Living Earth/Water. Dakini raiding eventually let me cloud trapeze onto a throne surrounded by raghan provinces and then Wizard's Tower it the next turn while claiming it.

I think the biggest things I would do differently if I played this match again, would be getting blood online earlier and getting more scouts into it, and taking more advantage of the massive death income access granted by Lemurian Deadlands and the Throne of Death. I did have a couple Vampire Lords by the end, but I never did anything interesting with them.

And last, but not least. My dumb Pedoseion SC.

get a load of this pankoman! Congratulations. Always wanted to pull off a Wizard's Tower maneuver at a key moment, but have not yet had a game where I was in the position of having the right research with the right moment. Glory to the one true god!

Cute

40 is an actual cap, you can't get armor or natural protection to go above it even with modding.

That makes sense since you'd get really weird behavior if you could go over 40 protection. If you had 50 protection armor, adding ironskin would REDUCE your overall protection.

Are troll kings or storm demons really a budget summon? The first costs 60 gems and the second is, to my knowledge, the most expensive blood summon on a per-unit basis.

The special resource for necromancer in CoE.

Storm Demons are a budget summon because nothing is quite as killy as them.

But I don't know that guy's reasoning.

>accidentally mix units of different morale into a squad
>enemy gets initiative
>fires 1 volley
>kills 2 bats
>routed

thats bats for you

the demons are the actual problem

Is Malakal dead?
Can we finally have out amateurish games, where ANYTHING is possible, everybody makes retarded mistakes and everybody has a fair chance of winning again?

I'm so nostalgic about our games without Malakal.
I was part of the Forester Bob game and it was fucking great.

I'm pretty sure that had more to do with lack of skill rather than lack of Malakal.

Everyone in that game was flailing about pretty terribly, so non-optimal strategies actually had a chance of working.

>I'm pretty sure that had more to do with lack of skill
In that particular game yes, but I had plenty of games with decently skilled people which were fun, because they don't tryhard like Malakal does.