What role did slaves play in ancient economies?

what role did slaves play in ancient economies?

I understand some societies had lots of them, but what exactly did they do, who did the profits go to and how were they managed/acquired?

As far as im aware usually slaves went to the rich since they were usually pretty expencive.

>buy slaves
>put them to work
>???????
>rape

Were they used to cannibalise native wagecucks as modern history entails?

Technically i guess, if a country had peasants or something similar then slaves werent that useful since you could force the shit jobs on the peasants. Slaves cost money, peasants will work for peanuts.

work so we don't have to nor our friends.

>le foreign workers.
>Slaves!
Modern history just shows wagecucks who demand more wages & benefits get fucked by people who can work for less

it's pretty taboo to enslave your own people, you get cursed.

They did the shit work. In ancient Greece, working for another person had the stigma of being slave work. That means most citizens had management-type jobs or were laughed at for doing slave work.

The Roman economy was heavily dependent on them.
The Romans acquired most of their slaves thru conquest.
Slaves were used for everything from Brute Labor in mines and the fields, to skilled crafts, teaching, and household chores
Slaves were a status symbol. Some patricians would have so many slaves that each slave would only be responsible for one task: This slave puts on my boots, this slave combs my hair, etc.
Emancipating Slaves was also a status symbol. Not only did you have so many slaves that you could restrict them to only doing minor tasks, you could also afford to free many of them. I'm told that Octavian had to pass laws to limit the amount of slaves a master could free to prevent labor shortages.
>profits
I don't understand why you would even ask that. The profits from their sale, or labor? I know that slaves could sometimes earn money (as they could in colonial and early USA) which they often would use to buy their freedom.

>>profits
>I don't understand why you would even ask that. The profits from their sale, or labor? I know that slaves could sometimes earn money (as they could in colonial and early USA) which they often would use to buy their freedom.

what was the distribution of the profits of slave labor. did every roman own one, did 1% of romans own 99% of the slaves, or what.

it seems to me the best way to understand an economy is to start at the basic work and follow the money. so that.

when will it be my turn to have a french or germanic slave

bump

Slaves weren't energy, they were capital.
The ancient world used them as money.

>Emancipating Slaves was also a status symbol.
FUCKING VIRTUE SIGNALERS REEEEEEEE

t. catonian

Trumps 3rd trimester, when anime becomes real and we colonize Mars.

>Trumps 3rd trimester
stop using dem fancy words you don't know, Cletus

They were capital. Industry was the shift to a form of new non-human capital. That's one of the reasons for the civil war.

but how was capital formed

Economic productivity.

Trump will be a one term president. Dems will sweep in 2018, they didn't try that hard this time.

They were existent in basically most economies where there was vertical and horizontal economic stratification. In some societies they were primarily agricultural laborers, especially in the case of severe labor shortage and where people could easily be coerced into labor. In other societies slaves worked mostly in the domestic sphere.

Why do Muslims refuse to get rid of their slaves?

I know a lot (most) Muslims are against slavery, and I know people of other/no religions also have slaves, but Islam seems to have a bigger issue than most groups out there.

it's less virtue signaling and more wiping your ass with 100 dollar bills

Pretty much everything.

>who did the profits go to and how were they managed/acquired?
wtf kind of dumbshit questions are these.

the 'profits obviously go to the owners

you buy slaves from people that sell them. or just go out and catch them yourself

you manage them by telling them what to do and punishing them if you dont. and you might want to figure out how to keep them from running off

Read Marx

how was the profit from slave work distributed between social classes

He said ancient economies not the current economy