How do I become stoic?

How do I become stoic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ItwGz43a_ak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Adherence to their precepts I'd imagine.

>lying this hard
You have to pay the fee of entry, retard.

Become a Buddhist, it's essentially the same thing.

OP here

Is stoicism a coping mechanism for the depressed?

literally anything can be a coping mechanism for the depressed if it works. Give it a try. It wont cure your misery, but it might give it meaning.

History of Rome
youtube.com/watch?v=ItwGz43a_ak

stoicism will present itself eventually

Read about the philosophy, practice the philosophy. Also make sure you pay your entry fee.

What meme in missing out on?

Meditate.

No, it's to forge you into a more stable and staunch person. Christianity is very stoic, but also very mournful.

Just try to become a sage

conflict self-imposed tyranny ;^)

>Christianity is very stoic

Become stoic

>monks and priests
>refraining from all good shit (at least before novus ordo)
in the realm of stoicism friend

stop caring about things

>refraining from all good shit

But that's not stoicism, stoics don't say that eudaimonia can only be achieved through asceticism, you're mistaking them for the cynics.

You should've specified monkhood

Always strive to improve yourself, don't worry about things that aren't under your control, try not to get attached to earthly things, accept your mortality.

Why do you give a fuck?

It's exactly the stoic thing.
What you refer to are the Roman stoics that butchered stoicism to make it more attractive to Roman elites.

You're right about the Stoics, but that's not exactly true of the Cynics. They believed in asceticism as being in accordance with nature, but not the self-denying, masochistic asceticism of Christian monks.
Stoicism was always Cynicism-lite, along with a bunch of metaphysics included.

stoicism is not for everyone
just like how most people can have a little bit of drink and handle it
if you can't handle your emotions, stopping them totally is the only option. just like for an alcoholic quitting drink totally is the only choice

I've said this in another thread but Christianity is Stoicism + Judaism.

Read The Hermeneutics of the Subject. By the end you'll understand Stoicism, the founding ideas of Christianity and a bunch of neat stuff like Plato without going through the trouble of reading say... Alcibiades and so on yourself and trying to figure out what the fuck they mean.

Then decide if you want to live Stoically. It's not bad, as ideologies go. Wouldn't say it's a coping mechanism more than any other ideology. Remember we understand the world through structures, or we're left in a perpetual existential crisis - pick one that works for you and work it.